The Bills have another interesting money decision to make. We all know
about it, it has been in our ears and in our face for two years now. Jason
Peters wants a raise of nearly $7 1/2 million dollars per year. That,
in any economy, is serious money. Thinking about Peters, aside from the
money, brought me to Bruce Smith. Now, two men couldn't have taken more
different paths to NFL stardom, but there are some striking
similarities between them, and within this analysis I think we can come to
the right mindset regarding Peters.

First, both are/were freakish athletic talents. Huge men, with speed and agility that is rarely found. Both had great college success, though Bruce was far more highly thought of, obviously. Bruce came in fat and poorly conditioned, and was good his first year. He then dedicated himself to being, maybe, the top conditioned athlete in the league, maybe the most freakish physique until, well....Terrell Owens. The rest of his Hall of Fame career is history. Peters came in as a fat, poorly conditioned unsigned free agent tight end, and dedicated himself to dropping weight and improving his conditioning immeasurably. He then made the astonishing leap from tight end/special teams ace to All-Pro left offensive tackle.
Unfortunately, aside from the egos that followed, their paths seem to have diverged greatly. Bruce maintained a primadonna attitude throughout his career, holding out, having minor surgeries, missing training camp. Yet, come day one of the season, the Bills always had their finely tuned beast on the right end of the defensive line. It was a tribute to Bruce's dedication to himself and his profession that he was always, always prepared to play come Sunday. That made him a headache worth dealing with.....and paying.
Peters, on the other hand, only seems to have maintained the primadonna attitude. He held out last season, believing he deserved a pay raise. He certainly had the stats and performance from the previous year to support his case. Unfortunately for him, all of his actions since have justified the Bills' hardball stance with him. He showed up much like the Jason Peters from college, fat and out of shape. He played mediocre football, at best. There has been little or no sign since of the dedication, such as the type Bruce showed, to maintain his status as an elite player. Now we are back again, same place, different year. Should we pay him, or should we not?

When it comes right down to it, a big money contract to an athlete is about two things: performance and belief. For a team to hand out the type of money Jason Peters is asking for, they have to believe his current performance and/or his coming performance will warrant the deal. Why would the Bills, or any team for that matter, believe that handing Jason Peters $11 1/2 million dollars a year is a good risk? Here is a guy who salvaged himself into a excellent professional football player, by working hard to hone himself; yet, the first year after major success, he allowed himself to revert back to the man that was an undrafted free agent. Bruce, until the Bills felt he was too old and on the decline, was about as safe a big money bet as there was in pro sports. Bruce wanted his money to be sure, but for him, the dollar amount represented RESPECT and validation. The Bills could pay Bruce and deal with his headaches, knowing, no, believing, that Bruce would be ready to go from day one.

Do you get that feeling about Jason Peters? I get the feeling that the $11 1/2 million would be more about living the pampered life for Jason Peters than a validation of his success. He is the type guy we all worry about getting the big contract, and then disappearing into the oblivion of mediocrity. His move to become a finely tuned, well-conditioned athlete seems to be the exception over his history, as opposed to the norm. That, in and of itself, is the definition of risk.

So, that brings me to the bottom line. Today's NFL is about risk management and getting top value for your assets. Jason Peters is too big a risk for the money he is asking. There will be a market for him right now, and it will likely never be better. It is time for the Bills to move him for a maximum return now. Other options are there. A first round tackle, Orlando Pace anyone? All I know is that if fat, out of shape Jason Peters shows up again, we will have a bigger problem. Literally.

http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2009/03/31/the_bruce_smith_jason_peters_parallel_.php

OpIv37
03-31-2009, 03:11 PM
The Bills don't manage risk. With the exception of T.O., they just avoid it.

Yasgur's Farm
03-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Jason Peters should be washing Bruce Smith's jocks!

psubills62
03-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Now THIS article I can wholeheartedly agree with. Exactly my thoughts on the comparison between the two. Anyone who says that Peters should get paid because his situation is similar to Smith's, and HE got paid...just doesn't get football.

ddaryl
03-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Peters is no where's near as dominant as Smith was... and I hated Smiths guts every time he held out

accept when Smith came back to work he kicked ass, Peters held out and when he came back to work he sputtered and putted along evnetually getting up to speed but never matching the abillity he showed in 2007.

HHURRICANE
03-31-2009, 03:59 PM
Bruce Smith missed a Superbowl becuase of a stomach ache. He's my favorite all time Bill but he was far from perfect.

Sorry, but Peters is negotiating a deal, not running for president.

I think the guy is smart enough to realize the market is probably 9-10 million a year so I doubt he's holding out for 12 million.

Thurmal
03-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Bruce was definitely a money-hungry "me first" guy, but didn't you get the feeling that half the reason behind all his holdouts was an excuse to miss training camp?

justasportsfan
03-31-2009, 05:00 PM
apples and oranges. They both came to this league under different circumstances. One had to work his way to the Top while one was already at the top the minute he came in.

yordad
03-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Would he consider a trade to be a reward?

Dujek
04-01-2009, 06:03 AM
apples and oranges. They both came to this league under different circumstances. One had to work his way to the Top while one was already at the top the minute he came in.

Yet the one who came in at the top worked to make sure he stayed there, while the guy who worked his way up suddenly seems to have lost his motivation to stay there.

psubills62
04-01-2009, 08:20 AM

It's apples and oranges when comparing how they came into the league. But both ended up at the "top" (I use that term loosely when talking about Peters) of their respective positions. The article is mainly focusing on what they did when at the top.

trapezeus
04-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Bruce also had levy and a stable environment. When he came back from the hold out, the systems were by far mostly the same as the previous season.

Peters is doing this with new players on the OL both year, no track record of winning, and knowing that more change has to be implemented throughout the team.

Great article by the way.

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Yet the one who came in at the top worked to make sure he stayed there, while the guy who worked his way up suddenly seems to have lost his motivation to stay there.
You're trying to view things from a fans perspective.

If your FO was trying to lowball you by paying less than average what people make at your position you'd be pissed too.

It's a slap on your face when your FO brings in somebody from washington and pay him a salary highest in franchise history even though he never played a down for this franchise. To think he was only a LG.

It's a slap in your face when the FO pays somone like Kelsay for doing nothing and then give someone like Aaron a payraise just so that they can make him happy after overpaying Kelsay and then ignore you.

YOu'd be pissed if the FO brought in a RT that gave up more sacks than Peters did last year while playing for the raiders. But wait, those sacks weren't his fault but last years sacks were Peters' fault.

If you were in Peters' shoes, you'd probably go about it the right way but you'd be pissed anyways.

I'm tired of taking steps backwards the more time we give this staff. After 3 years we almost have the same amount of holes than when we started and we're about to create another one.

Like I said, if we had a coaching staff that's proven to know what to do with rookies and has proven to develop them, I say screw Peters. But i"m desperate for wins. I'm not sure if this staff even knows what a good talent is and I don't trust them to use the draft picks wisely.

Maybe you guys are okay with 0-6 in the division. Maybe you guys think that a rookie will easily protect our brittle qb. I doubt a rookie is gonna know how to handle a 3-4 D more than Peters. Our staff doesn't even know what a 3-4 is.

Some of you forget what happened when we cut PAt Williams because we thought he was asking too much.