PDA

View Full Version : for ****s and giggles

chernobylwraiths
03-18-2009, 07:12 PM
a post of Nighthawk had me thinking of this.

Right now, would you take Drury back? Would you take Briere back? Now as I understand it, Drury makes about the same amount each season, so his cost would be about 7 mil a year. Would I give up Pomminville and Hecht for him? Yes, but I would really like to get that salary down a bit. Maybe if Drury were placed on waivers like Avery was, I would do it. I would have been happy with Drury at the 5.25 million that he would have been making the last couple of years if Quinn didn't screw that up.

As for Briere, I don't know how the salary cap works. As far as I know, a large portion of his contract was paid out in the first three years, two of which he already played (or not played). The last few years are at a much lower rate. If we traded for him, would we take a similar cap hit that Philly took because it is contract based or would we take a smaller hit since we wouldn't be paying as much for him. I know Briere is a small player and doesn't hit like the rest of the team, but he was at least a leader and would get his nose dirty to get the puck.

I only bring that up because I doubt Philly will want him after this year. He wasn't the superstar that they thought he would be, their young guys are playing good making him and his big salary expendable. As for Drury, I only think they might be willing to part with him because he isn't making them a winner, is making a lot of money for a guy with little scoring, and because I have a friend who is a Ranger's fan that would love for the guy to be off his team.

So, all depending on salary and the cap, I would still take them both back in a heartbeat.

OpIv37
03-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Drury, definitely. The guy's a leader.

Briere, maybe. He doesn't seem like a guy who can succeed without a Drury next to him. But if Vanek can play the Drury role, it may work.

Nighthawk
03-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Yes and yes...they were the heart of the team. They'd still need to get rid of some the little ladies on this team, but getting those two back would be a nice step.

OpIv37
03-18-2009, 08:17 PM
The bigger issue may be whether they're willing to come back. They weren't exactly thrilled with this FO when they left....

chernobylwraiths
03-18-2009, 08:19 PM
The bigger issue may be whether they're willing to come back. They weren't exactly thrilled with this FO when they left....

Maybe there will be a partially new FO after this season. :pray:

Philagape
03-18-2009, 08:26 PM
QUIT LIVING IN THE PAST!!!

chernobylwraiths
03-18-2009, 09:15 PM
QUIT LIVING IN THE PAST!!!

REDICULOUS THURM!!!

Mitchell55
03-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Drury yes. Briere, defintley not.

Also, with the way they have been strugling, we could probably make a trade next year to get one of them. There both 33 right? Isnt that about the same age as Rivet.

chubluv
03-18-2009, 10:47 PM
I would love to have Drury back on our roster, but not Briere. Briere has been to fragile of late.

Michael82
03-19-2009, 02:13 AM
I'd take them both back in a heartbeat and Brian Campbell too. Those 3 guys were the heart and soul of our team... :sigh:

Philagape
03-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Today's News article has a stat that illustrates what the Sabres lost in these guys: clutch.

The Sabres have been tied entering the final period 14 times. They have earned points in just six, a percentage of .429. The only teams below them are Colorado (.412) and the New York Islanders (.400), who happen to be dead last in their respective conferences.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/612459.html

They lost clutch and they lost leadership. The chickens had their heads cut off.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-19-2009, 11:03 AM
If you offered either of those teams anything short of a puck bag for either of those players, both teams make the deal to get them out and their rEdiculous salaries.

SkateZilla
03-19-2009, 08:34 PM
a post of Nighthawk had me thinking of this.

Right now, would you take Drury back? Would you take Briere back? Now as I understand it, Drury makes about the same amount each season, so his cost would be about 7 mil a year. Would I give up Pomminville and Hecht for him? Yes, but I would really like to get that salary down a bit. Maybe if Drury were placed on waivers like Avery was, I would do it. I would have been happy with Drury at the 5.25 million that he would have been making the last couple of years if Quinn didn't screw that up.

As for Briere, I don't know how the salary cap works. As far as I know, a large portion of his contract was paid out in the first three years, two of which he already played (or not played). The last few years are at a much lower rate. If we traded for him, would we take a similar cap hit that Philly took because it is contract based or would we take a smaller hit since we wouldn't be paying as much for him. I know Briere is a small player and doesn't hit like the rest of the team, but he was at least a leader and would get his nose dirty to get the puck.

I only bring that up because I doubt Philly will want him after this year. He wasn't the superstar that they thought he would be, their young guys are playing good making him and his big salary expendable. As for Drury, I only think they might be willing to part with him because he isn't making them a winner, is making a lot of money for a guy with little scoring, and because I have a friend who is a Ranger's fan that would love for the guy to be off his team.

So, all depending on salary and the cap, I would still take them both back in a heartbeat.

Cap Hit is the Average Salary of the Contract, so, Total Contract / Years = Cap Hit, His Cap hit would be the same regardless or the Year Priority being High/Low or Low/High.

I'd take Drury back, but briere is out of the line up lately just as much as timmy.... they will both be missing alot of time for whatever.

Michael82
03-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Briere looked like he was happy to be back home again tonight... :(

chernobylwraiths
03-21-2009, 06:49 AM
I think the Flyers will look to seriously unload Briere in the offseason and if they can't trade him they will dump salary and pay him off.

Philagape
03-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Briere looked like he was happy to be back home again tonight... :(

:whistle:

Tying goal and go-ahead goal. Good for him :bf1:

Nighthawk
03-21-2009, 10:25 AM
:whistle:

Tying goal and go-ahead goal. Good for him :bf1:

I'm sure glad we didn't waste the money on him! :wtf:

Philagape
03-21-2009, 10:29 AM
To be fair, he's turned into Connolly as far as staying healthy

Nighthawk
03-21-2009, 03:21 PM
To be fair, he's turned into Connolly as far as staying healthy

Maybe so, but it doesn't take away that this organization messed up on not resigning him.