PDA

View Full Version : Bills talking with Peters

Philagape
03-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Bills contact LT Peters to discuss new deal

DANA POINT, Calif. (AP)—The Buffalo Bills are attempting to negotiate a new contract with left tackle Jason Peters to avert another offseason holdout by their two-time Pro Bowl player.

Speaking at the NFL owners meetings Tuesday, coach Dick Jauron said the team has been in contact with Peters’ agent and added “we’re trying to get something done.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-peters&prov=ap&type=lgns

TacklingDummy
03-24-2009, 07:11 PM
The Bills have done everything right with the Jason Peters situation from the start.

It takes 2 sides to negotiate however.

bigbub2352
03-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Get it done get rid of the distraction we need it

Dr. Lecter
03-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Peters’ agent, Vincent Taylor, declined comment, telling The Associated Press on Tuesday he’s been instructed not to discuss the status of talks. As for the possibility of Peters missing the team’s offseason minicamps, Taylor said that has not been discussed.

Things that make you go hmmm.....

jimbohastle51
03-24-2009, 09:17 PM
he is going to sign. no way buffalo lets him go, especially with our LG situation. we cant have a new C who has never been a real starter for a 16 game season, and a rookie LG and rookie LT. no way with the investment in T.O. i think that they sign peters and draft a LG, or they trade for brian waters and draft a LT. either way there is no way that we just trade him and bring in a couple rookies to start. not with the Defenses we face in our division.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-24-2009, 09:22 PM
he is going to sign. no way buffalo lets him go, especially with our LG situation. we cant have a new C who has never been a real starter for a 16 game season, and a rookie LG and rookie LT. no way with the investment in T.O. i think that they sign peters and draft a LG, or they trade for brian waters and draft a LT. either way there is no way that we just trade him and bring in a couple rookies to start. not with the Defenses we face in our division.
<!-- / message -->

Man I really hope so and I agree. I also think there stuck cuz no team will want to trade for him knowing his demands. He just gotta suck it up and give a little more than we want. We need him and it looks good for our team.

Big Bad Boone
03-24-2009, 09:23 PM
If we do trade Peters, I'll assume he'll be replaced in the lineup by either Chambers or Bell, most likely with Walker swinging to the left side.

CAbills
03-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Peters is pissing me off. He played awful last season, one of the main reasons is that he missed the entire training camp and now we are on that same road again.

Yasgur's Farm
03-25-2009, 06:28 AM
I'm ready for...

Walker - Bell - Hangartner - Butler - Chambers

F' Peters!!!

Patti120
03-25-2009, 07:15 AM
I'm ready for...

F' Peters!!!

You forgot to add "and another concussion for TE".

DraftBoy
03-25-2009, 07:18 AM
Peters’ agent, Vincent Taylor, declined comment, telling The Associated Press on Tuesday he’s been instructed not to discuss the status of talks. As for the possibility of Peters missing the team’s offseason minicamps, Taylor said that has not been discussed.

Things that make you go hmmm.....

So who instructed him the Bills or Peters?

Dr. Lecter
03-25-2009, 07:19 AM
I think what is interesting is that Eugene Parker is not his agent.

DraftBoy
03-25-2009, 07:21 AM
I think what is interesting is that Eugene Parker is not his agent.

I thought we already knew he had switched agents?

ddaryl
03-25-2009, 07:27 AM
I thought we already knew he had switched agents?

I didn't know...

ddaryl
03-25-2009, 07:29 AM

well I don't know about that.

I say there is no way the Bills offer him more then the 8.5 - 9 million already on the table.

TacklingDummy
03-25-2009, 07:29 AM
You forgot to add "and another concussion for TE".

Funny thing is when TE received his concussion Peters was on the line that day.

ddaryl
03-25-2009, 07:33 AM

however the hit came form the right side and was a missed blitz pickup

Dr. Who
03-25-2009, 07:41 AM
Taylor and Parker work together. No change in agents.

Mahdi
03-25-2009, 07:48 AM
still trying to fool ppl eh.

TacklingDummy
03-25-2009, 07:54 AM
still trying to fool ppl eh. Nope. Just pointing out to Patti that Peters was on the line that day.

Concussions with Peters on the Line: 1
Concussions with Peters not playing: 0

QB injuries with Peters on the line: 5
QB injuries without Peters: 0

Jan Reimers
03-25-2009, 08:00 AM
While I would like Peters to stay, I have no sympathy for him. After tanking last year, he should be more than happy to play for $8-9 million a year. If that's not enough, I say trade him.

Mahdi
03-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Nope. Just pointing out to Patti that Peters was on the line that day.

Concussions with Peters on the Line: 1
Concussions with Peters not playing: 0

QB injuries with Peters on the line: 5
QB injuries without Peters: 0
I think yer sample sizes are a bit off though.

Mahdi
03-25-2009, 08:07 AM
While I would like Peters to stay, I have no sympathy for him. After tanking last year, he should be more than happy to play for $8-9 million a year. If that's not enough, I say trade him.
Peters is worth just as much as Gross. When Peters was at the top of his game in the second half of last season there was no one better. And that is why he made the ProBowl.

ddaryl
03-25-2009, 08:09 AM

the 12 million $$$$ question is, who would trade for a player who wants more then anyone is willing to pay ???

Which is why I stand by my theory of drafting Oher as our new LG who can also be an evnetual replacement for Peters. Keep negotiaitng with Peters but if he doesn't budge then let him play on his exisitng deal for 2009. If he holds out we have personel in place to soften the blow. If he signs or decides to just play on his exisitng deal we have pretty damn good rock solid OL for 2009.

HHURRICANE
03-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Peters will be signed...in Buffalo.

Facts for the mentlly challenged:

1) Peters has already stated that he "will not sit out again". So the douche reporter who used that as his "lead in" is a moron.

2) There were sacks that had nothing to do with Peters. Dockery missed tons of blocks last year which is either on him or Kugler.

3) Peters wants to play in Buffalo. Again he has stated that numerous times.

4) The guy has made the Pro-bowl twice and as of today was making less than Dockery and Walker.

5) This is not the Nate Clements situation. Pro Bowl LTs don't grow on trees. This is the guy you keep so him "whinning" about money is justified.

Let me ask this final question. The Bills rewarded Dockery with 20 million dollars for 2 years of mediocre play at LG. Peters has done everything that the coaching staff has asked him and wants to play here. Now he's negotiating his deal and we want him to rollover for the FO? The same FO that hasn't put a winning team on the field for almost a decade. I'm sorry but Peters needs to shoot high. He knows he's not getting 12 million a year but he also knows that taking 8.5 million isn't right either. It's a negotiation. Save your outrage for all of the other overpaid signings like Dockery, Price, and Royal.

methos4ever
03-25-2009, 08:37 AM
however the hit came form the right side and was a missed blitz pickup
Actually it wasn't a missed blitz pickup; it was a call that allowed one free man and the QB has to get rid of it before getting killed. Trent got rid of it as he was getting shellacked.

Jan Reimers
03-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Not everyone with a different opinion is mentally challenged.

psubills62
03-25-2009, 09:01 AM

1) Peters has already stated that he "will not sit out again". So the douche reporter who used that as his "lead in" is a moron.

2) There were sacks that had nothing to do with Peters. Dockery missed tons of blocks last year which is either on him or Kugler.

3) Peters wants to play in Buffalo. Again he has stated that numerous times.

4) The guy has made the Pro-bowl twice and as of today was making less than Dockery and Walker.

5) This is not the Nate Clements situation. Pro Bowl LTs don't grow on trees. This is the guy you keep so him "whinning" about money is justified.

Let me ask this final question. The Bills rewarded Dockery with 20 million dollars for 2 years of mediocre play at LG. Peters has done everything that the coaching staff has asked him and wants to play here. Now he's negotiating his deal and we want him to rollover for the FO? The same FO that hasn't put a winning team on the field for almost a decade. I'm sorry but Peters needs to shoot high. He knows he's not getting 12 million a year but he also knows that taking 8.5 million isn't right either. It's a negotiation. Save your outrage for all of the other overpaid signings like Dockery, Price, and Royal.

1) This is not a fact, this is a rumor that Peters told another guy, who told other people. He very well might not sit out of camp again, but it's not guaranteed at this point that he'll be there.

2) Dockery was credited with 8.25 sacks, the most of any LG in the league, last I knew. Peters still had his butt handed to him on a number of plays. If he's a dominant LT, he wouldn't have lapses like that. Michael Roos didn't, Jake Long didn't, Ryan Clady didn't...should I go on?

3) Well, I'm not sure I've heard that, but he doesn't have much choice at this point, except if he's traded.

4) I think most everyone can agree he got to the Pro Bowl (at least this year) based on his reputation, not his play. Yes, that means that the players and coaches think a lot of him. But getting people's respect doesn't earn you wins. Buffalo could EASILY find an LT that is more competent than Peters was last year.

"He knows he's not getting 12 million a year?" Huh? I thought that's what he was aiming for. If that's what he's demanding, how can you make that statement? You're also the one who keeps stating that "we could have locked him up for 8 million per year last offseason," and I keep asking how on earth you know that was his asking price last year? After all, Long signed the 11.5 million per year contract well before TC started.

The problem is that 2008 was the year for Peters to prove he's worth the money. It was supposed to be a huge motivation for him. If he can't perform when he's got that much motivation, who's to say he'll be dominant when he gets his money? He had a lot to prove in 2008 and didn't prove anything, he just created more questions. If he keeps playing like he did in 2008, then he's not worth what he's making right now, much less his demands for a new contract.

venis2k1
03-25-2009, 09:09 AM
I wish my boss gave me a 6 million dollar raise...maybe i shouldn't go to work until he agrees to it.

Jan Reimers
03-25-2009, 09:14 AM
I wish my boss gave me a 6 million dollar raise...maybe i shouldn't go to work until he agrees to it.
That'll teach the cheap bastard not to mess with you!

justasportsfan
03-25-2009, 03:20 PM
1) Michael Roos didn't, Jake Long didn't, Ryan Clady didn't...should I go on?

If Peters were on either of those teams he'd be way better than what he was last year.That goes for most of our offensive players.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-25-2009, 03:27 PM
If Peters were on either of those teams he'd be way better than what he was last year.That goes for most of our offensive players.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Aint that the truth. Fact is though you can't really judge him on last year. While he did it to himself, missing all the OTA's, Training Camp and Pre-season killed him. It took him 10 games to get comfortable and at that point he was playing much better. Even if it's overpaying just sign the man. We developed him so we have to keep him.

justasportsfan
03-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Aint that the truth. Fact is though you can't really judge him on last year. While he did it to himself, missing all the OTA's, Training Camp and Pre-season killed him. It took him 10 games to get comfortable and at that point he was playing much better. Even if it's overpaying just sign the man. We developed him so we have to keep him.
If we had a proven coaching staff I'd tell him to leave. Since we're depsperate and he's the most proven/talented player on this team, I don't care if it's overpaying. We're overpaying Kelsay anyways.

Oaf
03-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Whatever man, I can live with that if we add a starting caliber DE and LB through the draft (and maybe DT too!). Seriously, if we went 1. DE 1b. LB 2. OG 3.DT after trading Peters, I could live with that.

justasportsfan
03-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Whatever man, I can live with that if we add a starting caliber DE and LB through the draft (and maybe DT too!). Seriously, if we went 1. DE 1b. LB 2. OG 3.DT after trading Peters, I could live with that.
you mean you're okay with rebuilding our team all over again?

What if the players we draft end up being as mediocre as Whitner , POz, etc.etc.? Rebuild again in 2010?

It's not like this staff has a history of drafting studs or at least putting the player in situations to succeed on the field. If Whitner and co. are still mediocre at best after 2 years you honestly think rookies can come in and make an impact this year? They'll probably get Trent killed and then we'll be looking for a qb in next years draft thus making the TO signing worthless .The rebuilding continues.

TacklingDummy
03-25-2009, 05:54 PM

What do you think they been doing for the past 10 years?

HHURRICANE
03-25-2009, 06:53 PM

I think it's okay to think Peters is overpaid or he should be traded. It's another to say he wants to sit out when he's already said he wouldn't do it again. Or to say he's lazy or selfish when he hasn't demonstarted any of those qualities.

Anyone who wants to argue that 9-10 million is too much or we should trade for better value have at it.

I just hate when the guy gets villanized on stuff that isn't true.

Dr. Lecter
03-25-2009, 07:01 PM
I think it's okay to think Peters is overpaid or he should be traded. It's another to say he wants to sit out when he's already said he wouldn't do it again. Or to say he's lazy or selfish when he hasn't demonstarted any of those qualities.

Anyone who wants to argue that 9-10 million is too much or we should trade for better value have at it.

I just hate when the guy gets villanized on stuff that isn't true.

One could argue he showed a selfish trait last season with his holdout.

HHURRICANE
03-25-2009, 07:06 PM
One could argue he showed a selfish trait last season with his holdout.

Yeah you could except the Bills paid him as the number three lineman even though he made the pro bowl two years in a row.

You have to wonder how we were the only team to have a player miss a game over a contract dispute in how many years?

X-Era
03-25-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm ready for...

F' Peters!!!
Then your also ready to see Fitz... and then Baker... and then maybe a RB can throw the ball...

Dr. Lecter
03-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Yeah you could except the Bills paid him as the number three lineman even though he made the pro bowl two years in a row.

You have to wonder how we were the only team to have a player miss a game over a contract dispute in how many years?

The problem was with the way he conducted his holdout and would not communicate with the team.

Jaybird
03-25-2009, 08:56 PM
the bills can not trade him. he is a top LT in the game.... they don't come along so often.

we can not add more holes to this team. I truly believe we will make a move for a starting LG, we currently lack depth on the line.

Oaf
03-26-2009, 09:44 AM

What if the players we draft end up being as mediocre as Whitner , POz, etc.etc.? Rebuild again in 2010?

It's not like this staff has a history of drafting studs or at least putting the player in situations to succeed on the field. If Whitner and co. are still mediocre at best after 2 years you honestly think rookies can come in and make an impact this year? They'll probably get Trent killed and then we'll be looking for a qb in next years draft thus making the TO signing worthless .The rebuilding continues.
No man, I forgot to add the quoted statement. I think the line
Walker-rook (Duke Robinson)-Hangartner-Butler-Chambers works. I'm a big believer in Walker and Chambers, not so much the interior but not like Walker, whose been a great signing, can do any worse than Peters last year.

This line will be strictly average and Lynch may suffer more than Edwards, BUT if we can get a top flight front 7 on D through early drafting at DT DE LB, I think that's water under the bridge.

justasportsfan
03-26-2009, 09:59 AM
you tell em Jan.

justasportsfan
03-26-2009, 10:01 AM
What do you think they been doing for the past 10 years?
and your excuse was we lack contunuity and talent . Now you want to break that continuity and get rid of our best talent. You said the coaches are not the problem even though you're implying we should rebuild in their 4th year.

Make up your mind TD.

TacklingDummy
03-26-2009, 10:08 AM
and your excuse was we lack contunuity and talent . Now you want to break that continuity and get rid of our best talent. You said the coaches are not the problem and it's the lack of talent and then you want to trade the talent.

You need to trade value to receive value. If the Bills could get a 1st and 3rd for Peters, they could hopefully use the first 3 rounds of the draft to make the defense dominate for years to come. That's if the picks work out. You never know we could end up with another Flowers, M.Williams, or Losman. That's a risk I am willing to take.

TacklingDummy
03-26-2009, 10:11 AM
No man, I forgot to add the quoted statement. I think the line
Walker-rook (Duke Robinson)-Hangartner-Butler-Chambers works. I'm a big believer in Walker and Chambers, not so much the interior but not like Walker, whose been a great signing, can do any worse than Peters last year.

:clap:

Walker-rook (Duke Robinson)-Hangartner-Butler-Chambers, another teams 1 and 3rd>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Peters, Hangartener,Butler,Walker

justasportsfan
03-26-2009, 10:15 AM
You never know we could end up with another Flowers, M.Williams, or Losman. That's a risk I am willing to take.

UNder this staff.... MCcargo, Whitner(ave. for where he was drafted) , wasted 3rd rd. picks in Ellis, Shouman, etc.etc.

if this staff doesn't get it right again you'd be complaining about " it's been 15 years and we're still rebuilding" . If we lose with rookies you'd be saying "it's not the coaches ,it's the lack of talent ", or "we lack continuity" because we keep trading our best players.

Until this FO proves to draft rookies that make great impact in their first year (there hasn't been one ) , I am not gonna risk trading our best talent for someone who could either be a bust, our take years to develop under this staff.

TacklingDummy
03-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Until this FO proves to draft rookies that make great impact in their first year (there hasn't been one ) , I am not gonna risk trading our best talent for someone who could either be a bust, our take years to develop under this staff.

I understand your points. I also question how poorly the drafts have been. But eventually they have to get it right? :idunno: It's a risk trading Peters for picks but what do the Bills have to lose?

justasportsfan
03-26-2009, 10:34 AM
I understand your points. I also question how poorly the drafts have been. But eventually they have to get it right? :idunno: It's a risk trading Peters for picks but what do the Bills have to lose?
they can get it right without having to trade their best players away. If they want to clear cap space stop paying guys like Kelsay, keeping Wilson over Leonard, etc.etc.

I wasn't opposed to building via the draft . Problem is, unlike the Pats, we don't know how to develop players and this staff is in love with a system that isn't doing well and seems that they won't change.

At least Peters has been there and is young enough to get there again. The players this staff drafted haven't even gotten there an may never will. I'll take my chances with Peters.