PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV to make Sunday Ticket available to non-subscribers

BAM
03-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Cool. This is good news. It's about time (even though it won't take place for a couple years yet.)

DirecTV to make Sunday Ticket available to non-subscribers

DirecTV customers will continue to have access to the NFL's Sunday Ticket package for six more years after the league signed a extension with the satellite TV provider to carry its nationwide TV package through 2014. The deal is worth $1 billion per year (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-03-24-sunday-ticket-deal_N.htm), up from the $700 million annual value of the previous deal.

Sunday Ticket broadcasts all NFL games on Sunday afternoons, so viewers can see more than the games available in their local market.
For the first time, however, those without access to DirecTV will also be able to purchase Sunday Ticket packages.

DirecTV will sell its "Red Zone channel" to consumers via other cable, satellite and internet systems. The Red Zone channel cuts among all games in progress and highlights games in which teams are poised to score.

Also, those without access to DirecTV will be able to buy a version of Sunday Ticket for the first time via broadband.

NFL VP of media Steve Bornstein indicated the expansion to carriers other than DirecTV could be part of an effort to get wider distribution for the NFL Network. "This is a great opportunity for Big Cable to sit down and talk about a better relationship with the NFL," Bornstein said (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/sports/football/24sandomir.html) to the New York Times.
The new options won't come right away, however. The NFL said they will be in place by the 2012 season.

Lack of availability to DirecTV, which depends on a small satellite facing the southern sky, has long been a frustration to fans not connected to the home market of their favorite team.
DirecTV has owned the rights to the Sunday Ticket package since 1994.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2009/03/directv-to-make.html

streetkings01
03-24-2009, 11:40 AM
2012......make it 2010 and i'll get excited!

Luisito23
03-24-2009, 11:40 AM
It's cool, but I just wished that it started this season, because a couple of years is too long of a wait! :fit:

BAM
03-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Well I think of it this way... I remember reading many many years ago when DirecTV locked up their deal with the NFL until 2010. The wait is nearly over in those regards.

realdealryan
03-24-2009, 11:54 AM
It's cool, but I just wished that it started this season, because a couple of years is too long of a wait! :fit:

Totally agree. That's why I got DirecTv and the ticket at the beginning of last season.

Raptor
03-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Doesnt sound like the Sunday ticket is coming to non Direct TV homes

It looks more like the red zone channel which isnt very good and you can buy a different version of the ticket to watch on your computer.

I have Directv on one of my TV's just for the ticket but I will say once I can get that version on regular cable I'm dumping the dish

BAM
03-24-2009, 12:16 PM
I took broadband to mean cable as in cable tv too. Good point though.

cpearl
03-24-2009, 12:33 PM
DirecTV just extended the deal for 4 years and $1 Billion a year. This is great for the Bills - equal revenue being distributed between the teams.

streetkings01
03-24-2009, 12:43 PM
I cant get Directv.....trees are in the way! I have it setup with my brother who gets the ticket.....I give him $100 so he can order the superan. I get to watch the games on my laptop and he gets all the bells and whistles of the superfan.

Spiderweb
03-24-2009, 12:57 PM
All I know is that with the "new" DirecTV deal, the cost for the Ticket will simply continue to go up, just has it has year after year. In this economy (gee thanks George), The NFL should find ways to keep affordability a priority, but the Tagliabue legacy of pure greed marches on instead.....

I would love to see the "Ticket" also being on-line, but only at a reduced cost commensurate with the lower quality and limits it imposes.

madness
03-24-2009, 01:10 PM
NFL ticket is the only reason I overpay for DirecTV. Damn Bills obsession.

don137
03-24-2009, 01:16 PM
I canceled by NFL ticket. They are charging $290 for this season. That's over $18 a week for each Bills game not to mention the games that I will not need Direct TV that are shown nationally. I rather go to the local Bills bar and watch it with fellow Bills fans than pay that much every week. Its cheaper as well.

realdealryan
03-24-2009, 01:23 PM

Directv comes in a little cheaper than my Comcast did - before the ticket, that is.

Where did you see $290, Don?

I paid $300 + $100 for superfan last year. Regardless, $400/16 = $25/week, and by my math

beer + food + more beer + a few annoying people + no HD + no redzone ch + gas money = get the ticket

ddaryl
03-24-2009, 01:26 PM

actually after being a DirectTV subscriber for 10 years, and after visiting friends and family houses with cable... I'm never going back to cable. I find DirectTV just to be a superior product all together.

cpearl
I love the ticket. I will gladly overpay for it every year. Having every NFL game on my 50" HDTV, and every Bills game to watch on my own couch, can't be beat. Plus the Superfan with the online games is unreal.

BAM
Personally I'd rather go to the local Bills Backers chapter to watch it with all those guys but it'll at least be nice to at least have the option available.

Tatonka
03-24-2009, 01:48 PM
i have had the nfl ticket since it first came out, i think in 1997, so i am able to just pay for the nfl ticket without any other programming. i got grandfathered in. so i have satelite in just my rec room, and cable everywhere else.

madness
03-24-2009, 01:48 PM
actually after being a DirectTV subscriber for 10 years, and after visiting friends and family houses with cable... I'm never going back to cable. I find DirectTV just to be a superior product all together.

There's no denying that.

T-Long
03-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Good news for me because I have DirecTV solely for the reason of the ticket! It costs $400 to get it for the whole season in HD...but it's well worth it

SquishDaFish
03-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Ive had the package since the first year in 94 and will continue to have it. I will never go back to cable I see the crappy product when I go to friends houses no match to Direct TV IMO

SquishDaFish
03-24-2009, 03:23 PM
And the way I read that is that its going to b the Red Zone channel which really isnt that great. Better then what no direct tv people get dont get me wrong but its not that great. They go between all the games whenever they are about to score

BAM
03-24-2009, 06:36 PM
And the way I read that is that its going to b the Red Zone channel which really isnt that great. Better then what no direct tv people get dont get me wrong but its not that great. They go between all the games whenever they are about to score

If that's the case it's better than nothing. Comcast is supposedly taking away the NFL Network soon.

SquishDaFish
03-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Yea they are talkin about taking it away because the NFL wants it part of the normal package like Direct TV and Comcrap wants to charge for it.

BAM
03-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Yeah they're Nazis anymore. I reduced to basic cable because their prices were getting outrageous. My cable bill is $25 which is pretty sweet though.