PDA

View Full Version : As usual #11 in this year's draft is like last year.

HHURRICANE
03-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Can anyone convince me that anything worthwhile will be there at #11.

Orakpo just sealed himself as a top ten pick. A TE at #11 is a giant waste as Pettigrew may not even be 1st round talent.

So now what? Get me excited because I don't see a slam dunk starter at #11.

Philagape
03-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Apparently the ones with the best chance are interior o-line, which is not commonly thought of in the top half of the first round.
Not that I agree with that groupthink. I think that area is pretty important.

Maybe linebackers.

The last buffalo fan
03-25-2009, 07:47 PM
DLine first, then LB.

don137
03-25-2009, 07:53 PM
I am sure their will a couple players taken in the first round after the 10th pick that will go on to become a pro bowl player. The key is to take the right player that will become an all pro player.
It's not where you pick. It's what you do with your pick that counts.

BuffaloBillsStampede
03-25-2009, 08:01 PM
I am starting to like the idea of LB at 11 then trade back up and grab Micheal Johnson

ddaryl
03-26-2009, 08:44 AM
we need OL regardless of wether peters signs or not... We are open at LG and our depth is now thin because we released a lot of dead weight.

There is plenty of OL talent to be had at #11, ... and there are quite a few LB options @ 11 that would represent an upgrade for us.

The DE's left on board at #11 is a head scratcher because so many of them are hybrid DE's / 3-4 OLB's

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Nothing will be ever be good for the Buffalo Bills and the #11.

TonyBlack
03-26-2009, 10:26 AM
i would draft Eugene Monroe or Aaron Maybin (if available)

streetkings01
03-26-2009, 11:33 AM
I thought we drafted the #1 rated CB in the draft last year?

patmoran2006
03-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Apparently the ones with the best chance are interior o-line, which is not commonly thought of in the top half of the first round.
Not that I agree with that groupthink. I think that area is pretty important.

Maybe linebackers.
That's alex mack in your avatar right?
I just saw a mock, I think it was by Wyche on nfl.com, and shockingly he didnt have him the first round. i thought that was kinda crazy.

Philagape
03-26-2009, 12:12 PM
That's alex mack in your avatar right?
I just saw a mock, I think it was by Wyche on nfl.com, and shockingly he didnt have him the first round. i thought that was kinda crazy.

Most have him to the Steelers at 32, but I've seen him as high as Minnesota at 22. I'd love for the Bills to trade down (or up from the second) and get him. I'd rather have him than a tweener DE project.

OpIv37
03-26-2009, 12:13 PM
The problem isn't #11. There will still be a lot of talent available at #1. The problem for the Bills- and it's the same problem every year- is that this team DEPENDS on the draft to find starters. If we had the luxury of taking the best player available at 11, there is no doubt in my mind that we'd have a quality player in a year or two. But as usual, this team has been mismanaged and we need quality players NOW and we need them in specific positions.

This makes it very difficult to get the player we need out of the draft.

Philagape
03-26-2009, 12:18 PM
The best combination of impact/risk/need/"value" is probably Maualuga IMO
Or Oher if he's available

The DEs will have limited impact and/or high risk
An interior lineman won't have "value" at our spot, although I think a pick's value is determined by what he does in the NFL

Nighthawk
03-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Nothing will be ever be good for the Buffalo Bills and the #11.

Norwood & then Bledsoe...the #11 is bad luck.

OpIv37
03-26-2009, 12:25 PM
although I think a pick's value is determined by what he does in the NFL

wow, Buffalo gets terrible value out of the draft by that standard.

DrGraves
03-26-2009, 02:08 PM
We'll make a stretch pick like we always do and they won't work out and we'll all be disappointed.

streetkings01
03-26-2009, 02:18 PM
We'll make a stretch pick like we always do and they won't work out and we'll all be disappointed.Our 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008 1st rd picks are starters.....so it aint as bad as people make it out to be.

OpIv37
03-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Our 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008 1st rd picks are starters.....so it aint as bad as people make it out to be.

2004- Evans- no problems here
2006- Whitner and McCargo. McCargo's a complete bust, Whitner is average at best and nowhere NEAR worthy of the 8th pick
2007- Lynch- GREAT player on the field, problems off the field
2008-McKelvin, looks good so far but it's really too soon to tell.

Just because they're all starters doesn't automatically mean we're drafting well.

psubills62
03-26-2009, 02:38 PM
I think that, especially this year, part of the problem (or maybe it's a good thing?) is that our needs are specifically at positions that generally don't go in the first round.

TE - Very, very rarely do you have a tight end who is actually worth the #11 pick.
OG - No one picks guards this early...unless you pick a tackle and start him out at OG.
OC - Yes I think we still need a center, at least for depth. And they are never picked at 11 either.
FB - I've seen maybe one person who was happy with Corey McIntyre. We could use a truly good FB.

So the good thing is that we could get several top players at need positions in the first three rounds. The bad news is that we HAVE to get top players at need positions in the first three rounds and beyond.

patmoran2006
03-26-2009, 02:39 PM
I really have no idea what the Bills are going to do.

These tweeners like Maybin and Brown, not sure if they're a fit in this defense.

Who knows about Jason Peters, and if we need to target a guy like Michael Oher.

Brandon Pettigrew would be good, but certainly not at 11 (IMO)

Ayers is a more traditonal DE, but is he worth the 11th pick?

I'd love BJ Raji, but I highly doubt he's there at 11.

Tough to gage this year for Buffalo.

I really hope we trade down unless a guy we really like slides.

Crisis
03-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Norwood & then Bledsoe...the #11 is bad luck.

I see your Bledsoe and raise you Rob Johnson

Saratoga Slim
03-26-2009, 07:21 PM
I really have no idea what the Bills are going to do.

These tweeners like Maybin and Brown, not sure if they're a fit in this defense.

Who knows about Jason Peters, and if we need to target a guy like Michael Oher.

Brandon Pettigrew would be good, but certainly not at 11 (IMO)

Ayers is a more traditonal DE, but is he worth the 11th pick?

I'd love BJ Raji, but I highly doubt he's there at 11.

Tough to gage this year for Buffalo.

I really hope we trade down unless a guy we really like slides.

As of now, and assuming that we re-sign Peters, I'd be most excited about Raji at 11, unless someone really unexpected (Orakpo, Crabtree, Curry) falls to us.

elltrain22
03-27-2009, 07:51 AM
There are some good options if Orakpo, Maybin, Raji, and some of our other fav's are off the board. First, I'd be very happy w/ Everrette Brown. Big, strong, athletic, and it's very realistic he'll be there @11 when we pick. Another pick I would really be excited about would be Rey Maualuga. I've seen alot of USC's games, and everytime I've watch, I've been very impressed w/ how he plays the game. Malcolm Jenkins also is another player that would help us out, especially since the loss of Greer.

I know what you're saying. I'd really love to draft Orakpo, or Aaron Curry, but there are options after that.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Everrette Brown. Big, strong, athletic, and it's very realistic he'll be there @11 when we pick. Another pick I would really be excited about would be Rey Maualuga.

Everette would be good for this D but I just don't see him falling past GB. I've been on Mauluga's bandwagon hardcore for a month now. The only other player I want over him his Raji and that's just for one simple reason, impact. Mauluga would have a bigger impact than any of the other tweeners in the draft. He gives us a playmaker in the front 7, will be a huge upgrade in terms of the run game and yet still can blitz the hell out of the qb.

HHURRICANE
03-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Our 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008 1st rd picks are starters.....so it aint as bad as people make it out to be.

Look at the players that have been taken one or two spots before us. Patrick Willis or Ben Rothlinsberger in a Bills uni and this team would already look different.

elltrain22
03-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Look at the players that have been taken one or two spots before us. Patrick Willis or Ben Rothlinsberger in a Bills uni and this team would already look different.

Can't argue that point, especially about big ben

psubills62
03-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Everette would be good for this D but I just don't see him falling past GB. I've been on Mauluga's bandwagon hardcore for a month now. The only other player I want over him his Raji and that's just for one simple reason, impact. Mauluga would have a bigger impact than any of the other tweeners in the draft. He gives us a playmaker in the front 7, will be a huge upgrade in terms of the run game and yet still can blitz the hell out of the qb.

Raji is the guy I don't see getting past GB. They need an NT. I could see Raji going as high as #3 to KC because they need an NT for their new 3-4 scheme as well. Dorsey isn't going to cut it.

The Jokeman
03-27-2009, 06:22 PM
As the draft gets closer and closer I'm hesitant on Browne being available but much rather take him then Maybin who to me is a major gamble. Though not really sold on either one. Yet one guy that might be there that at least makes some sense is Michael Oher as read some reports questioning if he really has what it takes to be a LT perhaps we can pull a Ruben Brown and shift him to LG. Although in a perfect world would much rather trade down and being to grab a guy like Peria Jerry who thinks gives us the pass rushing everyone agrees we need but comes from a position of weakness. As I like the idea of a starting D-line of Schobel, Stroud, Jerry and Kelsay vs taking a guy like Maybin who probably wouldn't even start for us unless plan to shift him to OLB which could be a big time mistake.

EDIT:

Raji is the guy I don't see getting past GB. They need an NT. I could see Raji going as high as #3 to KC because they need an NT for their new 3-4 scheme as well. Dorsey isn't going to cut it.

If the Chiefs take Raji they could shift Dorsey to DE for their 3-4 scheme.

Ingtar33
03-27-2009, 06:25 PM

I agree with Ben.

Poz was better then Willis was last year... but you're right if you look just at that rookie year.

The Jokeman
03-27-2009, 06:34 PM
I agree with Ben.

Poz was better then Willis was last year... but you're right if you look just at that rookie year.
How? Willis had more tackles, more passes defensed and San Fran's rushing defense ranked better then ours last year. I hate to say it but felt Poz was worse then Digi was in 2008.

Ingtar33
03-27-2009, 06:54 PM
but felt Poz was worse then Digi was in 2008.

did you watch san fran this year? it's a different defense then what we run so the stat comparison doesn't really work. Willis was a liability almost all year.

put that aside.

You "felt" Poz was worse then Digi? Unfortunately "gut feelings" are a poor way to make personnel decisions. Digi had a great first 3 games last year. I mean he was out of his mind special. After that, his play took a rapid nosedive.

In a lot of ways your first impression is the strongest one that sticks. look at henry jones... who made the probowl in his rookie year, and never went back, or even played close to as good, the rest of his career.

I don't blame you for being wow'ed by digi's first few games last year. but when you look at the whole of his work over the course of the season, he was mostly a liability in every aspect of the defense.

Poz on the other hand suffered from his early season struggles in pass defense (he got much better as the season went on). Is he perfect? nope. but he's a solid starting MLB, who's shown a lot of growth over the slightly less then 20 games he's played for us.

By the end of the year, he was nearly probowl quality.