PDA

View Full Version : Why are you a fan of the Buffalo Bills?

Prov401
03-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Basically, just a thread about how you became a fan of the Bills.

I actually used to root for the Pats back around 96' (I'm from Rhode Island, and my uncle is a huge Pat fan, so I didn't know any better. I also was 8). Any way, I didn't really follow football much, I was just a big Bledsoe fan. The 98' season is when I really started to watch. I was watching highlights on ESPN, and I'll never forget this. Week 7, Jacksonville Jaguars. Doug Flutie boot legs it to the left and runs it in for the touchdown. Orchard Park goes insane, and the Bills win the game. After that moment, I follwed Flutie and the Bills, and have been a die hard Bills fan ever since.

What's your story?

yordad
03-24-2009, 09:58 PM
I was raised a Bills fan.

Romes
03-24-2009, 10:00 PM
I enjoy the pain.

SquishDaFish
03-24-2009, 10:05 PM
I started watching football with my Dad (cowboys fan) back in 86-87 or so and just picked the Bills for some reason (jersey color or logo maybe) Dont really remember

cocamide
03-24-2009, 10:49 PM
I inherited it.

The Spaz
03-24-2009, 11:00 PM
I am from there and have always been a fan!:)

Mad Bomber
03-24-2009, 11:30 PM
I was born in Buffalo and grew up in Akron (about 15 miles from Buffalo).

I went to my first Bills game in 1964 at the Rockpile. I was 8 years old. I had been watching them on TV for about 2 years (hell, I thought that they were black and white - you younger fans might not know what I'm talking about). At that game, they all became larger than life. Wow, to an 8 year old, they WERE larger than life....

Before the game they let us go onto the field to meet the players and get autographs. I met Van Miller (legendary Bills broadcaster...FANDEMONIUM!!!!), Jack Kemp, Daryle Lamonica (the Mad Bomber), Billy Shaw, Tom Sestak, Jim Dunaway, John Tracey, Mike Stratton, Pete Gogolak (he stepped on myfoot - he spiked me), Elbert Dubenion, George Saimes, Ron McDole, Cookie Gilchrist, Al Bemiller, Tom (Tippy) Day, Wray Carlton, Ernie Warlick. Never got to meet Paul McGuire or Lou Saban.

They beat the crap out of the Houston Oilers in that game.

That 1964 team was INCREDIBLE.

Since then, it has been in my blood. This team is the heart and soul of Buffalo and Western New York. I have always looked at the Bills as a representative of where I came from and where my heart will always be.

That is precisely the reason that if they ever moved out of Western New York they would be DEAD to me.

psubills62
03-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Grew up in WNY. My dad sort of followed them during the season, but only on Sundays. I grew up doing the same, watching both them and PSU play football every weekend. In the last couple of years is when I've been following the Bills a lot more closely (joined the MB's, etc.).

SabreEleven
03-24-2009, 11:55 PM
I was born in Buffalo and grew up in Akron (about 15 miles from Buffalo).

I went to my first Bills game in 1964 at the Rockpile. I was 8 years old. I had been watching them on TV for about 2 years (hell, I thought that they were black and white - you younger fans might not know what I'm talking about). At that game, they all became larger than life. Wow, to an 8 year old, they WERE larger than life....

Before the game they let us go onto the field to meet the players and get autographs. I met Van Miller (legendary Bills broadcaster...FANDEMONIUM!!!!), Jack Kemp, Daryle Lamonica (the Mad Bomber), Billy Shaw, Tom Sestak, Jim Dunaway, John Tracey, Mike Stratton, Pete Gogolak (he stepped on myfoot - he spiked me), Elbert Dubenion, George Saimes, Ron McDole, Cookie Gilchrist, Al Bemiller, Tom (Tippy) Day, Wray Carlton, Ernie Warlick. Never got to meet Paul McGuire or Lou Saban.

They beat the crap out of the Houston Oilers in that game.

That 1964 team was INCREDIBLE.

Since then, it has been in my blood. This team is the heart and soul of Buffalo and Western New York. I have always looked at the Bills as a representative of where I came from and where my heart will always be.

That is precisely the reason that if they ever moved out of Western New York they would be DEAD to me.

You moved out of WNY before they did, You are dead to them. :)

Captain gameboy
03-25-2009, 05:41 AM
My Dad, my uncle and I went to a game in 62 or 63, can't remember.

What I do remember was the great smell of the hot dogs cooking on open flame charcoal, and sitting behind Dallas Texans, (this was before they became the Kansas City Chiefs) wide receiver Chris Burford's parents.
The entire stadium experience was overwhelming to me at that time.

One of my friend's father was an usher at the time, and he was always allowed to bring his son and one guest as standing room only fans.
In the early 70's I got a few week job as a ballboy at training camp.
No pay, just catch field goal attempts and set up the locker room etc.

I listened to every game that I couldn't attend from 63 on.
Been a fan ever since.

BAM
03-25-2009, 05:44 AM
I jumped on the bandwagon at 10 years old. However, I've stuck with them since then and even missed my father-in-law's wedding to go to a game. :couch:
:gobills:

Don't Panic
03-25-2009, 06:10 AM
My first game was in Rich Stadium in August of 1973 (the first at Rich)... in my mother's womb. I was still three weeks from being born, but she wanted to be there (more like my dad drug her there). Dad had season tickets into the 90s, and I have seen about 80-90 games there. Growing up going to Bills games made them a member of my family, and being a fan has been a great source of pride since I left the area. I care about them more than I do any other sports team (there really isn't even a close 2nd), and will until the day I, or they, die.

Buckets
03-25-2009, 06:53 AM
Hell I've been on board since day one. I even worked with a guy that played for the old Bills in the 40's or 50's (??), "Buckets" Hirsch, hence my moniker. We always accused him of being hit in the head too many times while only wearing those leather helmets.

Patti120
03-25-2009, 07:18 AM
Born into the damn curse!

DraftBoy
03-25-2009, 07:27 AM
Born in Buffalo, Raised to be a Bills fan, moved to Atlanta when I was 4. I have never actually attended a game, well that is till they play the Falcons in Atlanta next season that will be my first game ever.

Jan Reimers
03-25-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm a native WNYer who dropped the Browns when the Bills started play in 1960. I've been mostly miserable ever since, but hey, at least I got away from the Browns.

ddaryl
03-25-2009, 07:36 AM
Born in Lackawanna and raised in Hamburg.

Dad, my Uncle and their friends had season tickets, and I would get to goto games when I was real young. Saw OJ run for 2000yds the 2nd time, and I got to see him drive a white SUV down the highway 20 years later

Basically it is in my blood. Go ahead and cut me, I will bleed Buffalo blue

Pinkerton Security
03-25-2009, 08:04 AM
I was at the young and impressionable age of of 7 when that small Norwood event happened, and watching it with my Giants fan of a father, I couldnt figure out why the heck he was rooting for the Giants, the Bills just seemed cooler. So ever since...

tampabay25690
03-25-2009, 08:04 AM
Well obviously growing up in Buffalo for 20+ yrs that is the easy answer. But I didn't appreciate what the BUFFALO BILLS were till I left and went away to college in 95. You become more of a fan when you live the city you grew up in.......I always Loved the Bills but not as much till I became older.......

Living In Tampa I appreciate what the Bills mean to the CITY of Buffalo and us Bills fans across the world............

OpIv37
03-25-2009, 08:09 AM

I actually used to root for the Pats back around 96' (I'm from Rhode Island, and my uncle is a huge Pat fan, so I didn't know any better. I also was 8). Any way, I didn't really follow football much, I was just a big Bledsoe fan. The 98' season is when I really started to watch. I was watching highlights on ESPN, and I'll never forget this. Week 7, Jacksonville Jaguars. Doug Flutie boot legs it to the left and runs it in for the touchdown. Orchard Park goes insane, and the Bills win the game. After that moment, I follwed Flutie and the Bills, and have been a die hard Bills fan ever since.

What's your story?

I was at that game in OP....

I grew up in Rochester, so it was definitely Bills country. I started paying attention to football probably around '89 or '90, right as the Bills were getting good. The entire region was obsessed with them. I loved watching Kelly, Reed, Thomas, Talley, Bennett, Tasker and especially Bruce Smith. I've been a diehard fan ever since, even though I moved to Northern VA about 8 years ago.

Wally The Barber
03-25-2009, 08:20 AM

What's your story?
Anybody that rooted for the Patriots for even on game needs to be decontaminated and placed in isolation for 4- 6 weeks...

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-25-2009, 08:27 AM
I was born here. I moved to OP when I was 11. I use to walk down to the games with buddies, yeah we went to the games when we were 12, we would buy $5 tickets from the bus drivers. I didn't miss many games from 82-89.

Prov401
03-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Anybody that rooted for the Patriots for even on game needs to be decontaminated and placed in isolation for 4- 6 weeks...

Just for the simple fact that after I decided to start rooting for the Bills, the Pats have dominated the NFL, and I've still stuck with the most heart wrenching team in the leauge....Should deffinitley show enough commitment on my part. Just so everyone knows....I HATE the Pats :-)

Dujek
03-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Why are you a fan of the Buffalo Bills?

I ask myself that question every day...

shelby
03-25-2009, 02:59 PM
i used to live in Orchard Park. THE SLAMMER (my ex bro-in-law) brought me to Rich Stadium at the tender age of 5....i got to walk through the tunnel and onto the field...the rest is history.

T-Long
03-25-2009, 04:56 PM
I grew up in Northwestern PA (Steeler Country). When I was 7 years old in 1989, my Dad couldn't get Steeler tickets, but he did get Bills tickets in the last row. I had no idea who the Bills were...all I knew was I was going to an NFL game. That day, the Bills won 42-6 against the Colts and it was one of the greatest days of my life as a kid. We went with about 10 family members. I left with a new Bills hat and Bills football, and I have been a diehard ever since.

Devin
03-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Sometimes I dont know.

Akhippo
03-25-2009, 09:36 PM
I just started playing high school football and the Giants SB was the first game I really remember watching. Maybe this is going to save me thousands on a shrink, but maybe its my flaw that I picked the loser and stuck with them again, and again, and again.

I got ridiculed every year of my high school existance for each super bowl loss. But more than 15 years later im still flying out to seattle/denver/SD to see their games. Agonizing on this board after every loss.

bleve
03-25-2009, 10:49 PM
My Dad was a fan. On weekends he'd be tinkering around in the garage working on the car, or some other project and he'd have the radio on listening to Van Miller. I'd sit and ask questions about the team, about cars, about life. Good stuff.

I became a fan of the Bills, and I remember playing pickup games with the neighborhood guys, and I'd have a white T-shirt with an electrical tape 44 taped to the back, and I pretended to be Elbert Dubenion.

First game was at the Rockpile. My Dad took me and my cousins to a game in Late November against the newly formed Bengals. It was a blizzard - you could hardly see the field - but it didn't matter. We had plenty of hot chocolate and it was a great environment, and a great memory.

Now, Dad's gone, my kids really don't like football, and I'm out in California. But, every Sunday in the fall I trek to the local sports bar and meet up with the other wayward Bills fans, have a couple of beers, a couple of laughs, and wish to heck Dick Jauron would learn how to throw a freekin' challenge flag lol!.

The last buffalo fan
03-25-2009, 11:08 PM
My girls brother in law was from Miami and was named Jim, followed the Bills somehow. I wasn't that much into football, but loved the mix of the colors at that time and the logo (it is still is awesome to me). We went out for dinner and they were playing the phins. It has been a hell of memories over the past 22 years, last year was finally the first year that I watched all the games at home, and some day some how I'll go there to watch them play at Buffalo!! :gobills: