X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

Robert Ayers visiting Bills

Tennessee DE Robert Ayers told Scout.com that he’s currently in Buffalo visiting with the Bills and will be there until tomorrow, Wednesday March 18th.

After spending most of his career as a backup, situational defender, Ayers finally broke into the starting lineup this past season and recorded 49 tackles, 15.5 for a loss and three sacks.
    Stay up to date with all the Atlanta Falcons football news, free agency, NFL draft, and more at 247Sports.com

A two day visit
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Re: Robert Ayers visiting Bills

3 sacks in his only year as a starter.. i just do NOT get the facination.. you are drafting him ENTIRELY on potential.. no production at all.

just crazy.

i hate the guy.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
      3 sacks in his only year as a starter.. i just do NOT get the facination.. you are drafting him ENTIRELY on potential.. no production at all.

just crazy.

i hate the guy.
      While what you say is true I would also take a look at his TFL. Definitely doesn't have the numbers but he is good at both reading the pass and run. So yeah not your sack guy but he can get pressure in the backfield.

Comment

• clumping platelets

All players drafted are drafted on potential

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
          All players drafted are drafted on potential
          obviously.. but usually the potential you are talking about is based on SOME production... not 1 sack every 4 games.

i am just saying.. the guy was never even a dominant player in college.. he could only beat 3 college tackles for a sack, but you think he will do WAY better in the nfl??

if your going to draft a guy based entirely on potential and absolutely NO COLLEGE PRODUCTION, then you sure as **** better not do it in the first round. that is why a team ends up picking high again the next year.. he is a matt jones..
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• X-Era
            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
            obviously.. but usually the potential you are talking about is based on SOME production... not 1 sack every 4 games.

i am just saying.. the guy was never even a dominant player in college.. he could only beat 3 college tackles for a sack, but you think he will do WAY better in the nfl??

if your going to draft a guy based entirely on potential and absolutely NO COLLEGE PRODUCTION, then you sure as **** better not do it in the first round. that is why a team ends up picking high again the next year.. he is a matt jones..
            I agree. Yes, its about potential, but you better know alot about who your drafting. We just dont know if he can be that bigtime rusher for us at this point, he just doesnt have enough tape to make this a sure thing.

Id rather give up some size and go with a more polished rusher.

Comment

• Don't Panic
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Dec 2005

Smokescreen.

Comment

• mybills
                81 st zoner
                • Jul 2002

The majority of his job is to tackle, right...
                49 with 15.5 for a loss...how many were for no gain?
                I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

We do not need projects. We have waited 9 long years for a playoff appearance.

We need guys who can produce. Now.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

There's a 6 minute(approx.) video of Robert Ayers on Youtube. If you guys want to know a bit of what he is about it's a good one. I can't access Youtube from here.

Comment

• methos4ever
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                      We do not need projects. We have waited 9 long years for a playoff appearance.

We need guys who can produce. Now.
                      Then it doesn't matter who we draft where, because none of them are going to be ready to be pro-bowlers in year one...

Comment

• ct bills fan
                        • Jul 2002

Hoping that they're thinking about him as a 2nd round pick, and not a first.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                          • Jul 2003

Ayers was considered immature earlier in his college career, which held him back. He even was arrested for assault a few years ago. He really turned things around last year, becoming a leader on the team and stepping up his play.

Obviously, his sack numbers weren't great and there is the question of his really only having one good year of production, but the hook on the guy is his athleticism and versatility. He has good size and can anchor like a power end, but he is a much better athlete than most ends. Some teams have even worked him out as a 3-4 OLB, because of his athleticism, and at the least he can be used in zone-blitz packages because he is athletic enough to drop into coverage on occasion. He really came on last year, but was it his maturing or just a push for money?

For the Bills, the draw is easy to see. They look at a guy who is strong enough to play inside on passing downs and quick enough to play outside. He is more athletic than most DL, but can play there because he is strong in his lower body.

Some teams look at what Justin Tuck has done with the Giants and think Ayers can be used in a similar fashion. Tuck was much more productive as a pass-rusher in college (19.5 sacks in his final two years at Notre Dame, despite battling a knee injury as a senior), but the two have similar size and athleticism. A guy like Tuck can transform the Tampa-2, which is predicated on bringing pressure with the front 4.

Ayers is going to be a riser and go higher than expected, because some will see him as a Tuck-like player.
                          Last edited by Ickybaluky; 03-18-2009, 07:43 AM.

Comment

• don137
                            • Jul 2002

I think Marv Levy stated in his book that no word has got more coaches fired then the word 'potential'. I agree we need immediate impact players especially at DE.

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by NE39
                              Ayers was considered immature earlier in his college career, which held him back. He even was arrested for assault a few years ago. He really turned things around last year, becoming a leader on the team and stepping up his play.

Obviously, his sack numbers weren't great and there is the question of his really only having one good year of production, but the hook on the guy is his athleticism and versatility. He has good size and can anchor like a power end, but he is a much better athlete than most ends. Some teams have even worked him out as a 3-4 OLB, because of his athleticism, and at the least he can be used in zone-blitz packages because he is athletic enough to drop into coverage on occasion. He really came on last year, but was it his maturing or just a push for money?

For the Bills, the draw is easy to see. They look at a guy who is strong enough to play inside on passing downs and quick enough to play outside. He is more athletic than most DL, but can play there because he is strong in his lower body.

Some teams look at what Justin Tuck has done with the Giants and think Ayers can be used in a similar fashion. Tuck was much more productive as a pass-rusher in college (19.5 sacks in his final two years at Notre Dame, despite battling a knee injury as a senior), but the two have similar size and athleticism. A guy like Tuck can transform the Tampa-2, which is predicated on bringing pressure with the front 4.

Ayers is going to be a riser and go higher than expected, because some will see him as a Tuck-like player.
                              I had the exact same analysis as you in my Robert Ayers thread in the Scouting Zone. Watching him, you really do see Justin Tuck.

Comment

Working...
                              X