PDA

View Full Version : Source: Bills' Edwards "staying put"

Coach Sal
03-17-2009, 11:30 AM
I wrote this before all the Scheffler/SIRIUS rumors, which by the way I have still yet to hear or see a factual link regarding. That's why I mention Scheffler as a "possible" trade target.

If someone has a link from SIRIUS/NFL, etc. stating something definitive please post it.

My story on front page:

www.SalSports.com (http://www.salsports.com/)

shelby
03-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks Sal. So far, no link anywhere on Scheffler.

ddaryl
03-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I knew Cutler wasn't going to happen... but the whole idea that the Bills would swap QB's was pretty funny.

I still don't understand Bills fans... A QB in Buffalo pretty much has 8 games to prove he is the next coming of Montana, Brady and Manning combined before many Bills fans demand new blood

Raptor
03-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Good enough for me bring on Tony S!!!

Mahdi
03-17-2009, 11:42 AM
I knew Cutler wasn't going to happen... but the whole idea that the Bills would swap QB's was pretty funny.

I still don't understand Bills fans... A QB in Buffalo pretty much has 8 games to prove he is the next coming of Montana, Brady and Manning combined before many Bills fans demand new blood
Edwards has had 22 games so far. Im not calling him a bust. Im not saying he can't be a solid QB in this league, but Cutler is proven.

OpIv37
03-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Honestly, I don't care either way.

Edwards hasn't proven anything yet and may be another bust. Cutler would be an upgrade, but he'd also be expensive (in terms of both compensation to Denver and salary), and he has an attitude problem, so I wouldn't be 100% sold on him anyway.

Long story short, I wouldn't mind the upgrade but I'm not upset that it didn't happen.

BlackMetalNinja
03-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Edwards has had 22 games so far. Im not calling him a bust. Im not saying he can't be a solid QB in this league, but Cutler is proven.

That's comical...

Cutler:
17-20 career record, 62.5% career completion percentage, 87.1 career rating

Edwards:
12-11 career record, 61.6% career completion percentage, 79.1 career rating

I'm not sure how Cutler is really any more "proven" than Trent, except that he's played an extra season's worth of games.

THATHURMANATOR
03-17-2009, 11:58 AM

Not funny at all really

Its not about giving a guy too much or not enough time to prove himself, it is about acquiring a proving probowler for a guy with potential. Why wouldn't you do this? Don't get me wrong I am for Edwards and believe he could succeed.

justasportsfan
03-17-2009, 11:58 AM
That's comical...

Cutler:

Edwards:

I'm not sure how Cutler is really any more "proven" than Trent, except that he's played an extra season's worth of games.

One went to the probowl the other hasn't. Doesn't mean Trent won't be better down the road but so far based on what we have Culter is more proven.

Philagape
03-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Cutler's proven he can win games or lose them. The quantity is proven, but not the quality.

THATHURMANATOR
03-17-2009, 11:59 AM
That's comical...

Cutler:

Edwards:

To say that Cutler is not a more proven QB is ludicrous.

BlackMetalNinja
03-17-2009, 12:00 PM
One went to the probowl the other hassn't. Doesn't mean Trent won't be better down the road but so far based on what we have Culter is more proven.Pro Bowl means nothing to me personally... My point is that neither of them have been overly impressive thus far. We know Cutler has a cannon for an arm and has put up big numbers on occassion, but he's also prone to turnovers and a bad attitude, along with telling everybody just how great he thinks he is, we don't have much real evidence that he's going to be a successful franchise QB.

BlackMetalNinja
03-17-2009, 12:01 PM
To say that Cutler is not a more proven QB is ludicrous.That's a real easy statement to make, how about putting some substance into it and tell me WHY you think he's so proven?

bigbub2352
03-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Edwards is loved by the coaches he wasnt going anywhere, now i hope this is true abotu Scheffler he is the addition Trent really needs to get this offense moving in the right direction

justasportsfan
03-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Pro Bowl means nothing to me personally... My point is that neither of them have been overly impressive thus far. We know Cutler has a cannon for an arm and has put up big numbers on occassion, but he's also prone to turnovers and a bad attitude, along with telling everybody just how great he thinks he is, we don't have much real evidence that he's going to be a successful franchise QB.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2008&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Although there are other circumstances that lead to such FACTS/stats , it's better than what you got other than you're a abills fan.
nuff said.

ddaryl
03-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Not funny at all really

Its not about giving a guy too much or not enough time to prove himself, it is about acquiring a proving probowler for a guy with potential. Why wouldn't you do this? Don't get me wrong I am for Edwards and believe he could succeed.

I'm laughing ...

because it kills our salary cap, and it kills our ability to improve the team around a guy who already understand our Offense, and the team respects.

We trade for Cutler we won't have many draft picks left to build upon. We won't have much cash to cap room to keep players or bring in players to fill holes we have now. We will have a QB who will need to learn and entire new offense.

I view trading for Cutler another step backwards for this club. Lets get ourselves a solid LG lets gets and OLB, lets get Peters locked up, lets move forward not trade for a QB and leave holes that should not be avoided.

Personally I'm tired of the QB carousel.. Stick with a guy and let him develope.

djjimkelly
03-17-2009, 12:08 PM
TRADE HIM FOR CUTLER AND WE HAVE A TEAM AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

PH83
03-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Edwards has had 22 games so far. Im not calling him a bust. Im not saying he can't be a solid QB in this league, but Cutler is proven. Sorry, but I'm calling BS.

Ultimately neither Cutler or Edwards have proven crap in the league. Remind me, how many playoff games has Cutler won? How many championships has Cutler won?

Cutler is marginally better than Edwards at this juncture. Both have issues with making bad mistakes at the wrong time, both have issues with accuracy, both have yet to do anything worth talking about in the NFL thus far. The only thing that Cutler can hold over Edwards at the end of the day is arm strength, one of the most overrated aspects of QBing.

If you held a gun to my head and told me to pick one would I choose Cutler? Absolutely, but taking into consideration what would have to be given up to acquire Cutler would I do it? Absolutely not. The Buffalo Bills have far too many holes to fill and a change at QB is not going to make a big enough difference to make it worth the number of picks it would take. Add that to the fact that James Cook and Cutler have both expressed an interest in a new contract and there you have it.

All of that taken into consideration it's Edwards > Cutler

Philagape
03-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Other QBs who have been to the Pro Bowl:
Derek Anderson
Jeff Blake
Gus Frerotte
Elvis Grbac
Kordell Stewart
Vince Young

Going by the Pro Bowl, Ruben Brown is a Hall-of-Famer

BlackMetalNinja
03-17-2009, 12:11 PM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2008&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Although there are other circumstances that lead to such FACTS/stats , it's better than what you got other than you're a abills fan.
nuff said.Maybe I should rephrase... He puts up a ton of yards, but where has it gotten Denver? I think many would tell you that Denver is a better team than Buffalo, but their record doesn't prove that... Edwards has a better winning % than Cutler, and we all know that Wins and Losses ultimately mean more than any yards, TDs, rating or anything else. I'm not trying to say Edwards is a better QB, I'm simply saying I don't think either of them are all that proven.

Mahdi
03-17-2009, 12:20 PM
That's comical...

Cutler:

Edwards:

If the Broncos didn't have the worst defense ever they would have won at least 5 more games last year. Some games Cutler spent on the bench cause his D couldn't get off the field. They were ranked 25th in ToP. Seeing as how they had the 2nd ranked offense in the NFL, if Cutler was on the field more there would have been different outcomes.

Mahdi
03-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Sorry, but I'm calling BS.

Ultimately neither Cutler or Edwards have proven crap in the league. Remind me, how many playoff games has Cutler won? How many championships has Cutler won?

Cutler is marginally better than Edwards at this juncture. Both have issues with making bad mistakes at the wrong time, both have issues with accuracy, both have yet to do anything worth talking about in the NFL thus far. The only thing that Cutler can hold over Edwards at the end of the day is arm strength, one of the most overrated aspects of QBing.

If you held a gun to my head and told me to pick one would I choose Cutler? Absolutely, but taking into consideration what would have to be given up to acquire Cutler would I do it? Absolutely not. The Buffalo Bills have far too many holes to fill and a change at QB is not going to make a big enough difference to make it worth the number of picks it would take. Add that to the fact that James Cook and Cutler have both expressed an interest in a new contract and there you have it.

All of that taken into consideration it's Edwards > Cutler
Call BS if you want. Cutler has a 62% completion percentage so accuracy is not a problem for him. Yes Edwards has 65% but how often is Cutler targeting players downfield and how often is Edwards targeting Rbs and short dunks that pad his percentage.

Cutler's arm is way more than just marginally better than Edwards', its way better and he is way more confident with it.

Third, Cutler threw for over 4000 yards and 25 TDs, he has PROVEN that he is a play maker in this league, as for winning in the playoffs. You need more than just a high powered offense to win in the playoffs. Indi proved that when their defense was integral in the 2006 super bowl run.

PH83
03-17-2009, 12:25 PM
If the Broncos didn't have the worst defense ever they would have won at least 5 more games last year. Some games Cutler spent on the bench cause his D couldn't get off the field. They were ranked 25th in ToP. Seeing as how they had the 2nd ranked offense in the NFL, if Cutler was on the field more there would have been different outcomes.
While we're making excuses:
- Edwards had the worst TE corps in the NFL.
- Edwards had one of the choppiest OL's in the league.
- Edwards had a defense that can't spell "turnover."
- Edwards had one of the weakest WR corps in the AFC.
- Edwards got virtually no help from the running game due to a poor OL.
- Edwards had a rookie OC who showed his flaws regularly.
- Edwards dealt with injury off and on last season.
- Edwards played in one of the toughest divisions in football.
- Edwards plays for Dick Jauron.

I've got more if you need them, just ask.....

PH83
03-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Call BS if you want. Cutler has a 62% completion percentage so accuracy is not a problem for him. Yes Edwards has 65% but how often is Cutler targeting players downfield and how often is Edwards targeting Rbs and short dunks that pad his percentage.

Cutler's arm is way more than just marginally better than Edwards', its way better and he is way more confident with it.

Third, Cutler threw for over 4000 yards and 25 TDs, he has PROVEN that he is a play maker in this league, as for winning in the playoffs. You need more than just a high powered offense to win in the playoffs. Indi proved that when their defense was integral in the 2006 super bowl run.
Tell that to the Rams...

Mahdi
03-17-2009, 12:27 PM
While we're making excuses:
- Edwards had the worst TE corps in the NFL.
- Edwards had one of the choppiest OL's in the league.
- Edwards had a defense that can't spell "turnover."
- Edwards had one of the weakest WR corps in the AFC.
- Edwards got virtually no help from the running game due to a poor OL.
- Edwards had a rookie OC who showed his flaws regularly.
- Edwards dealt with injury off and on last season.
- Edwards played in one of the toughest divisions in football.
- Edwards plays for Dick Jauron.

I've got more if you need them, just ask.....
I can agree with 90% of that for sure.

But when I watch Cutler throw the football which at the end of the day its what it comes down to. He does it so much better than Edwards does.

PH83
03-17-2009, 12:28 PM
I can agree with 90% of that for sure.

But when I watch Cutler throw the football which at the end of the day its what it comes down to. He does it so much better than Edwards does.
I won't argue that Cutler is the better QB, I just don't think he's worth what it's going to take to acquire him.

Mahdi
03-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Tell that to the Rams...
Rams had a good D. Not great, but good.

Kevin Carter, Dre Bly and London Fletcher come to mind.

justasportsfan
03-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Maybe I should rephrase... He puts up a ton of yards, but where has it gotten Denver? .
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&season=2008&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

must be his fault huh?

PH83
03-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Rams had a good D. Not great, but good.

Kevin Carter, Dre Bly and London Fletcher come to mind.One of the worst in the league that year too. 25th in total defense.

Point is, Cutler is going to come into the same situation here in Buffalo is you use up all your draft picks to go after him.

THATHURMANATOR
03-17-2009, 12:34 PM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&season=2008&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

must be his fault huh?
Dont remember Cutler playing defense.

All in all I am fine with this though.

In Trent we trust.

He will have all the weapons he needs.

justasportsfan
03-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Dont remember Cutler playing defense.

All in all I am fine with this though.

In Trent we trust.

He will have all the weapons he needs.
their O would probably be even better if their D got them the ball back more often.

TacklingDummy
03-17-2009, 12:44 PM
To say that Cutler is not a more proven QB is ludicrous.
He has better stats than Jim Kelly did after 3 years, Cutler is not proven. :rolleyes:

Bills fans wouldn't know a good QB if it bit them in the ass. How many good QB's has this franchise had, 3?

PH83
03-17-2009, 12:46 PM
He has better stats than Jim Kelly did after 3 years, Cutler is not proven. :rolleyes:

Bills fans wouldn't know a good QB if it bit them in the ass. How many good QB's has this franchise had, 3?How many ring does Cutler have again?

TacklingDummy
03-17-2009, 12:47 PM
How many ring does Cutler have again?

:lol:

Cutler still has a shot at one, how many does Kelly have?

mybills
03-17-2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=2851193&postcount=14
:curtsey:

justasportsfan
03-17-2009, 12:50 PM
:lol:

Cutler still has a shot at one, how many does Kelly have?
he gets more shots due to his diabetes

Ingtar33
03-17-2009, 01:21 PM

proven what?

Rank 16th: Cutler: 86.0 QBR
Rank 17th: Edwards: 85.4 QBR

Cutler: 8-8 starting record (Cutler didn't finish 1 game he started)
Edwards 7-7 starting record (Edwards didn't finish 2 games he started)

That said. at this point in time in his career, Cutler is a better QB then Edwards. But for all of Cutlers amazing numbers he's looking more and more like Jeff George, a guy who will put up big numbers but who won't win you football games.

OpIv37
03-17-2009, 01:25 PM
That said. at this point in time in his career, Cutler is a better QB then Edwards. But for all of Cutlers amazing numbers he's looking more and more like Jeff George, a guy who will put up big numbers but who won't win you football games.

is that really such a bad fit for Buffalo though? This team is not built for throwing the ball, and Jauron doesn't like to throw the ball anyway.

I'm not upset that we didn't get Cutler- I'm just throwing that out there for discussion.

mikemac2001
03-17-2009, 01:33 PM
I can live with TE and i can live with cutler

Cutler has a better arm
Edwards has a better mind

I think cutler will cost us to much to get it done and i would be afraid of backlash from the offense i mean its there QB some people might not take it well

THATHURMANATOR
03-17-2009, 01:41 PM

Bills fans wouldn't know a good QB if it bit them in the ass. How many good QB's has this franchise had, 3?
Just to be clear I think Cutler is very good. I want him in buffalo.

justasportsfan
03-17-2009, 01:42 PM
at this point in time in his career, Cutler is a better QB then Edwards. .
thats all we're saying.

THATHURMANATOR
03-17-2009, 03:06 PM
That's a real easy statement to make, how about putting some substance into it and tell me WHY you think he's so proven?
Maybe when Edwards actually has a 300 yard game we could start to discuss this point.

I like Trent mind you.

I don't want to bring in records of either as both teams have had overall problems.

jamze132
03-17-2009, 03:23 PM
We could have had Cutler but instead we got this Donte Whitner dude.

HAMMER
03-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Maybe when Edwards actually has a 300 yard game we could start to discuss this point.

I like Trent mind you.

I don't want to bring in records of either as both teams have had overall problems.

You can't blame a lack of 300 yard games on Edwards, it takes play calling, RAC yards, etc. That is a highly overrated stat, you should know this Thrum.

Philagape
03-17-2009, 04:05 PM

Yeah, cuz that's what quarterbacking is all about. Yards :insane:

BlackMetalNinja
03-17-2009, 05:02 PM
So you guys are clearly arguing a different point. I was not discussing who was a better quarterback, I was discussing whether or not either of them were "proven". Long story short, passing yards and TDs don't mean much without victories.

3 years as a starter, losing record, cannon arm... reminds me of another QB I know of, but he's not quite so popular around here.

justasportsfan
03-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Yeah, cuz that's what quarterbacking is all about. Yards :insane:
Philagape , how's his TD coming along then? It's definitely not better than Cutlers is it? At least Cutlers led his O to the top of the league . Qb ranking? At least bring something to the table to show that trent is better than Cutler at this point other than you're his biggest fan.

chubluv
03-17-2009, 11:06 PM
I personally think stats Dont tell the true story. Cutler has a losing record because of a not so good defense in Denver. Edwards doesn't have alot of passing yards or TD's because of such ****ty play calling in crucial situations IMO.

I also think that if the Qb's on our roster stay the same from today until opening week end. Trent will be auditioning for his future here in Buffalo. This will be his last chance we can not afford to wait another year for him to develop.

Kenny
03-17-2009, 11:26 PM
This will be his last chance we can not afford to wait another year for him to develop.

Agreed. If he doesnt play well, that will most likely mean that the team wont be playing very well either (our defense isnt good enough to carry this team). Meaning new coaching staff in 2010, which will likely mean a new QB.

This is his 3rd year coming in, and he's got some decent weapons. While I like him, he still has alot to show before Im convinced that he's the franchise QB.