PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Mini-camp To Become Annual Event For Rams

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-13-2003, 11:20 PM
Rams head coach Mike Martz said that he was so pleased with the Rams rookie and first year mini-camp last weekend that he plans on doing it every year.

29 players spent their weekend at Rams Park last Thursday through Sunday, learning the Rams offense and defense in over 19 hours of classroom time, and then applying their knowledge in six hours of on-field practice and drills.

“I am very pleased with the weekend,” Martz said. “I think that I like the enthusiasm of this group. This is a good atmosphere to start camp with the rookies. I am really happy with the way things worked out.”

“I am glad you are forced to do this,” Martz added. “It makes you to bring these guys into your system the right way. This is much better, and regardless of what happens, this is what we will do from here on out.”

This weekend the rookies and first year players will have their hands full when they match up against the veterans in the Rams mandatory mini-camp. They had a chance to learn the basics in a more intimate atmosphere last weekend, but this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday they will be going up against the best in the NFL.

“The speed of things will pick up dramatically next week,” Martz said. “That will shock them. I think they have a better chance of re-gaining their composure by having this knowledge and this kind of preparation.”

“This weekend gave these guys a chance to come in and not have those anxiety attacks about being with the veterans,” Martz added. “They get so many reps, and you can take this as fast or as slow from a teaching standpoint that you want. There are so many positives about doing it this way with young players. I think our young players have a chance of showing up early and having a positive review by doing it this way.”

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article|32673