PDA

View Full Version : About the Only Chance the Bills Can Win a game from the Pats

ghz in pittsburgh
03-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Even the genius Belichick himself said that you don't know what kind of team you have until the first 4 games.

Why?

NFL teams may not change philosophy one year to the next, but they change plays a great deal. The Bills are already doing this - WGR's Edwards interview had him saying that he has sat down with the Turk, Van Pelt, Kugs a couple of hours each day for the past two weeks going over their playbook. It's a common practice. Over 90% of the plays are in every team's playbook in one form or another. It's the little tweaking, the refined attacking point that make them look different, sometime to untrained eyes to be a total different play.

You have different players, so the execution can be very different. The Bills will have a different LG and C on OL. How they perform can mean a world of difference but you just don't know until you have some game film to study. Likewise some ineffective plays will be changed or thrown out all together. What about TO? What kind of routes they have him to run? You just don't know.

Likewise, NE has signed a lot of FAs so you don't know how they fit into their scheme. You may assume Brady to pick up where he left off, but no one can be sure after a year off and a couple of surgeries later.

The history bears this out, too. Week 1 seems to have more unpredictable results than any other week. For the Bills, obviously inferior to the Pats in almost all areas, Week 1 is their best chance to steal a game from the Pats.

yordad
03-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Other good news.....

When we get spanked, we won't be delusional over a fast start, like last year.

raphael120
03-23-2009, 02:21 PM
I ****ing hate this mentality. We need some kind of pathetic advantage to win in a game. But it's the mentality, as Bills fans, we all can't help to have.

It's never "well we can outplay them" it's always "well...they might suck a little worse than us because of this, this, and this!"

justasportsfan
03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Since Turk has no tape vs. the pats for this game, maybe the O will accidentally get it right in practice and practice the right thing.

Prov401
03-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Even the genius Belichick himself said that you don't know what kind of team you have until the first 4 games.

Why?

NFL teams may not change philosophy one year to the next, but they change plays a great deal. The Bills are already doing this - WGR's Edwards interview had him saying that he has sat down with the Turk, Van Pelt, Kugs a couple of hours each day for the past two weeks going over their playbook. It's a common practice. Over 90% of the plays are in every team's playbook in one form or another. It's the little tweaking, the refined attacking point that make them look different, sometime to untrained eyes to be a total different play.

You have different players, so the execution can be very different. The Bills will have a different LG and C on OL. How they perform can mean a world of difference but you just don't know until you have some game film to study. Likewise some ineffective plays will be changed or thrown out all together. What about TO? What kind of routes they have him to run? You just don't know.

Likewise, NE has signed a lot of FAs so you don't know how they fit into their scheme. You may assume Brady to pick up where he left off, but no one can be sure after a year off and a couple of surgeries later.

The history bears this out, too. Week 1 seems to have more unpredictable results than any other week. For the Bills, obviously inferior to the Pats in almost all areas, Week 1 is their best chance to steal a game from the Pats.

100% agree. It's true. And to the others posting and menstruating about this thread, face it... The Patriots are the most consistent team in the NFL, with arguably the greatest coach that has ever coached on their team. When they get into the flow of things, they ride the momentum usually into late January. They, as all NFL teams are in the begining of the season, are ripe for the pickings in the first few weeks. It's not so much the 'mentality' of us Bill's fans, as it is just straight out fact. The Patriots have owned us, and this is a perfect situation for Buffalo to finally beat the Pats. I just hope this goes down in Buffalo.

ddaryl
03-23-2009, 03:27 PM
I ****ing hate this mentality. We need some kind of pathetic advantage to win in a game. But it's the mentality, as Bills fans, we all can't help to have.

It's never "well we can outplay them" it's always "well...they might suck a little worse than us because of this, this, and this!"

it's unfortunate but Bills FO and owner have dragged us down to this level. I don't expect us to win either, unless the Pats screw up.
we have a HC that nobody has much confidence in, an OC who proved to be out of his league down the stretch last year, and aDefensive scheme that most everyone wants to see go the way of the DoDo in Buffalo.

We have holes at starting positions that leave us all feeling nervous, and the Pats basically have owned our asses for most of the decade.

I would love to feel differently but that is only going to come from winning consistenly whihc will then start breeding confidence back into the franchise, the players, and the fans

Syderick
03-23-2009, 03:34 PM
How about that 31-0 opener in 03, or few years ago when the Bills played the Pats tough in 06 with 19-17. That was Jauron's first game. I dunno something to consider

SeatownBillsFan21
03-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Get Milloy in here for week one.

realdealryan
03-23-2009, 10:01 PM
How about that 31-0 opener in 03, or few years ago when the Bills played the Pats tough in 06 with 19-17. That was Jauron's first game. I dunno something to consider

3-year cycle?

Since Turk has no tape vs. the pats for this game, maybe the O will accidentally get it right in practice and practice the right thing.

Has anything he's done given you the impression that he looks at film?

Enough negativity -

I have to say, the first play of the '06 opener was exciting. I got a phone call from a buddy - "You guys scored already?"
I was thinking...FINALLY!!!!!!!! Got their asses!

Let's hope the draft builds some confidence - that's how other teams get their good players....