PDA

View Full Version : Getting a handle on Hangartner

The Spaz
03-20-2009, 07:09 AM
He wasn’t a big name signing by any means, but Buffalo’s addition of free agent center Geoff Hangartner early in free agency shores up an important position that was sitting vacant on Buffalo’s offensive line. It was no secret that the Bills wanted to address the position quickly and decisively and they feel they’ve done that with the fifth-year pro.

“He’s athletic, experienced, which was important for us because we thought we had to have an experienced guy for what we do and what we want to do and the difficulty of that position,” said Bills head coach Dick Jauron. “Our position is so tough on centers because of the 3-4 (defenses) and the quality of the nose tackles in our division. He played against a lot of quality players. He’s young enough to be around for what we hope will be a long time and a good run.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/getting-a-handle-on-hangartner/da6e4474-ef01-4fb0-86fe-26a1cfadbfae

The Jokeman
03-20-2009, 07:17 AM
He's the typical UFA the Bills have brought in over the last few years. He was a backup with his team that came from but we think he has what it takes to be a full time starter here. See Larry Tripplett, Craig Nall, Melvin Fowler and Robert Royal as other examples.

ddaryl
03-20-2009, 08:04 AM
the old diamond in the rough Bills offseason mentality...

heck maybe this time they got it right.... or I at least hope he is better then Fowler and Preston

casdhf
03-20-2009, 08:11 AM
He did play very well in Carolina.

Pinkerton Security
03-20-2009, 08:32 AM
He did play very well in Carolina.

ya i agree, lets wait to call this one a cheap signing because that Carolina running game was pretty stellar all year, and he played half their games, including the Giants game.

OpIv37
03-20-2009, 08:37 AM
He's the typical UFA the Bills have brought in over the last few years. He was a backup with his team that came from but we think he has what it takes to be a full time starter here. See Larry Tripplett, Craig Nall, Melvin Fowler and Robert Royal as other examples.

That's my concern. I don't know enough about him specifically to say that's the case, but it certainly fits the awful FA pattern that the Bills have developed over the years.

BTW, you forgot Peerless Price, Matt Bowen, Tutan Reyes, Andre Davis...

HHURRICANE
03-20-2009, 08:59 AM
I don't drink the kool-aid anymore. Whittle was supposed to be a starter at RG.

SquishDaFish
03-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Who cares if you drink koolaid or not?

madness
03-20-2009, 09:09 AM
His play in Carolina was far better than anything Fowler and Preston ever produced in Buffalo.

That's enough for me not to worry about him being a liability on the field as much as they were.

bigbub2352
03-20-2009, 09:12 AM
I hope the Bills Front Office knows what they are doing with another backup signing to be a starter, cause our past history shows they dont and have done nothing but brought in bums to play Center

Let one of these cheap signings work out for us, let our coachs and fornt office be smarter than everyone else for once Please.....

Jan Reimers
03-20-2009, 09:13 AM
I agree that our track record with these kind of signings is not good, but Hangartner is the kind of young player that I reserve judgment on. Each case is different.

Pinkerton Security
03-20-2009, 09:28 AM
I don't drink the kool-aid anymore. Whittle was supposed to be a starter at RG.

what?! no he wasnt, he was brought in purely as depth at center and G

DraftBoy
03-20-2009, 09:43 AM
This should end any thoughts of the Bills taking a guy like Mack.

yordad
03-20-2009, 09:52 AM
He is stronger the Fowler, and way smarter then Duke. He cannot be worst then them, it would be impossible.

OpIv37
03-20-2009, 10:00 AM
He is stronger the Fowler, and way smarter then Duke. He cannot be worst then them, it would be impossible.

The problem is that we don't need someone who isn't worse. We weren't good enough up front last year- we need someone BETTER.

Now, once again, I don't know enough about Hangartner to specifically say that he's better or worse. But the red flag is that this is Buffalo's MO of signing a back up from another team to be a starter here, and that strategy has not gotten results in the past.

DynaPaul
03-20-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm not thrilled with his signing but my grandma could play center better than Fowler.

The Jokeman
03-20-2009, 10:04 AM
The problem is that we don't need someone who isn't worse. We weren't good enough up front last year- we need someone BETTER.

Now, once again, I don't know enough about Hangartner to specifically say that he's better or worse. But the red flag is that this is Buffalo's MO of signing a back up from another team to be a starter here, and that strategy has not gotten results in the past.
Exactly all we really know is that he ISN'T Fowler or Preston and assume he's better. Yet we all know what we were taught about assuming.

justasportsfan
03-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Dockery was a better player in Washington than Hangartner was with his former team. I'm not so confident in what this staff can do to make him better as a player here but I guess anything is better than Fowler , I hope.

Hangartner comes accross as another Spencer when he was with the vikings. A back up who gave quality time when he was in there.

cpearl
03-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Do we know his contract terms yet? I don't think I've seen them.

justasportsfan
03-20-2009, 11:06 AM
what?! no he wasnt, he was brought in purely as depth at center and G

Exactly!

Mudflap1
03-20-2009, 12:25 PM
That's my concern. I don't know enough about him specifically to say that's the case, but it certainly fits the awful FA pattern that the Bills have developed over the years.

BTW, you forgot Peerless Price, Matt Bowen, Tutan Reyes, Andre Davis...

Darwin Walker... oops!

Lexwhat
03-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Typical Chris Brown article.

Jeff1220
03-20-2009, 04:44 PM
It would've been easy to sell me Hangartner as an upgrade to Fowler/Preston if we still had a guard.

Goobylal
03-20-2009, 07:17 PM
It would've been easy to sell me Hangartner as an upgrade to Fowler/Preston if we still had a guard.
You mean an overpaid, under-performing one like Dockery?

Boomstick
03-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Living in NC, I got nothing but panthers games. What goes along with that is all the pregame interviews of Coach Fox and the things he always had to say about Hangartner were always about how impressed he was with his play and versatility.

Fox thought they were going to keep to be a starter this year. Ive seen him play and he's no slouch (i.e. Preston, Fowler). He really is good. I know of several friends of mine who are panthers fans who are upset that he left.

Jeff1220
03-20-2009, 08:52 PM
You mean an overpaid, under-performing one like Dockery?

I would've been happier with a plan that had Dock there than what's there now. Which, apparently, is experimenting with our back-up OT at the OG position.

Goobylal
03-20-2009, 10:21 PM
I would've been happier with a plan that had Dock there than what's there now. Which, apparently, is experimenting with our back-up OT at the OG position.
Can they really do much worse? And there are still options. Goff, Simmons, and Bentley are still available. Brian Waters is a possibility. And there's the draft. And then post-draft cuts.

OpIv37
03-20-2009, 11:49 PM
And there's the draft. And then post-draft cuts.

but this is what this team does every ****ing year. We go into the draft needing starters, and if we don't get them, then we sign other teams' trash and hope that they'll be legitimate starters for us.

It hasn't worked yet. But hey, this FO isn't going to let a silly little thing like LOSING disrupt the status quo!