PDA

View Full Version : Name five players that you would absolutely keep

chernobylwraiths
03-18-2009, 06:50 AM
as the core of this team as you jettison the rest.

Mine:
Miller (very good goalie, kept us in the race until he got hurt)
Gaustad (heart and soul of this team)
Butler (decent defenseman, young and should only get better)
Vanek (only pure goal scorer we have, needs someone to feed him)
Roy (gives a lot of effort and has talent)

I almost had to stop at three. Vanek can't do it by himself and Roy seems to be a "me" player at times. Connolly is the most talented we have, but you don't rebuild with a guy who is one hit from retirement. None of the other defensemen play well defensively and Rivet hasn't been as much the physical presence that I thought he would be (though more of one than anyone else). I have no doubts that Pomminville would again flourish as a second line winger on a team with a very good first line. Kaleta is a need as well, but you don't have a guy like that as a core player. I would keep him though. I wouldn't mind seeing Moore here for another season as well.

Dr. Lecter
03-18-2009, 07:14 AM
My list is about the same and is topped by Roy. His contract is a bargain.

I might throw Stafford on the list somewhere.

chernobylwraiths
03-18-2009, 07:22 AM
My list is about the same and is topped by Roy. His contract is a bargain.

I might throw Stafford on the list somewhere.

I waffle with Stafford. He has been largely invisible at times, but he also plays a little like Dumont did too. He sometimes brings a physicality that this team needs.

rbochan
03-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Miller
Gaustad
Kaleta

I have no 4th or 5th.

Philagape
03-18-2009, 08:37 AM
No one is untouchable.

Jan Reimers
03-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Very, very controversially, I would add Connolly. He has excellent hands, and is by far our most skilled center. If you're getting rid of all but a few guys, you'd want to keep him, because your replacements would include guys who could take advantage of his puck handling and passing skills.

bigbub2352
03-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Roy
Vanek
Miller Goose
butler
Rivet
Kaleta
Everyone else in my opinion is lame, passionless inconsistent and sad to watch

Good thing we traded for Moore and Tellqvist for our playoff push Darcy in my opinion is the number 1 problem and needs to go
His Contracts and Trades are a joke
Yes you can be picky and say he made out on some deals but i hate to say it but what have you done for this organization lately

We are to much looking for the bargain players we have a team of crap 3rd and 4th liners on every other team
We have to many Euro Dman to weak in there own zone, no leadership, no pure offensive talent besides vanek and pussy connoly who has all but disappeared and of course the media hasnt been saying much

Sad days we are living my friends
changes need to happen

OpIv37
03-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Miller
Vanek
Gaustad
Sekera
Rivet

Everyone else- meh.

chernobylwraiths
03-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Sekera scares me defensively.

Stoneludlow
03-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Miller
Vanek
Goose
Rivet
Connelly

If Gerbe was up from the farm I'd replace Connelly with him

Nighthawk
03-18-2009, 12:24 PM
No one is untouchable.

And this is exactly how I feel...there is absolutely nobody on this team that is untouchable...not even close.

chernobylwraiths
03-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Regardless, that is not going to happen. (Neither is blowing up the roster, but I digress) You have to start somewhere. You can't get rid of everybody, there is a small group of players that every person has that they would like to keep. I asked for YOUR five. Which five players would be your best five to keep around and the starting point from which you would restock the team?

Mitchell55
03-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Conolly
Kaleta
Roy
Vanek
Rivet

PUCKER
03-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Miller
Vanek
Roy
Goose
Kaleta

Nighthawk
03-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Regardless, that is not going to happen. (Neither is blowing up the roster, but I digress) You have to start somewhere. You can't get rid of everybody, there is a small group of players that every person has that they would like to keep. I asked for YOUR five. Which five players would be your best five to keep around and the starting point from which you would restock the team?

What is not going to happen? Also, anybody who has a clue, knows that this organization doesn't care what the fans think and will not change a thing. Anything on this board is just fantasy...but I digress.

Now, on to your question, which I will again state, nobody on this team is untouchable...nobody is good enough. But for s**ts and giggles...here you go.

1. Miller (only thing close to a leader on this team)
2. Butler (great, young talent...who will only get better)
3. Vanek (would trade him in a heartbeat for a player with skill and that skates hard all the time)
4. Roy (can't build around him, he's a follower...but good in a non-leadership role)

I honestly couldn't come up with a 5th player...just nothing good after those 4.

chernobylwraiths
03-18-2009, 07:04 PM
What is not going to happen? Also, anybody who has a clue, knows that this organization doesn't care what the fans think and will not change a thing. Anything on this board is just fantasy...but I digress.

Now, on to your question, which I will again state, nobody on this team is untouchable...nobody is good enough. But for s**ts and giggles...here you go.

1. Miller (only thing close to a leader on this team)
2. Butler (great, young talent...who will only get better)
3. Vanek (would trade him in a heartbeat for a player with skill and that skates hard all the time)
4. Roy (can't build around him, he's a follower...but good in a non-leadership role)

I honestly couldn't come up with a 5th player...just nothing good after those 4.

You said nobody was untouchable, insinuating you would get rid of everybody. Regardless, it didn't answer the question of the thread until this post.

Nighthawk
03-18-2009, 07:32 PM
You said nobody was untouchable, insinuating you would get rid of everybody. Regardless, it didn't answer the question of the thread until this post.

It was tough coming up with those four...that was a tough question to answer, which tells you how bad this teams character is.

chernobylwraiths
03-18-2009, 07:45 PM
It was tough coming up with those four...that was a tough question to answer, which tells you how bad this teams character is.

Why wouldn't you then pick possibly the only guy on the team with character and toughness and actually hits people?

Nighthawk
03-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Why wouldn't you then pick possibly the only guy on the team with character and toughness and actually hits people?

Because he is nobody to build a team around...no talent doesn't help the team.

Dr. Lecter
03-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Because he is nobody to build a team around...no talent doesn't help the team.

No, but he is the type of player all teams need.

He is a very good 3rd/4th line guy. And with his physical style, PK ability, face-off ability and willingness to bang around he is a key guy even if it does not all show on the scoreboard.

Saying he has "no talent" is taking a very narrow view of talent. Not all 12 forwards on a team will be 20 goal scorers.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-18-2009, 09:06 PM
1. Miller
2. Vanek
3. Roy
4. Stafford
5. Rivet