PDA

View Full Version : Economy could help Sabres make quick reversal

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-22-2009, 11:44 AM
The Sabres are lacking across the board. The long-term contracts spread across the roster were sold as a core, but now it looks like status quo for the foreseeable future. You’re worried that what you see this season is what you’ll get next season. They’ve gone from scary good to scaring you. No argument here.

During the general managers’ meetings this month, it became clear that the sorry economy could actually benefit teams such as Buffalo. The $56.7 million salary cap next season will likely stay the same next year or decrease to the $55 million range. Some projections had it falling to the $50 million range in two years.

Twelve teams have payrolls that are $55 million or more. Twenty-four were at $50 million or more. Buffalo was a tad over $50 million. Nobody wants to fall into the hole Toronto dug after the lockout, when it was forced to dump money and talent. Teams are preparing now, and good players should pop free.

Who and how many? We’ll see.

“The price and the production have to match up,” Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier said last week. “Things can change. The marketplace can change or the player’s production can change. Even if it was the correct evaluation at the time, that can change during the contract. It can be better, and it can be worse.”
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabresnhl/story/615472.html

OpIv37
03-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Translation: the Sabres won't be good, but there's a significant chance that the rest of the NHL might be forced to come down to their level and give the Sabres a realistic shot.

I love it.

JD
03-23-2009, 12:36 AM
I personally just think the Sabres got stuck in a bad spot. They lucked out after the lockout. Their team was built for the NHLs new rules. Now since the league has reverted back to its old ways, the Sabres suck again. They drafted after their 05/06 success so now they will suck for years to come unless they do something drastic.

Their prospects are just as soft as the guys getting the millions right now, the only positive is that they are far more hungrier.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-23-2009, 08:52 AM
I am getting sick of any story that puts a positive spin on this organization and their failures as a franchise. Give me a break with this crap.

Nighthawk
03-23-2009, 12:37 PM
I am getting sick of any story that puts a positive spin on this organization and their failures as a franchise. Give me a break with this crap.

I agree...this organization is mediocre and has been for sometime. They've now gone 2 years in row without the playoffs and a collapse at the end...it's time for a change. We need new players, which means we need a new GM because he just doesn't have a clue on how to build a winner. Every mistake that could be made, has been made...it's time to move on.