PDA

View Full Version : Owens to receive public service award

madness
03-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Owens to receive public service award
Chris Brown, Lead Journalist
Posted Mar 25, 2009
AA
Bills wide receiver Terrell Owens will be the recipient of an award honoring his off the field exploits as he will be an honored guest of the Alzheimer’s Association at their sixth annual gala in Washington D.C. Wednesday evening.

Owens will be receiving the Young Champions Award, which honors a young professional for their commitment to the Alzheimer’s cause through philanthropy, volunteerism and advocacy.

Through his personal efforts, the recipient of the award provides leadership and inspiration to others in the fight against Alzheimer’s. Owens is the first ever recipient of the Young Champions Award.

From the early days of Owens’ career, the playmaking wide receiver has been an advocate for the fight against Alzheimer’s. Owens has testified before Senate subcommittees to increase federal funding for Alzheimer’s research. He has used his exploits on the field for fundraising, served as Celebrity chair for annual Memory Walks to raise money for research and been a spokesman for the Alzheimer’s Association Champion awareness campaign.

“Alzheimer’s is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States,” said Owens. “Alzheimer’s has affected my own family, so I understand first-hand the impact of this disease. I am proud to support the Alzheimer’s Association as they educate people on the realities of Alzheimer’s disease so we can inspire enough support to stop it.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/owens-to-receive-public-service-award/1d6a96fd-c1d2-4609-9cd8-428c78c1b161

madness
03-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Owens also supports underprivileged families
Chris Brown
Posted March 25th, 2009
Tags: Terrell Owens
For those that were intrigued to find out about Owens’ charitable endeavors as he’s to receive an award this evening for his extensive work for the Alzheimer’s Association, Owens also has his foundation (Catch a Dream Foundation), which works to provide basic daily needs (food, clothing, shelter) for families in need.

He’s held an annual celebrity charity event the past two years to raise money for the cause. For more information you can go to Owens website and click on the Foundation tab.

I’m curious as to what you the fan thinks about this other side of Owens. So let me know.

madness
03-25-2009, 11:14 AM
I’m curious as to what you the fan thinks about this other side of Owens. So let me know.

Honestly, I think most fans suffer from the same infliction as T.O. ... diarrhea of the mouth.

cpearl
03-25-2009, 11:16 AM
My family is directly affected by this disease and I find is great that TO is so active in working to help eradicate it.

Stories like this will go a long way to change his image. Especially in Buffalo.

Jan Reimers
03-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Sounds as if he's like a lot of us. A pretty damned good guy, but with a few flaws.

madness
03-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Sounds as if he's like a lot of us. A pretty damned good guy, but with a few flaws.

Except the media doesn't expose our flaws for the whole world to see. :up:

Goobylal
03-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Why is that jerk TO doing worthless stuff like this and NOT in Buffalo working-out? :rolleyes:

cocamide
03-25-2009, 12:00 PM
I like how TO missing voluntary workouts makes the front page of NFL.com and ESPN.com, but this doesn't. (To be fair, it is mentioned on the NFL section of ESPN's page.) I really hope TO puts his money where his mouth is and becomes a leader of this team and makes the players around him better. We could really use someone like that.

cocamide
03-25-2009, 02:33 PM
I like how TO missing voluntary workouts makes the front page of NFL.com and ESPN.com, but this doesn't. (To be fair, it is mentioned on the NFL section of ESPN's page.) I really hope TO puts his money where his mouth is and becomes a leader of this team and makes the players around him better. We could really use someone like that.

To be fair again, this story is on the front of NFL.com.

justasportsfan
03-25-2009, 02:41 PM
His personal life oustside of football was never in question.