X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

So How is Chris Ellis Doing?

A friend of mine (VT grad) reminded me about his boy Chris Ellis with the following link.

If junior Chris Ellis enjoys the type of season he expects to have, the Hokies' defense will have a third all-American hopeful.

Honestly I haven't followed his progress last year at all. I remembered reading somehwere that he needs to gain weight and needs to improve his technique (like being too high from his stands). So far this off season, he's off the map completely.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: So How is Chris Ellis Doing?

All these DE/OLB pass rushing hybrid types in the draft. Looks like he could lineup as a pass rushing LB like Maybin, Orakpo, Brown. He had that type of ability in college, like these guys.

Hey coaching staff..Knock,knock..

you have nothing to lose.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
      • Jul 2002

He didn't get much of a chance last year.

Comment

• Raptor
        • Jan 2009

You know this is the stuff C.Brown should be updating us on

Comment

• bigbub2352
          • Feb 2005

THe proof is in the pudding Only our ****bag coaching staff and FO wouldnt see the tredn coming out of college is that the DE/OLB tweeners which is what this draft is chalk full of are what has been coming out of college these days
          but hey lets stick with that awesome Cover2

Hope Ellis gets a chance over Copeland Bryan this yr
          XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
            • Apr 2005

He had a miserable preseason. Lucky to be on the team

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by bigbub2352
              THe proof is in the pudding Only our ****bag coaching staff and FO wouldnt see the tredn coming out of college is that the DE/OLB tweeners which is what this draft is chalk full of are what has been coming out of college these days
              but hey lets stick with that awesome Cover2

Hope Ellis gets a chance over Copeland Bryan this yr
              Our insisting on keeping the cover 2 means we're smarter than majority of the teams in this league that use a 3-4 and made it to the playoffs or won a sb.
              Last edited by justasportsfan; 03-25-2009, 03:47 PM.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

He was on the roster for all of last season, but was inactive most weeks. He got a little playing time toward the end of the season and had a yackle or two. As Flying Dutchman states, he had a terrible preseason. He was not nearly as NFL ready as we might have hoped. Still, the team thought enough of his upside to keep him on the active roster rather than put him on the PS and risk someone signing him away. His main weakness was literally his weakness, He needed to get a lot stronger. I guess he probably struggled a bit learning the defense too. Tom Modrak said in a videotaped interview this offseason (you can find it at www.buffalobills.com that he expected Ellis to make about as big a jump as anyone from his first to his second season. Of course, he has further to jump than just about anyone too. He does have that upside though, so there's hope.
                I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                  Our insisting on keeping the cover 2 means we're smarter than majority of the teams in this league that use a 3-4 and made it to the playoffs or won a sb.
                  There is at least one possible advantage in sticking with the Tampa 2 and resisting the trend toward the 3-4. With so few teams using the Tampa 2 most of the offenses Buffalo faces will have less and less exposure to the Tampa 2 as time goes on. I'm being only sllightly facetious here. It is true that the more everyone does things the same way on defense, the more opportunity offensive coordinators will have to develop effective ways to attack it. That is part of the reason why defenses become more or less effective.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                    • Jul 2002

I note that your link is from 2006, not meaningful anymore.

I think I was the most vocal supporter of Ellis in the draft, and I will stand by that for one more year.

I saw him three or four times in college, live, and being a Bills fan, the guys I watch play college that we draft remind me of former Bills.

What he reminded me of, and why I was happy we got him, was Daryl Talley.

Admitedly, he is about 30 pounds heavier, as is normal for the spread between LB and DE positions.

But he was so fast.
                    In college, offensive players are a lot faster than defensive players.
                    You get used to watching the difference.
                    Ellis looked like he was as fast as any linebacker. He looked like a kid that needed to play pro.
                    During the draft, I mentioned that I thought he could be a better pass rusher than Chris Long, who I have seen countless times.

I still like the kid.

This is his make or break year.
                    Last edited by Captain gameboy; 03-25-2009, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• venis2k1
                      Youboty can hope
                      • Jul 2002

I hope he turns it around. I cant handle another John McCargo-esque disappointment on the D-line.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by TigerJ
                        He was on the roster for all of last season, but was inactive most weeks. He got a little playing time toward the end of the season and had a yackle or two. As Flying Dutchman states, he had a terrible preseason. He was not nearly as NFL ready as we might have hoped. Still, the team thought enough of his upside to keep him on the active roster rather than put him on the PS and risk someone signing him away. His main weakness was literally his weakness, He needed to get a lot stronger. I guess he probably struggled a bit learning the defense too. Tom Modrak said in a videotaped interview this offseason (you can find it at www.buffalobills.com that he expected Ellis to make about as big a jump as anyone from his first to his second season. Of course, he has further to jump than just about anyone too. He does have that upside though, so there's hope.
                        I feel better now that Modrak said that. His drafts are so good that I'm not worried anymore.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                          • Feb 2005

Right now he looks like a WASTE of a high draft pick. Hopefully he can change that this year.

Comment

• jimbohastle51
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

he is was known as a lazy player in college and it showed through in his preparation last year. he was WAY behind the curve. hopefully he can pull it together this year.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jimbohastle51
                              he is was known as a lazy player in college and it showed through in his preparation last year. he was WAY behind the curve. hopefully he can pull it together this year.
                              Where did you see that he was lazy at Virginia Tech?

Comment

Working...
                              X