PDA

View Full Version : Bills meet with DE Lawrence Sidbury

DraftBoy
03-30-2009, 07:50 PM
DD.com contributor Josh Buchanan reports ex-Richmond defensive end Lawrence Sidbury had a visit with the Buffalo Bills. He will visit Tennessee, Philadelphia, Dallas, St. Louis, Baltimore, New England in the coming weeks.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sidburyjr_lawrence00.html

Stats:
2008-56 Tackles, 20 TFL , 11.5 Sacks, 4 QBH, 3 FF, 2 PD
2007-DID NOT PLAY
2006-17 Tackles, 5.5 TFL, 1 Sack
2005-24 Tackles, 4 TFL, 3 Sacks, 1 PD

The Spaz
03-30-2009, 08:00 PM
No earlier than the 3rd rd.

Bmax
03-30-2009, 08:09 PM
This would be a good pick up for the Bills....

Bmax

WeAreArthurMoates
03-30-2009, 08:13 PM
I'd love the pick-up, raw kid with athleticism and talent.

BillsWin
03-30-2009, 08:20 PM
hmmmmm...

Romes
03-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Anyone else notice that we've been inviting DE's graded in the 2nd/3rd round?

Mahdi
03-30-2009, 08:28 PM
DD.com contributor Josh Buchanan reports ex-Richmond defensive end Lawrence Sidbury had a visit with the Buffalo Bills. He will visit Tennessee, Philadelphia, Dallas, St. Louis, Baltimore, New England in the coming weeks.

Stats:
2007-DID NOT PLAY
I'll take him in the 2nd round after selecting Ayers at 11.

DraftBoy
03-30-2009, 08:34 PM
I'll take him in the 2nd round after selecting Ayers at 11.

If we take Ayers at 11 I can almost guarantee we won't take Sidbury in the 2nd.

Jaybird
03-30-2009, 09:20 PM
big fan of this guy..... i have a feeling he will be productive in the nfl

Tatonka
03-30-2009, 10:04 PM
looks like a one year wonder. why didnt he play in 2007?

The Spaz
03-30-2009, 10:13 PM
looks like a one year wonder. why didnt he play in 2007?

He did. He had 4.5 sacks in 07.

The Spaz
03-30-2009, 10:18 PM
I like this guy. He's not that tall but he has 35 inch arms and can run with a 4.5 40 yard dash.

justasportsfan
03-30-2009, 11:16 PM
I doubt we're drafting guys like this who are projects when we already have Ellis. If we're gonna draft one , most likely in the first otherwise they'll be sitting behind Kelsay, Denney, Ellis.

jamze132
03-31-2009, 12:05 AM
I don't know anything about this guy except for that I never heard of him.

Luisito23
03-31-2009, 04:31 AM
Please no more projects!

Romes
03-31-2009, 04:39 AM
Please no more projects!

every draftee is a project.

just sayin...

Luisito23
03-31-2009, 04:55 AM
:whistling

X-Era
03-31-2009, 06:02 AM

Stats:
2007-DID NOT PLAY

To me, he has a Simeon Rice like build...

Id love to land this guy in the 2nd.

BTW, Im growing more fond of the Cushing thought... although I would prefer Rey at 11 with moving Poz outside.

Buckets
03-31-2009, 06:52 AM
2007: First Team All-CAA Football... VaSID All-State First Team... Finished second on the team and 15th in the conference in sacks (5.0), while his 8.5 tackles for loss was third on the squad... Played a key role on the defensive line that limited opponents to just 152.5 yards rushing per game... Played and started in 13 games... Missed all of the Appalachian State game and much of the Wofford game with an ankle injury... The opposition rushed for just 130 yards per game with Sidbury on the field... Recorded a season-high six tackles in back-to-back wins over Villanova and Delaware... Was in on five tackles, a sack and forced a fumble in the win over Eastern Kentucky in the NCAA First Round, helping the Spiders limit the ninth-ranked Colonels to just 54 yards rushing.

Mahdi
03-31-2009, 07:09 AM
If we take Ayers at 11 I can almost guarantee we won't take Sidbury in the 2nd.
If this FO is really smart they will. This DL needs a makeover. Forget about loyalties for once (FO that is).

Or how how bout trading down to 21 with Philly for a second rounder. Draft Jarron Gilbert at 21, Sidbury at 42 and Ingram at 60.

Mahdi
03-31-2009, 07:12 AM
I don't know anything about this guy except for that I never heard of him.
The difference between Sidbury and Everette Brown is FSU and Richmond. They are both undersized, talented pass rushers with virtually the same skills.

Tatonka
03-31-2009, 07:13 AM
He did. He had 4.5 sacks in 07.
2007-DID NOT PLAY

DraftBoy
03-31-2009, 07:36 AM
2007-DID NOT PLAY

According to NCAA.org Stats Site he didnt, but they have been known to miss things in the past as well. I use them because they are the only official stat site, everywhere else is unconfirmed.

DraftBoy
03-31-2009, 07:38 AM
The difference between Sidbury and Everette Brown is FSU and Richmond. They are both undersized, talented pass rushers with virtually the same skills.

Sibury is upwards of 265, Brown played close to 250...

Sibury is a 4-3 DE, Brown is a 3-4 OLB. Sidbury isnt really undersized, and I like his upside more as a hand down defender.

Mahdi
03-31-2009, 08:08 AM
Sibury is upwards of 265, Brown played close to 250...

Sibury is a 4-3 DE, Brown is a 3-4 OLB. Sidbury isnt really undersized, and I like his upside more as a hand down defender.
Brown isn't a 3-4 OLB. He CAN be a 3-4 OLB. Currently he is a DE. Maybe in your opinion he is a OLB though.

Even with Sidbury being 266 they are still both speed rushers. Whether or not you believe Brown can play with his hand in the ground is speculation.

As of right now they are both speed rushers though, one being 10 pounds heavier.

Thanks for the clarification though, I didnt realize Sid was 266. Thought he was lighter.

DraftBoy
03-31-2009, 08:25 AM
Brown isn't a 3-4 OLB. He CAN be a 3-4 OLB. Currently he is a DE. Maybe in your opinion he is a OLB though.

Even with Sidbury being 266 they are still both speed rushers. Whether or not you believe Brown can play with his hand in the ground is speculation.

As of right now they are both speed rushers though, one being 10 pounds heavier.

Thanks for the clarification though, I didnt realize Sid was 266. Thought he was lighter.

Since it is my post and that is what I believe (along with just about every other professional draft analyst) that is how I will continue to refer to him. I have stated before I do not in any way see Brown as a DE in this class. Neither he nor Maybin.

TigerJ
03-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Sidbury has a little better speed than Brown and he's a little taller. Brown came from a bigger school, a bigger football program, though it's still not the SEC or Pac-10.

Sidbury will be a project. I don't think Buffalo will seriously entertain drafting him unless they are convinced that either he or Chris Ellis will be ready to step in and play a fairly significant role, or they've given up on Ellis and want to develop Sidbury in his stead. While Dennelsay has been distinctly mediocre, at least they are a known quantity, and Ellis was not ready to take the field last season. The Bills won't ditch a known qquantity, even a mediocre one without being reasonably certain they have something to replace it.

Saratoga Slim
03-31-2009, 09:10 AM
Sidbury has a little better speed than Brown and he's a little taller. Brown came from a bigger school, a bigger football program, though it's still not the SEC or Pac-10.

Sidbury will be a project. I don't think Buffalo will seriously entertain drafting him unless they are convinced that either he or Chris Ellis will be ready to step in and play a fairly significant role, or they've given up on Ellis and want to develop Sidbury in his stead. While Dennelsay has been distinctly mediocre, at least they are a known quantity, and Ellis was not ready to take the field last season. The Bills won't ditch a known qquantity, even a mediocre one without being reasonably certain they have something to replace it.

Not in rounds 1 or 2 anyway. I think we'll be counting on those rounds for starters. But I could see it subsequently.

The Spaz
03-31-2009, 09:19 AM
2007-DID NOT PLAY

If you go off that site but if you just google his name there are plenty others that say different. Also I have 3 draft guides that say he played as well and he had 4.5 sacks and was All-CAA that year.

Mahdi
03-31-2009, 09:38 AM
Since it is my post and that is what I believe (along with just about every other professional draft analyst) that is how I will continue to refer to him. I have stated before I do not in any way see Brown as a DE in this class. Neither he nor Maybin.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80f7a9fe&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Kirwan had management and scouting experience in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80f4002b&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Charles Davis. NFL analyst.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80f11fb9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Steve Wyche. NFL Analyst.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/columns/story?id=3972427&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fdraft09%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fid%3d3972427

McShay. Brown again.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfldraftscout-RobRang

Rob Rang Senior Analyst, CBS. Brown Again.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/10644150

Pete Prisco. Maybin

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/10706885

Clark Judge. Maybin.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/03/12/mock2/index.html

Don Banks, SI.com -- Maybin.

http://profootball.scout.com/2/843375.html

Fox/Scout.com -- Brown.

Thats pretty much the top analysts and they all seem to think that Brown or Maybin are logical picks for the Bills or another 4-3 team.

Who are these analysts that share your strict view of Brown and Maybin?

DraftBoy
03-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Mayock, Coyle, Kiper, McShay has called both numerous times 3-4 OLB prospects. Only difference is that I don't flip flop on him. I believe Brown to be the best 3-4 OLB prospect in this draft.

patmoran2006
03-31-2009, 10:17 AM
I doubt we're drafting guys like this who are projects when we already have Ellis. If we're gonna draft one , most likely in the first otherwise they'll be sitting behind Kelsay, Denney, Ellis.
well said- though you forgot Schobel too

Mahdi
03-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Mayock, Coyle, Kiper, McShay has called both numerous times 3-4 OLB prospects. Only difference is that I don't flip flop on him. I believe Brown to be the best 3-4 OLB prospect in this draft.
Yes, you see they call him a 3-4 OLB prospect but they also feel he is still a 4-3 DE, Mcshay has Brown going to the BILLS. If the draft didn't have so many 3-4 teams picking in the top 10 there wouldn't be so much 3-4 OLB talk surrounding Brown, Maybin and Rak. But since GB, CLE, SF, KC, and Denver at 12 are all 3-4 teams then they are simply putting 2 and 2 together.

I have shown you clearly that most scouts and analysts view these players as fits in a 4-3 but you have yet to show me ONE person other than yourself that says any one of them is strictly a 3-4 OLB. And you won't. Not even Mayock.

DraftBoy
03-31-2009, 10:30 AM
Yes, you see they call him a 3-4 OLB prospect but they also feel he is still a 4-3 DE, Mcshay has Brown going to the BILLS. If the draft didn't have so many 3-4 teams picking in the top 10 there wouldn't be so much 3-4 OLB talk surrounding Brown, Maybin and Rak. But since GB, CLE, SF, KC, and Denver at 12 are all 3-4 teams then they are simply putting 2 and 2 together.

I have shown you clearly that most scouts and analysts view these players as fits in a 4-3 but you have yet to show me ONE person other than yourself that says any one of them is strictly a 3-4 OLB. And you won't. Not even Mayock.

I have said they can play the 4-3 as well, what's your point exactly? In my opinion I do not see Brown or Maybin as 4-3 DE's in the NFL. Does that mean they can't do it? No, I just know that I would never draft them to do it. Why I would draft a guy to put him in a position he could play but would not be best at defies logic. Hell at this point we could take Brown and put him at DT too, I mean he can do it so why not?

His better position in the NFL is as a 3-4 OLB and you won't get much argument if you ask those guys which he is a better fit for. You know that, I know that. The fact that you bring up this same argument every time is pointless. We've been over this 50 times now.

methos4ever
03-31-2009, 10:34 AM
Sidbury will be a project. I don't think Buffalo will seriously entertain drafting him unless they are convinced that either he or Chris Ellis will be ready to step in and play a fairly significant role, or they've given up on Ellis and want to develop Sidbury in his stead.
Any DE we take in this draft will be a project. Has everyone forgotten how Mario Williams, far and away the best end in his class did his first year? Bupkus. Now, he's tearing heads off and destroying all in his way and that's most likely what's going to happen with any of these ends. To think that just because we draft a player at 11 that he'll start and perform above and beyond is wishful at best - unless it's a RB or Offensive Lineman.

Mahdi
03-31-2009, 10:38 AM
I have said they can play the 4-3 as well, what's your point exactly? In my opinion I do not see Brown or Maybin as 4-3 DE's in the NFL. Does that mean they can't do it? No, I just know that I would never draft them to do it. Why I would draft a guy to put him in a position he could play but would not be best at defies logic. Hell at this point we could take Brown and put him at DT too, I mean he can do it so why not?

His better position in the NFL is as a 3-4 OLB and you won't get much argument if you ask those guys which he is a better fit for. You know that, I know that. The fact that you bring up this same argument every time is pointless. We've been over this 50 times now.
Comparing Brown playing DE which he did successfully in College to playing DT is a ridiculous argument.

Two, when you look at drafting a player you don't think about whether or not he is a better fit in someone else' scheme. You think about whether or not he can perform in your scheme. And seeing as how we run a cover 2 and the guys we are discussing played DE in college, im pretty sure they can get Brown and Maybin to get upfield in a hurry and get to the QB.

Its entirely possible that Lamar Woodley would have been a Dwight Freeney in a cover 2 defense. But the Steelers could care less, they needed a pass rusher they saw one that was successful at it in college and they took him. Who cares what he could have been somewhere else.

DraftBoy
03-31-2009, 10:40 AM
Comparing Brown playing DE which he did successfully in College to playing DT is a ridiculous argument.

Two, when you look at drafting a player you don't think about whether or not he is a better fit in someone else' scheme. You think about whether or not he can perform in your scheme. And seeing as how we run a cover 2 and the guys we are discussing played DE in college, im pretty sure they can get Brown and Maybin to get upfield in a hurry and get to the QB.

Its entirely possible that Lamar Woodley would have been a Dwight Freeney in a cover 2 defense. But the Steelers could care less, they needed a pass rusher they saw one that was successful at it in college and they took him. Who cares what he could have been somewhere else.

Both Denney, and Kelsay get upfield, that theory on pass rushing has worked so well for us the past 4 years yes the ticket is to get more of it!

The rest of your post ignores my point completely so there is no reason to even comment on it. You running in circles, if you have a new point then lets hear it otherwise we are just going to keep saying the same things over and over again.

Mahdi
03-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Any DE we take in this draft will be a project. Has everyone forgotten how Mario Williams, far and away the best end in his class did his first year? Bupkus. Now, he's tearing heads off and destroying all in his way and that's most likely what's going to happen with any of these ends. To think that just because we draft a player at 11 that he'll start and perform above and beyond is wishful at best - unless it's a RB or Offensive Lineman.
I agree but what we will be asking a DE drafted @ 11 to do for us is get to the QB on 3rd down, and I'm sure Brown and Maybin can come in and apply some pressure and chip in with 5-7 sacks, but most importantly just get some hurries and pressures that we currently cant get. In a year he can become an every down defender.

Mahdi
03-31-2009, 10:42 AM
Both Denney, and Kelsay get upfield, that theory on pass rushing has worked so well for us the past 4 years yes the ticket is to get more of it!

The rest of your post ignores my point completely so there is no reason to even comment on it. You running in circles, if you have a new point then lets hear it otherwise we are just going to keep saying the same things over and over again.
They get upfield, they dont close on the QB though. There's a huge difference. They dont possess the first step to get around the corner and beat OTs.

That comment alone shows you have no clue what yer talking about when it comes to pass rushing. Kelsay and Denney dont even have upfield in their vocabulary. There's a big difference between running past the OT and having the ability to get around him and close on the QB. You do realize that dont you?

DraftBoy
03-31-2009, 10:42 AM
I agree but what we will be asking a DE drafted @ 11 to do for us is get to the QB on 3rd down, and I'm sure Brown and Maybin can come in and apply some pressure and chip in with 5-7 sacks, but most importantly just get some hurries and pressures that we currently cant get. In a year he can become an every down defender.

You want to take a player at 11 and only play him on 3rd downs?? What the hell is the point of that then? I want a starter at 11 not a situational player.

DraftBoy
03-31-2009, 10:43 AM
They get upfield they dont close on the QB though. There's a huge difference. They dont possess the first step to get around the corner and beat OTs.

And you cannot prove with even one iota of evidence that Brown could do any better in the NFL than either Kelsay or Denney.

Mahdi
03-31-2009, 10:48 AM
And you cannot prove with even one iota of evidence that Brown could do any better in the NFL than either Kelsay or Denney.
Well I guess we should just forfeit our draft picks and save the money then because the same can be said about every player in the draft.

DraftBoy
03-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Well I guess we should just forfeit our draft picks and save the money then because the same can be said about every player in the draft.

Yes because that's what I said...

Are you going for the overdramatic response of the day today?

Mahdi
03-31-2009, 10:59 AM
Yes because that's what I said...

Are you going for the overdramatic response of the day today?
Well the point that I can't prove Brown is going to apply more pressure than Kelsay is moot and makes no sense analytically.

Brown is a pure pass rusher coming out of college (which Kelsay was not) with measurables way above Kelsay's. Evidence suggests he will be a much better pass rusher. And that's all anyone can really go by.

DraftBoy
03-31-2009, 11:01 AM
I think he'll be amazing pass rusher as a 3-4 OLB. We completely agree about that. Just disagree on the posistion.

Mahdi
03-31-2009, 11:10 AM
I think he'll be amazing pass rusher as a 3-4 OLB. We completely agree about that. Just disagree on the posistion.
Well im glad we provided the zone with a Mcshay/Kiper debate.

Im still right though, yer wrong!

DraftBoy
03-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Well im glad we provided the zone with a Mcshay/Kiper debate.

Im still right though, yer wrong!

Keep thinking that sparky.

Mahdi
03-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Keep thinking that sparky.
I was kidding actually but thats ok.

DraftBoy
03-31-2009, 11:15 AM
I was kidding actually but thats ok.

As was I, hence the sparky comment.

Mahdi
03-31-2009, 11:16 AM
As was I, hence the sparky comment.
Gggiddy up.

TigerJ
03-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Any DE we take in this draft will be a project. Has everyone forgotten how Mario Williams, far and away the best end in his class did his first year? Bupkus. Now, he's tearing heads off and destroying all in his way and that's most likely what's going to happen with any of these ends. To think that just because we draft a player at 11 that he'll start and perform above and beyond is wishful at best - unless it's a RB or Offensive Lineman. I agree to an extent, and that's more true in this draft for DEs than for some others. Still, I think the Bills will want to be reasonably sure they are going to get more out of a rookie or more out of Ellis this coming season than they got out of Ellis last season before they cut Kelsay loose. I don't know that they will carry five DEs on the active roster if only three of them are getting on the field.

X-Era
03-31-2009, 05:18 PM
They have said they CAN play as a 3-4 OLB... not that they ARE 3-4 OLB's... In fact, at the combine, Mayock stated that he thinks (maybin I think, maybe it was Brown) can play as a 4-3 DE.

I agree that the possibility that either can play 3-4 OLB exists, but that that title is not exclusive. They could very well play 4-3 DE and players like Mathis, Freeney, and others would give instances where it has happened before.

That said, each may make the MOST sense as a OLB in a 3-4 rather than a 4-3 DE.