PDA

View Full Version : Owens won't come to any of the voluntary workouts

Romes
03-26-2009, 08:56 AM
"I talked to coach Jauron prior to the start of the workouts about that," Owens said, according to the report. "Right now if there's nothing mandatory that I have to be a part of, then I won't intend to be there."

Owens said he expects to attend the Bills' minicamp in June and could possibly work out with his new teammates at other some point in the offseason. But when it comes to staying in shape, T.O. prefers to do things his way, on his own.

"I've never gone to a voluntary workout," Owens said, according to USA Today. "I have a personal trainer. I take very good care of myself. I take pride in coming into camp in shape.
"If I'm in the area, I tend to stop by the facilities and work out with the guys. You know, I'm looking forward to that type of stuff."

Owens, who was in Washington on Wednesday night to receive an award from the Alzheimer's Association, said he has reached out to Bills quarterback Trent Edwards and that he's anxious to build a good relationship. "We talked shortly after I signed and we exchanged text messages," Owens said. "We're looking forward to the upcoming season."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4017048

I have no problem with this.

Jan Reimers
03-26-2009, 08:59 AM
At his age and level of production, coupled with his great offseason conditioning, TO has earned the right to stay home.

Pinkerton Security
03-26-2009, 09:01 AM
fine with me! His personal trainer is apparently pretty good bc TO is DAMN physically fit and is 35. Maybe everyone should go train with TO instead!

venis2k1
03-26-2009, 09:03 AM
fine with me! His personal trainer is apparently pretty good bc TO is DAMN physically fit and is 35. Maybe everyone should go train with TO instead!

could you imagine 53 guys doing sit ups in TOs driveway??

Pinkerton Security
03-26-2009, 09:04 AM
could you imagine 53 guys doing sit ups in TOs driveway??

:roflmao:

The King
03-26-2009, 09:21 AM
I also have no beef with this

DrGraves
03-26-2009, 09:46 AM
1. He can't cause drama at OBD if hes not here.
2. Our trainers suck, we are always injuried. I don't want to see any good players at voluntary workouts.

Barb
03-26-2009, 09:54 AM
i dont like it when my superstar player who is new to this team, doesnt show up on dates where he could build some camraderie with his teammates, or some timing with his new QB...maybe i´m the only one who thinks its bad

justasportsfan
03-26-2009, 09:57 AM
fine with me! His personal trainer is apparently pretty good bc TO is DAMN physically fit and is 35.
I agree with this however,if it were anyone else we'd all say he's not a team player.

Pinkerton Security
03-26-2009, 10:02 AM
I agree with this however,if it were anyone else we'd all say he's not a team player.
not true. Whitner, Stroud, among others are not at these workouts either, and I dont see any articles about them not showing up, nor do I see any posts about them being selfish in any way. (other than Peters, hes just a di**.)

Jan Reimers
03-26-2009, 10:03 AM
1. He can't cause drama at OBD if hes not here.
2. Our trainers suck, we are always injuried. I don't want to see any good players at voluntary workouts.
I really can't say that many of our injuries are due to an incompetent training staff. And I don't think we have any more injuries than any of the other teams.

TonyBlack
03-26-2009, 10:09 AM
im ok with this but if he miss the mini camp then ima start worrying like anybody else.

justasportsfan
03-26-2009, 10:10 AM
not true. Whitner, Stroud, among others are not at these workouts either, and I dont see any articles about them not showing up, nor do I see any posts about them being selfish in any way. (other than Peters, hes just a di**.)

I just read negative stuff about Shobel recently not being at workouts :idunno:

I agree that TO's physical trainer is most likely better than what we got but he should be in there trying to gain chemistry with the players especially Trent who isn't exactly proven. He should be in there teaching Trent and Hardy/Steve Johnson. Anyone else who doesn't have TO's talent would be an ass.

I understand that out of desperation, our coachsold his soul to the the devil ; went against his own beliefs and is okay with it. BUt lets face it, we desperate fans are starting to follow.

Pinkerton Security
03-26-2009, 10:14 AM
im ok with this but if he miss the mini camp then ima start worrying like anybody else.

true dat.

I hope maybe Trent will go to wherever TO works out (his driveway, backyard, wherever) to get some timing with him, like he did with Evans last year.

bigbry
03-26-2009, 10:32 AM
But IF T.O. would be going to these workouts this board would be singing his praise about his true commitment to the Bills?

justasportsfan
03-26-2009, 10:36 AM
But IF T.O. would be going to these workouts this board would be singing his praise about his true commitment to the Bills?
If the fins grabbed TO and he doesn't show up at these workouts, bills fans would be laughing our asses off.

TigerJ
03-26-2009, 11:42 AM
While there would probably be some benefits in terms of team chemistry to TO's participation in the team's training program at OBD, I agree that TO has shown himself to be responsible in his training on his own. He'll be in shape when he reports. However, from his coments, it appears he also does not intend to show up for the OTAs in May. Hence, he won't be learning plays and won't be developing that non-verbal on field rapport and communication with his QB that tends to make receivers more effective. That's unfortunate.

madness
03-26-2009, 11:48 AM
If the fins grabbed TO and he doesn't show up at these workouts, bills fans would be laughing our asses off.

I'm sure Dolphin fans are laughing their asses off right now because Lee Evans didn't report also.

justasportsfan
03-26-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm sure Dolphin fans are laughing their asses off right now because Lee Evans didn't report also.
Apples and Oranges.Lee doesn't have TO's history problems with teamates that TO has. Lee, in his short carreer has been known to mentor players more so than TO.

DraftBoy
03-26-2009, 11:53 AM
I have no issue whatsoever with this.

madness
03-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Apples and Oranges.Lee doesn't have TO's history problems with teamates that TO has. Lee, in his short carreer has been known to mentor players more so than TO.

That's totally inaccurate.

justasportsfan
03-26-2009, 11:58 AM
That's totally inaccurate.

The only aticles I've read that TO taught were to a bunch of nobodies who were never a threat to TO's job at that time or in the future.

I am not against TO having his own physical workouts. BUt it would've been an adnvantage to him and the TEAM if he were present when it comes to chemistry with his co offensive players by hanging around them. I'd rather he get to know them sooner than later. Hardy would very much gain a whole lot more the more time he spends with TO than less.

gil
03-26-2009, 12:46 PM
I don't care what the guys does - if he shows up with a gimp, gets out of a clown car or dressed as the pillsbury doughboy - as long as he's on the field on sundays during the regular season.

Anybody who worries about team chemistry or whatever with TO I think is completely missing the plot.

justasportsfan
03-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Anybody who worries about team chemistry or whatever with TO I think is completely missing the plot.

what plot? That he's only here for a year to try and get a contract elsewhere?

I competely get the plot.

Thing is, he's gone after this year and it would be nice if guys like HArdy learned as much as he can from TO. If TO was a mentor , He should mentor Hardy who would eventually be a threat down the road.

billogic99
03-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Sorry, but I think TO needs to be in Buffalo right now. This isn't TO in his prime, we don't have a superstar vetran QB. They need as much time as possible together. This to me, is a big deal.

justasportsfan
03-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Sorry, but I think TO needs to be in Buffalo right now. This isn't TO in his prime, we don't have a superstar vetran QB. They need as much time as possible together. This to me, is a big deal.
I don't think it's that big of a deal for TO but it's more of a big deal for the Offensive unit if he were there.

It's not like this is TO's 2nd year with the team. He doesn't have to listen to Allaire but the team could benefit a lot with him being there in other ways.

Dick of course will say it's not important because he needs TO more than TO needs him.

Jaybird
03-26-2009, 01:15 PM

It is just a work out, no drills. Trent won't be throwing to him right now..... he doesnt need to show up

TigerJ
03-26-2009, 01:24 PM
I don't care much whether or not TO is in Buffalo in March and April. It starts to be an issue in May when he could be running routes and catching the ball from Trent. Every WR has idiosyncracies in the way they run routes and react to defenses. The more time Trent has to get used to those idiosyncracies, the better. Hardy can learn from him too, but the big issue is Trent getting used to him.

ticatfan
03-26-2009, 01:39 PM
I can't wait till half way thru the season when all of you are screaming for his head.

justasportsfan
03-26-2009, 01:45 PM
I can't wait till half way thru the season when all of you are screaming for his head.

this really could turn out to be nothing but since we haven't made playoffs in a long time, why leave some rocks unturned?

The sooner TO gets on the same page as the O unit , the better or we could see the bills doing things just to make TO happy (" forget the playcalls or routes just thorw him the ball") or else it's gonna get ugly.

Jan Reimers
03-26-2009, 01:56 PM
TO has already stated that he will be there for all of the mandatory team activities. Why don't we all relax?

bigbry
03-26-2009, 02:04 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jan Reimers
03-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Perhaps we should worry about the other 25 or so guys who were part of last year's crappy team who didn't show up, either.

Is Peters there?

mayotm
03-26-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't care what the guys does - if he shows up with a gimp, gets out of a clown car or dressed as the pillsbury doughboy - as long as he's on the field on sundays during the regular season.

Anybody who worries about team chemistry or whatever with TO I think is completely missing the plot.I'm with you except for the gimp part. I hope he doesn't show up with a gimp. They scare me.

mayotm
03-26-2009, 03:11 PM
TO has already stated that he will be there for all of the mandatory team activities. Why don't we all relax?It's more fun for all the drama queens to get all hot and bothered about everything.

TigerJ
03-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Perhaps we should worry about the other 25 or so guys who were part of last year's crappy team who didn't show up, either.

Is Peters there?

I've noticed Peters getting plenty of attention.

SABURZFAN
03-27-2009, 07:42 AM
TO has already stated that he will be there for all of the mandatory team activities. Why don't we all relax?

because the chicken littles have nothing else to squawk about. as much as i caan't stand the guy, i know he'll be ready to go when the season starts.

billogic99
03-27-2009, 12:15 PM
It is just a work out, no drills. Trent won't be throwing to him right now..... he doesnt need to show up

It's not about the workout, that's irrelevant. It's about continuity, building a rapport. We all know TO doesn't need the workout, but the more time the two have together the better it is for their production. It's better if TO get to build a realtionship with his teammates and everyone is on the same page. The more time they have together the do this the faster and stronger that relationship becomes. This is a one year shot, you need to take advantage of every second to get the most out of the very short season. Remember this isn't BB, baseball or Hockey, they only have 16 games.

justasportsfan
03-27-2009, 12:20 PM
It's not about the workout, that's irrelevant. It's about continuity, building a rapport. We all know TO doesn't need the workout, but the more time the two have together the better it is for their production. It's better if TO get to build a realtionship with his teammates and everyone is on the same page. The more time they have together the do this the faster and stronger that relationship becomes. This is a one year shot, you need to take advantage of every second to get the most out of the very short season. Remember this isn't BB, baseball or Hockey, they only have 16 games.

Some of us thought giving players days off from Club Dick didn't mean anything. It came back to haunt us.

Goobylal
03-27-2009, 12:31 PM
I'd rather TO stick to his workout regimen, that's obviously been working so well for him so far, than come to Buffalo to make a token appearance and allegedly "build chemistry" with his teammates. That will come, when they're actually out on the practice field.

HendersonD06
03-29-2009, 12:20 PM
i dont like it when my superstar player who is new to this team, doesnt show up on dates where he could build some camraderie with his teammates, or some timing with his new QB...maybe i´m the only one who thinks its bad

I agree with you 100% but the thing is...T.O will never be a team player, never. His career is just about over, yeah...he's still a solid player and has been a great player over the years but he will always be remembered as a locker room cancer and a player who will do anything to be in the spotlight, which is never a good thing when a team like the Bills are trying to move in the right direction.

Garcia couldnt stand Owens, McNabb couldnt stand the man, Romo had problems with him and believe me you...Once things dont go his way with the Bills...T.O will be T.O and talk down on Trent Edwards and cause overall problems for the team.

Bill Parcells left Dalls because of T.O...Believe that.

Good signing for the Bills but when the going gets tough...The front office along with you fans WILL regret it.

Owens knows he has a bad rep around the league...Why not just attend these workouts? Prove to everyone that your a new man and a team player, prove to everyone that you have an ounce of leadership ability in that big head of yous...but no...T.O will continue to be T.O no matter who he hurts and no matter what people say...He will NEVER change.

Goobylal
03-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Parcells left Dallas because of a) Jerry Jones and b) Tony Romo. Parcells loves guys like TO, who give their all on Sundays. Now he didn't like the idea in the beginning, but then he saw what Owens brought to the Cowboys. What he didn't like was seeing Romo acting like a rock star and then choking in the playoff game.

TO showing-up to workouts wouldn't have proven that he's changed his ways. It would have been a nice story, but it wouldn't mean a thing. But he's got several millions reasons to not be a distraction this year, because if he does, he's probably out of the NFL next year.

justasportsfan
03-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Parcells loves guys like TO, who give their all on Sundays. Now he didn't like the idea in the beginning, but then he saw what Owens brought to the Cowboys. What he didn't like was seeing Romo acting like a rock star and then choking in the playoff game.

Never heard that he opened up or warmed up to TO.

The Spaz
03-29-2009, 01:06 PM
If anyone is going to the Bulls Vs. Raptors game today look for Whitner, TO and Hardy. They are all going.

Goobylal
03-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Never heard that he opened up or warmed up to TO.
Which player have you ever heard of Parcells warming up to?

Goobylal
03-29-2009, 01:47 PM
If anyone is going to the Bulls Vs. Raptors game today look for Whitner, TO and Hardy. They are all going.
Great, TO is just starting to spread the cancer. No wait, this is a good thing. Right? I'm confused.