PDA

View Full Version : Peters could hold interest for Eagles.

patmoran2006
03-25-2009, 08:42 AM
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20090325_Eagles_Notes___Bills__Peters_could_hold_interest_for_Eagles.html

Pinkerton Security
03-25-2009, 08:51 AM
the eagles do have 2 firsts, if I'm not mistaken..

venis2k1
03-25-2009, 08:53 AM
The whole Peters debacle is very unfortunate. We just need to remember that he is under contract for 2 more years. We have all the hand in this situation.

don137
03-25-2009, 09:01 AM
The whole Peters debacle is very unfortunate. We just need to remember that he is under contract for 2 more years. We have all the hand in this situation.

I agree. The Bills really have all the cards. They could make Peters play out his last two years and then franchise him for another which will still make him a lot cheaper over the course of the next three years then if the Bills caved in to his demands.

Jan Reimers
03-25-2009, 09:11 AM
I agree. The Bills really have all the cards. They could make Peters play out his last two years and then franchise him for another which will still make him a lot cheaper over the course of the next three years then if the Bills caved in to his demands.
The trouble is, Peters tends to play like crap when he's unhappy, and he won't be happy until he has a new, rich contract. I'm moving more and more in the direction of trading the big, fat malcontent while he still has value.

ddaryl
03-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Unless Philly is willing to hand over both of their 1sts I would say he is not getting traded.

Peters is under contract he will only hurt his own worth by holding out. If he decides to play through the contract he is taking a lot of risk

WeAreArthurMoates
03-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Hey I'd take Phillys first pick and a seconder rounder or a first/ Max Jean-Giles but I just don't even see them doing that. Peters will soon realize that it will be hard for him to get traded due to his tough demands and we will get him signed. My prediction is 5 years at 52 million with 31 guarenteed.

streetkings01
03-25-2009, 10:05 AM
The trouble is, Peters tends to play like crap when he's unhappy, and he won't be happy until he has a new, rich contract. I'm moving more and more in the direction of trading the big, fat malcontent while he still has value.One more year like last year and we wont even be able to give Peters away!

Ed
03-25-2009, 11:54 AM
I really hope Peters just gets extended and we can be done with this, but at this point I would definitely consider taking 2 1st's from Philly. I mean even if we do make the playoffs, Peters will probably get hurt at the end of the year and have to miss the playoffs anyway.

Mahdi
03-25-2009, 12:13 PM
If the Eagles really are interested, its a clear sign that retaining Peters is the right thing to do.

Thurmal
03-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Is there any other team in the league that wouldn't find a way to restructure his contract?

He could be the best find in football over the last 5-7 years -- an undrafted TE to perennial Pro Bowl left tackle. The reason you have a scouting dept. is to dig up diamonds in the rough and have them contribute to your team -- not coach them into great players only to trade them away in their prime. How far could they possibly be off numbers-wise?

ddaryl
03-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Is there any other team in the league that wouldn't find a way to restructure his contract?

He could be the best find in football over the last 5-7 years -- an undrafted TE to perennial Pro Bowl left tackle. The reason you have a scouting dept. is to dig up diamonds in the rough and have them contribute to your team -- not coach them into great players only to trade them away in their prime. How far could they possibly be off numbers-wise?

the Bills have an offer that was apporximately 3 million a season apart from what Peters wants. Peters wants to be the highest paid LT in the game and that goes to Jake Long, Miami's 1st rd pick in 2008 at 11.5.

I think Peters needs to accept the Bills offer as it is right now, or play on his existing deal and wait till 2011 and risk career injury to be a UFA, or hold out some more and ruin his own chances at a payday later on . His gamble, he has a bird in the hand, but IMO Peters wants the 2 in the bush.

Bills hold most of the cards.

Thurmal
03-25-2009, 01:16 PM
the Bills have an offer that was apporximately 3 million a season apart from what Peters wants. Peters wants to be the highest paid LT in the game and that goes to Jake Long, Miami's 1st rd pick in 2008 at 11.5.

I think Peters needs to accept the Bills offer as it is right now, or play on his existing deal and wait till 2011 and risk career injury to be a UFA, or hold out some more and ruin his own chances at a payday later on . His gamble, he has a bird in the hand, but IMO Peters wants the 2 in the bush.

Bills hold most of the cards.
It wouldn't shock me at all if he did something dumb like held-out or tanked the season with poor play b/c he is unhappy. We're talking about a guy who, I believe, scored single digits on the Wonderlic test.

TonyBlack
03-25-2009, 06:16 PM
if philly trade both of their first picks for peters either they on period or pregnant lmfao

jimbohastle51
03-25-2009, 06:29 PM
i firmly believe that they will resign him. they cant afford to play this season, especially after giving T.O. 6.5 million guaranteed with out a LG C and LT. sure we can draft one sure starter (a LT at 11) but we cant afford to draft a LT at 11 and a LG with our second. that is crazy and we have too many other wholes with those picks. and hangartner is a HUGE unknown. he was never a starter by winning the job. they drafted a starting center when they already had him on the roster and remember kris jenkins beat him up in practice for years obviously (he never won the starting job out of training camp) and now he will go against him 2wice a year. i think there is no way they can not sign peters. if they trade for waters then maybe you can draft a LT at 11 but really we need to use that pick elsewhere and honestly we are not getting a top tackle at 11. in all likelyhood we will be getting the 4th best tackle. monroe, the kid from baylor and either the kid from alabama or oher will be gone if not all of them by 11.

JoeSelkirk
03-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Peters has choices. The Bills have choices.

With 2 years left on his contract, at 3M , why pay Peters more than we want? Look at Boldin, look at Chad Johnson. They cry and cry and cry and they're still under contract. This is the REALITY. The bills do not need to move him. He's still under contract. They would love to extend him at a reasonable rate. BUT THEY DON"T HAVE TO. They would like to retain a good relationship with a player and pay him FAIRLY.

Peters is clearly in the wrong. The only thing he can do is cry and cry. If he plays poorly from a contract dispute, nobody wins. His value goes down, and his trade value goes down. If he plays well, then his trade value goes up and so does his FAIR value.

Again, the Bills do not have to move him, they own him for 2 more years. The only deadline is the franchise deadline in 2 years. Up until that, the bills hold all the cards.

DANMAN
03-25-2009, 06:55 PM
I don't think that Philly is likely to trade for Peters knowing that they will have to sign him to a contract that makes him the highest paid LT in the league.

Philly is a pretty cheap franchise, they are always way under the salary cap and are very careful with their money. Rarely make a splash in FA, last time was the TO deal and we know how that worked out for them.

Paying any player 10+ Mil a year would be very out of character for them.
Much less trading multiple draft picks for a player and then giving him a ridiculously big contract.
They do not even want to pay McNabb that kinda money.

I wonder when was the last time that Philly had the highest paid player at any position much less LT which is one of the most expensive.

I bet Ralph spends more money a year then Philly does.

If they did trade with Buffalo for Peters, I don't think there is any way we get both first rounders.
If we get one of them and another later pick the Bills would be lucky.

Wish Jason would sign a top 5 LT contract instead of a tip top #1 contract.

Buffalo has more leverage, he has 2 years left on his contract and they could make him honor that contract and even franchise tag him after that. Then decide to extend him or trade him. If he holds out he will be costing himself money that he won't get back, he does not get paid for any games he misses.
Jason needs to be a bit more realistic and smarter.

I hope they are able to re-sign Peters.

HHURRICANE
03-25-2009, 06:59 PM
The reason you have a scouting dept. is to dig up diamonds in the rough and have them contribute to your team -- not coach them into great players only to trade them away in their prime. How far could they possibly be off numbers-wise?

You have summed up my biggest issue with the management of this team. Great post!!

The Bills let Winfield walk because they had Clements. But than they let Clements walk. So what did we gain? Nothing. They could have used the draft pick elsewhere and Winfield would still be playing.

We drafted Henry only to draft McGahee only to draft Lynch. Are you kidding me? Most teams don't have to replace their starting RB 3 times in 5 years.

jpdex12
03-25-2009, 07:20 PM
I don't think that Philly is likely to trade for Peters knowing that they will have to sign him to a contract that makes him the highest paid LT in the league.

Philly is a pretty cheap franchise, they are always way under the salary cap and are very careful with their money. Rarely make a splash in FA, last time was the TO deal and we know how that worked out for them.

Paying any player 10+ Mil a year would be very out of character for them.
Much less trading multiple draft picks for a player and then giving him a ridiculously big contract.
They do not even want to pay McNabb that kinda money.

I wonder when was the last time that Philly had the highest paid player at any position much less LT which is one of the most expensive.

I bet Ralph spends more money a year then Philly does.

If they did trade with Buffalo for Peters, I don't think there is any way we get both first rounders.
If we get one of them and another later pick the Bills would be lucky.

Wish Jason would sign a top 5 LT contract instead of a tip top #1 contract.

Buffalo has more leverage, he has 2 years left on his contract and they could make him honor that contract and even franchise tag him after that. Then decide to extend him or trade him. If he holds out he will be costing himself money that he won't get back, he does not get paid for any games he misses.
Jason needs to be a bit more realistic and smarter.

I hope they are able to re-sign Peters.

What about Asante Samuel?That was no cracker jack box signing!

don137
03-25-2009, 07:56 PM
The trouble is, Peters tends to play like crap when he's unhappy, and he won't be happy until he has a new, rich contract. I'm moving more and more in the direction of trading the big, fat malcontent while he still has value.
Well if he plays like garbage he hurts not only his team he also hurts his chances to land a rich contract. what team will want a player that tanked it and what athlete would want that type of player on their team? No I don't disagree with you Jan since he is not the smartest guy. All I am saying if he would have a lot to lose as well.

yordad
03-25-2009, 08:32 PM
What the heck does any of this have to do with the Eagles again?

The only reference to the Eagles was "That concern could lead to the Eagles' trying to make a deal with Buffalo for Peters, a left tackle who has been to the Pro Bowl the last two seasons".

Could? And how does the lead to a title that says "Peters could hold interest for Eagles."