PDA

View Full Version : All aboard the Aaron Maybin train!

Mr. Cynical
03-18-2009, 07:08 PM
I just saw a mock draft on ESPN that projects us taking Maybin. I haven't been following him at all (and to be honest, not many others as I've been busy) but I have to say he looks like a fantastic athlete and we REALLY need a DE.....

Anyone have any intel on him?

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f33c07

X-Era
03-18-2009, 07:10 PM
I just saw a mock draft on ESPN that projects us taking Maybin. I haven't been following him at all (and to be honest, not many others as I've been busy) but I have to say he looks like a fantastic athlete and we REALLY need a DE.....

This one is pretty nice...

http://blog.pennlive.com/bobflounders/2009/03/maybin_significantly_lowers_40.html

life of faith
03-18-2009, 07:24 PM
It would be a dream....Trust me he will defintely be off the board in the top 3 to 5 picks!!!

X-Era
03-18-2009, 07:28 PM
It would be a dream....Trust me he will defintely be off the board in the top 3 to 5 picks!!!

I think one or even two of the following players will be there at 11:

Orakpo
Brown
Maybin

TigerJ
03-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Maybin is very nearly a lock to be available at #11. I'm not sure I want him though.

T-Long
03-18-2009, 07:52 PM
as a Nittany Lion fan, he is awesome...a flat out beast at getting after the QB...as for the pros though...I'm not so sure..

venis2k1
03-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Seems like a logical choice.

Commissioner
03-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Anyone worried about drafting a steroid user?

How the the hell do you put on 25lbs of muscle and ZERO fat in 2 months without steroids?

X-Era
03-18-2009, 09:16 PM

How the the hell do you put on 25lbs of muscle and ZERO fat in 2 months without steroids?

He weighed 249 a month ago (Feb 15ish)

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/combine/de.html

I think the 227 in Jan thing was incorrect.

Raptor
03-18-2009, 09:51 PM

When you do nothing but train 7 days a week its very possible

Mitchell55
03-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Im all abord the whoever falls out of the top 10 thats a top 10 draftee train.

Kenny
03-18-2009, 10:09 PM

cant add in 25lbs of new muscle mass in that timespan... hell I dont even think muscle memory would even be enough for that short of timespan.

But agreed with previous poster. Most likely an error in his stats being reported.

Mitchell55
03-18-2009, 10:31 PM
cant add in 25lbs of new muscle mass in that timespan... hell I dont even think muscle memory would even be enough for that short of timespan.

But agreed with previous poster. Most likely an error in his stats being reported.

No, its correct. But he didnt do steroids. They do checks almost every day leading up to the combine.

BILLSROCK1212
03-18-2009, 10:44 PM
CHOO!! CHOO!!

Mr. Cynical
03-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Maybin is very nearly a lock to be available at #11. I'm not sure I want him though.

Why not? Character? Ability? Just curious....

He really looks like a physical beast and if we get him, he would be training with T.O., who is another training beast. That kind of dedication to being in top shape could get infectious...(assuming he's not roiding, then not so good)

DraftBoy
03-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Why not? Character? Ability? Just curious....

He really looks like a physical beast and if we get him, he would be training with T.O., who is another training beast. That kind of dedication to being in top shape could get infectious...(assuming he's not roiding, then not so good)

Maturity is a question, lack of experience as well. Plus he is thought of as a 3-4 OLB prospect not really a 4-3 DE.

TigerJ
03-18-2009, 11:23 PM
What Draftboy said.

Bmax
03-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Well i would disagree with draftboy.....some what.. Yes he is young and inexperienced.. But wow what an upside ... I believe he can play DE as a situational pass rusher...At 6-4 he is taller than Orakpo and his recent 40 time of 4.61 has me very interested...

What he gives you is incredible speed of the edge...He could be a pass rush only guy for the first season until he puts on more bulk and learns the position...

What we need is a pass rusher...And Maybin can do that and then some.
When you think of Maybin think of Mathis from Indy who is about 6-2-and 245 Mathis had double digit sacks this season (11.5) for the colts.. I will take that any day of the week...

Bmax

Mitchell55
03-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Maturity is a question, lack of experience as well. Plus he is thought of as a 3-4 OLB prospect not really a 4-3 DE.

Other than Ayers, Krugar, Brown, and Orakpo, are there any other 4-3 DEs in the 1st 2 rounds.

jimbohastle51
03-19-2009, 01:03 AM
it may not be the popular pick but if we stay at 11 i think we take rey maualuga or brian cushing, i don think we really want to draft any of the "top rated" DE's this high. they love ayers but he isnt worth the 11th pick. he only had 3 sacks as a senior, he isnt a dominant pass rusher.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-19-2009, 02:08 AM

Maybin may lack experience and fall into the "one year wonder" category, but that can also be said of Ayers as well. And there are questions about the other top DEs as well: Okapo takes plays off and has been known to disappear for long stretches in big games; 2.) Brown comes out of a FSU program that has produced great athletes with guady pass-rushing stats who have not been consistently productive in the NFL; 3.) Johnson is an athletic freak who is also known to disappear in big games and has shown poor technique.

In short, there are questions about all of the top DE prospects and risks involved in selecting any one of them.

As for Maybin being more of a 3-4 prospect, I think that was more the case when he dropped below 230 by the end of the season and many thought that it would be difficult for him to put on sufficient weight to play DE in a 4-3 scheme because of his narrow frame. However, as Bmax pointed out, the fact that he has been able to pack 250 lbs onto his body without significantly losing speed (some will argue that, too) may have changed some scouts' minds about his ability to play DE in a Tampa 2 scheme where smallish DEs, like Mathis and Freeney, have been successful.

The one thing that I really like about Maybin is that he does not quit. In the Penn St. games that I saw, he was going full out all game. I was particularly impressed by his play against USC where he got pressure but just missed on sacks early in the game and kept playing hard and got a sack later in the game after Penn St. fell behind big. That was quite a contrast to what I saw from Orakpo in a couple of his big games where it was hard to notice that he was on the field at times, but he later got a sack or TFL when his team was ahead (I always worry about a guy who is supposed to be a top player when I see that).

Maybin is still raw and may take a year to develop (Mathis did), but IMHO could help as a situational pass rusher in the rotation this season.

I believe that at least one of the top three DEs, Orakpo, Brown and Maybin, will still be on the board at # 11, but I would not be surprised to see the Bills pass on a DE with that pick and take either Maualuga or Cushing or a LT (depending on how things are going in their negotiations with Peters) at that spot if they believe that the return of Schobel and improvement by Chris Ellis will bolster their pass rush as much or more than the addition of a rookie DE this season.

jimbohastle51
03-19-2009, 02:39 AM
i honestly do not think they are going to take a DE till the second round maybe later. if they want ayers, tyson jackson (the 2 they have been linked to) they can have them by trading back into the first round, or possibly just moving a couple spots up in the second. jackson is more of a 3-4 DE and ayers really hasnt done anything in college. his supposed "great senior year" he only had like 3 or 4 sacks. this guy is not a proven pass rusher. i think they want ayers at there price (later in the first or in the second) but i dont think they would do something as stupid as take him with 11. they cant afford to miss again like they did with whitner. i mean at this point they are moving whitners position just trying to keep him in the starting lineup. and leodis has a ton of potential but honestly we still have no clue how he will far over a 16 games season? and no way can the 11th pick in the draft be a nickle back for 2 years. same with the 8th pick in the daft 4 years ago playing as the 3rd safety if he doesnt get it together. i hope for our teams sake we make a smart choice and instead of reaching for a DE or TE (i honestly do NOT think pettigrew is worth a first round pick, when you can easily have a proven starter like scheffler for a 3rd) take a sure pick like maualuga or cushing. both of those guys are about as cant miss as it gets. they may not be pro bowlers but they will both be productive starters and have both been playing in a zone based defense like we run. there is alot of celing with orakpo, brown, maybin, ayers but there is soooooooo many negatives with them, and if we miss with this pick it could cost us a couple games this year since we sure arnt looking to improve by trading for peppers (he wouldnt come here if we would pay him what he wants) or a proven linebacker and kelsay isnt just going to turn it on after NEVER getting over 6 sacks in a season and rail off 10 sacks this year, also ellison isnt going to all of the sudden rack up 90 tackles and 5 picks either, so those holes being filled are crucial to our season.

DraftBoy
03-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Maybin may lack experience and fall into the "one year wonder" category, but that can also be said of Ayers as well. And there are questions about the other top DEs as well: Okapo takes plays off and has been known to disappear for long stretches in big games; 2.) Brown comes out of a FSU program that has produced great athletes with guady pass-rushing stats who have not been consistently productive in the NFL; 3.) Johnson is an athletic freak who is also known to disappear in big games and has shown poor technique.

In short, there are questions about all of the top DE prospects and risks involved in selecting any one of them.

As for Maybin being more of a 3-4 prospect, I think that was more the case when he dropped below 230 by the end of the season and many thought that it would be difficult for him to put on sufficient weight to play DE in a 4-3 scheme because of his narrow frame. However, as Bmax pointed out, the fact that he has been able to pack 250 lbs onto his body without significantly losing speed (some will argue that, too) may have changed some scouts' minds about his ability to play DE in a Tampa 2 scheme where smallish DEs, like Mathis and Freeney, have been successful.

The one thing that I really like about Maybin is that he does not quit. In the Penn St. games that I saw, he was going full out all game. I was particularly impressed by his play against USC where he got pressure but just missed on sacks early in the game and kept playing hard and got a sack later in the game after Penn St. fell behind big. That was quite a contrast to what I saw from Orakpo in a couple of his big games where it was hard to notice that he was on the field at times, but he later got a sack or TFL when his team was ahead (I always worry about a guy who is supposed to be a top player when I see that).

Maybin is still raw and may take a year to develop (Mathis did), but IMHO could help as a situational pass rusher in the rotation this season.

I believe that at least one of the top three DEs, Orakpo, Brown and Maybin, will still be on the board at # 11, but I would not be surprised to see the Bills pass on a DE with that pick and take either Maualuga or Cushing or a LT (depending on how things are going in their negotiations with Peters) at that spot if they believe that the return of Schobel and improvement by Chris Ellis will bolster their pass rush as much or more than the addition of a rookie DE this season.

I dont see how Maybin a one year starter and rare contributor his RS-Freshman year experience compares to Ayers who was a two year starterm and four year letterman at UT. Ayers has experience he just didnt come on till his senior year at all.

You make a good point though all the DE's have big time question marks but I don't see 250lbs as the threshold I want my DE's to be at, Id like to see them closer to 265-270. That more Ayers, Johnson and Orakpo territory. Those are guys who are not just reliant on speed but can hold up at the POA and have inside moves. They do not rely solely on athleticism (minus Johnson) and are decent to good run defenders. The DE's job (despite what is a popular opinion on this board) is not just to rack up sacks. Its to play 3 downs of defense and stop whoever has the ball from advancing it. I dont want a guy at 11 who only does one thing well and the rest he needs a lot of work in. I don't see Maybin or Brown as 4-3 DE's or 4-3 OLB's, if we were to take them Id have serious questions as to the direction of this team and if our FO and coaches are communicating because neither player fits. We saw how bad it was last year to have two pure up the field pass rushers at DE. It left huge gaps and containment was never completed. We got burned multiple times on cut back runs and draws. Its not hard to beat a team who's pass rush only goes in one direction.

Mahdi
03-19-2009, 07:24 AM

Apparently Maybin had an amazing workout yesterday at his Proday and destroyed questions about whether or not he can carry the weight he added.

Showed up at 6'4 250 and ran a 4.6 40. He has now become a top 15 prospect and he will get consideration from both 3-4 and 4-3 teams.

Mahdi
03-19-2009, 07:33 AM
I dont see how Maybin a one year starter and rare contributor his RS-Freshman year experience compares to Ayers who was a two year starterm and four year letterman at UT. Ayers has experience he just didnt come on till his senior year at all.

You make a good point though all the DE's have big time question marks but I don't see 250lbs as the threshold I want my DE's to be at, Id like to see them closer to 265-270. That more Ayers, Johnson and Orakpo territory. Those are guys who are not just reliant on speed but can hold up at the POA and have inside moves. They do not rely solely on athleticism (minus Johnson) and are decent to good run defenders. The DE's job (despite what is a popular opinion on this board) is not just to rack up sacks. Its to play 3 downs of defense and stop whoever has the ball from advancing it. I dont want a guy at 11 who only does one thing well and the rest he needs a lot of work in. I don't see Maybin or Brown as 4-3 DE's or 4-3 OLB's, if we were to take them Id have serious questions as to the direction of this team and if our FO and coaches are communicating because neither player fits. We saw how bad it was last year to have two pure up the field pass rushers at DE. It left huge gaps and containment was never completed. We got burned multiple times on cut back runs and draws. Its not hard to beat a team who's pass rush only goes in one direction.
DB, we play a cover 2. Undersized fast DEs is exactly the mold required for this Defense. How is it not a fit?

For me personally. I like Ayers, I also like Maybin now that I know he can move at 250. I also like Brown who to me is very Mathis like (and who could argue with having a player like Mathis?).

In short, like its been said, all the DEs have questions like pretty much every player in the draft has questions. But the bottom line is to get a player that can make plays for you and I think all the guys mentioned in this thread can do that.

I would be happy with Johnson, Brown, Orakpo, Maybin, Ayers, English, Sidbury as DE prospects for us either in the 1st or second round because each of those guys has proven they can get to the QB and dominate an OT using their respective skills. We currently dont have a player like that and one of these guys would certainly give our D another needed dimension.

DraftBoy
03-19-2009, 07:35 AM
DB, we play a cover 2. Undersized fast DEs is exactly the mold required for this Defense. How is it not a fit?

For me personally. I like Ayers, I also like Maybin now that I know he can move at 250. I also like Brown who to me is very Mathis like (and who could argue with having a player like Mathis?).

In short, like its been said, all the DEs have questions like pretty much every player in the draft has questions. But the bottom line is to get a player that can make plays for you and I think all the guys mentioned in this thread can do that.

I would be happy with Johnson, Brown, Orakpo, Maybin, Ayers, English, Sidbury as DE prospects for us either in the 1st or second round because each of those guys has proven they can get to the QB and dominate an OT using their respective skills. We currently dont have a player like that and one of these guys would certainly give our D another needed dimension.

No we don't require undersized fast DE's, that the LB position that needs fast players. Tampa was very successful running a Tampa 2 and until they had Adams did not really have an underzised fast DE. Spires, White all were successful there and they were in the 260 range. Ive maintained all along my preference for our DE's in our system. Im not changing that now, if we take an OLB to take a DE Im going to rip the pick because I dont believe it is a good fit. If Im wrong, Im wrong, Ill happily accept that but you and I have gone over this countless times you know where I stand I know where you stand. We're not going to change each others opinion on this.

Aero II
03-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Check out this mock draft. Has us taking Mabin in the 2nd round.

1 Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
2 Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
3 Chase Coffman, TE, Missouri
4 Kraig Urbik, G, Wisconsin

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009.php

Mahdi
03-19-2009, 08:10 AM

That was before Maybin's Pro Day, now he is a top 15 pick.

X-Era
03-19-2009, 08:23 AM
No we don't require undersized fast DE's, that the LB position that needs fast players. Tampa was very successful running a Tampa 2 and until they had Adams did not really have an underzised fast DE. Spires, White all were successful there and they were in the 260 range. Ive maintained all along my preference for our DE's in our system. Im not changing that now, if we take an OLB to take a DE Im going to rip the pick because I dont believe it is a good fit. If Im wrong, Im wrong, Ill happily accept that but you and I have gone over this countless times you know where I stand I know where you stand. We're not going to change each others opinion on this.

I get it, I can see your point.

And actually I agree with the lack of production on pass rushing downs. I feel like we went all out on the blitz plenty, but due to lack of speed/moves/size/strength we got held up at the line, left holes in the D, and got eaten alive at times.

Its not a bad idea to bring everyone on the pass rush... if you actually rattle the passer. We didnt and it cost us bigtime.

But in a way, thats why I like the idea of having a pass rush, smaller DE type, be out starting OLB. We can use him as a pass rusher at times, and hopefully hes stronger against the run. The main possible risk is in coverage, but I gotta think that a guy that can run a 4.6-4.7 can cover a TE for 10-15 yards.

I guess I think it makes sense that a 6' 6" 270 pound guy should not play LB. But at 6' 4" or 6' 2" and 250 ish, I dont see any size issue. The speed, now, seems to be there. So all thats left is experience. I agree, this is a position change and that will take time to learn, and theres a risk the player may never really get it. But the added ability in the pass rush may make it worth the risk. Besides, its not like Im saying we couldnt turn around and draft yet another, more true 4-3 DE... maybe Sidbury in the 2nd. Then our TE in the 3rd. That assumes we sign a true starter at G... Im still holding out hope that its Simmons and we just want to see him practice during OTA's to be sure hes healthy.

jimbohastle51
03-19-2009, 08:23 AM
i honestly think that buffalo's first choice is rey maualuga, and if they decide not to go with him i think its brian cushing. they a pass rusher later in the first or somewhere in the second. we will know for sure before the draft. NO WAY is the team going to let pat thomas, and keith ellison battle it out for a starting spot, if they were not happy with ellisons play last year why would they not upgrade? especially when they are in a spot to get the best inside LB in the draft or the second best (possibly first i just dont see curry falling to 11) OLB. give me a USC LB and i am happy. honestly i wouldnt mind clay matthews either. i think clay has more upside than maybin, because he can at least drop into coverage and play the pass better.

Pinkerton Security
03-19-2009, 08:28 AM

My brother in law put on 25 pounds of muscle in ONE month on his way back from Iraq. He lifted twice a day, morning and night, didnt even use creatine, muscle milk or anything of the like because he didnt have access to it on a ship in the middle of the ocean.

Its very possible.

X-Era
03-19-2009, 08:28 AM
i honestly think that buffalo's first choice is rey maualuga, and if they decide not to go with him i think its brian cushing. they a pass rusher later in the first or somewhere in the second. we will know for sure before the draft. NO WAY is the team going to let pat thomas, and keith ellison battle it out for a starting spot, if they were not happy with ellisons play last year why would they not upgrade? especially when they are in a spot to get the best inside LB in the draft or the second best (possibly first i just dont see curry falling to 11) OLB. give me a USC LB and i am happy. honestly i wouldnt mind clay matthews either. i think clay has more upside than maybin, because he can at least drop into coverage and play the pass better.

I would have no issue with Rey... Im a fan. Hes the type of fiery, nasty player that our D needs.

Cushing Im not sold on.

yordad
03-19-2009, 08:32 AM

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009.phpJez, I'd take that.

Aero II
03-19-2009, 08:34 AM
No kidding. That would be a nice draft weekend.

tat2dmike77
03-19-2009, 08:38 AM
The Bills will go elsewhere at 11 or trade down they will pick Michael Johnson DE from GT in the second. Who is not a bad pick. When i watched him play in the Chic Fila Bowl (Peach bowl) he was the only defender getting steady pressure on LSU's Jordan Jefferson who is a scrambling QB.

I also saw in Vs GA and he was all over Stafford and Moreno.

justasportsfan
03-19-2009, 09:12 AM
it may not be the popular pick but if we stay at 11 i think we take rey maualuga or brian cushing, i don think we really want to draft any of the "top rated" DE's this high. they love ayers but he isnt worth the 11th pick. he only had 3 sacks as a senior, he isnt a dominant pass rusher.
Turns out Cushing wasn't on the field on 3rd downs in college. At 11 you want to draft player thats plays every down.

ParanoidAndroid
03-19-2009, 01:10 PM
http://www.newsinferno.com/wp-includes/images/Train-Derail-3.jpg

He was slow as molases at the combine after he put on that weight. That was 249 which is OLB size. He could play OLB for us at his normal playing weight. Not worth #11 by a long shot.

Akhippo
03-19-2009, 02:34 PM
We blow WAY to many first round picks. If the player has a question mark; especially in the top 15, dont take him. Ill take a guard or center at that pick if they will start day one. As long as it isnt a QB, DB, or RB I will be happy.

None of the DEs are locks. The backers are adequate. The tight ends for the most part are one dimensional. We need a Jake Long or Jerrod Mayo, not a Vernon Golston.

Philagape
03-19-2009, 02:54 PM
We blow WAY to many first round picks. If the player has a question mark; especially in the top 15, dont take him. Ill take a guard or center at that pick if they will start day one.

Then you'll want Alex Mack
http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2009_NFL_Draft/Alex_Mack.htm
http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/c/Alex-Mack.php
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/prospects/alex_mack.html

Akhippo
03-19-2009, 03:10 PM
If they said you can either solidify your offensive line or defensive line with the 11th pick, I wouldnt care as long as we have one.

Pride
03-19-2009, 03:34 PM
I dont care what draft spot you have. You take the guy that is most likely to help your team THIS YEAR.

Pinkerton Security
03-19-2009, 03:36 PM
I dont care what draft spot you have. You take the guy that is most likely to help your team THIS YEAR.

thats not always true. for us, yes, i'd say we need help now.

Philagape
03-19-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm with you guys. I want safe, instant impact. No projects or potential or significant risks at 11. If that means "reaching," so be it. It's only reaching if you can't get him with your next pick.

DraftBoy
03-19-2009, 03:41 PM
If you reach at 11 because you are worried about taking a guy with question marks then you are not asking to win football games. You always maximize pick value and should never reach imo. You'll get burned yes but you'll never hit a homerun either. I don't like that theory one bit.

Bmax
03-19-2009, 05:17 PM
OK so i just don't get some of the posts against guys like Brown and Maybin..

You would rather have Cushing ? No thanks....The guy is not the kind of impact player this team needs... We need a player that can make plays with power or speed or both. Cushing does not fill the bill in my opinon. Cushing is a steady guy who will make plays but offers very little in one our greatest needs. Pass Rush

Maualuga is not the answer. Drafting him and putting Poz at OLB is not a move i would make at all. You need to increase your ability to make more plays on a consistant basis. It is a lot easier in this draft to find a quality OLB than a pass rusher . The level takes a drop after round one. There are still players to be had in round 2 but if i'm getting one of them i'm not going Cushing in rd 1.

I could see LT before Cushing in rd one with the right trade for Peters.
The only deal for Peters is a 1st and either 3 next year or a 1st and 4th this year. I'm just not in favor of really trading him at all.

So if we keep Peters and stay at 11 here are the following players i would be happy with at 11 or after trading down.

In no particular order.

1. Maybin-OLB-DE-Penn St.-11
2. Brown-FLA St. -DE-11
3. Johnson-DE-Georgia Tech -11
4. Robert Ayers-DE Tenn-trade down
5. Monroe-T-UVA-11
6. Jerry-DT OLE Miss-trade down
7. Pettigrew-TE-Trade down

Bmax

Bmax
03-19-2009, 05:20 PM
If you reach at 11 because you are worried about taking a guy with question marks then you are not asking to win football games. You always maximize pick value and should never reach imo. You'll get burned yes but you'll never hit a homerun either. I don't like that theory one bit.

Intrested in who think would be a reach at 11besides Maybin at the DE position ?

You have to remember DL are always a higher value than OLB.

BMAX

ParanoidAndroid
03-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Intrested in who think would be a reach at 11besides Maybin at the DE position ?

BMAX

Let me have at that....

There is not a single 4-3 type DE who grades out as a value at #11 except for maybe Orakpo. He's likely to be gone, though. Ayers just rose up the boards too fast. Where was he before the combine? Why did no one talk about him during the season? Maybe he is that good, but I have questions.
Maybin is simply too small and would be a project. His playing weight was around 235. He put on weight for the combine and ran slower than DE's almost 30lbs heavier. He will not play as a 4-3 DE. Brown is a possibility, but he is not a safe bet to be an impact player in a 4-3, either.

TigerJ
03-19-2009, 09:40 PM
It's been interesting to read the opinions of various draft watchers, not just here but across the internet on Maybin. I've read that his combine performance proved he can't carry the extra weight (which his pro day workout numbers seem to contradict) and that he can add more weight and be effective. His relative lack of experience is an issue for me, but it doesn't completely rule him out. I think it's clear that if the Bills do draft him, that he would start out as a siotuational pass rusher. He may never be more than that, and he may be able to put more weight on, get stronger, and learn to be an effective run defender. There are some "ifs" there, so the question is how high are you willing to draft a guy when you only know he can be a good situational draft rusher, and you're not sure how much more he can ever become? Second round? I think he could be a real steal there, but I don't expect him to last that long. Eleventh overall? You're taking a pretty big chance. Are the guys who make up the Bills' brain trust gamblers?

Bmax
03-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Let me have at that....

There is not a single 4-3 type DE who grades out as a value at #11 except for maybe Orakpo. He's likely to be gone, though. Ayers just rose up the boards too fast. Where was he before the combine? Why did no one talk about him during the season? Maybe he is that good, but I have questions.
Maybin is simply too small and would be a project. His playing weight was around 235. He put on weight for the combine and ran slower than DE's almost 30lbs heavier. He will not play as a 4-3 DE. Brown is a possibility, but he is not a safe bet to be an impact player in a 4-3, either.

Once again we need a guy with speed off the edge he doesn't have to be a guy who fits the classic 4-3 mold.

He just ran a 4.59 at 252 3 lbs heavier than he was at the combine..'

Any questions !!!!!

Draft Brown or Maybin playmakers who will be able to give us the pass rush we need and force turnovers that leads to wins in the NFL.

Bmax

Mr. Cynical
03-20-2009, 02:12 AM
All I know is without someone on the other side of Schobel, we're not going to get pressure on the QBs, and that means our CBs will have to be almost perfect, which we know isn't even close. I don't know if it is Maybin but somehow we need to fill that spot IMO.

Crisis
03-20-2009, 04:14 AM
I'm with you guys. I want safe, instant impact. No projects or potential or significant risks at 11. If that means "reaching," so be it. It's only reaching if you can't get him with your next pick.

donte whitner?

X-Era
03-20-2009, 06:24 AM

If thats where you sit, I think were talking Rey Maualuga.

I would say Maclin but hes going to take a bit to learn the system
I would say Oher but it will take years to become solid
I would say Brown, or Maybin but they will need to adjust to the pro-game and will need to learn the speed of the NFL

Rey, though, could start year one like Poz.

DraftBoy
03-20-2009, 07:26 AM

BMAX

Well Maybin is not a DE first off. There is no DE worth the 11th pick after Orakpo goes off the board. Both Ayers and Johnson are reaches at that point, and Brown and Maybin are 3-4 OLB prospects.

We reached for positions of need for players like Whitner, and McCargo. Reaching just doesnt work unless you have top level talent evaluators like the Pats do.

Mahdi
03-20-2009, 09:47 AM
http://www.newsinferno.com/wp-includes/images/Train-Derail-3.jpg

He was slow as molases at the combine after he put on that weight. That was 249 which is OLB size. He could play OLB for us at his normal playing weight. Not worth #11 by a long shot.
He is now 252 and ran a 4.59 at his Pro Day which makes him the fastest Lineman in the draft so far.

Philagape
03-20-2009, 10:06 AM
donte whitner?

If he had been taken anywhere in the first round, it still would have turned out to be a disappointing pick.

justasportsfan
03-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Then you'll want Alex Mack
http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2009_NFL_Draft/Alex_Mack.htm
http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/c/Alex-Mack.php
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/prospects/alex_mack.html
I want Mack but since we took Hangartner....

Akhippo
03-20-2009, 11:47 AM
The problem with Maybin and his weight is how much is he going to lose playing a full schedule. Is he going to even play while he adjust. When do we use a situational pass rushing 11th pick. Only third and long. What happens if his weight dips below 240 during the season?

ParanoidAndroid
03-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Once again we need a guy with speed off the edge he doesn't have to be a guy who fits the classic 4-3 mold.

He just ran a 4.59 at 252 3 lbs heavier than he was at the combine..'

Any questions !!!!!

Draft Brown or Maybin playmakers who will be able to give us the pass rush we need and force turnovers that leads to wins in the NFL.

Bmax

4.59 hand time......in track, all hand times have .24 seconds added for qualification purposes because of the hand-eye lag in humans. That equals 4.83 electronic time like they do at the combine.
He's still an OLB.

DesertFox24
03-20-2009, 12:51 PM

No you draft best player available, drafting for need is like putting a band aid on a severed limb.

Look at the steelers and pats, they draft best player available.

Mayo was the pats pick last year but they traded down till he was the best player left on their board. Which means they got the best player on the board and got more picks, and filled a position of need. They hit the trifecta, this is what we need to do. Draft the best player available or trade till the guy we need is the best player.

DesertFox24
03-20-2009, 12:54 PM
4.59 hand time......in track, all hand times have .24 seconds added for qualification purposes because of the hand-eye lag in humans. That equals 4.83 electronic time like they do at the combine.
He's still an OLB.

Robert Mathis for the colts, who had 11.5 sacks as the LE this past year is 6'2 245 pounds.

However Maybin at 6'3.5 at 252 is not a LE in the same defense.

Ok McShay, Kiper, Mayock wanna be. Not every damn DE is an OLB in a 3-4. He is only going to play on long yardage situations and passing downs anyway. He would be a force off the LE where RT are not quick enough to block him. Thus elimanating the all to common QB roll out, and forcing the QB to step into the pocket. Where he will be creamed by Williams and stroud.

justasportsfan
03-20-2009, 01:03 PM
No you draft best player available, drafting for need is like putting a band aid on a severed limb.

Look at the steelers and pats, they draft best player available.

Mayo was the pats pick last year but they traded down till he was the best player left on their board. Which means they got the best player on the board and got more picks, and filled a position of need. They hit the trifecta, this is what we need to do. Draft the best player available or trade till the guy we need is the best player.
Lynch was the bpa when we drafted him. Unfortunately I don't have that much confidence in our coaching staff to know what to do with bpa's. They force BPA to play a system.

DMBcrew36
03-20-2009, 07:17 PM

In 2 months? And no fat? No, it isn't.

Kenny
03-20-2009, 08:57 PM
My brother in law put on 25 pounds of muscle in ONE month on his way back from Iraq. He lifted twice a day, morning and night, didnt even use creatine, muscle milk or anything of the like because he didnt have access to it on a ship in the middle of the ocean.

Its very possible.

100% lean muscle mass or water weight? It's easy to add on 5-10lbs (and lose 10+lbs) in a day from water... Boxers and bodybuilders do this all the time.
But lean muscle mass... 25lbs in 1month. Not possible.

And lifting twice a day? yeah, Im sure that's really the routine for anyone who wants to get big. Anyone whose ever trained knows that muscles grow when your body's at rest (when you're lifting, you're essentially tearing your muscle fibers... through proper diet and sleep, they repair and get bigger to adapt to the heavier stress).

As I mentioned in my post earlier, the only possible way would be through muscle memory. Thought that would entail for you to be huge during a period then get small (through lack of training, food, etc...). Because you were big once before, when you hit the weights you get stronger and bigger (to what you were previously) much faster than a similar person who has never been big before.
But Maybin doesnt fit this scenario.

But 25lbs, even with muscle memory still is unlikely. To be cut (6-8%BF), not bloated with water, and still gain 25lbs of muscle... I just cant see it.

Mahdi
03-21-2009, 08:19 AM
100% lean muscle mass or water weight? It's easy to add on 5-10lbs (and lose 10+lbs) in a day from water... Boxers and bodybuilders do this all the time.
But lean muscle mass... 25lbs in 1month. Not possible.

And lifting twice a day? yeah, Im sure that's really the routine for anyone who wants to get big. Anyone whose ever trained knows that muscles grow when your body's at rest (when you're lifting, you're essentially tearing your muscle fibers... through proper diet and sleep, they repair and get bigger to adapt to the heavier stress).

As I mentioned in my post earlier, the only possible way would be through muscle memory. Thought that would entail for you to be huge during a period then get small (through lack of training, food, etc...). Because you were big once before, when you hit the weights you get stronger and bigger (to what you were previously) much faster than a similar person who has never been big before.
But Maybin doesnt fit this scenario.

But 25lbs, even with muscle memory still is unlikely. To be cut (6-8%BF), not bloated with water, and still gain 25lbs of muscle... I just cant see it.
it was 2 months not 1.

Kenny
03-21-2009, 09:28 AM
it was 2 months not 1.

I know. I was responding to pinkdogg32's comment that it was (even) possible to do in 1month.

ParanoidAndroid
03-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Robert Mathis for the colts, who had 11.5 sacks as the LE this past year is 6'2 245 pounds.

However Maybin at 6'3.5 at 252 is not a LE in the same defense.

Ok McShay, Kiper, Mayock wanna be. Not every damn DE is an OLB in a 3-4. He is only going to play on long yardage situations and passing downs anyway. He would be a force off the LE where RT are not quick enough to block him. Thus elimanating the all to common QB roll out, and forcing the QB to step into the pocket. Where he will be creamed by Williams and stroud.

That's Robert Mathis. Is his name Maybin or Mathis? I thought these were two seperate players. The player I saw when I watched Penn State, is going to be a project at DE in the NFL. A specialist you say? Role players are not suited for the 11th pick in the draft.
And another thing....I am not a wannabe....I am giving my opinion. That is what this board is for. Also, what am I doing differently that makes me a wannabe when you are also giving us your analysis? Doesn't that, according to your comment, make you a wannabe also?

Mad Bomber
03-21-2009, 04:58 PM

I'd take that. I don't see it happening though.