X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

Rough draft

I'm not a big draft-report-card guy. It comes down to this: No matter how many times you read Mel Kiper's analysis and no matter how many GMs you talk to about prospects and no matter how many guys you think a team stole because the player was still available in the third round when every draftnik had him going late in the first, you can't really grade how a team did in a draft before the draft choices put on their first mini-camp jockstraps.

A couple of weeks ago, a radio talk-show host suggested to me that it would be interesting to go back five years and, looking at what has happened since, analyze how the teams made out in that particular draft. "Great idea," I replied. And the more I thought about it, the more curious I became.

Thus was spawned the idea of grading a draft after it has had time to breathe. From Peyton Manning to Cam Quayle, I've evaluated the 30 teams that selected -- and the 241 players who were picked -- in the 1998 draft, and judged each team by several different categories:

more
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!
Working...
X