PDA

View Full Version : Two OT Prospects visited OBD

Romes
03-30-2009, 12:53 AM
Alabama OT Andre Smith completed an official visit with the Buffalo Bills earlier this month, a source has told Scout.com. The 6-foot-four, 325-pound Outland Trophy winner had created some controversy when he left the NFL Scouting Combine early without telling anyone back in February. During his Pro Day workouts, reports indicated that he looked like the consistently dominating blocker that scouts had seen on film, but he http://louisianastate.scout.com/a.z?s=107&p=2&c=851656

Britton's already had private workouts for the Miami Dolphins, the Philadelphia Eagles, the Kansas City Chiefs and the Chicago Bears. And one of the teams he's already visited is the Buffalo Bills, with more scheduled.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9393852/7-Points:-Haynesworth-has-plenty-left-to-prove

or maybe they are looking at both these guys as LG prospects... :scratch:

Oh and in the first link you can also see that USC DT Fili Moala visited. Mich St. RB Javon Ringer also has visited. http://profootball.scout.com/2/851795.html

Oaf
03-30-2009, 01:06 AM
Or maybe as LT prospects? What's the consensus on Smith with you guys? Okay to take at 11?

seanbillsfan
03-30-2009, 02:47 AM
Or maybe as LT prospects? What's the consensus on Smith with you guys? Okay to take at 11?
The guy is a beast talent wise. His charactor issues are a different matter though. I guess it would all depend on who else is there at that point

Buddo
03-30-2009, 04:36 AM
Talent is not an issue with him. If he had turned up in shape at the combine, he would be being talked about, as possibly the #1 pick.
If he can demonstrate that he really wants to play football, he could easily be worth the #11.
There has to be some red flags about his 'work ethic', but if he truly does want to play some ball, then those can probably be overcome.

Don't Panic
03-30-2009, 06:17 AM
I just can't help but shake the name Mike Williams when I think about Smith.

Britton is a U of A guy, and very solid, but I never thought I'd be seeing his name at the top of the first round. I think a lot of the mocks have him late first/early second, which is probably where he belongs.

alohabillsfan
03-30-2009, 06:35 AM
Nope don't want Smith...

Luisito23
03-30-2009, 06:44 AM
We have no business taking Smith with our 1st. pick. I know that it won't happen, but the way it is around here you never really know.

don137
03-30-2009, 07:04 AM
I am very nervous with Smith...If we trade Peters and draft Smith we are replacing one character problem (money wise) with another character problem.

acehole
03-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Bill did not see witner before draft and drafted him.

Just saying

DraftBoy
03-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Moala in the 2nd Round wouldn't be a bad fit for us. Sorry to go a little off topic but I dont really think Smith or Britton are worth discussion at this point. Both are LT prospects so unless they plan to trade Peters before the draft or move him to RT then they are just doing their due diligence, imo.

TigerJ
03-30-2009, 07:20 AM
Smith would make me very nervous as the Bills pick at #11. Big time boom or bust potential.

Kenny
03-30-2009, 07:34 AM
No thanks to Andre Smith @11... He just screams out Mike Williams to me. All the talent in the world, just not the right attitude for the game.

DraftBoy
03-30-2009, 07:40 AM
I dont get the Williams-Smith comparisons imo. Smith was far more dominant in college than Williams and was a more complete prospect. Williams was the best pass protector coming out but had mental lapses in the running game. Smith is near flawless in both and right now based only on talent is the top guy without question.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-30-2009, 08:29 AM
What is that song from the Great White North? Once bitten .. twice shy.

Smith is very likely to fall through #11 overall. Talent wise he's up there worth the consideration of #1 overall. We all know that Moss story who fell all the way to #23 in his draft year.

The Bills was bitten once by Mike Williams. Most of the people associated with drafting him are still here so I think the Bills should have the firsthand knowledge of what an OT bust looks like, smells like, and talks like. I'm actually glad that they do not just turn the page and looking away from Mr. Smith period. I don't know if he's going to turn out the way like Moss or Williams. But I like the way they approach this: work hard on it beforehand.

psubills62
03-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Moala in the 2nd Round wouldn't be a bad fit for us. Sorry to go a little off topic but I dont really think Smith or Britton are worth discussion at this point. Both are LT prospects so unless they plan to trade Peters before the draft or move him to RT then they are just doing their due diligence, imo.

You don't see Smith as an RT or OG prospect at all?

I personally think these visits are just get a better profile on some of these guys. Britton is a junior, and they probably wanted to know what happened with Smith's combine and pro day.

I would imagine that with Britton, they're just exploring the possibility of him being on the board in the second round. Is he good enough value to take at that point? Not sure, especially if we still don't have a DE yet.

THATHURMANATOR
03-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Hasn't he completely falling out of the first round recently?

HAMMER
03-30-2009, 09:19 AM
No way, he is far too talented.

THATHURMANATOR
03-30-2009, 09:29 AM
No way, he is far too talented.
Just what I heard and read.

The Spaz
03-30-2009, 09:38 AM
On a lighter side Andre Smith's boobs finished a good 5 seconds before he actually did...lol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fBmLoOffQjg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fBmLoOffQjg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ddaryl
03-30-2009, 09:54 AM

you would think so but most mocks stil have him in the 1st rd with many mocks still having him gone in the upper half of the 1st rd.

hopefully we land some OL talent in the early rounds

alohabillsfan
03-30-2009, 10:32 AM
The only comparision between Williams and Smith is one is a former first round bust and the other will be a first round bust.

venis2k1
03-30-2009, 10:38 AM
I would be open to smith at 11, he has too much talent to be ignored.

DraftBoy
03-30-2009, 10:39 AM
You don't see Smith as an RT or OG prospect at all?

I personally think these visits are just get a better profile on some of these guys. Britton is a junior, and they probably wanted to know what happened with Smith's combine and pro day.

I would imagine that with Britton, they're just exploring the possibility of him being on the board in the second round. Is he good enough value to take at that point? Not sure, especially if we still don't have a DE yet.

No way would I move him off LT right after the draft. He displayed good athletic ability (in college) and great technique. He gets into a good conditioning program and bust his ass in camp and I see no reason why he shouldnt be a LT in the NFL.

DraftBoy
03-30-2009, 10:40 AM
The only comparision between Williams and Smith is one is a former first round bust and the other will be a first round bust.

Can I get this week's lotto numbers while you're at it?

justasportsfan
03-30-2009, 10:41 AM

I thought you knew it all ?

:snicker:

DraftBoy
03-30-2009, 10:43 AM
I thought you knew it all ?

:snicker:

I do Im just testing him to see if he's as good as me. Jeez try and keep up!

Mahdi
03-30-2009, 10:58 AM
http://louisianastate.scout.com/a.z?s=107&p=2&c=851656

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9393852/7-Points:-Haynesworth-has-plenty-left-to-prove

or maybe they are looking at both these guys as LG prospects... :scratch:

Oh and in the first link you can also see that USC DT Fili Moala visited. Mich St. RB Javon Ringer also has visited. http://profootball.scout.com/2/851795.html
The way I see it... If they trade with Philly for their 1st rounder and more (2nd or 3rd and 4th)... they will either select Andre Smith or Oher @ 11 or select Maybin or Brown at 11 and Britton at 21.

SABURZFAN
03-30-2009, 11:05 AM

having Smith coming in to play RT isn't a bad idea. he would start immediately if they move Walker to the G position. i'm not sure but i think he did a little time at that spot in Oakland.

Tatonka
03-30-2009, 11:12 AM
why did smith ever take his shirt off at the work out. he should have been wearing a manzeer.. or a bro.

Mahdi
03-30-2009, 11:19 AM
why did smith ever take his shirt off at the work out. he should have been wearing a manzeer.. or a bro.
He probably shouldn't have... but either way... the guy is going to be a great NFL OT, especially after a year of conditioning in an NFL program.

People keep talking about character issues. I don't see it. He left the combine without telling anyone and apologized for it, big deal.

He obviously worked hard between the combine and Pro Day cause he lost like 15-20 pounds. He will be gone before the Bills pick anyway.

alohabillsfan
03-30-2009, 11:21 AM

2-3-16-41-48

alohabillsfan
03-30-2009, 11:23 AM
I do Im just testing him to see if he's as good as me. Jeez try and keep up!

P.S I am not as good as you... I am much better!:scooter:

FlyingDutchman
03-30-2009, 11:28 AM
With the Bills and Peters 3 mil apart, and seeing all the crap that happend last year, you gotta figure that the bills are getting very serious to field offers for Peters before draft day.

Sorry guys, but the Williams-Smith comparisons have to go. Williams couldnt carry Smiths jock strap. Smith has dominated in the SEC since he was a freshman. He has more awards than I can name while anchoring the Alabama offense. Look what happend when he missed the last game against freakin Utah, Alabama couldnt move the ball. This guy would probably be the top pick in the draft if it wasnt for the problems.

As for the problems, it just seems like immaturity. Hes a very young kid. He made a mistake. Hes not at clubs hitting woman. You guys didnt make dumb decisions in your early 20s? you learn from those mistakes and you become a better person. The Bills had to bring him in to form their own decision on him.

So if the situation presents itself to rid of Peters, we just might have to do it. Wouldnt be so bad to take Smith with the 11th pick, get a starting LT for years at a cheaper price then Peters. Then grab Pettigrew with a second 1st round pick. THen with our 2nd get a center like Unger or maybe a LB. We would likely have two 3rd round picks where we could continue to plug holes.

Mahdi
03-30-2009, 11:43 AM
With the Bills and Peters 3 mil apart, and seeing all the crap that happend last year, you gotta figure that the bills are getting very serious to field offers for Peters before draft day.

Sorry guys, but the Williams-Smith comparisons have to go. Williams couldnt carrie Smiths jock strap. Smith has dominated in the SEC since he was a freshman. He has more awards than I can name while anchoring the Alabama offense. Look what happend when he missed the last game against freakin Utah, Alabama couldnt move the ball. This guy would probably be the top pick in the draft if it wasnt for the problems.

As for the problems, it just seems like immaturity. Hes a very young kid. He made a mistake. Hes not at clubs hitting woman. You guys didnt make dumb decisions in your early 20s? you learn from those mistakes and you become a better person. The Bills had to bring him in to form their own decision on him.

So if the situation presents itself to rid of Peters, we just might have to do it. Wouldnt be so bad to take Smith with the 11th pick, get a starting LT for years at a cheaper price then Peters. Then grab Pettigrew with a second 1st round pick. THen with our 2nd get a center like Unger or maybe a LB. We would likely have two 3rd round picks where we could continue to plug holes.
In that scenario Kelsay is watching Brady throw another 5 TDs on us and Schobel is trying real hard to stop him.

FlyingDutchman
03-30-2009, 11:54 AM
In that scenario Kelsay is watching Brady throw another 5 TDs on us and Schobel is trying real hard to stop him.

i get your point, but at least you can name starters at DE. God knows what will happen with Peters. We have no starter at TE, no starter at center and no starter at OLB. A defensive end brought in with the first pick would probably be only situational pass rusher or would be rotated. Ive been really starting to think lately that we might not go DE with the first pick after all.

Mahdi
03-30-2009, 12:05 PM
i get your point, but at least you can name starters at DE. God knows what will happen with Peters. We have no starter at TE, no starter at center and no starter at OLB. A defensive end brought in with the first pick would probably be only situational pass rusher or would be rotated. Ive been really starting to think lately that we might not go DE with the first pick after all.
Well, for me, if yer taking a OT at #11, then you gotta be taking a pass rusher at either 21 or 44.

I dont agree with OT, TE, LB/OG.

In your scenario I would go Smith (11), Michael Johnson (21 -Philly), Jared Cook (44), Antoine Caldwell (77).

For the record though, I hate the idea of trading Peters. Sign him and lets use our own picks to improve the rest of our team. I would rather have Peters, Maybin and Cook than Smith, Johnson and Cook.

FlyingDutchman
03-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Well, for me, if yer taking a OT at #11, then you gotta be taking a pass rusher at either 21 or 44.

I dont agree with OT, TE, LB/OG.

In your scenario I would go Smith (11), Michael Johnson (21 -Philly), Jared Cook (44), Antoine Caldwell (77).

For the record though, I hate the idea of trading Peters. Sign him and lets use our own picks to improve the rest of our team. I would rather have Peters, Maybin and Cook than Smith, Johnson and Cook.

That would be a good one also. Maybe a Maybin or Cushing if they were there also. Im the same with Peters, Id love to see him in a Bills uni but its not looking very promising. I think Buffalo has 3 weeks to get a deal done or he'll be gone before the draft

Mahdi
03-30-2009, 01:27 PM
That would be a good one also. Maybe a Maybin or Cushing if they were there also. Im the same with Peters, Id love to see him in a Bills uni but its not looking very promising. I think Buffalo has 3 weeks to get a deal done or he'll be gone before the draft
The other option with Peters if they cant strike a deal is to hold onto him for the next 2 seasons at his current contract then franchise him.

FlyingDutchman
03-31-2009, 05:42 PM
For those who have never seen Andre Smith play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md-EZ6TOWyw

FlyingDutchman
03-31-2009, 05:44 PM
keep in mind these are SEC defenses. Check out the Georgia game. absolutely dominant

FlyingDutchman
03-31-2009, 05:50 PM
His pass coverage is unbelievable. If we can trade Peters for a 1st and a 3rd and get rid of his headache issues. Im all for it. Smith will be a rock at LT in the NFL for years