PDA

View Full Version : Bills met with Sintim

Tatonka
03-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Don't know if this was posted. I like the guy as far as the LBs go. I saw quite a bit of him, living in VA. UVA is only about an hour from here and always on TV.

Bills | Meet with Sintim
Sat, 21 Mar 2009 14:35:47 -0700

Ed Thompson, of Scout.com, reports the Buffalo Bills met with University of Virginia LB Clint Sintim March 11 and March 12, according to a source.

kffl.com

ddaryl
03-22-2009, 10:57 AM
a round 2 option...

had a nice handful of tackles for a loss, and has ability to get after the QB. But needs improvement in pass coverage and changing direction

Captain gameboy
03-22-2009, 11:00 AM
[QUOTE=ddaryl]a round 2 option...had a nice handful of tackles for a loss, and has ability to get after the QB. But needs improvement in pass coverage and changing direction[/QUOTE

That's what the scouting reports say, but pass coverage may not be a factor.

Sintim said the Bills were talking to him about DE.

DraftBoy
03-22-2009, 11:04 AM
He is an extremely versatile LB could play Inside or Outside in either the 3-4 or 4-3. He could even doe some hand down end rushing too if asked. I love his attitude and work ethic as well.

A lot of people are putting him as a 3-4 OLB because he excels as a blitzing OLB but in my opinion he could be just as good as a 4-3 OLB. His biggest issue is pass coverage.

DraftBoy
03-22-2009, 11:05 AM
a round 2 option...

had a nice handful of tackles for a loss, and has ability to get after the QB. But needs improvement in pass coverage and changing direction

While his stock has taken a little bit of a hit, I dont think he'll be available in Round 2 at this point. His versatility makes him a good option for a number of lower Round 1 teams.

OpIv37
03-22-2009, 11:08 AM
He is an extremely versatile LB could play Inside or Outside in either the 3-4 or 4-3. He could even doe some hand down end rushing too if asked. I love his attitude and work ethic as well.

A lot of people are putting him as a 3-4 OLB because he excels as a blitzing OLB but in my opinion he could be just as good as a 4-3 OLB. His biggest issue is pass coverage.

not good for a C2.

Still, if he's that versatile, he may be a good pickup because we could eventually switch to the 3-4.

OpIv37
03-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Wow- I just re-read my post and I think I'm delusional.

One can always hope, though.

DynaPaul
03-22-2009, 11:53 AM
I think both lines and a TE is more important than adding a linebacker. Why are we even looking at this guy?

DraftBoy
03-22-2009, 12:02 PM
I think both lines and a TE is more important than adding a linebacker. Why are we even looking at this guy?

Because we have a glaring hole at OLB and he could play DE too.

Tatonka
03-22-2009, 12:12 PM
yeah, how can you say any position is more important than one that we literally have NO starter at currently??

jamze132
03-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Our most glaring need right now is LG and DE. Our current LBs suck as a whole, but they are serviceable as long as we have a pass rush. Why can't people see that the D-line is the key to defense?

ddaryl
03-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Yes a DE and LG and possibly LT are are most glaring needs, but more then likely our BPA at #11 could be a LB another area of need.

yordad
03-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Sintim in the second would be a straight steal, and I would be extremely happy with that.

venis2k1
03-22-2009, 01:12 PM
We are gonna have a lot of options on draft weekend. This is a result of course of us still having a lot of holes on our team.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Why can't people see that the D-line is the key to defense?

I think people see that but they realize there will be no one worth taking at 11. I'm praying Raji or Brown slip, it's a no brainer then. I would'nt be pissed with Maybin and would understand but I just don't think he would have a huge impact.

seanbillsfan
03-22-2009, 09:28 PM
i expressed my 'manlove' for this guy in a different thread. I would instantly get aroused if we got this guy in rd 2. In a complete heterosexual way obviously

DraftBoy
03-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Our most glaring need right now is LG and DE. Our current LBs suck as a whole, but they are serviceable as long as we have a pass rush. Why can't people see that the D-line is the key to defense?

Because the defense doesnt just magically work just because you have a good DL. Every play at the best there will only be 4 DL v. 5 OL, every play that never changes. So no matter what the DL always has the odds stacked against them straight up v. the OL. You absolutely must have players who can play at LB, CB, and S in a Cover 2 system because you don't blitz as much which evens the odds by bringing a 5th or 6th guy.

I dont think any position on this D is more important than the other, same with the O. To do that means that we don't want the best and dammit I want the best.

MoormansDaMan
03-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Being all versitile.....could he play LG also?

jamze132
03-23-2009, 12:49 AM
Because the defense doesnt just magically work just because you have a good DL. Every play at the best there will only be 4 DL v. 5 OL, every play that never changes. So no matter what the DL always has the odds stacked against them straight up v. the OL. You absolutely must have players who can play at LB, CB, and S in a Cover 2 system because you don't blitz as much which evens the odds by bringing a 5th or 6th guy.

I dont think any position on this D is more important than the other, same with the O. To do that means that we don't want the best and dammit I want the best.
Well we all want the best but if your D-line can't get to the QB, you are pretty much forced to blitz with your LBs (if at all) and 90% of NFL QBs are going to shred any defense if they have time in the pocket. If your front four can get to the QB, your Lbs and DBs are going to be freed up and look a lot better than they may actually be.

The game of football is won and LOST in the trenches. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

DraftBoy
03-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Well we all want the best but if your D-line can't get to the QB, you are pretty much forced to blitz with your LBs (if at all) and 90% of NFL QBs are going to shred any defense if they have time in the pocket. If your front four can get to the QB, your Lbs and DBs are going to be freed up and look a lot better than they may actually be.

The game of football is won and LOST in the trenches. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

I never said anything to the contrary of your post, but you seem to be ok with allowing for other mediocre units or players as long as you have a good DL. Which to some degree will make up for it, but for every sack or pressure a DL gets on a QB to force a quick throw or incompletion, there are about 10 plays they don't. That's 10 plays that you have to rely on your mediocre units to play above their skill level. You play with that D and Ill take my D with good players in every unit and we'll see who wins.

Its this singular mentality that we are a DE away or that we just need a TE or that its all about the DL that has driven many fans so insane during our dry spell. A DL is not going to fix our problem, it will help yes, but not fix it. We have many other holes to fill as well.

jamze132
03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Its this singular mentality that we are a DE away or that we just need a TE or that its all about the DL that has driven many fans so insane during our dry spell. A DL is not going to fix our problem, it will help yes, but not fix it. We have many other holes to fill as well.

Come on dude. Anyone who knows a damn thing about football knows that games are won and lost in the trenches. of course you need other playmakers behind them but if your line sucks, your team sucks. Period. You have to build from the inside out.

DraftBoy
03-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Come on dude. Anyone who knows a damn thing about football knows that games are won and lost in the trenches. of course you need other playmakers behind them but if your line sucks, your team sucks. Period. You have to build from the inside out.

I never once disagreed with your bolded assertion. However its the mentality that a DL will fix everything else that I take exception to.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-24-2009, 11:56 AM

I whole heartly agree with this but reaching for a d end is not the way to go.

jamze132
03-24-2009, 04:31 PM
I never once disagreed with your bolded assertion. However its the mentality that a DL will fix everything else that I take exception to.
I don't think I ever said the D-line will "fix everything else". Fixing the D-line will dramatically improve the entire defense more than getting a top CB or LB will. After you have a stellar D-line, you can fill in the weak spots. But if you are a new franchise and you think getting the best CB duo in the league while ignoring the line is going to get you wins, you are in trouble.

Buffalo has ignored both lines too long and when they do "address" it, 90% of the time it is garbage. We need an upgrade in talent evaluation.

jamze132
03-24-2009, 04:35 PM
I whole heartly agree with this but reaching for a d end is not the way to go.
I agree and have never said it was...

But if we waste and I mean waste #11 on a ****ing TE or WR or CB, I'm done. I would almost guarantee we could find a someone to trade down with considering our spot. If the guy we want isn't there at #11, I am not in favor of just spending the pick on some "skill" player. Might as well trade down and pick up an extra Day 1 pick.

X-Era
03-24-2009, 04:42 PM

I agree.

The Cards have an all world D or O line? The Pats OL is great?

NO.

Both have proven, clutch, QB's... both have a great WR. And both have solid defenses.

What neither does is start backups. They also make OL and DL draft picks almost every year... and they have lots of depth.

But I honestly believe that a franchise QB and great WR followed with a decent running game can lead a team into the playoffs.

NOT an all world DL or OL.

You need quality in the trenches, you dont need to spend high picks necessarily, or pay tons of money. And depth is the most critical part IMO. Our depth has been horrible on the OL and DL for that matter for years.

X-Era
03-24-2009, 04:44 PM
I don't think I ever said the D-line will "fix everything else". Fixing the D-line will dramatically improve the entire defense more than getting a top CB or LB will. After you have a stellar D-line, you can fill in the weak spots. But if you are a new franchise and you think getting the best CB duo in the league while ignoring the line is going to get you wins, you are in trouble.

Buffalo has ignored both lines too long and when they do "address" it, 90% of the time it is garbage. We need an upgrade in talent evaluation.

What the have done is screw up the type of player and maybe scheme that they choose to get.

What they have done is kept late round rookies, or undrafteds as their primary backups.

And what they have done is not keep or find quality, not necessarily top tier, talent on both lines.

jamze132
03-24-2009, 04:57 PM
I agree.

The Cards have an all world D or O line? The Pats OL is great?

NO.

Both have proven, clutch, QB's... both have a great WR. And both have solid defenses.

What neither does is start backups. They also make OL and DL draft picks almost every year... and they have lots of depth.

But I honestly believe that a franchise QB and great WR followed with a decent running game can lead a team into the playoffs.

NOT an all world DL or OL.

You need quality in the trenches, you dont need to spend high picks necessarily, or pay tons of money. And depth is the most critical part IMO. Our depth has been horrible on the OL and DL for that matter for years.
Apparently you have never heard the term "defense wins championships"...

Did you consider Trent Dilfer a "franchise" QB for the 2000 Ravens? There are at least 20 QBs who have won a SB I could mention that were not "franchise" QBs. But I guarantee they had a defense.

ServoBillieves
03-24-2009, 05:32 PM
We need a good LB. Hands down. Poz and Kawika get it done, but Keith only gets it done on 3rd down or 2nd and long. Crow's gone, so plug in Cato or someone out of the draft that can work magic their first year and we're solid on defense.

I will stick by this til the end of next year when I'm probably proved wrong, but we are going to be fine at DE this year. Schobel is getting older, but he can still get to the QB, and Kelsay/Denney just need to step up to the level that we've seen them play at before. Mix that in with Stroud eating up double teams and the ever slow but still growing talent that Kyle Williams has turned in to and I think we draft DE late.

DraftBoy
03-24-2009, 05:58 PM

Its not just you Im referring to with that mentality and while I agree an improved D-Line will help the LB and DB's I disagree on how much of an impact it will have. I dont see the DL making either unit very much better. I see them helping out but as Ive pointed out time and time again they are going to be over matched every play with our D scheme since we don't blitz so unless we find the next Tommie Harris or Julius Peppers type of DL I dont see any draft pick doing much better.

DraftBoy
03-24-2009, 06:00 PM
I agree and have never said it was...

But if we waste and I mean waste #11 on a ****ing TE or WR or CB, I'm done. I would almost guarantee we could find a someone to trade down with considering our spot. If the guy we want isn't there at #11, I am not in favor of just spending the pick on some "skill" player. Might as well trade down and pick up an extra Day 1 pick.

See that's the mentality Im talking about. If its not a line position people think its a bad pick. That's a dangerous mentality to take when drafting. You don't draft to fill needs you draft to maximize value. If Crabtree is on the board I will yell at my TV to take him even if Raji, Orakpo, and Brown are still on the board too. I don't care one bit you take the highest value player at that point.

jamze132
03-25-2009, 04:39 PM
See that's the mentality Im talking about. If its not a line position people think its a bad pick. That's a dangerous mentality to take when drafting. You don't draft to fill needs you draft to maximize value. If Crabtree is on the board I will yell at my TV to take him even if Raji, Orakpo, and Brown are still on the board too. I don't care one bit you take the highest value player at that point.
Who's to say you can't get better value by trading down?

DraftBoy
03-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Who's to say you can't get better value by trading down?

Did I say they couldn't? However the idea that trading is like snapping your fingers is just wrong. Its not easy to complete draft day trades.

jamze132
03-26-2009, 01:05 AM
Did I say they couldn't? However the idea that trading is like snapping your fingers is just wrong. Its not easy to complete draft day trades.
Some team beneath us will want our pick.

You seem to be forgetting something, DB. The draft is a crapshoot. A 4th rounder might end up being the best player in the entire class when it's all said and done. if the guy that our scouts want is on the board at #11, but Kiper and his cronies have him as a late first round pick, who gives a ****? Do the best you possibly can while scouting and pray.