PDA

View Full Version : Are these good number for 15?

Mitchell55
03-21-2009, 12:30 AM
But I have been practiceing combine drills because im going into football as a WR/QB. Here are my numbers and im just starting these drills. This is going from nothing to something so I have no expierence. These are also with my leg still partially broken

40 yd dash- 5.3 (goal is 4.9)
Long Jump- 7.4 (goal is 9.1)
High Jump- 9.3 (goal is 10.3)
3 cone- 8.7 (goal is 6.9 or 7 flat)
20 yd shuffle- 4.7 (goal is 4.1)

How are my results at this age?

ddaryl
03-21-2009, 10:55 AM
kind of hard to say

How big are you, what do you weigh, what can you lift.

Since your just beginning you are in a for an awakening, because you have a ton of ground to make up, and doing drills does not make you a football player.

the real issue is teenagers all progress at different rates and you may have peaked or you maybe just starting to grow into your body.

If your serious about this, then how many hours a day to you dedicate to training ??? There is a level of dedication that goes way beyond trying out and showing up for practice. If you even want to get recruited by a college you will probably need ot dedicate 3-4 hours a day trainging and working out. Major sacrafice is required.

In all honesty, an if you are truly serious, you need to substitute your forum posting with a serious training regimen

The Spaz
03-21-2009, 11:14 AM
You have plenty of time to get better. If you take training seriously that is.

Mitchell55
03-21-2009, 11:22 AM
kind of hard to say

How big are you, what do you weigh, what can you lift.

Since your just beginning you are in a for an awakening, because you have a ton of ground to make up, and doing drills does not make you a football player.

the real issue is teenagers all progress at different rates and you may have peaked or you maybe just starting to grow into your body.

If your serious about this, then how many hours a day to you dedicate to training ??? There is a level of dedication that goes way beyond trying out and showing up for practice. If you even want to get recruited by a college you will probably need ot dedicate 3-4 hours a day trainging and working out. Major sacrafice is required.

In all honesty, an if you are truly serious, you need to substitute your forum posting with a serious training regimen

The problem is is I live in texas so its 90 degrees in march. What type of workouts do you have in mind?

methos4ever
03-21-2009, 11:33 AM
I think that you have to keep in mind that at 15, your body still is going to be growing and changing and as such, you should definitely consider not only being just a football player - trying out for basketball, wrestling or track depending on your position will ensure that you have a level of flexibility that would serve you as you want to be recruited!

Also, in terms of workouts, food and stuff your friends may eat/drink have to become out. If you are going to be working out and doing the drills others may suggest on the board, you MUST hydrate yourself. Especially in Texas. I would hate to think that someone nearly killed themselves for the sake of a few sprints someone suggests or something like that in that sort of heat.

Finally, go to some camps over the summer if you can - for your development and so that the coaches in your area can see you. I know sometimes that can be fairly expensive for a family, but if you sacrifice a few movies or trips out to the mall, you'll definitely reap those rewards!

ddaryl
03-21-2009, 11:53 AM
The problem is is I live in texas so its 90 degrees in march. What type of workouts do you have in mind?

well if its 90 degres then getting up at 5am and start running 5 miles a 3-4 days a week. Work you way up to it. COnditioning is key !!!! But remember football games are sometimes played when the field temp is well over 100 degrees...

Other days start sprinting, Great recievers use hills, up and down, and on the beach or sand where it requires a harder effort. if you have the means drag a a parachute when you run, or an old tire

Strength conditioning requires you use your schools gym, and or a home gym and/or a gym membership. You will need to research your strength training. Remember you are trying to build muscle while maintaining flexibility. With weight lifting you need to keep in mind that you do not want to build muscle mass as much as you want to build stregth. This requires research on your part, because weight training needs to be varied over time, and a full understanding of proper weight training is crucial.

Swimming is also a great way to build muscle, and conditoning. In fact swimming is a great way to build muscles that you didn't realize you had.

Diet... You are now going to have to learn about diet, and proper calorie intake. High proteins low fat. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT !!!! again research on your part, and fidning a diet you can afford and stick with is a trial and error process along side of keeping up on the research.

There is tons of information out there in the form of books, magazines, internet/forums etc... and of course people you may know like your HS football coach / gym teacher, and a trainer at a good reputable gym.

but do not fool yourself, if you are serious then you are about to change your entire lifestyle and most people do not have that kind of dedication... it's easy to start, but can you stay motivated or do you give up because you rather post on a Bills forum or play playstation

Mitchell55
03-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Anyone have any specific links to good diets, Exercises, and strength workouts that I could do at home? Also, im 15 and only 145 lb and 5-9. Fat could do me some good lol.

TigerJ
03-21-2009, 02:51 PM
You can high jump over 9 feet? It's the summer olympics for you! I'm assuming you mean you can touch something with your hand that's nine feet off the ground.

TigerJ
03-21-2009, 03:01 PM
On a more serious note, how tall are your parents? That will give you some idea of your growth potential. If your dad is 5'10" (like me) you might make a high school QB, but your chances of progressing beyond that at slim to none. There really aren't very many Doug Fluties around. If you're ambitions are to be a WR/DB (in high school the coach may want you to go both ways if it's a small school) Yoyu're big enough for now, but you'll need to get faster. As the Spaz said, "You've got plenty of time." You might want to shoot for faster than 4.9 though. I'm guessing a lot of high school WRs run in the neighborhood of 4.7, give or take a tenth. If you're smaller, you probably need to be faster, than if you were 6 foot something.

Mitchell55
03-21-2009, 04:15 PM
On a more serious note, how tall are your parents? That will give you some idea of your growth potential. If your dad is 5'10" (like me) you might make a high school QB, but your chances of progressing beyond that at slim to none. There really aren't very many Doug Fluties around. If you're ambitions are to be a WR/DB (in high school the coach may want you to go both ways if it's a small school) Yoyu're big enough for now, but you'll need to get faster. As the Spaz said, "You've got plenty of time." You might want to shoot for faster than 4.9 though. I'm guessing a lot of high school WRs run in the neighborhood of 4.7, give or take a tenth. If you're smaller, you probably need to be faster, than if you were 6 foot something.

Lets put it this way, im all confused. Im the height of a WR and speed of a QB lol. My dad got to only 5-9 and stopped, but my grandpa was 6-2. I went to the doctors and they said I should get to 5-11.

TigerJ
03-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Do you have ambitions of eventually playing college ball?

There are people who are just plain gifted at running. When I was in high school, my strength was strength. I beat the fullback from our high school football team in arm wrestliing when I was in 8th grade but couldn't run worth beans. I'm sure you can gain some speed with training. I'm not an expert so I have no idea how much you can gain.

Mitchell55
03-21-2009, 10:56 PM
^ Yes, I plan on playing in college in buffalo uni.

Jan Reimers
03-22-2009, 08:59 AM
The important question is, have you played football at the lower levels, i.e., pee wee, little loop, junior high, etc. If you have, how have you done? At your age, you should be learning football skills, not worrying so much about numbers.

DraftBoy
03-22-2009, 10:10 AM
At 5'11 depending on your weight, your speed being only 5.3 your behind the curve. Even at 15 years old a lot of DI players are running in the 4.5's, 4.9 is a slow number for a TE, let alone a WR.

5'11 is a slight size problem at both WR and QB. Its hard to say exactly where you rank as far as right now at 15, but it doesnt appear from your flat numbers that you have great speed, agility or quickness which is kinda vital for a WR. If you haven't played before than your in deeper trouble because percise route running is what is needed when you lack in the athletic department. Now through hard work you can learn that stuff but you'll need actual coaching and one on one instruction.

QB wise I can't see it right now. You're way too far behind developmental wise. Unless you have a ton of natural QB ability its almost impossible.

Here is an article to illustrate my point;
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/sports/ncaafootball/04youth.html?_r=1&n=Top/News/Business/Companies/YouTube&pagewanted=all

Chris Laviano, 14, can throw a football 50 yards. He has been compared to Peyton Manning and Troy Aikman, and has been courted by a top high school football power.

Chis Laviano is known as the top pre-prep QB in the country and has numerous DI scholarship offers already. The fact that I already know who he is, says a lot since I dont usually scout 14 year old kids. He is supposed to be the next big thing and is projected as a top pick already in 2016 or 2017 depending on when he comes out.

Four days before the festivities began for the Football University Youth All-American Bowl, Laviano arrived from Brookville, N.Y., and prepared. Laviano, a 5-11, 165-pound eighth grader, participated in three-a-day workouts at a local university under the watch of his father, Tom.

Laviano said he had been approached about playing next season for the football power DeMatha Catholic High School in Hyattsville, Md., but his father did not want him to move in with a coach. His youth coaches have told him that he is comparable to Manning, a three-time N.F.L. most valuable player and a Super Bowl winner.

“There’s a little pressure,” Laviano said.

Gallagher mentioned Laviano in the same breath as Aikman, the former Dallas Cowboys quarterback who is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

“He’s definitely a great player,” Gallagher said of Laviano. “I think he can play in high-level college.”

But college is seemingly the last thing on Laviano’s mind these days.

“College?” Laviano said. “I don’t even know where I want to go to high school.”

Im not trying to be an ass but I just want to be honest with you, this isnt something you can just do. Living in NY it may be a little bit easier because football up there is not nearly as competitive as it is down here or in a place like Texas. But most kids who make DI ball are either amazing athletes or eat, sleep, drink, and bleed football 24/7. And I dont mean just posting on a football message board either.

If you're serious you need to get into contact with your HS coach and ask for them to do an individual evaluation of you and run you through drills to see where your skills suit you for. Hell you could always apply to be on a show like MTV's Made and see if they are interested. Good luck in whatever you do.

yordad
03-22-2009, 11:46 AM
I think you should hit the weights like a 4 year hurricane, and go for FB. That seems to be the easiest job to secure. Heck, I think we picked up our last 5 FBs at the grocery store.

Mitchell55
03-22-2009, 12:34 PM
At 5'11 depending on your weight, your speed being only 5.3 your behind the curve. Even at 15 years old a lot of DI players are running in the 4.5's, 4.9 is a slow number for a TE, let alone a WR.

5'11 is a slight size problem at both WR and QB. Its hard to say exactly where you rank as far as right now at 15, but it doesnt appear from your flat numbers that you have great speed, agility or quickness which is kinda vital for a WR. If you haven't played before than your in deeper trouble because percise route running is what is needed when you lack in the athletic department. Now through hard work you can learn that stuff but you'll need actual coaching and one on one instruction.

QB wise I can't see it right now. You're way too far behind developmental wise. Unless you have a ton of natural QB ability its almost impossible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/sports/ncaafootball/04youth.html?_r=1&n=Top/News/Business/Companies/YouTube&pagewanted=all

Chis Laviano is known as the top pre-prep QB in the country and has numerous DI scholarship offers already. The fact that I already know who he is, says a lot since I dont usually scout 14 year old kids. He is supposed to be the next big thing and is projected as a top pick already in 2016 or 2017 depending on when he comes out.

Im not trying to be an ass but I just want to be honest with you, this isnt something you can just do. Living in NY it may be a little bit easier because football up there is not nearly as competitive as it is down here or in a place like Texas. But most kids who make DI ball are either amazing athletes or eat, sleep, drink, and bleed football 24/7. And I dont mean just posting on a football message board either.

If you're serious you need to get into contact with your HS coach and ask for them to do an individual evaluation of you and run you through drills to see where your skills suit you for. Hell you could always apply to be on a show like MTV's Made and see if they are interested. Good luck in whatever you do.

A average WR in our school runs a 4.8. But they also played last year. Im starting off from scratch and am trying to make my way up to 4.8. Our QB is around 5-7 right now so height shouldnt be that much of a problem.

hydro
03-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Texas is football serious. You should be able to get with a coach at your middle/high school that could help you. If they see your are serious about working hard and following their instructions not only will you get under their good graces but you should be able to improve.

Wish I had done that in my high school day :(

DraftBoy
03-22-2009, 03:38 PM
A average WR in our school runs a 4.8. But they also played last year. Im starting off from scratch and am trying to make my way up to 4.8. Our QB is around 5-7 right now so height shouldnt be that much of a problem.

Well like I said your starting from way behind. Percision route running is extremely hard to master and takes most players years to get down.

However if the average WR at your school runs a 4.8 I doubt their routes are very good. Talk to the Freshman team coach after school one day about what you can do and see when Spring Practices start. Im assuming you guys do that up there.

Jan Reimers
03-23-2009, 07:16 AM
I still have heard nothing about your football skills/experience. While strength and conditioning are important, you really need to develop your football abilities to be successful.

DraftBoy
03-23-2009, 07:18 AM
I still have heard nothing about your football skills/experience. While strength and conditioning are important, you really need to develop your football abilities to be successful.

He said in a post above;

I took that as he has no previous football experience. I could be wrong though.

methos4ever
03-23-2009, 07:30 AM

One thing that will serve you well (it got 3 of my buddies scholarships) in this quest - if you can't be the fastest, or the strongest...you have GOT to learn how to kick, punt and definitely long snap. You long snap well enough and you will be found.

Jan Reimers
03-23-2009, 09:37 AM
If he's 15 and has never played, he should be trying like hell to develop some skills - through camps, a personal coach, skills-related DVDs, etc. - rather than obsessing about 40 times and vertical jumps. I simply think his focus is all wrong.

DraftBoy
03-23-2009, 10:39 AM
If he's 15 and has never played, he should be trying like hell to develop some skills - through camps, a personal coach, skills-related DVDs, etc. - rather than obsessing about 40 times and vertical jumps. I simply think his focus is all wrong.

I dont disagree one bit. He's way behind the curve and if his hope is to play college ball one day he doesnt even know the hell he needs to put himself through to play at that level.

Mitchell55
03-23-2009, 12:26 PM
He said in a post above;

2 years of expierence in 8th grade and 6th. I meant that I am starting off from scratch at conditioning regulary. Im trying out for WR and QB. Our QBs all suck so ill probably have a good chance. I have one of those target throwing things. Its about 1 1/2 foot square on all sides and I can hit it from 30+ yds right into it.

DraftBoy
03-23-2009, 03:28 PM
2 years of expierence in 8th grade and 6th. I meant that I am starting off from scratch at conditioning regulary. Im trying out for WR and QB. Our QBs all suck so ill probably have a good chance. I have one of those target throwing things. Its about 1 1/2 foot square on all sides and I can hit it from 30+ yds right into it.

Yes but thats stationary, big difference to a moving target with pressure in your face.

X-Era
03-23-2009, 03:45 PM

If I were you, at your age, I would run long distance to build stamina, and begin to work out regularly at the gym to begin to gain muscle. But at practice, I would focus on fundamentals, it can be hard because some positions and movements seem awkward now. But as you grow and practice more, you will get ahead of the curve on technique which will aid you in become a good ball player.

I wouldnt worry too much on speed/jumping/etc... as you become a better runner, and gain muscle you will become faster and more athletic.

I would also think about pilates do to the flexibility it gives you.

But, no, I wouldnt worry about your numbers until your at least a junior in high school... and with many years of football, distance running, and weight lifting under you belt.

Its good that your thinking seriously about it when your this young... thats the right time to do it. But you need to be on the football team... making every practice... and trying to be the biggest sponge you can be (soaking up information and technique).

X-Era
03-23-2009, 03:47 PM

I would run distance for stamina, run up hills for gaining leg strength, and weight train your whole body. If your targeting becoming a WR or QB I would not try to become big... go after more reps less weight.

X-Era
03-23-2009, 03:52 PM

According to DraftBoy, you wont be drafted into the NFL at 15 :rolleyes:

Maybe we could find a way to not look at a 15 year old whos about to get involved in athletics through a NFL scouts eyes just yet?

Tough board.

DraftBoy
03-23-2009, 05:42 PM
According to DraftBoy, you wont be drafted into the NFL at 15 :rolleyes:

Maybe we could find a way to not look at a 15 year old whos about to get involved in athletics through a NFL scouts eyes just yet?

Tough board.

:rofl:

Next time Ill coddle and lie to the kid, just for your sake.

X-Era
03-23-2009, 05:49 PM
:rofl:

Next time Ill coddle and lie to the kid, just for your sake.

:up:

ParanoidAndroid
03-23-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm reading some bad advice for a 15 year old. You do not, I repeat, DO NOT want to start weight training seriously at your age. Stick to calisthenics and plyometrics in conjunction with some cardio work.
I have been coaching high school sports for years and I never allow my athletes to seriously weight train until they are at least into their junior year and sometimes not even then. Teenagers gain adequate muscle without training for mass. Just eat a well balanced diet and work with what the good lord gave ya for a couple years.
Weight training for mass can actually stunt natural growth.
You will become a good football player through development of skill. Concentrate on technique on your own. Watch fundamentally sound players play the game and mimic their movements. Do form drills. Hang up the tire in the yard and throw 300 balls a day. find some pick up games.

Mitchell55
03-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Scratch QB. I just saw our QB. He throws 65 yds perfect spiral and in the perfect place. The good news is since I play with a NFL ball the ball we used is probably the easiest thing Ive ever tried to catch. I practiced with him just for fun and ran around 5-6 routes and caught all of them without bobbling them.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-26-2009, 06:57 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm reading some bad advice for a 15 year old. You do not, I repeat, DO NOT want to start weight training seriously at your age. Stick to calisthenics and plyometrics in conjunction with some cardio work.
I have been coaching high school sports for years and I never allow my athletes to seriously weight train until they are at least into their junior year and sometimes not even then. Teenagers gain adequate muscle without training for mass. Just eat a well balanced diet and work with what the good lord gave ya for a couple years.
Weight training for mass can actually stunt natural growth.
You will become a good football player through development of skill. Concentrate on technique on your own. Watch fundamentally sound players play the game and mimic their movements. Do form drills. Hang up the tire in the yard and throw 300 balls a day. find some pick up games.

I absolutely agree!!!

I began weight-lifting at too young an age and my shin bones (and possibly my thigh bones) are both unnaturally curved, which caused me to have not only back problems, but issues with my knees and ankles.

Like you, Mitchell, I was projected to grow to be 5'10-6 ft tall. I stopped growing (I'm the same height that I was in 9th grade) and ended up being a shade over 5'9" at my tallest (I've lost almost an inch due to age and back problems).

Like andyxc said, I would strongly recommend that you stick to calisthenics and plyometrics and some running for now and wait a couple of years before you hit the weight room.

I would say that the first thing to do is make sure that you stick to a good well-balanced diet. I don't know where you live, but, if you have a college nearby that plays D-1 football, it wouldn't hurt to see if you can make an appointment to see their strength and conditioning coach to ask specific questions about what kind of diet he would recommend for you at your age. Or, write to John Allaire with the Bills and see if he would be willing to send you some recommendations. It never hurts to ask and you might be pleasantly surprised to receive some help from people who actually work at this kind of thing.

I also recommend doing drills and trying to learn techniques. If you can go to a camp, do it. If you can't, see if you can ask the HC at your school if he can recommend some for you and walk you through the proper way to do them (if he will talk with you, that is certainly one way that you can get him to notice you and that can't hurt when you join the team for practice). If you can't do that, I would again see if you can get some help in this from a local college coach.

And, play the game whenever you can: throw the ball around with your friends, play pick-up games of touch, etc. Like andyxc said, take a tire and throw the ball through it regularly, do form drills. And, when you play around with your friends or neighbors, try as much as you can to use that as a way to practice the proper techniques that you have or are learning in those drills.

When you are not outside playing or doing drills or exercises, there are other things that you can do that will help to make you a better player when you get on the field: 1.) learn the basic rules (knowing what is legal and what isn't, when the ball is "live" or "dead", substitution rules, and those governing time-outs, etc. can all come in handy when you are playing a game); 2.) watch some highlight clips on YouTube, etc. of college and pro players to pick up on their techniques (don't just run the clips through and sit there and say, "Wow, that was great!", focus on the player who plays your position and watch what he does--his footwork, how he uses his hands, his weight distribution, etc.--stopping the clip every couple of seconds or so and even going back over the part that you just watched to see every aspect of what he did to make that play successful. If you know that a player is considered to have good technique by pro scouts/coaches, watch that player more closely) so that you can try to emulate what you see them doing correctly when you get out on the field or are practicing.

If you want to play a sport at any level you do have to work at it and that means making a committment of time and effort to learn the game and how to play it. Doing drills that you see players doing at The NFL Combine is fine, but ultimately it comes down to playing the game. You have to want to play the game and have fun playing the game. Doing drills and exercises and, later on, working in the weight room is all just preparation for playing the game.

You have to want to play the game and enjoy it enough that you go out and play it whenever you can (be reasonable and make sure that you have plenty of fluids and hydrate in that Texas heat!). If you enjoy it and you are having fun, you will want to do the drills and all of the rest because you know that it will make you a better player and make playing even more fun.

If you need specific information on what you should be doing, don't be afraid to ask. And, don't be afraid to ask the people who are the experts in the field. You may well find that the busiest person--or the person in the highest position--will turn out to be the most likely to help you. You may think that they will blow you off because you're "just a kid", but they may look at the fact that you are young and just getting started and say to themselves, "Hey, this kid is motivated, let me give him a hand".

The worst thing that can happen if you ask someone for help is that they say, "No". If that happens, don't let that bother or stop you, ask someone else until you get someone to give you the info or help that you need. If you don't ask, no one is going to help you. But, if you do ask and keep asking, sooner or later you will find someone who will give you the assistance that you need: Ask and you shall receive!

And, start by asking people that you know are the best qualified people that you can get in touch with to give you the help and info that you need.

Ingtar33
03-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Anyone have any specific links to good diets, Exercises, and strength workouts that I could do at home? Also, im 15 and only 145 lb and 5-9. Fat could do me some good lol.

that's a fair weight for someone your height and age.

If you'd like some advice im more then happy to give some on this issue. Half my day is spent recruiting HS'ers these days. Now im not a dietitian, but this is a subject i know a little about.

1) eat carbs. lots of carbs. you're a growing young man, who's training hard. You can easily eat 3000-5000 carbs a day and not get fat. You're not on a diet. But you'll not want to put much fat or sugar in your diet. Frankly, if you have much of either you'll harm yourself in the long haul. So no energy drinks.

2) your height might be a problem for those positions, but at 15 you still could get pretty big. My brother was about your size at that age. and he is 6'4" now (he didn't stop growing until he was 21ish). But you're not too small to play pro football (guys like Parish prove this all the time).

3) don't get discouraged. you will hit walls in your development. there will be times you won't think you're getting any better. Don't quit. keep your dreams foremost in your mind.

4) don't neglect school. If you're a boarder line college football recruit your grades will say more about your character then your 40 time. If a coach has a choice between a marginal recruit with a 4.0 gpa and a marginal recruit with a 2.0 then there is no contest. Maximize your appeal. Your school grades say just as much about your work ethic as your physique.

5) get a real gym membership, and time with a personal trainer. You need professionals to show you how to weight train properly, or you'll never improve (you're a little young for true weight training, but you can do some and not hurt yourself if you find a good trainer). I can't tell you how many good kids i meet, with a poor physique, who work 40 hours a week on their bodies, but for whom most of that time is wasted, because they're not working out right. Or how many trained too hard too young and messed themselves up.

6) stay off the juice. the temptation will be there. But there is one thing i can tell you with a certainty. It's that adding chemicals to a growing body is a quick way to an early grave. You can get to big time college ball without it, and with old fashioned workethic.

7) Go to as many football camps as you can. most of them are run by college scouts or coaches. You'll only get better at football if you spend your off seasons playing it. The higher your personal goals the harder you'll work, and the better you'll be.

8) Don't neglect distance running. 800-10,000 meter stuff. Strength is fine, but the guys who always impress me, are the guys who are never winded during a practice. If you have access to an Olympic sized pool, add plenty of long distance swimming. there is no better cardio workout then swimming. an hour of swimming is worth 3 of running.

9) vary your workouts. Working out the same way every day, isn't just booring, but it's largely counterproductive. Your body's muscles need at least a day to repair themselves from hard training. So alternate your weight training and cardio training every other day.

-that's just off the top of my head. if you would like more advice just give me a pm, i'll see what i can get you.