PDA

View Full Version : Mauric Hicks to visit OBD

T-Long
03-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Maurice Hicks To Visit Bills
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 27, 2009, 6:26 p.m.

With starting running back Marshawn Lynch awaiting word on an anticipated suspension from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, the Buffalo Bills are bracing for his potential unavailability.

That’s one reason why the Bills are hosting free agent running back Maurice Hicks for a Monday visit, according to Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com

Hicks, 31, appeared in 11 games on special teams last season for the Minnesota Vikings, but wasn’t allotted playing time at running back behind NFL rushing champion Adrian Peterson and backup Chester Taylor.

According to NFL.com, Hicks has rushed for 869 career yards and six touchdowns with 55 receptions for 424 yards and one touchdown in six NFL seasons. In 2005, Hicks rushed for 308 yards and three touchdowns.

Marvez notes that the Bills went after Fred Taylor and Kevin Smith as free agents, but they opted to sign with the New England Patriots and the Chicago Bears, respectively.

The Bills are expected to primarily rely upon Fred Jackson when Lynch is sidelined due to an expected measure of league discipline stemming from his recent arrest and guilty plea on misdemeanor weapons charges in Southern California.

LINK (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/)

bigbub2352
03-27-2009, 07:24 PM
wow cheap cheap cheap
foster must be asking to much

jimbohastle51
03-27-2009, 08:19 PM
foster made around 850k-950k last season with the 49ers so i would hope that the bills didnt move away from him because of money. Maurice hicks is more of a special teams guy and just so happens to be a backup RB so he fills 2 needs. and really it doesnt matter if it is deshaun foster or hicks because jackson will get all of the carries while marshawn is out, and the feeling around the league is that it will only be a 1-2 game suspension so if hicks signs, he will probably not even dress any other game besides the suspension games lynch is out for unless there is a big injury during the season.

yordad
03-27-2009, 08:53 PM
We need him to replace Jenkins (who is likely to be cut due to the T.O. addition) on Special Teams.

Mitchell55
03-27-2009, 09:14 PM
I thought he died of old age.

psubills62
03-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Jones...it's Kevin Jones we went after, not Kevin Smith.

This wouldn't be a terrible pickup. He's not an All-star, but he is a decent receiver.

streetkings01
03-29-2009, 09:04 AM
If the Bills dont believe that Fred Jackson can handle the load for 4 games.....then why the hell are we even talking about giving him a long term contract? Why give a RB a nice payday if you dont even believe that he can fill in for the starter full time for only 4 games?

Jaybird
03-29-2009, 09:10 AM
If the Bills dont believe that Fred Jackson can handle the load for 4 games.....then why the hell are we even talking about giving him a long term contract? Why give a RB a nice payday if you dont even believe that he can fill in for the starter full time for only 4 games?

What if he goes does down!? then what?

venis2k1
03-29-2009, 09:17 AM
what ever happened to Xavier Omon?? or Dwayne Wright for that matter.

Buddo
03-29-2009, 09:17 AM

It's called being careful. Guess what, injuries can happen.
Something that may not be immediately obvious also, is that Hicks is a very competent kick returner, who actually holds the franchise record for the 49ers when he was there.
While Lynch is out, it may well be the case that Hicks can support Jackson, not only in terms of running, but also take over as the backup kick/punt returner.
He could be a useful pick up for those duties alone, later on in the year, if McKelvin has seen a lot of action, or needs a breather.
I'm quite sure, that they do feel, that Jackson can carry the load, but they would be incredibly stupid, not to cover themselves, in case something untoward occurs.

Buddo
03-29-2009, 09:26 AM
what ever happened to Xavier Omon?? or Dwayne Wright for that matter.

Omon is still on the roster. Wright was cut last year (definitely), after more fumbles in pre season games (I think).
If you are looking for a guy already on the roster, to come in if Jackson was hurt while Lynch was suspended, my best bet would be Bruce Hall.
Actually, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Hall get a few touches along the way. The kid looked pretty sharp in his cuts in the small amount I saw of him last year, and also looked pretty quick too.

Pinkerton Security
03-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Omon is still on the roster. Wright was cut last year (definitely), after more fumbles in pre season games (I think).
If you are looking for a guy already on the roster, to come in if Jackson was hurt while Lynch was suspended, my best bet would be Bruce Hall.
Actually, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Hall get a few touches along the way. The kid looked pretty sharp in his cuts in the small amount I saw of him last year, and also looked pretty quick too.

Omon is definitely ahead of Hall on the depth chart. I've never even seen Hall, at ALL.

Mitchell55
03-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Omon is definitely ahead of Hall on the depth chart. I've never even seen Hall, at ALL.

Well he is better than Omon. Omon got the place because of the premade decision of him vs wright and he won by default of fumbles.

Mitchell55
03-29-2009, 01:47 PM

You need a backup. You cant go into the season with 1 RB and no backup.

casdhf
03-29-2009, 03:27 PM
I don't think that this is a knock against Fred Jackson, I just think the offense relies so much on running backs. If Jackson is going to take the Beast role, we need those fresh legs to come off the bench and catch passes out of the backfield. We're a 2 back offense.

Pinkerton Security
03-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Well he is better than Omon. Omon got the place because of the premade decision of him vs wright and he won by default of fumbles.

Bruce Hall is better than Xavier Omon? you know this for a fact how, exactly?

FlyingDutchman
03-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Theres no point spending a lot of money on another running back. Lynch will miss 2 games tops

Mitchell55
03-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Bruce Hall is better than Xavier Omon? you know this for a fact how, exactly?

Basing it off preseason when they played vs the same competition and Hall did alot better.

Joe Fo Sho
03-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Basing it off preseason when they played vs the same competition and Hall did alot better.

I don't know about A LOT better, if even better at all, based on these preseason stats.

Hall - 20 Att 71 Yards, 4 Rec 43 Yards, 0 TD

Omon - 33 Att 109 Yards, 2 Rec 3 Yards, 1 TD

Omon is 3rd on the Bills Depth Chart, also...

Pinkerton Security
03-29-2009, 05:08 PM
I don't know about A LOT better, if even better at all, based on these preseason stats.

Hall - 20 Att 71 Yards, 4 Rec 43 Yards, 0 TD

Omon - 33 Att 109 Yards, 2 Rec 3 Yards, 1 TD

Omon is 3rd on the Bills Depth Chart, also...

3.55 yp carry for Hall, 3.3 ypc for Omon.

youre right mitchell, thats WAYYY better. we may as well cut Omon, we have the next Priest Holmes here!!!!

venis2k1
03-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Dont bust on the kid too hard, hes just sayin he saw somethin in Hall that he liked...nothin wrong with that....

But based on our off season visits, I think its pretty clear that Eric Studesville isn't too impressed with either of them.

seanbillsfan
03-29-2009, 07:35 PM
we dont need to bring in a f'n running back! We almost always draft a rb on the 2nd day, and bring in a number of undrafted rbs for a look which is where we got jackson. How about bringin in a lineman for a visit, any lineman at this point

Mr. Pink
03-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Hicks huh? Where's he gonna end up on the depth chart? 5th?

Great.

Ickybaluky
03-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Am I missing something?

Warrick Dunn averaged 4.2 YPC last year and had over 1,100 yards rushing and receiving combined. If you are looking for someone to provide depth while Lynch is suspended and who provides a great veteran lockerroom character, why not Dunn?

I know, he is 34. Still, he was productive for the Bucs last year, and can still catch the ball better than most backs (47 catches last year). The Bills were ready to sign Fred Taylor, another older back, so doesn't Dunn seem like a similar signing?

I'm sure Hicks provides some ST value Dunn doesn't, but I'll take Dunn 10 times over in just about every other area.

yordad
03-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Was Hicks a gunner, or what? Because if he was a gunner, that is the only reason I could see us bringing him in and not Dunn. :idunno:

venis2k1
03-29-2009, 09:19 PM
I feel that Dunn is overqualified.