PDA

View Full Version : Sanders a no-show at Mich. Sports Hall of Fame induction

Gunzlingr
05-13-2003, 05:17 PM
DETROIT (AP) -- Barry Sanders always said he didn't care about records and accolades.

He proved it again Monday night. The former Detroit Lions great sent his wife and 19-month old son to accept his induction into the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame at Ford Field.

Hall of Fame broadcaster Ernie Harwell, the master of ceremonies, called him "the invisible man," when introducing his highlight video to the crowd of about 800.

"I know this is actually anticlimactic for every one that was hoping he could be here," Lauren Sanders said on behalf of her husband. "Up until the very last minute, he thought that he was going to be able to make it. He is actually in Oklahoma, he had some other business commitments that he could not change."

Joe Dumars, one of the seven inductees, was one of many people looking forward to seeing Sanders, who suddenly retired just before the 1999 season. Sanders hasn't said much publicly since then.

"I would've loved to see Barry here, but ask me if I'm surprised. No, I'm not. I'm going to call him and tell him, I gave his speech," Dumars said jokingly.

Dumars and Sanders headlined the latest class to be inducted into the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame, during a ceremony at Ford Field.

more (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/news/2003/05/12/sanders_snub_ap/)

The_Philster
05-19-2003, 07:00 PM
There is no shortage of amateur shrinks eager to analyze Barry Sanders' psyche, and what drove him to skip Monday night's induction ceremonies for the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame.

We don't have the answer, but we know who does: Barry Sanders. And he isn't talking.

What should be known is that many perceptions about Sanders are wrong. For example:

* Sanders shunned the media and gave one-word answers during his 10-year career with the Lions. That's not close to being true.

Sanders wasn't a back-slapping quote machine, but he was thoughtful, accommodating and respectful. He didn't travel with bodyguards. No public-relations monolith kept interviewers away.

Paul Attner, a national columnist for the Sporting News, interviewed Sanders in training camp in the mid 1990s. Attner's experience was similar to most reporters who came from out of town.

"I found him to be incredibly cooperative, with great insights and a great feel for the world," Attner recalled the other day. "He really knew who he was, and he really had a great grasp of what he wanted to do with his future....

more (http://www.detnews.com/2003/lions/0305/19/c02-167370.htm)