• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

Mauric Hicks to visit OBD

Maurice Hicks To Visit Bills
    Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 27, 2009, 6:26 p.m.

With starting running back Marshawn Lynch awaiting word on an anticipated suspension from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, the Buffalo Bills are bracing for his potential unavailability.

That’s one reason why the Bills are hosting free agent running back Maurice Hicks for a Monday visit, according to Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com

Hicks, 31, appeared in 11 games on special teams last season for the Minnesota Vikings, but wasn’t allotted playing time at running back behind NFL rushing champion Adrian Peterson and backup Chester Taylor.

According to NFL.com, Hicks has rushed for 869 career yards and six touchdowns with 55 receptions for 424 yards and one touchdown in six NFL seasons. In 2005, Hicks rushed for 308 yards and three touchdowns.

Marvez notes that the Bills went after Fred Taylor and Kevin Smith as free agents, but they opted to sign with the New England Patriots and the Chicago Bears, respectively.

The Bills are expected to primarily rely upon Fred Jackson when Lynch is sidelined due to an expected measure of league discipline stemming from his recent arrest and guilty plea on misdemeanor weapons charges in Southern California.

LINK
  • bigbub2352
    • Feb 2005

Re: Mauric Hicks to visit OBD

wow cheap cheap cheap
    foster must be asking to much
    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• jimbohastle51
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Feb 2005

foster made around 850k-950k last season with the 49ers so i would hope that the bills didnt move away from him because of money. Maurice hicks is more of a special teams guy and just so happens to be a backup RB so he fills 2 needs. and really it doesnt matter if it is deshaun foster or hicks because jackson will get all of the carries while marshawn is out, and the feeling around the league is that it will only be a 1-2 game suspension so if hicks signs, he will probably not even dress any other game besides the suspension games lynch is out for unless there is a big injury during the season.

Comment

• yordad
        • Dec 2007

We need him to replace Jenkins (who is likely to be cut due to the T.O. addition) on Special Teams.
        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Mitchell55
          only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
          • Feb 2008

I thought he died of old age.

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

Jones...it's Kevin Jones we went after, not Kevin Smith.

This wouldn't be a terrible pickup. He's not an All-star, but he is a decent receiver.
            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• streetkings01
              • Jul 2006

If the Bills dont believe that Fred Jackson can handle the load for 4 games.....then why the hell are we even talking about giving him a long term contract? Why give a RB a nice payday if you dont even believe that he can fill in for the starter full time for only 4 games?
              You can call me streetkings

Comment

• Jaybird
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloBills06
                If the Bills dont believe that Fred Jackson can handle the load for 4 games.....then why the hell are we even talking about giving him a long term contract? Why give a RB a nice payday if you dont even believe that he can fill in for the starter full time for only 4 games?
                What if he goes does down!? then what?

Comment

• venis2k1
                  Youboty can hope
                  • Jul 2002

what ever happened to Xavier Omon?? or Dwayne Wright for that matter.

Comment

• Buddo
                    • Mar 2007

It's called being careful. Guess what, injuries can happen.
                    Something that may not be immediately obvious also, is that Hicks is a very competent kick returner, who actually holds the franchise record for the 49ers when he was there.
                    While Lynch is out, it may well be the case that Hicks can support Jackson, not only in terms of running, but also take over as the backup kick/punt returner.
                    He could be a useful pick up for those duties alone, later on in the year, if McKelvin has seen a lot of action, or needs a breather.
                    I'm quite sure, that they do feel, that Jackson can carry the load, but they would be incredibly stupid, not to cover themselves, in case something untoward occurs.

Comment

• Buddo
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by venis2k1
                      what ever happened to Xavier Omon?? or Dwayne Wright for that matter.
                      Omon is still on the roster. Wright was cut last year (definitely), after more fumbles in pre season games (I think).
                      If you are looking for a guy already on the roster, to come in if Jackson was hurt while Lynch was suspended, my best bet would be Bruce Hall.
                      Actually, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Hall get a few touches along the way. The kid looked pretty sharp in his cuts in the small amount I saw of him last year, and also looked pretty quick too.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                        Pinkerton's son
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Buddo
                        Omon is still on the roster. Wright was cut last year (definitely), after more fumbles in pre season games (I think).
                        If you are looking for a guy already on the roster, to come in if Jackson was hurt while Lynch was suspended, my best bet would be Bruce Hall.
                        Actually, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Hall get a few touches along the way. The kid looked pretty sharp in his cuts in the small amount I saw of him last year, and also looked pretty quick too.
                        Omon is definitely ahead of Hall on the depth chart. I've never even seen Hall, at ALL.

Comment

• Mitchell55
                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                          Omon is definitely ahead of Hall on the depth chart. I've never even seen Hall, at ALL.

Well he is better than Omon. Omon got the place because of the premade decision of him vs wright and he won by default of fumbles.

Comment

• Mitchell55
                            • Feb 2008

You need a backup. You cant go into the season with 1 RB and no backup.

Comment

• casdhf
                              • Jul 2002

I don't think that this is a knock against Fred Jackson, I just think the offense relies so much on running backs. If Jackson is going to take the Beast role, we need those fresh legs to come off the bench and catch passes out of the backfield. We're a 2 back offense.
                              Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                              cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

Working...
                              X