PDA

View Full Version : quick tuesday update

patmoran2006
03-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Been real busy, I’ll back to doing things soon.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Just a few quick briefs:<o:p></o:p>
As I’m sure you’ve heard, the Bills are still interested in Duke Preston, expect him to go to Packers or back to Buffalo.. My money is on <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Green Bay</st1:place></st1:City>.<o:p></o:p>
The Jason Peters talks I’ve heard are going nowhere. They’re millions apart still, and if we’re being honest I’d be more than mildly surprised if he’s still a Bill on April 25<SUP>th</SUP>.. However, let me make this clear, the Bills will be beyond fortunate to get a first rounder for him, considering what the trading team will have to pay him in salary. If you’re a Bills fan, somehow, someway you want to see some ground made in the next few weeks.. you do NOT want to lose your left tackle when your OL is already suspect to begin with.<o:p></o:p>
A lot of people are panicking about some FA’s out there. Don’t expect much before the draft. Right now, both organizations and players are hesitant to sign until AFTER the draft. If a Cato June signs a contract, its not going to be guaranteed. If he inks now, and we take a LB at 11 he could be out of a job. Dig? Teams will see what they get in the draft and then address more holes afterwards (probably.) How many other teams have June, Keiaho, Foster and Simmons visited? Zero, right?<o:p></o:p>
This is the strategy JP Losman is using right now. He doesn’t want to sign until after the draft. If he goes to a team now and they end up drafting a QB, he’s screwed (or may be anyway)<o:p></o:p>
Lastly, I reported nearly a month ago the Bills were interested in Brian Waters, I stand by it and I know the Bills are still interested. How active? I don’t know. But they are interested. I still think, as I did a month ago, there is a reasonable chance we trade with KC before the draft.<o:p></o:p>

bigbub2352
03-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Any news on potential Scheffler trade?
I dont see us doing anything before the draft now, i really think they are pluggin that LG position form within bell or chambers

ddaryl
03-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Which is why the Bills need to start thinking OT at #11. OL trumps LB IMO, and our D last year, although not great, was adequate.

However our O was anemic, and our running game took 2/3 of th eyear to get up to speed. Something we cannot afford this season.

I wouldn't trade Peters but I'd draft Oher and pencil him in as LG and try to work with Peters. If Peters holds out again this year he is going to hurt his own worth, and the Bills will at least have personell on the roster to fill his absence.

Peters has pretty much forced our draft hand IMO, and like you mentioned Pat... who is willing to give up a 1st rd pick and pay Peters 12 million a season. Actually I wonder if any team would even consider paying peters 12 million even if he was a FA, especially after last years debacle on the field and the holdout

yordad
03-24-2009, 01:22 PM
I just think Peters doesn't want to be in B-lo. He used us. He thinks he deserves something bigger and better now. Douche.

yordad
03-24-2009, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't trade Peters but I'd draft Oher and pencil him in as LG and try to work with Peters. If Peters holds out again this year he is going to hurt his own worth, and the Bills will at least have personell on the roster to fill his absence.I think this is what will be done. Drafting a LT that could be an even better G would be a solid scenerio (unfortunately).

bigbub2352
03-24-2009, 01:33 PM
I just think Peters doesn't want to be in B-lo. He used us. He thinks he deserves something bigger and better now. Douche.

Agree 100%
I have yet to see this Elite shutdown LT that everyone talks about Peters suppossed to be, i watched him play RT and LT and yes we was good his first few yrs but last year he was a joke and the media kept pushing him and billing him as the next Anthony Munoz cause our Oline coach Mouse McNally dubbed him that
He is a distraction again this yr trade him get a late 1st rd pick for him and draft his replacement groom the kid u draft at RT and move Walker to LT for a yr with extra picks u get ur pass rush at 11 and maybe Duke Robinson in the 2nd then you got a young OLine for yrs to come
Trade Peters he is a cancer

WeAreArthurMoates
03-24-2009, 01:59 PM
I've been wanting Peters back since last year but I'm finally on the trade his ass bandwagon. I really hope we can work something out but it doesn't seem to be happening. I don't think we will get a 1st for him I just hope it's multiple draft picks. We really should sign Kevin Schafter.

X-Era
03-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Been real busy, I’ll back to doing things soon.<o:p></o:p>
Just a few quick briefs:<o:p></o:p>
As I’m sure you’ve heard, the Bills are still interested in Duke Preston, expect him to go to Packers or back to Buffalo.. My money is on <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Green Bay</st1:place></st1:city>.<o:p></o:p>
The Jason Peters talks I’ve heard are going nowhere. They’re millions apart still, and if we’re being honest I’d be more than mildly surprised if he’s still a Bill on April 25<sup>th</sup>.. However, let me make this clear, the Bills will be beyond fortunate to get a first rounder for him, considering what the trading team will have to pay him in salary. If you’re a Bills fan, somehow, someway you want to see some ground made in the next few weeks.. you do NOT want to lose your left tackle when your OL is already suspect to begin with.<o:p></o:p>
A lot of people are panicking about some FA’s out there. Don’t expect much before the draft. Right now, both organizations and players are hesitant to sign until AFTER the draft. If a Cato June signs a contract, its not going to be guaranteed. If he inks now, and we take a LB at 11 he could be out of a job. Dig? Teams will see what they get in the draft and then address more holes afterwards (probably.) How many other teams have June, Keiaho, Foster and Simmons visited? Zero, right?<o:p></o:p>
This is the strategy JP Losman is using right now. He doesn’t want to sign until after the draft. If he goes to a team now and they end up drafting a QB, he’s screwed (or may be anyway)<o:p></o:p>
Lastly, I reported nearly a month ago the Bills were interested in Brian Waters, I stand by it and I know the Bills are still interested. How active? I don’t know. But they are interested. I still think, as I did a month ago, there is a reasonable chance we trade with KC before the draft.<o:p></o:p>
To be honest, the writing is on the wall as far as free agents goes and has been for a while. Its obvious that we are waiting to see what we get out of the draft and that we will make moves after that if any.

IMO, thats an extremely scary scenario. Rarely do rookies play top notch from day one. Its just very unlikely. And at the much lower cost, I could see us trying to milk rookies for most if not all of our starting spots that we still need to fill. At that point your talking about a new starting LG, TE, and OLB. I dont mind starting a rookie at either TE or LB as much as I do a LG. It takes years to get decent on the OL. You want a rookie LG going up against NE's starting DL on opening day in Foxboro? Holy-
:poop:

As far as Peters, I really hope that the Bills dont ever even think about starting a rookie LT and LG in the same year... Move Langston to LT and start Chambers at RT? OK, less scary, but still pretty scary. And its basically a wasted pick that we get back because you know we will be drafting a new LT with one of our top picks.

My hope is that the Bills get wise and go ahead and sign guys like Kendall Simmons and/or Cato June after the draft REGARDLESS of who we take. Its just plain smart to develop the rookies a bit slower.

So none of this surprises me.

Pinkerton Security
03-24-2009, 02:09 PM
peters is realllllly pissing me off.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-24-2009, 02:10 PM
I disagree about this Peters thing. He is signed for two more years with us and I still think the Bills holds all the cards.

Last year's experience shows that neither Peters nor the Bills came out ahead on the standoff.

If I'm the Bills, the best solutions is to come to an agreeable long term deal. If not, I leave it status quo while drafting an OT. So I have Bell and the new guy in the wing as a potential replacement. I definitely will NOT trade Peters this year because, as I pointed out earlier, he has two years with us.

acehole
03-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Washington Redskins are willing that is who and they need a LT.

Which is why the Bills need to start thinking OT at #11. OL trumps LB IMO, and our D last year, although not great, was adequate.

However our O was anemic, and our running game took 2/3 of th eyear to get up to speed. Something we cannot afford this season.

I wouldn't trade Peters but I'd draft Oher and pencil him in as LG and try to work with Peters. If Peters holds out again this year he is going to hurt his own worth, and the Bills will at least have personell on the roster to fill his absence.

Peters has pretty much forced our draft hand IMO, and like you mentioned Pat... who is willing to give up a 1st rd pick and pay Peters 12 million a season. Actually I wonder if any team would even consider paying peters 12 million even if he was a FA, especially after last years debacle on the field and the holdout

shelby
03-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the update, Pat.

ddaryl
03-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Washington Redskins are willing that is who and they need a LT.

they don't have the cap room ... they probably need to make moves to be able to even have room for draft picks...

although I don't know for sure, I'm thinking Washington just can't swing it.

ddaryl
03-24-2009, 02:40 PM
IMO, thats an extremely scary scenario. Rarely do rookies play top notch from day one. Its just very unlikely. And at the much lower cost, I could see us trying to milk rookies for most if not all of our starting spots that we still need to fill. At that point your talking about a new starting LG, TE, and OLB. I dont mind starting a rookie at either TE or LB as much as I do a LG. It takes years to get decent on the OL. You want a rookie LG going up against NE's starting DL on opening day in Foxboro? Holy-

If it is a high quality rookie like Oher at LG I think we would see an improvement over what Dockery did for us last year.

patmoran2006
03-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Any news on potential Scheffler trade?
I dont see us doing anything before the draft now, i really think they are pluggin that LG position form within bell or chambers
if we do anything of significance before the draft, I would expect it to be a trade.

I know nothing about Scheffler.. Logically, it sure seems to make sense though.

If the Bills do sign a FA before April 25, I can guarantee it will be 100% on the terms the organization was looking for, meaning a June or Keiaho found absolutely no other options.

and I dont know if I got a chance to say how much I HATED the Pat Thomas signing. Unless they brought him in to compete with Ellison for a backup spot in camp. If they're competing for a starting spot, that's a complete joke. I've asked several KC about him, and I swear to God I didnt hear a single positive thing about this guy; not one.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-24-2009, 02:55 PM
At that point your talking about a new starting LG, TE, and OLB. I dont mind starting a rookie at either TE or LB as much as I do a LG.

I'm not that worried at all about it. Last year was a week guard draft and produced some good guys. Chilo Richal and Donald Thomas were opening day starters. Jeremy Zuttah, Josh Sitton, Kory Litchenstien all say playing time, played good and should be starters. In 07 when the class was strong, Justin Blaylock, Aaron Sears, Ben Grubbs, Marshall Yanda, Josh Beakman and in 06 you had Davin Joesph, Duece Luiti, Jason Spitz, Max Jean-Giles, Jahri Evans (I left out Butler cuz he didn't play that year). The best thing is this class is much better than any of those.

X-Era
03-24-2009, 03:20 PM
If it is a high quality rookie like Oher at LG I think we would see an improvement over what Dockery did for us last year.

My problem is not with that its possible... sure its possible. Its that its highly unlikely, and even worse, you have no real evidence to base that move on... none of these guys has ever played an NFL down. Again, that player would have to go up against some of the leagues best twice a year.

Its just not smart. Its too risky. But its what desperate teams, or teams that dont want to pay the money do.

X-Era
03-24-2009, 03:25 PM
if we do anything of significance before the draft, I would expect it to be a trade.

I know nothing about Scheffler.. Logically, it sure seems to make sense though.

If the Bills do sign a FA before April 25, I can guarantee it will be 100% on the terms the organization was looking for, meaning a June or Keiaho found absolutely no other options.

and I dont know if I got a chance to say how much I HATED the Pat Thomas signing. Unless they brought him in to compete with Ellison for a backup spot in camp. If they're competing for a starting spot, that's a complete joke. I've asked several KC about him, and I swear to God I didnt hear a single positive thing about this guy; not one.

I honestly think the Pat Thomas signing is for improving depth. This team had to actually start guys Like Ellison, Digi, and Corto at times. Thats just not good depth... period.

No, I cant see that we have the balls to try to start Pat Thomas at OLB... even the Bills arent that stupid.

X-Era
03-24-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm not that worried at all about it. Last year was a week guard draft and produced some good guys. Chilo Richal and Donald Thomas were opening day starters. Jeremy Zuttah, Josh Sitton, Kory Litchenstien all say playing time, played good and should be starters. In 07 when the class was strong, Justin Blaylock, Aaron Sears, Ben Grubbs, Marshall Yanda, Josh Beakman and in 06 you had Davin Joesph, Duece Luiti, Jason Spitz, Max Jean-Giles, Jahri Evans (I left out Butler cuz he didn't play that year). The best thing is this class is much better than any of those.

My problem with your post is that you merely listed guys that played... not guys that were even solid. This team has to go up against guys like Wilfork and Seymour and Jenkins remember? This is Trents blindside, remember?

ddaryl
03-24-2009, 03:29 PM
My problem is not with that its possible... sure its possible. Its that its highly unlikely, and even worse, you have no real evidence to base that move on... none of these guys has ever played an NFL down. Again, that player would have to go up against some of the leagues best twice a year.

Its just not smart. Its too risky. But its what desperate teams, or teams that dont want to pay the money do.

so do nothing and let Peters hold us hostage....

Oher is A highly graded T, and has played G, and some say he'll make a better G

If peters holds out and we do not take a quality OL who can start for us at G or T is risk IMO, and it is a smart team who invests into their OL.

I fail to see how not taking an OL who can replace Peters is even an option at this point.

X-Era
03-24-2009, 04:11 PM
so do nothing and let Peters hold us hostage....

Oher is A highly graded T, and has played G, and some say he'll make a better G

If peters holds out and we do not take a quality OL who can start for us at G or T is risk IMO, and it is a smart team who invests into their OL.

I fail to see how not taking an OL who can replace Peters is even an option at this point.
Peters, reportedly, is going to play and not holdout. So if were not willing to pay him, at least try to get him to play one more year before trading him to let our rookie LG develop.

I never said we shouldnt invest in our OL, what I said was I think its silly to start 2 rookies on our left side this year. Im also saying that trading Peters for a draft pick only to draft another LT who may never be worth anything is a waste of a draft pick. Thats simply going the cheap route because we dont want to pay our LT. What happens if that new LT becomes a pro-bowler? He too will want money that we apparently arent willing to spend.

How about we simply pay Peters the 9-10 mill per that hes worth?

But, fine, to follow your train of thought, if Peters has to be traded.. the smart move is to:

Move Walker to LT
Start Chambers at RT
Draft a G/T type
sign a guy like Kendall Simmons

That way our OL doesnt completely stink, and we still get a youngster to compete in the future. BTW, isnt that what Bell and Chyambers were supposedly for?

I simply dont see why we should trade a proven LT simply because we dont want to pay top 10 LT money only to draft a new guy who could be the next Mike Williams.

My personal favorite is to:

Pay 9-10 mill per for our franchise LT for the next 8-10 years

Sign Kendall Simmons to be a stop gap for the next 2-3 years while we devlop his replacement

Draft a guy who can play G/T maybe even C like Unger. But at least a solid G prospect.

jimbohastle51
03-24-2009, 05:21 PM
pat, i agree i dont think much will happen between now and the draft unless someone comes in at "our" terms and not there own, or a trade happens. i have to think there is no way the team would trade peters and draft 2 rookies and have our whole left starting side be rookies. if they trade peters and in fact draft a LT at 11 which will be a good tackle but not one of the elite ones sense at least 3 tackles will be gone in the top 10, we would be forced to probably trade more than we wanted to for waters because he would be an absolute nessessity then or pay goff or simmons more money than we wanted just to have a proven starter on the left side. T.O. or no T.O. we can't have hargartner and 2 rookies from C to LT that is insane and no recievers will be getting the ball cause trent and fitz will be injured. but i could see us trading for waters and then drafting a tackle. that actually makes sense. i also think we will get june or keiaho after the draft. even more jobs will be dried up after the draft and if we really want one of them we will probably get one heck of a deal on them.