PDA

View Full Version : Biggest QB Flops

The King
03-30-2009, 04:26 PM
http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/24/nfl-draft-quarterbacks-business-sports-hype_slide_4.html?thisSpeed=15000

Guess who made the list?

FlyingDutchman
03-30-2009, 04:28 PM
saw that coming. he deserves to be there considering he went from being a first round pick, to likely out of the league in one contract

The King
03-30-2009, 04:28 PM
although Vick, Pamler and Young are on there too... thats kinda dumb

Night Train
03-30-2009, 04:33 PM
and Richie Lucas, and Dennis Shaw,

Hell, the Bills probably have 3-4 first round flops at most every position in their history.

The Spaz
03-30-2009, 04:37 PM
and Richie Lucas, and Dennis Shaw,

Hell, the Bills probably have 3-4 first round flops at most every position in their history.

No worse than the Jets though...lol

Jaybird
03-30-2009, 04:54 PM
It is based on money... not on talent.... I could named 10 guys over losman who stank and were top 5 picks

Crisis
03-30-2009, 04:55 PM
carson palmer? what?

ParanoidAndroid
03-30-2009, 05:01 PM
No Ryan Leaf, but Carson Palmer is on there? Dumb. Too early for Young, Vick is hardly a flop, and Palmer is possibly still a top 10 talent at QB.

trapezeus
03-30-2009, 05:14 PM
losman ranks up there. look at how many picks the bills moved to get him and that he didn't have a single winning season with us. this of course will trigger the usually debate about how bad he is vs did coaches mess him up.

but just in terms of how much the bills gave up for him, his lack of impact (whether it was his own doing or coaches) hampered the bills big time. and hence why he deservedly should be on this list.

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Carson Palmer is just asinine. Whoever wrote this piece lost credibility by using that one. Um, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, anybody???? Hell, even Rick Mirer

FlyingDutchman
03-30-2009, 05:40 PM
The only 2 QBs to ever come from Tulane were busts? say it aint so

The Jokeman
03-30-2009, 06:28 PM
The only 2 QBs to ever come from Tulane were busts? say it aint so
There was a QB from Tulane who did pretty good a few years ago in Tampa by the name of Sean King.

DraftBoy
03-30-2009, 06:33 PM
How about Rob Johnson? We gave up a 1st and 3rd for him and he was a huge flop!

cocamide
03-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Wow, Tom Van Riper really knows his football. /sarcasm
Someone should kick him square in the nuts.

DrGraves
03-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Bills QB's since Kelly:

Todd Collins
Alex Van Pelt
Kelly Holcomb
Rob Johnson
Doug Flutie
Drew Bledsoe
JP Losman

What a horrible horrible list (minus a few flashes of brilliance from dougy)

I want to throw up really.

OpIv37
03-30-2009, 08:24 PM
I will only say one thing in Losman's defense:

It's mostly Tom Donahoe's fault. NO ONE thought Losman was worthy of that high of a pick except TD.

Losman still would have sucked if he went in the 2nd round like he should have, but no one would remember. Donahoe is a ****ing tool.

THATHURMANATOR
03-30-2009, 08:43 PM
This list is HORRIBLE.

DynaPaul
03-30-2009, 09:11 PM
That list sucks. There are so many bigger flops out there that the person didn't even include (Ryan Leaf should have been number 1). Whoever wrote that didn't do much research.

SABURZFAN
03-31-2009, 06:06 AM
http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/24/nfl-draft-quarterbacks-business-sports-hype_slide_4.html?thisSpeed=15000

Guess who made the list?

i'm not surprised. i've been trying to tell these idiots that for the last 3 years.

Jan Reimers
03-31-2009, 07:21 AM
JP is listed as 5-11 as a starter. Nice research.

streetkings01
03-31-2009, 07:49 AM
JP is listed as 5-11 as a starter. Nice research.Same thing I was looking at! He's actually 10-23 as a starter with some of the most embarrassing losses in that span as well! He's also 12-25 in games in which he finished as the #1 QB.

People can say all they want about wins and losses are a team stat, but look at the starting QBs in Buffalo since Losman was drafted by us.....

2004 - Bledsoe...9-7 as a starter
2005 - Holcomb...4-4 as a starter
2007 - Edwards...5-4 as a starter
2008 - Edwards...7-7 as a starter

Every QB besides Losman has been able to keep this team at .500 or better.

HHURRICANE
03-31-2009, 08:25 AM
I will only say one thing in Losman's defense:

It's mostly Tom Donahoe's fault. NO ONE thought Losman was worthy of that high of a pick except TD.

Losman still would have sucked if he went in the 2nd round like he should have, but no one would remember. Donahoe is a ****ing tool.

The Packers were going to take him in the first round.

Philagape
03-31-2009, 08:36 AM

Boy, are they breathing a sigh of relief! I think they should thank us with draft picks

OpIv37
03-31-2009, 08:41 AM

Well don't forget that TD actually traded UP to get him, which shows how much TD overvalued him.

On top of that, had JP gone to the Packers, he would have been Aaron Rodgers and he would have started for the first time last year. Packers fans would be making the same excuses for him that we were 2 or 3 years ago, and we'd just now be finding out that he sucks.

Either way, he wouldn't be on that list. At least not yet.

yordad
03-31-2009, 08:42 AM
Boy, are they breathing a sigh of relief! I think they should thank us with draft picksI think JP is the one that lost in that deal. I'm pretty sure he would have come out smelling like roses had he had the opportunity to ride the pine behind Farve for a few years while in an organization that knows what the heck they are doing. An organization that has playmakers at WR.

justasportsfan
03-31-2009, 08:50 AM
Packers fans would be making the same excuses for him that we were 2 or 3 years ago, and we'd just now be finding out that he sucks.

we don't know that. He'd have a better coaching staff than what he and Trent had here all these years. He'd also have Bret in front of him instead of Drew and Holcomb. He wouldn't have been switching from one crappy offensive system to another.

Philagape
03-31-2009, 08:56 AM
I think JP is the one that lost in that deal. I'm pretty sure he would have come out smelling like roses had he had the opportunity to ride the pine behind Farve for a few years while in an organization that knows what the heck they are doing. An organization that has playmakers at WR.

I respectfully disagree!!!

djjimkelly
03-31-2009, 09:39 AM
as soon as i saw carson palmer on this list i decided to close the window. this list is a joke

djjimkelly
03-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Same thing I was looking at! He's actually 10-23 as a starter with some of the most embarrassing losses in that span as well! He's also 12-25 in games in which he finished as the #1 QB.

People can say all they want about wins and losses are a team stat, but look at the starting QBs in Buffalo since Losman was drafted by us.....

2004 - Bledsoe...9-7 as a starter
2005 - Holcomb...4-4 as a starter
2007 - Edwards...5-4 as a starter
2008 - Edwards...7-7 as a starter

Every QB besides Losman has been able to keep this team at .500 or better.

he has started more then 16 games the stat isnt even correct

djjimkelly
03-31-2009, 09:41 AM
hes gone so who cares lets worry about the other flop we have as starter now

OpIv37
03-31-2009, 09:44 AM
we don't know that. He'd have a better coaching staff than what he and Trent had here all these years. He'd also have Bret in front of him instead of Drew and Holcomb. He wouldn't have been switching from one crappy offensive system to another.

I don't entirely disagree- no doubt our coaching staff sucks at developing players, and JP did get burned by having to switch systems several times. I think he would have been better if he had been developed properly, and he probably would have been in GB.

At the same time, I think his ceiling is pretty low. He just doesn't have the head to play the QB position, and he lacks the soft touch. If he was nurtured right he might have been a "caretaker" starter, but I don't think he'd ever finish in the top half of the league in stats. He's got the wheels and the cannon arm but he lacks everything else- pocket presence, internal clock, decision making, touch.

streetkings01
03-31-2009, 10:08 AM
he has started more then 16 games the stat isnt even correctI know.

madness
03-31-2009, 10:37 AM
JP is who he is. Plain and simple. Teams get so caught up in drafting QB's with above average physical skills and arm strength, they neglect the things that really matter like the intangibles, accuracy and the ability to make quick reads.

Yahoo put out an excellent article on the subject. They also break down the list of 1st rounders between 97-04 who couldn't complete at least 60% of their passes in college. They also compare the top three QB's in this year's draft.

Jim Druckenmiller, Virginia Tech (Completion percentage: 54 percent)

Ryan Leaf, Washington State (Completion percentage: 55 percent)

Akili Smith, Oregon (Completion percentage: 58 percent)
Cade McNown, UCLA (Completion percentage: 58 percent)

Michael Vick, Virginia Tech (Completion percentage: 54 percent)

Joey Harrington, Oregon (Completion percentage: 59 percent)
Patrick Ramsey, Tulane (Completion percentage: 57 percent

Kyle Boller, California (Completion percentage: 53 percent)
Rex Grossman, Florida (Completion percentage: 57 percent)

J.P. Losman, Tulane (Completion percentage: 59 percent)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ap.oZfn5oJX6NLSuCCcEwzpDubYF?slug=ys-qbcompletionpercentages032609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

justasportsfan
03-31-2009, 10:38 AM
I don't entirely disagree- no doubt our coaching staff sucks at developing players, and JP did get burned by having to switch systems several times. I think he would have been better if he had been developed properly, and he probably would have been in GB.

At the same time, I think his ceiling is pretty low. He just doesn't have the head to play the QB position, and he lacks the soft touch. If he was nurtured right he might have been a "caretaker" starter, but I don't think he'd ever finish in the top half of the league in stats. He's got the wheels and the cannon arm but he lacks everything else- pocket presence, internal clock, decision making, touch.

Trent looks just as stupid out there as JP despite Trents so called intelligence. Every player on this team deserves the benefit of the doubt. I am not gonna play Ms. Cleo as to how JP could've turned out if the packers drafted him. He would've been in a very different circumstance.

FYI, not even Trent has achieved what JP did in 06 despite the circumstances. To say that JP doesn't have it means Trent doesn't have it either , so far. We shall see this year if he does better with more weapons. We can play this woulda/coulda, thing all day but we really won't know because there are no facts.

Aaron Rodgers and Eli were almost in the same situation except Aaron learned from the bench. But they had good coaches and stayed in the same system. As a matter of fact, some of the people here that are blasting JP called Eli a bust in his first 2 years.

Philagape
03-31-2009, 10:44 AM
JP is who he is. Plain and simple. Teams get so caught up in drafting QB's with above average physical skills and arm strength, they neglect the things that really matter like the intangibles, accuracy and the ability to make quick reads.

Yahoo put out an excellent article on the subject. They also break down the list of 1st rounders between 97-04 who couldn't complete at least 60% of their passes in college. They also compare the top three QB's in this year's draft.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ap.oZfn5oJX6NLSuCCcEwzpDubYF?slug=ys-qbcompletionpercentages032609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Wow, great find, not only for its correlation, but also for how it breaks down what QBs actually do, and need to do, and what they're responsible for.

Quarterback success is all about decision making, accuracy and timing in the pass game. :bf1:

justasportsfan
03-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Jim Kelly 60.1 percentage

Robosack had the higest completion percentage in bills history.

Throne Logic
03-31-2009, 10:52 AM

Wow. That's one heck of an interesting list. Sure makes me want to look closer at that particular stat. What was Edwards' completion percent?

TacklingDummy
03-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Jim Kelly 60.1 percentage

Robosack had the higest completion percentage in bills history. College knucklehead.

TacklingDummy
03-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Wow. That's one heck of an interesting list. Sure makes me want to look closer at that particular stat. What was Edwards' completion percent?

2006: 60.3
2005: 62.7
2004: 54.4

justasportsfan
03-31-2009, 11:10 AM
College knucklehead.
I understand that completely but it has nothiing to do with how they perform in NFL. Van Plet trumps all the great qb's in the league. He broke several of Marinos college record.

Philagape
03-31-2009, 11:54 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=137101

Ingtar33
03-31-2009, 12:47 PM
read the article.

it's top flops in the last 10 years.

Palmer... is questionable. but other then Palmer.. the rest on that list probably should be there. (Palmer was on my "absolutely do not draft in round 1 list the year he came out... i blew that eval... he's been far better a pro QB then i thought he'd be... but Im not sure he's a success yet, K.Collins and Brad Johnson both had better starts on par with or better then Palmer has, and neither had the receiving talent he has had to work with).

The completion percentage isn't the end all be all of QB stats.

But Kyle Boller's was why i had him evaluated so low. Except for his senior year (which i think he had a 53%.. or a 51% i don't remember), he never broke 50% completions. A couple of numbers i always kept an eye on were historic completion percentage and number of starts.

Any QB with less then 20 college starts went down 1 round on my list automatically. Any college QB with 30+ starts got bumped a round over their talent. Generally i never felt safe with a QB with less then 25 starts...

SABURZFAN
03-31-2009, 01:09 PM
JP is listed as 5-11 as a starter. Nice research.

that's actually a better winning percentage than his REAL winning percentage as a starter.

User Manuel
03-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Andre Ware should win this hands down.

ServoBillieves
03-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Retarted that Vince Young and Carson Palmer are on that list.

Carson can't help that the Bengals have virtually no defense.

Mski
03-31-2009, 05:43 PM
im ready to put Vince Young up there with Ryan Leaf... i think his days as a QB are done... fortunately for him, he his enough of an amazing athlete to be able to change positions and remain in the NFL