PDA

View Full Version : Detroit to take J. Smith

Prov401
03-22-2009, 10:04 PM
http://www.kffl.com/images/hot_sign.jpgLions | To take J. Smith with first pick?
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 18:38:30 -0700
KFFL has learned the Detroit Lions (http://www.kffl.com/team/16/nfl) will take Baylor OT Jason Smith (http://www.kffl.com/player/21148/nfl) with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft (http://www.kffl.com/link/159).

Mr. KnowItAll
03-22-2009, 10:32 PM
That will shake some things up...

bills4ver
03-22-2009, 11:07 PM
its a good pick, start with your O-line and build out

Prov401
03-22-2009, 11:19 PM
I agree. Detroit has many, many needs. It all starts in the trenches though.

BILLSROCK1212
03-22-2009, 11:23 PM
bull****....ill wait till i hear it on ESPN to somewhat believe that, they may just be playing a game to lower the price tag of the person they rlly want

Prov401
03-22-2009, 11:26 PM
KFFL is usually on their game. I didn't post the link but here it is.

http://kffl.com/hotw/nfl

The Spaz
03-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Once I hear they are in negotiations with him I will believe it.

Throne Logic
03-22-2009, 11:33 PM
That's sweet music to Dan Orlovsky's ears . . . heh

FlyingDutchman
03-22-2009, 11:40 PM
I knew they wouldnt take Stafford with the number 1 overall pick! Blow it out your a$$ Kiper!

realdealryan
03-22-2009, 11:45 PM
I wouldn't think that they are done talking to everyone yet. Media manipulation or jumping to conclusions. Or both.

SabreEleven
03-23-2009, 12:19 AM
I knew they wouldnt take Stafford with the number 1 overall pick! Blow it out your a$$ Kiper!

so the draft was today?

jamze132
03-23-2009, 12:56 AM
That will shake some things up...
No it won't. It seems that the only people that think they are going to draft a QB #1 overall are Kiper and his friends.

Mahdi
03-23-2009, 06:51 AM
If its true im 1 for 1 on my mock... sweet.

The Jokeman
03-23-2009, 07:21 AM
That's sweet music to Dan Orlovsky's ears . . . heh
Umm Orlovsky is in Houston (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-anrlovskyignsithoust&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy), so perhaps you meant Drew Stanton's ears or possibly Daunte Culpepper's?

ddaryl
03-23-2009, 07:36 AM
makes sense to me... Ya have to build the OL before you can expect success from the RB and QB positions.

but until it happens it is all hearsay

HHURRICANE
03-23-2009, 07:50 AM
They are negotiating with several players to make sure they can get a contract done before they draft them.

Heard that this AM on the way to work.

venis2k1
03-23-2009, 10:19 AM

Kipers the same idiot that has us taking an underacheiving TE with the 11th pick...With Raji and Orakpo still on the board. IF that were to happen, i would be done as a bills fan.

Mski
03-23-2009, 10:24 AM
i really dont think detroit is going to take a qb 1st overall.... my bet is on smith or curry... leaning more towards curry.... and i wouldnt be too suprised if stafford and sanchez are both still on the board at 11

Kenny
03-23-2009, 10:25 AM
If true, not a big surprise.
Stafford doesnt look to be worth the #1, so they go for the safer pick.

venis2k1
03-23-2009, 10:39 AM
and i wouldnt be too suprised if stafford and sanchez are both still on the board at 11

Speaking of Sanchez...I wouldnt touch him with a ten foot pole....saw him on sportscenter watching film with Rob Johnson getting ready for the draft.

DraftBoy
03-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Speaking of Sanchez...I wouldnt touch him with a ten foot pole....saw him on sportscenter watching film with Rob Johnson getting ready for the draft.

I like his personality, but other than that Im kinda meh on him.

Pinkerton Security
03-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Im not putting any weight to this rumor until I see something else supporting it.

ddaryl
03-23-2009, 10:55 AM
i really dont think detroit is going to take a qb 1st overall.... my bet is on smith or curry... leaning more towards curry.... and i wouldnt be too suprised if stafford and sanchez are both still on the board at 11

I don't think it will be Curry... 12 million a season for a LB.... that is way too much for a rookie LB (even though 12 million for any rookie is too much IMO)

I think Curry is going to drop a few picks, the 1st few picks have pretty much been regulated to QB's and OT's and difference making DE's. The only ones that really can justify the money that needs to be spent for the 1st pick

DraftBoy
03-23-2009, 10:55 AM
I dont see any reason why they wouldn't go OT here to be honest. But the pick of Jason Smith is a little surprising. He is not the finished product that a Monroe, Smith, or Oher are.

Bill Cody
03-23-2009, 04:45 PM
I dont see any reason why they wouldn't go OT here to be honest.

I can think of one. THEY HAVE NO QB!

Nighthawk
03-23-2009, 05:19 PM
I dont see any reason why they wouldn't go OT here to be honest. But the pick of Jason Smith is a little surprising. He is not the finished product that a Monroe, Smith, or Oher are.

My pick would be Monroe...most polished and ready to play at the NFL level. I think this OT class is pretty good, so they won't lose with any of the choices.

yordad
03-23-2009, 05:37 PM
My pick would be Monroe...most polished and ready to play at the NFL level. I think this OT class is pretty good, so they won't lose with any of the choices.So basically, they would screw themselves. While they give the number 1 pick 12 million, team B grabs the 4th OT at pick 13, and saves millions.

DraftBoy
03-23-2009, 05:45 PM
My pick would be Monroe...most polished and ready to play at the NFL level. I think this OT class is pretty good, so they won't lose with any of the choices.

Monroe or Smith for sure at this point. But you have to go with Monroe based on Smith's recent lazy ass showing. Basically Id say Jason Smith has the highest potential of all the OT's but may take a little bit longer to get to that ceiling.

Nighthawk
03-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Monroe or Smith for sure at this point. But you have to go with Monroe based on Smith's recent lazy ass showing. Basically Id say Jason Smith has the highest potential of all the OT's but may take a little bit longer to get to that ceiling.

Exactly...give him a year or two and he'll start to really shine.

Sportsuser101
03-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Seem to be beefing up there offensive line. Took Cherilus last year and now Smith. Some solid tackles right there. I still think they should take Stafford and grab Oher at #20 though

Stafford could now fall to the 49ers at #10 but I would not be suprised if the Seahawks suprise a few people and take him. Hasslebeck isn't getting any younger and with Smith going #1 and Monroe probably #2 I would not be suprised at all

Bill Cody
03-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Seem to be beefing up there offensive line. Took Cherilus last year and now Smith.

Sorry this is far from etched in stone. They are going to talk to several guys and it may some time before they make a decision on this but there really is only one right move. To me, when you're coming off 0-16 you don't create a buzz by drafting a tackle. Especially when you have no QB. I fully understand that Matt Stafford will struggle his first year and he will take a beating. So did Troy Aikman. So did Drew Bledsoe. So did Peyton Manning. Lions fans are on suicide watch. Doing anything other than take Stafford is dumb IMO. Stafford a) will be really good some day and b) will make watching an ass kicking almost palatable for Lions fans. Wait and see Stafford will be the pick.

Mski
03-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Sorry this is far from etched in stone. They are going to talk to several guys and it may some time before they make a decision on this but there really is only one right move. To me, when you're coming off 0-16 you don't create a buzz by drafting a tackle. Especially when you have no QB. I fully understand that Matt Stafford will struggle his first year and he will take a beating. So did Troy Aikman. So did Drew Bledsoe. So did Peyton Manning. Lions fans are on suicide watch. Doing anything other than take Stafford is dumb IMO. Stafford a) will be really good some day and b) will make watching an ass kicking almost palatable for Lions fans. Wait and see Stafford will be the pick.i dont see stafford as ever being in the same conversation as manning or aikman.. bledsoe possibly, thats why i dont think he's the guy.... and most likely the lions will be in the top 3 picks next year, i think there will be better qb options in next years draft.

Sportsuser101
04-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Sorry this is far from etched in stone. They are going to talk to several guys and it may some time before they make a decision on this but there really is only one right move. To me, when you're coming off 0-16 you don't create a buzz by drafting a tackle. Especially when you have no QB. I fully understand that Matt Stafford will struggle his first year and he will take a beating. So did Troy Aikman. So did Drew Bledsoe. So did Peyton Manning. Lions fans are on suicide watch. Doing anything other than take Stafford is dumb IMO. Stafford a) will be really good some day and b) will make watching an ass kicking almost palatable for Lions fans. Wait and see Stafford will be the pick.

Oops

justasportsfan
04-07-2009, 08:40 AM
If true will he be making more than Long?

TacklingDummy
04-07-2009, 09:07 AM
The speculation that the Lions would take an OT is only to ease contract talks with Stafford.

ddaryl
04-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Detroits smartest move is to grab a top OT... If they draft a QB he will be knocked around and take a beating while losing confidence and stunting his developement. OL first is the way to go IMHO.

I am not surprised at all by this move, and it makes the most sense at this junction for Detroit

SABURZFAN
04-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Seem to be beefing up there offensive line. Took Cherilus last year and now Smith. Some solid tackles right there. I still think they should take Stafford and grab Oher at #20 though

that is a nice couple of young T's. they can use #20 and #33 picks to get to work on the defense too. they're definitely starving for help on that side of the ball.

SABURZFAN
04-07-2009, 01:41 PM
To me, when you're coming off 0-16 you don't create a buzz by drafting a tackle.

it's understandable that OL aren't sexy picks. they are a couple of years down the road, unless you get a Jake Long. not saying Smith is going to be like Long but Detroit would be banking that he would solidify that spot for the next decade.

kid mickey
04-07-2009, 01:47 PM
All these sites are speculating as to what these teams will be doing. I personally think it is possible, but Matt Stafford is pretty tempting. I am not sure you could pass on him.

TacklingDummy
04-07-2009, 03:42 PM
I haven't read any reports about the Lions favoring one player or another.

BillsWin
04-07-2009, 03:53 PM
I wrote a piece on this for the station I think two weeks ago. How I personally thought Stafford was the way to go, but had recieved information that Smith was quickly becoming a priority. Good move by the Lions if it is all sure now.

DynaPaul
04-07-2009, 04:29 PM
its a good pick, start with your O-line and build out

See, you're 100% right... how does our FO not know this? You gotta build the lines first.

Bill Cody
04-22-2009, 10:21 PM

:cheers:

ct bills fan
04-22-2009, 10:43 PM
I think that's good news to us because there's a good chance Sanchez Stafford slides to our #11, creating some demand for the pick.

SABURZFAN
04-23-2009, 12:29 AM
I think that's good news to us because there's a good chance Sanchez Stafford slides to our #11, creating some demand for the pick.

i wouldn't mind seeing Buffalo trade out of the #11 spot but i'd like to see them trade up to get Curry. however, getting a 2010 1st Rounder would be a better choice when they could possibly get a 2nd and 4th this year if they were to trade down.

kernowboy
04-23-2009, 03:08 AM
They should take the OT, because based on how many holes their roster has, they'll still be drafting Sam Bradford next year.

Bradford v Stafford? I'd go Bradford

kernowboy
04-23-2009, 03:23 AM
But the KFFL story was posted ONE MONTH AGO.

Things will have moved on since then.

djjimkelly
04-23-2009, 03:42 AM
See, you're 100% right... how does our FO not know this? You gotta build the lines first.

our other FO knew this problem is they took williams instead of mckinnie

Kenny
04-23-2009, 07:23 AM
our other FO knew this problem is they took williams instead of mckinnie

And bringing in a player who didnt want to play in Buffalo would of helped us how?

Jan Reimers
04-23-2009, 07:30 AM
ESPN is reporting that the Lions are very close to a deal with Stafford.

kid mickey
04-23-2009, 10:40 AM
The Lions never said who they were targeting. Could be Stafford, but it also could be Jason Smith.

Bert102176
04-23-2009, 11:21 AM
I read on there that they would have a deal for Curry incase Stafford didn't sign

Bert102176
04-23-2009, 11:24 AM
i wouldn't mind seeing Buffalo trade out of the #11 spot but i'd like to see them trade up to get Curry. however, getting a 2010 1st Rounder would be a better choice when they could possibly get a 2nd and 4th this year if they were to trade down.

the cowboys are wanting to trade into the 1st round