PDA

View Full Version : Official Rule Changes (2009)

mybills
03-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Well, they're still meeting to go over all of the rules, but we can thank Cutler for his fumble against S.D. because they ARE looking at that definite fumble.

I totally agree with Dungy that the O.T. rules should NOT be changed.

:feedback:

SquishDaFish
03-22-2009, 07:07 PM
I think the OT rules should be tweaked. Like both teams get a chance to score or go one more whole quarter.

Kenny
03-22-2009, 07:10 PM
we can thank Cutler for his fumble against S.D. because they ARE looking at that definite fumble.

What's there to look at? That was a screw up by the ref... not the rulebook

mybills
03-22-2009, 07:14 PM
That depends on what made their decision to begin with. We (fans) are ALL wondering. :;

Oaf
03-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Apparently, team owners and coaches are fine with OT and that's what matters most.

mybills
03-22-2009, 10:13 PM
I think the OT rules should be tweaked. Like both teams get a chance to score or go one more whole quarter.
Why?
They both have a chance to win the way it is.

If anything, don't do the coin toss, just give it to the one who didn't score last, first.

Kenny
03-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Why?
They both have a chance to win the way it is.

If anything, don't do the coin toss, just give it to the one who didn't score last, first.

I'd have it so that you need to win by a TD. No fieldgoals allowed in OT.

Prov401
03-22-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't like messing around much with the history of the game, thus I'm on the 'Do not change the overtime rules' boat.

However, if they were to be 'tweaked' as one said, I am for the team who gets the ball first must score a TD to win. Then, if that team fails, the other team gets the same situation. They must score a TD to win. If both teams fail, any type of scoring wins the game.

Like I said, I'm don't want the O.T rules to change. But if they were to be tweaked, I would'nt mind this way.

mybills
03-22-2009, 10:19 PM
edit

they can win by a FG or a TD now.

mybills
03-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Why do they do a coin toss?

sorry, I'm not good at this edit thing. lol.

DraftBoy
03-22-2009, 10:29 PM
edit

they can win by a FG or a TD now.

They can also win by a safety as well.

Throne Logic
03-22-2009, 11:31 PM
One semi-mainstream idea I like is to play out a set time period without sudden death. Only, instead of a full quarter, steal a page from basketball and play shortened periods. Play two 6 min periods (5 seemed just a bit short for football's long possession clocks). Which ever team is winning at the end of 1st (or 2nd if needed) wins the game. In the case of a continued tie score, the game ends in a lousy tie. I hate ties, but I understand why going much longer in football is not wise.

Along other mainstream ideas, I'd be fine with equal chances. Toss the coin for who decides to go first or pick the direction. This way teams will be hesitent to just kick the FG when they know the other team is going to get a chance, too.

For something completely different, how about a "must win by 5 points" rule for OT. That way, a TD or two FG's will get it done. It'll take away the completely anti-climactic single FG that we see happen so often in OT. The reason I like 5 points is that it does allow for a safety to make a difference, albeit a very unlikely one.

jamze132
03-23-2009, 12:59 AM
I say keep playing 15 minute quarters until someone puts any type of points on the board. First team to score, wins. No ties.

OpIv37
03-23-2009, 10:51 AM

but the current rules don't allow that type of play to go to instant replay. The rule change would allow those types of plays to be reviewed.

madness
03-23-2009, 11:01 AM
The OT rule was looked at because teams that win the coin toss win over 60% of the time.

venis2k1
03-23-2009, 11:17 AM
The rules are fine the way they are.

But,

anyone remember the 2002 season opener against the jets...Morton ran back to OT opening kickoff on our special teams...heartbreaking. I wasnt even back from the bathroom and the game was over.

mybills
03-30-2009, 09:44 AM
1. Loose balls that could have been the result of a fumble or an incomplete pass are now subject to video review. (We can just call this the Ed Hochuli Rule)
2. A defensive player on the ground may no longer lunge or dive at the quarterback's lower legs.
3. The draft order has been reworked to reflect playoff results, not regular-season results. (This one makes a lot of sense.)
4. No more rekicks after an illegal onsides kick (ball goes out of bounds before ten yards, etc.). It immediately becomes the other team's ball.
5. On onside kicks, the kicking team can't have more than five players bunched together.
6. There's a new waiver period during the first two weeks of training camp, and the postseason waiver period will begin after the NFL's final game, whether it's the Pro Bowl or the Super Bowl.
7. If a fumble or lateral goes out of bounds, the clock will stop only until the referee signals ready for play.
8. Forming a "wedge" on a kickoff return is no longer legal. If three or more players line up shoulder-to-shoulder within two yards of each other, it will be a penalty
9. A blindside block cannot be delivered with a helmet, shoulder or forearm to an opponent's head or neck. That'll be a 15-yard penalty.
10. Contact to the head of a defenseless receiver will also draw a 15-yard penalty.

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2009/3/27/811928/nfl-changes-rule-from-nfc

Dujek
03-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Bunch of :limp: rule changes.

Pussy QBs get more protection, the chance of recovery of an onside kick is reduced, and the chance of running back a kickoff for a TD drops dramatically. They're taking some of the excitement out of the game with those rules. Typical No Fun League. Though 9 and 10 are acceptable changes, because there is far too much headhunting in the game now.

mybills
03-30-2009, 09:59 AM
10 should be the Anquan Bolden rule. :up:

MikeInRoch
03-30-2009, 05:26 PM
OT is just so easy to fix. After the opening kickoff, no more kicks are allowed. No FG attempts, no punts. Man up.

madness
03-31-2009, 10:13 AM
OT is just so easy to fix. After the opening kickoff, no more kicks are allowed. No FG attempts, no punts. Man up.

Someone on another website had the best suggestion I've heard yet. Whoever wins the coin toss gets the ball first in OT. It would make end of games a lot more exciting especially if teams are down and know they aren't going to get the ball first in OT.

mybills
04-01-2009, 06:29 AM
Someone on another website had the best suggestion I've heard yet. Whoever wins the coin toss gets the ball first in OT. It would make end of games a lot more exciting especially if teams are down and know they aren't going to get the ball first in OT.
You mean the first coin toss of the game?
I don't like the OT coin toss at all. I think the team that didn't have the ball last should get it first.

madness
04-01-2009, 07:55 AM
You mean the first coin toss of the game?
I don't like the OT coin toss at all. I think the team that didn't have the ball last should get it first.

Yes, the winner of the coin toss in the beginning of the game would get the ball first in OT. The idea is that teams trailing in the 4th would take more chances going for the win if they knew they were definitely not going to get the ball first.