PDA

View Full Version : Free agent targets???

Jaybird
03-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Bills to add veterans for depth?
With a need at guard, the Buffalo Bills might take a look at former Pittsburgh Steelers guard Kendall Simmons, according to Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News. Gaughan also notes that former Bills safety Lawyer Milloy, who spent 2008 with the Atlanta Falcons, is still a free agent thus far.
After releasing 2008 starting left guard Derrick Dockery, who was subsequently picked up by the Washington Redskins, the Bills are expected to give Kirk Chambers the first shot to be the starter at the position in 2009. Simmons, who injured his Achilles tendon in a game against the Baltimore Ravens in September, would likely only be signed if the Bills' medical staff determined that he could be productive after such a devastating injury.

In Milloy, the Bills would be adding a depth defensive back, not a source of big plays per se, but a player that has had 90 or more tackles the past three season with the Falcons, and who made 271 tackles for the Bills over the course of three seasons from 2003 to 2005. Milloy would likely not command a huge salary and could provide strong leadership for a young Bills secondary.

bigbub2352
03-30-2009, 12:34 PM
No thanks at all to Milloy but Simmons would be solid if healthy he is exaclty what we need to help the young Oline on the team and any draft picks we bring in, plus if healthy he is an excellent G

OpIv37
03-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Where the hell are they getting this info? Chris Brown already stated that Chambers is a T, not a G, and we all know about his relationship with the team- he wouldn't have said it if someone didn't tell him to.

On top of that, even if Chambers can start at G, it gives us literally ZERO depth on the OL. While I don't think Chambers is starting material, he proved last year that he's decent depth.

patmoran2006
03-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Where the hell are they getting this info? Chris Brown already stated that Chambers is a T, not a G, and we all know about his relationship with the team- he wouldn't have said it if someone didn't tell him to.

On top of that, even if Chambers can start at G, it gives us literally ZERO depth on the OL. While I don't think Chambers is starting material, he proved last year that he's decent depth.
Believe it or not, I think Gaughn is far more knowledgable of the Bills and actually has more sources than CHris Brown, regardless if Brown works for the Bills or not.

Gaughn is pretty convinced that Kirk Chambers goes into camp as the starter at left guard.

THATHURMANATOR
03-30-2009, 01:19 PM
I will puke if Chambers is starting at guard. I would rather address the position in the draft.

tampabay25690
03-30-2009, 01:27 PM
I will puke if Chambers is starting at guard. I would rather address the position in the draft.

Why would u puke.....
He played better then our ALL PRO Left tackle last year, the guy will only get better.......

Mahdi
03-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Why would u puke.....
He played better then our ALL PRO Left tackle last year, the guy will only get better.......
Right... of course he did.

If you watch a lowlight tape of Peters and the sacks he allowed early in the year then that would explain your statement. How bout you watch the rest of the snaps before you make a statement like that though. O and also watch each of the sacks he allowed and tell me if Peters is at fault for all of them.

In our division after playing 16 full games, Chambers would allow at least 20 sacks. He doesn't have the ability to play with Adalius Thomas, Joey Porter and Calvin Pace.

madness
03-30-2009, 02:01 PM
The answer is Kirk's play is somewhere between tampa's and Mahdi's viewpoints. His play last year definitely warrants giving him a shot but it's highly unlikely he'll develop into a PB RG.

It has been mentioned before that Chambers will get a shot at RG but I'm sure there will be some competition by either a rookie or a vet like Simmons.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Words out of Pittsburgh is that the Steelers have serious concern about Simmons Achilles tendon. They don't think he can regain the the speed he had.

And it's kind of strange that for a former pro like him, no one has knocked on his door save for the Bills so far.

Oaf
03-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Why? He's only played well when put in the game. In contrast, take a look at Kelsay and to a large extent, Ellison. Like I've said before, I am MUCH more comfortable with Fine and Chambers, esp w/ TO in the fold, than I am with our DEs and Ellison.

psubills62
03-30-2009, 02:50 PM

Well, not quite literally zero, since Bell is still around (plus a couple of practice squad guys), but I get your point. They've talked to a lot of OG's (e.g. Johnson, Robinson) and OT's (Britton, Smith) in the draft, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them stock up on the O-line come late April.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if 3 or more picks went towards OT and OG, with a couple more UDFA's brought in too. Especially if a deal with Peters isn't close to being done at that point.

THATHURMANATOR
03-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Why would u puke.....
Don't remember Chambers ever playing guard.

ANNNDD another point many of you don't seem to get is Chambers is not a young guy he is 30

THATHURMANATOR
03-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Why? He's only played well when put in the game. In contrast, take a look at Kelsay and to a large extent, Ellison. Like I've said before, I am MUCH more comfortable with Fine and Chambers, esp w/ TO in the fold, than I am with our DEs and Ellison.
When did the dude EVER play guard??? Am I missing something?

ddaryl
03-30-2009, 03:06 PM
we are definitley drafting some OL help so people need to stop panicing about Chambers

and I am interested in seeing what Bell can do... but it is guarenteed that the Bills are bringing in some OL this draft. They purposely cleaned house this offseason, and this years draft is deep at OL

my only concern is they won't put a high enough priortiy on it to get some of the top talent in rounds 1 or 2.

OpIv37
03-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Believe it or not, I think Gaughn is far more knowledgable of the Bills and actually has more sources than CHris Brown, regardless if Brown works for the Bills or not.

Gaughn is pretty convinced that Kirk Chambers goes into camp as the starter at left guard.

fair enough- what does he have to say about what the Bills are going to do for depth? As psu pointed out, all we have is the very raw Bell and some practice squad schmoes.

justasportsfan
03-30-2009, 03:17 PM
If they are going to go by the bills way of thinking, we won't be taking OL players til the late rounds

Night Train
03-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Milloy runs a 6.5 40. He's done as a player but will probably be a good coach.

Regardless of the names, we need a Guard. Don't even try & sell me Chambers, who is a good backup OT.

Get a real Guard.

THATHURMANATOR
03-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Milloy runs a 6.5 40. He's done as a player but will probably be a good coach.

Regardless of the names, we need a Guard. Don't even try & sell me Chambers, who is a good backup OT.

Get a real Guard.
:bf1:

ddaryl
03-30-2009, 03:51 PM
If they are going to go by the bills way of thinking, we won't be taking OL players til the late rounds

and that is a direct corellation with the amount of playoff appearances we have had over the last 10 years.

I believe Mike Williams was the only 1st day OL the Bills have taken in over a decade, they whiffed on that one, but to not have taken OL in 1st 2 rds but once in 10 years is THE #1 reason why this team remains inept

theanswer74
03-30-2009, 03:53 PM

Get a real Guard.
Everyone here should watch Chambers starting at RG against NE week 10. I did, other than one bad play he was very good. He and Walker worked very well together.

Another reason to watch, Derrick Dockery and Duke Preston were terrible. Dockery and Peters did not work well together at all and NE exploited that all game. Dockery couldnt pick up any blitz or stunt thrown at him.

Duke Preston was a joke.

So if you want to feel good about releasing Dockery and Chambers moving to OG, then watch week 10 against NE.