PDA

View Full Version : Prepare to hear more about possibly trading Peters

jpdex12
03-22-2009, 10:30 AM
As we draw closer to the draft and he still hasn't been extended I would bet that we'll see a trade. I don't see any way that OBD will allow another offseason like last year with him.

I don't want to have to see us fill that gaping hole at LT but you have to have two sides agree on the deal. With the FA that we've seen so far from OBD and their history in the past, I don't see Ralph coming even close to what Peters wants. You all know we won't see him in camp if he isn't extended. That was part of the deal if he came back was that OBD would get him extended. Their opinion of an attempt is low balling everyone that they have hand raised and chasing them to another team. Don't know how we kept Lee Evans.

I just have a bad feeling about him not getting extended.

On the bright side, at least we can slide Walker over to LT and draft a RT in the first two rounds as we'll undoubtedly get a first round pick in trade from Peters. I'd guess from either Philly or Detroit. I'd hope we could get maybe a third or a fourth round pick along with the first for Peters. If Cassel netted a high second (might as well been a first) then Peters being a two time probowl LT and one of the top five in the league should get more than a first.

Thoughts?

yordad
03-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Chris Brown (who seems out of the loop some times, so take it for what it is worth) said it is a alot likelier then most would think. He said about a 1st and 3rd (which seems light to me).

Buddo
03-22-2009, 12:08 PM
There's certainly a possibility we will hear more along those lines.
I'm curious to know what you think we should be paying Peters. Atm, while this is a bit of deductive reasoning, it would seem we have made him an offer of around $8.5-9 million per.
That doesn't strike me as being 'cheap', or even low-balling, based on what Peters did last season.
There are good arguments that would have that as being too much in the first place.

Note - the deductive reasoning is based on Peters supposedly wanting to be the 'highest paid LT in the AFC'. That means he wants to get more than Long, who gets about $11.5 million per. From an article by Mark Gaughan in the buffalo news, the Bills and Peters are $3 million apart. Therefore we have offered around the $8.5-9 million mark.

Atm, I'm not too sure quite what to make of Peters approach, other than it generally doesn't make a lot of sense. The reason for that, is that what he's asking for, is probably going to price himself out of any reasonable trade, if the Bills don't budge much from around say $10 million per, which is what the deal that Gross got.
Teams are not going to set a precedent regarding Long's contract, which at least in part, is based off of being the #1 pick of a whole draft.
I think Peters is in danger of digging himself into a hole again, aided by his agent, unless meaningful negotiations are actually still taking place.

ddaryl
03-22-2009, 12:20 PM
If peters doesn't accept the offer on the table, then IMO he is won't live up to any offer.

The guy has not earned 12 million a season. He is worth the 8.5 on the table now. If he wanted to be worth 12 million he would not have held out on the team last year regardless of what he thought it was doing for him, and he would have not given up as many sacks as he did.

His play is too much of a crap shoot at this point to give the guy 30 million in guarentees. AND of course on top of this, Peters could have been a FA by now but he is the one that jumped on the extension offered to him in 2007, and now he is the one that needs to realize that 8.5 per season in the hand is better then busting up your knee and never getting another contract offer close to that in 2010.

If he didn't hold out last year while voicing his desire for an updated deal, played better in 2009 he might be getting that offer. But Peters is more interested in having bragging rights regarding his pay status, then his actual play status IMO.

jpdex12
03-22-2009, 01:47 PM
There's certainly a possibility we will hear more along those lines.
I'm curious to know what you think we should be paying Peters. Atm, while this is a bit of deductive reasoning, it would seem we have made him an offer of around $8.5-9 million per.
That doesn't strike me as being 'cheap', or even low-balling, based on what Peters did last season.
There are good arguments that would have that as being too much in the first place.

Note - the deductive reasoning is based on Peters supposedly wanting to be the 'highest paid LT in the AFC'. That means he wants to get more than Long, who gets about $11.5 million per. From an article by Mark Gaughan in the buffalo news, the Bills and Peters are $3 million apart. Therefore we have offered around the $8.5-9 million mark.

Atm, I'm not too sure quite what to make of Peters approach, other than it generally doesn't make a lot of sense. The reason for that, is that what he's asking for, is probably going to price himself out of any reasonable trade, if the Bills don't budge much from around say $10 million per, which is what the deal that Gross got.
Teams are not going to set a precedent regarding Long's contract, which at least in part, is based off of being the #1 pick of a whole draft.
I think Peters is in danger of digging himself into a hole again, aided by his agent, unless meaningful negotiations are actually still taking place.

I don't want to lose Peters and have the Bills have another large hole to fill but I think 9 Mill per year for him with incentives is fair considering how he played last year. That is top five LT money and he is in the top five of LT's in the league.

Don't hold your breath thought! We might see a lot more of Walker at LT

yordad
03-22-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't want to lose Peters and have the Bills have another large hole to fill but I think 9 Mill per year for him with incentives is fair considering how he played last year. That is top five LT money and he is in the top five of LT's in the league.

Don't hold your breath thought! We might see a lot more of Walker at LT9 million per year would make him the highest paid LT for all the LT whose contracts weren't aided by non-playing related circumstances. The 2 that would be paid higher had their teams in a head lock. That isn't the case here, we have him in head lock.

TigerJ
03-22-2009, 05:34 PM
I don't like it, but I agree with the consensus. There is a strong possibility of Peters being traded. A trade brings a number of possibilities. If Buffalo took an offensive tackle at #11 overall and filled another need with the first round pick they receive in a trade, the two players they have to choose from are likely to be Michael Oher and Andre Smith. Unfortunately, neither one is a can't miss prospect. Oher may have a learning disability and Smith raise all sorts of questions with his non-participation in combine activities in addition to observations that he was obviously out of shape both at the combine and his pro day. Between the two, Oher might be the safer pick.

If, however, Buffalo is reasonably comfortable with Walker starting for an extended period, like maybe a full season, there are other tackles they could draft later and develop, from William Beatty in the late first to Gerald Cadogan in the fourth or fifth to Ryan Delrosal or Dace Richardson in the seventh, with a number of guys in between.

ddaryl
03-22-2009, 06:07 PM
The Bills could also draft Oher at #11 which would put some pressure on Peters to sign the deal in front of him now, and Oher could turn out to be our answer at LG, while being prepped for an eventual T position. This would fill one of our holes, bring Peters asking price down and quite possibly greatly improve our OL in the process. Peters says he won't hold out again, so if that remains true and he ends up playing at least this season for us we have all the options again in 2010 and we have the players to better deal with this.

Oher started out as a G in college and scouting reports say he could play G in the NFL, and some even think he'd be better at G in the NFL.

I do have a bit of feeling that Buffalo has this as one of their scenarios for the #11 spot, and even if we sign Peters before the draft I would consider this option just to fill our LG spot with a solid versatile OL.

casdhf
03-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Rookie contracts are pre-determined. If a Kicker was selected 1st overall he'd make the same as Long. Peters is stupid for thinking that he should be paid equally.

ParanoidAndroid
03-22-2009, 07:26 PM
The Bills could also draft Oher at #11 which would put some pressure on Peters to sign the deal in front of him now, and Oher could turn out to be our answer at LG, while being prepped for an eventual T position. This would fill one of our holes, bring Peters asking price down and quite possibly greatly improve our OL in the process. Peters says he won't hold out again, so if that remains true and he ends up playing at least this season for us we have all the options again in 2010 and we have the players to better deal with this.

Oher started out as a G in college and scouting reports say he could play G in the NFL, and some even think he'd be better at G in the NFL.

I do have a bit of feeling that Buffalo has this as one of their scenarios for the #11 spot, and even if we sign Peters before the draft I would consider this option just to fill our LG spot with a solid versatile OL.

We would end up paying him OT money at the 11th pick level and he would be playing guard. I'm not sure about that....not when Peters is still here and it still remains likely he will be signed.

TacklingDummy
03-22-2009, 07:53 PM
As we draw closer to the draft and he still hasn't been extended I would bet that we'll see a trade. I don't see any way that OBD will allow another offseason like last year with him.

Thoughts?

Good, the more teams that want Peters, the more he's worth in a trade.

acehole
03-22-2009, 07:59 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=2855305#post2855305

I don't want to have to see us fill that gaping hole at LT but you have to have two sides agree on the deal. With the FA that we've seen so far from OBD and their history in the past, I don't see Ralph coming even close to what Peters wants. You all know we won't see him in camp if he isn't extended. That was part of the deal if he came back was that OBD would get him extended. Their opinion of an attempt is low balling everyone that they have hand raised and chasing them to another team. Don't know how we kept Lee Evans.

I just have a bad feeling about him not getting extended.

On the bright side, at least we can slide Walker over to LT and draft a RT in the first two rounds as we'll undoubtedly get a first round pick in trade from Peters. I'd guess from either Philly or Detroit. I'd hope we could get maybe a third or a fourth round pick along with the first for Peters. If Cassel netted a high second (might as well been a first) then Peters being a two time probowl LT and one of the top five in the league should get more than a first.

Thoughts?

Lefty2985
03-22-2009, 09:29 PM
ok... i like d. bell at at takle and poss lg if needed but this off season will be a lost cause if we dont resign him. you dont pay a proven young player for a unproven college player who at 11 overall will get paid good. not at good as peters but he would be way overpaid for being unproven... we need peters

HHURRICANE
03-23-2009, 07:57 AM
This site cracks me up. A starting LT vs. an unproven in the first and third rounds.

The Bills trade Peters for draft picks and I'm officilly done with this team.

Peters is our best player. If the Bills can't keep their best players than the team needs to move.

Jan Reimers
03-23-2009, 08:05 AM
I'd never give up on the Bills because of a greedy malcontent like Peters.

ddaryl
03-23-2009, 08:06 AM
We would end up paying him OT money at the 11th pick level and he would be playing guard. I'm not sure about that....not when Peters is still here and it still remains likely he will be signed.

20 million 5 year deal is too much for a solid LG option ? We just got done paying Dockery twice that to play LG and Oher @ #11 actually saves us money if you use Dockery as a set point, and this gives us leverage agianst Peters which could saves us 2 - 3 million a year on his contract. If the Bills have a possible replacement for Peters on the roster that helps us out in multiple ways. The bonus is we can probably keep Peters and have our LG hole filled.

I will never understand these arguments about not paying LG #11 money, especially if he is a future candidate for the T postion.... All I care about is the best possible OL we can have. Even if we sign Peters I would have no problem paying our LG a 5 year 20 million deal. It owuld be more then worth it if the end result is a running game that averages 4.5 yds a carry and our WR's having plenty of time to get open downfield.

HHURRICANE
03-23-2009, 08:13 AM
I'd never give up on the Bills because of a greedy malcontent like Peters.

I'm a loyal Bills fan but the trend of not keeping players shows an inability of this FO to retain talent. Schobel should have been shown the door before he got his stupid contract but we are going to let Peters walk?

That makes zero sense. Maybe this office is racist.

Jan Reimers
03-23-2009, 08:30 AM
The Bills' FO may be incompetent, but I doubt very much if any of the really successful franchises in this league - including Pittsburgh and New England - would grossly overpay even for a player like Peters.

In fact, the good teams almost always deal guys with huge salary demands and bad attitudes, no matter how good they are.

ddaryl
03-23-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm a loyal Bills fan but the trend of not keeping players shows an inability of this FO to retain talent. Schobel should have been shown the door before he got his stupid contract but we are going to let Peters walk?

That makes zero sense. Maybe this office is racist.

let him walk ??? NO...

and he is not worth 12 million a season especially after holding out and giving up 11 sacks.

that is why I say draft Oher, and use him as leverage against Peters. Peters is under contract so if he wants to play hardball he can do so under his old contract. in the meanwhile you have a LG for opening day and a possible replacement on the roster so if Peters absolutly refuses to budge we won't have the LT hole in 2010, and we can still trade Peters in 2010.

this leaves us without a hole this year and gives us the upper hand

or would you just rather the Bills bend over grab there ankles and let Peters slip it in. He is not under any circumstance worth 12 million a season. One solid season at LT does not earn him highest paid OL in the game. That is reserved for players who play at that level for multiple years without holding the team hostage.

I understand the frustration with Peters and actually considering tradin ghim, but I support not paying him more then the offer already on the table for him. It's up to him if he wants to give up 25+ million of guanenteed money in hope sof making a few bucks more down the road. If he gets injured tryng to play the wait it out game he is the one that will have a lifetime worth of regret to face.

acehole
03-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Well these are the choices.

a. Sign him.

The Bills wont/cant meet his demands.
Possible compromise but I dont see it
happening.

b. Trade him.
Either a trade for picks or players or both.
We need to find a team that is willing and
will give us enough.There are teams out there
that would love to have him and possibly give
us a player of/at need position + a first. For
the right price and if "a" cant be worked out
why not...or then choice "c".

c. Dont do anything.
Force him to play his contract or force a holdout.
I cant see the bills doing this another year but it
is possible.

The only choice I see as mutually benificial is b.
I dont think it is panic mode either if it happens
ie drafting one in the first round with our pick.
Knowbody knows it better that this game is won
in the trenches...however we can get away with
slighly lesser talent at the LT position as the system
is one of much quick passing. The run game is my
concern here...but what choice do we have? A. B.C.

My choice would be to trade him and move L Walker
over there and fill in the rest with draft picks, aquired
players or guys we have on the roster or unsigned FA
that is already out there. Use the pick(s) and finish off
this defense and build it for the next 3-5 years.

venis2k1
03-23-2009, 10:34 AM
The Steelers and James Harrison is an interesting comparison. Harrison Blew up last year with 16 sacks and 7 Forced Fumbles...not to mention the 100 yard INT return to win the SB. James Harrison wants a new contract.
He is gonna make less than 1.5 million this year and at 30 years old this is gonna be his only big payday. As the reigning Defensive POY he deserves it. Harrison's agent already said he will not hold out and he will be there in camp, new contract or not.

Peters is gonna make a WHOLE lot more than 1.5 million this year and is coming off a disapointing year(no one can argue that) but is still gonna snub his nose at 8 million a year??

Don't get confused, The bills aren't being cheap here. If anything they are being generous, Jason Peters is just a dumb crybaby B*tch.