PDA

View Full Version : Its official Cutler is on the trading block...

sauce
03-31-2009, 08:41 PM
<HR style="COLOR: #22229c; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #22229c" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/31/bowl...-trade-cutler/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/31/bowlen-says-broncos-will-try-to-trade-cutler/)

Just announced on NFL.com that Bowlen has had enough...

This pansy ass clown is gonna pull a Brett Farve and instantly make the JETS a better team

Can't they develop a QB of their own man I *****ing hate the Jets

Nighthawk
03-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Would love to have him in Buffalo...

Pinkerton Security
03-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Would love to have him in Buffalo...

i know at this point he is better than edwards. i just really dislike this man.

TacklingDummy
03-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Would love to have him in Buffalo... I'd give up a 2nd.

justasportsfan
03-31-2009, 08:59 PM
woohooo! Everyone in the AFCE is getting better while the bills might are looking to take a step back by trading Peters.

This pansy ass clown is gonna pull a Brett Farve and instantly make the JETS a better team

Jaybird
03-31-2009, 09:01 PM
The bills will not trade for him. The front office really likes Trent

justasportsfan
03-31-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm almost sure Trent would rather play for JOsh McDaniels and TO would most likely want Cutler throwing to him.

Nighthawk
03-31-2009, 09:09 PM
i know at this point he is better than edwards. i just really dislike this man.

Why?

Nighthawk
03-31-2009, 09:10 PM
I'd give up a 2nd.

I'd give up Edwards and work from there. Edwards is the type of QB McDaniels would love...very smart and easy to coach. Cutler fits Buffalo perfectly...strong arm, makes plays on his own and brash...I like that in a QB.

theanswer74
03-31-2009, 09:13 PM
So now we get to see if Ruben Brown was right when he said the Bills were trading Edwards for Cutler.

justasportsfan
03-31-2009, 09:15 PM
I'd give up Edwards and work from there. Edwards is the type of QB McDaniels would love...very smart and easy to coach. Cutler fits Buffalo perfectly...strong arm, makes plays on his own and brash...I like that in a QB.Trent and a 2nd for Culter? We get a better qb who can get the ball to both Lee and TO and Josh McDaniels gets his qb that the jets can't offer.

Watch Trent become a probowl player under McDaniels though :sad:

If we trade Peters away we might as well trade Trent away because with all the confusion thats bound to happen when we start reshuffling this OL, Trent may not be durable enough once the 3-4 defenses get to him. Besides, we get our 1st round that a lot of people here want by trading Peters away.

BillsWin
03-31-2009, 09:16 PM
He won't come here but I know his agent's phone has been ringing and I know which teams they are. :)

Nighthawk
03-31-2009, 09:27 PM
He won't come here but I know his agent's phone has been ringing and I know which teams they are. :)

Well...share your inside information...

justasportsfan
03-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Detroit. They swap 1st rd picks. and Josh McDaniels uses it to grab Stafford.

justasportsfan
03-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Well...share your inside information...
When TO was released, Russ received a text "TO" from .....Trent . Now Russ received one "Cutler" from....Lee

Nighthawk
03-31-2009, 09:31 PM
When TO was released, Russ recieved a "TO" from Trent . Now Russ received one "Cutler" from....Lee

No, I think he texted Russ..."QB that is good...NOW!"

justasportsfan
03-31-2009, 09:34 PM
No, I think he texted Russ..."QB that is good...NOW!"

Don't get me wrong, I like Trent but unfortunately, I doubt he'll ever reach his potential as long as Turks the OC. McDaniels runs a system thats qb friendly. He'll bring out the best in Trent and develop him like he developed Cassel.

Cutler on the other hand is already developed and will make Turk look better.

Nighthawk
03-31-2009, 09:36 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like Trent but unfortunately, I doubt he'll ever reach his potential as long as Turks the OC. McDaniels runs a system thats qb friendly. He'll bring out the best in Trent and develop him like he developed Cassel.

Cutler on the other hand is already developed and will make Turk look better.

I know...I'm not a Trent hater, I just believe Cutler is a much better QB and makes this team better. If we still have Trent starting on opening day, I'm Ok with it and will root for him.

Mudflap1
03-31-2009, 09:46 PM

You've been right on the money so many times already... :rofl:

Anyway, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. Detroit, Tampa Bay, New York Jets, San Francisco, Washington, Minnesota, and Chicago are all potential destinations. And Buffalo will just sit there and watch it all pass them by.

Jon

Tiburon1724
03-31-2009, 10:10 PM
The Jets have no QB, I see him ending up there :(
I'd gladly trade Trent for Cutler for the reasons mentioned above.

Ingtar33
03-31-2009, 10:16 PM
The Jets have no QB, I see him ending up there :(
I'd gladly trade Trent for Cutler for the reasons mentioned above.

the problem the jets have is that denver has no QB either.

Unless they're in love with Kellen Clements, the Broncos have to get a franchise QB or they'll be a laughing stock for trading him.

They need a high 1st rounded, to draft one... or a QB they think will become one. the only other way i could see them trading him, is if someone gave up like 2 years of draft classes... al la H.Walker...

Without someone who could be/is as good as Jay Cutler, in the deal, the price for Cutler will be insane.

acehole
03-31-2009, 10:53 PM

The front office and half this board.

To think a 2nd round pick got castle...and we will pass on cutler.

we are terrible.

chubluv
03-31-2009, 11:14 PM
I like Trent, but I also think Cutler would be an upgrade. The F.O. went crazy and signed TO why not a trade to get Cutler.

I know we have other needs right now, but if we can upgrade why not.

clumping platelets
03-31-2009, 11:17 PM
Cutler and Scheffler to Buffalo for Edwards and our #2 :nod:

I'll even swap places in rd 1

chubluv
03-31-2009, 11:28 PM
Cutler and Scheffler to Buffalo for Edwards and our #2 :nod

I'll even swap places in rd 1

I like that scenario. So that means it will not happen.

yordad
03-31-2009, 11:33 PM
When TO was released, Russ received a text "TO" from .....Trent . Now Russ received one "Cutler" from....LeeNaw, the second text was from TO.

Mike
04-01-2009, 01:03 AM
The Trent Concern: Is he durable enough? I think that he can be a very good QB -maybe even great- but the biggest strike agaist him is his durability. I don't know if he can stay healthy enought to have a long, succesfull, fruitfull career. Cutler on the other hand is a dynamic play making QB -who may be on the immature ego side of things- but is never the less a Pro Bowl Caliber QB. Plug Cutler into the Bills offence and watch us rack up the points. Trent, at his best, can be very efficient QB (Montana-like), where as Cutler is a Big Play QB (Farve-like).

billogic99
04-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Trent and a 2nd for Culter? We get a better qb who can get the ball to both Lee and TO and Josh McDaniels gets his qb that the jets can't offer.

Watch Trent become a probowl player under McDaniels though :sad:

If we trade Peters away we might as well trade Trent away because with all the confusion thats bound to happen when we start reshuffling this OL, Trent may not be durable enough once the 3-4 defenses get to him. Besides, we get our 1st round that a lot of people here want by trading Peters away.

I think it would take more than a second rounder to get Cutler out of Denver, if he were to be franchised it would cost no less than 2 first round draft choices to get him. Cutler could be considered a franchise player. Trent is young and has some talent, but not enough at this point to make Denver give up their Pro bowl QB for Trent and a second rounder. JMO.

Night Train
04-01-2009, 02:38 AM
The Trent Concern: Is he durable enough? I think that he can be a very good QB -maybe even great- but the biggest strike agaist him is his durability. I don't know if he can stay healthy enought to have a long, succesfull, fruitfull career. Cutler on the other hand is ..

diabetic, immature, may have a drinking problem and needs a new big contract.

I see concerns with Cutler also.

clumping platelets
04-01-2009, 03:46 AM
I like that scenario. So that means it will not happen.

:mad:

Dujek
04-01-2009, 05:55 AM
Explain to me again how Cutler is so much better than Edwards? I saw two young quarterbacks who struggled as their teams fell apart around them last season, and Cutler had a better line in front of him and much better targets to hit.

I'm not saying Edwards is better than Cutler, but I've seen very little evidence that Cutler is better than Edwards. Last season Edwards had a similar QB rating to Cutler, and most of us would agree that Cutler had a better receiving corps to throw to, and Cutler's had an extra year in the NFL to develop.

Yasgur's Farm
04-01-2009, 06:00 AM
Sometimes you have to be a bit defensive with your moves. If the Bills would consider Cutler, we could be looking at a 14 point swing... Bills intercept Jets in the red zone and return for a TD.

I say Edwards AND Peters for Cutler... Scheffler would be icing on the cake.

Buddo
04-01-2009, 06:06 AM
Explain to me again how Cutler is so much better than Edwards? I saw two young quarterbacks who struggled as their teams fell apart around them last season, and Cutler had a better line in front of him and much better targets to hit.

I'm not saying Edwards is better than Cutler, but I've seen very little evidence that Cutler is better than Edwards. In fact last season Edwards had a better QB rating than Cutler, and most of us would agree that Cutler had a better receiving corps to throw to, and Cutler's had an extra year in the NFL to develop.

I think there's a fair bit of truth in this.
The Bronco's implosion last year, was conceivably worse than that of the Bills. They had to win one of their last 4 games to get to the playoffs - and couldn't do it. Of those 4 games, one was at Mile High against the Bills. Both QBs did what they do best, and who actually came out on top?

The big worry for me, is that in the unlikely event that we did trade for Cutler, Edwards would become the next Brady/Montana, and Cutler would become the next in a lengthening list, of adored failures at QB, for the Bills.

X-Era
04-01-2009, 06:07 AM
<hr style="color: rgb(34, 34, 156); background-color: rgb(34, 34, 156);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/31/bowl...-trade-cutler/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/31/bowlen-says-broncos-will-try-to-trade-cutler/)

Just announced on NFL.com that Bowlen has had enough...

ZERO concern about Cutler on the Jets... we have no problem beating him.

Yasgur's Farm
04-01-2009, 06:10 AM

I'm not saying Edwards is better than Cutler, but I've seen very little evidence that Cutler is better than Edwards. In fact last season Edwards had a better QB rating than Cutler, and most of us would agree that Cutler had a better receiving corps to throw to, and Cutler's had an extra year in the NFL to develop.
Cutler career...
62.5% completion
243.9 yards per game
7.4 yards per attempt
4.4% TD
87.1 passer rating
2 full 16 game seasons
1 Pro Bowl
Broncos late season collapse was due to D

Edwards career...
61.6% completion
180.4 yards per game
6.7 yards per attempt
2.8% TD
79.1 passer rating
No full 16 game seasons
No Pro Bowl
Bills collapse was largely due to O

That's a slam dunk right there!

X-Era
04-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Cutler career...
62.5% completion
243.9 yards per game
7.4 yards per attempt
4.4% TD
87.1 passer rating
2 full 16 game seasons
1 Pro Bowl

Edwards career...
61.6% completion
180.4 yards per game
6.7 yards per attempt
2.8% TD
79.1 passer rating
No full 16 game seasons
No Pro Bowl

I dont know thats a slam dunk... hes done more, but he isnt exactly a star in this league yet IMO.

And Trents only had one full season starting.

Yasgur's Farm
04-01-2009, 06:26 AM
I dont know thats a slam dunk... hes done more, but he isnt exactly a star in this league yet IMO.

And Trents only had one full season starting.We could compare 2nd years... But a quick glance shows the results are pretty consistent with career stats.

mybills
04-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Cutler would go into a diabetic coma if he played in Buffalo...the place is cursed.

Dujek
04-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Cutler career...
62.5% completion
243.9 yards per game
7.4 yards per attempt
4.4% TD
87.1 passer rating
2 full 16 game seasons
1 Pro Bowl

Edwards career...
61.6% completion
180.4 yards per game
6.7 yards per attempt
2.8% TD
79.1 passer rating
No full 16 game seasons
No Pro Bowl

Hardly a slam dunk, a 0.9% difference in completion percentage, and your perception of both teams' collapses. Buffalo's was certainly down to O, but mainly due to conservative crappy offensive play-calling, but Denver's was an entire team effort, with Cutler managing to do a great job of hitting defensive backs over the last month of the season.

Cutler is NOT a sure fire answer to our prayers. I don't think Edwards is either, but he has as much chance of taking the Bills to the playoffs as Cutler does.

And trust me, if Pro-Bowl voting had been carried out at the end of the season Cutler wouldn't have been anywhere near Hawaii.

Dujek
04-01-2009, 06:44 AM
We could compare 2nd years... But a quick glance shows the results are pretty consistent with career stats.

But if you compare Edwards' second year to Cutler's third the ratings are similar, and while Cutler threw more TDs he also threw more picks and actually had somebody to hit in the red zone who could hold onto the ball.

TacklingDummy
04-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Jay Cutler has better stats. in his first 3 years than Jim Kelly. In 8 less games.

Dujek
04-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Most important stat of all is W-L:

Edwards: 12-11
Cutler: 17-20

And I think we all agree Denver had better coaching and better talent around the QB than the Bills had over that time.

X-Era
04-01-2009, 07:14 AM

And I think we all agree Denver had better coaching and better talent around the QB than the Bills had over that time.

Not that the QB can solely be the cause of wins or losses... but is there a more important stat than this?

mybills
04-01-2009, 07:18 AM
how many interceptions?

TacklingDummy
04-01-2009, 07:23 AM

Jim Kelly 10-18.

Dujek
04-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Jim Kelly 10-18.

If you're comparing him against Cutler then I'd go with 22-22 after 3 seasons...

Yasgur's Farm
04-01-2009, 07:39 AM
But if you compare Edwards' second year to Cutler's third the ratings are similar, and while Cutler threw more TDs he also threw more picks and actually had somebody to hit in the red zone who could hold onto the ball.

Cutler '08...
62.3% completion (-3.2%)
282.9 yards per game (+90.1)
7.4 yards per attempt (+.2)
4.1% TD (+1.2%)
2.9% Int (-+.2%)
86.0 passer rating (+.6)
Full 16 game seasons
1 Pro Bowl

Edwards '08...
65.5% completion (+3.2%)
192.8 yards per game (-90.1)
7.2 yards per attempt (-.2)
2.9% TD (-1.2%)
2.7% Int (-.2%)
85.4 passer rating (-.6)
No full 16 game seasons
No Pro Bowl

To me... That's a pretty significant advantage for Cutler... Especially yards per game and TD percentage.

Dujek
04-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Again see where Cutler had a target to hit in the red zone who could actually hold onto the ball. Also the Bills were a run first team, especially in the red zone, affecting both Edwards' ypg and TD %. The YPA is close, the QB rating is almost identical and Cutler's INT% is very slightly worse.

There's not enough there to pull the trigger, especially for the deal you're suggesting that would include our starting LT.

And as I said before, if the Pro Bowl voting had been held at the end of the season instead of mid-November Cutler wouldn't have been close. The Bronco's collapse was largely due to Cutler's amazing ability to hit defensive backs in the hands in December.

Jan Reimers
04-01-2009, 07:57 AM
I wouldn't go anywhere near Cutler and his fragile ego. I'm afraid he wouldn't get all of the love that he needs - someone, for instance, might break one of his toys -and he would pull his pouting, petulant child routine.

Dujek
04-01-2009, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't go anywhere near Cutler and his fragile ego. I'm afraid he wouldn't get all of the love that he needs - someone, for instance, might break one of his toys -and he would pull his pouting, petulant child routine.

Just imagine the *****-fight that could ensue if TO thought Cutler wasn't throwing him the ball often enough.

don137
04-01-2009, 07:59 AM
The thing I worry about Cutler is his attitude. He had his ego hurt and seemed very immature about the whole ordeal. I could not see him and TO having a great relationship since both have very sensitive egos. I also feel Denver got in shootouts in the last few years because they had such a bad defense which helped Cutler's stats. Make no mistake, I think Cutler is a very good QB but if you factor everything in I rather have Edwards. I do think Cutler has a stronger arm but I think Cutler could become the next Jeff George.

Tatonka
04-01-2009, 08:08 AM
cutler is not that good. he turns the ball over every time he scores.

trapezeus
04-01-2009, 08:24 AM

Joe Ferguson was a good QB, but when Kelly said he'd come to the bills, the team seemed to change their tune. At the current time, ferguson and kelly are a good proxy for Edwards and Cutler, respectively. Who knows if that holds up 5 years from now.

My only hesitation is that Cutler's tantrum has gone beyond a reasonable time and now i wonder what kind of headcase he is. He's a QB...things aren't going to be perfect. It's his job to make it look like everything is though.

trapezeus
04-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Just imagine the *****-fight that could ensue if TO thought Cutler wasn't throwing him the ball often enough.

i don't see much of a fight breaking out. I see TO crying about it and then cutler walking away, "insulted" and then he becomes quiet and doesn't show up for next game.

Mahdi
04-01-2009, 08:36 AM
cutler is not that good. he turns the ball over every time he scores.
Can Cutler throw short to RBs?

Cuz if not I dont want him.....

Pinkerton Security
04-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Cutler '08...
62.3% completion (-3.2%)
282.9 yards per game (+90.1)
7.4 yards per attempt (+.2)
4.1% TD (+1.2%)
2.9% Int (-+.2%)
86.0 passer rating (+.6)
Full 16 game seasons
1 Pro Bowl

Edwards '08...
65.5% completion (+3.2%)
192.8 yards per game (-90.1)
7.2 yards per attempt (-.2)
2.9% TD (-1.2%)
2.7% Int (-.2%)
85.4 passer rating (-.6)
No full 16 game seasons
No Pro Bowl

To me... That's a pretty significant advantage for Cutler... Especially yards per game and TD percentage.

Cutler attempts per game: 38
Trent attempts: 26

So give trent another 12 attempts per game as well, at 7.2 ypa, and thats 86 more yards for Trent, making the biggest differential between the 2 only 4 yards per game, not 90

Trent didnt play in a gunslinging offense. Cutler did. You can't ignore the disparity of over 240 more attempts for Cutler over the season.

historypete
04-01-2009, 08:49 AM

That is a decieving stat considering in games were the Denver Defense gives up 21 points or less, Cutler is 13-1.

Dujek
04-01-2009, 09:00 AM
That is a decieving stat considering in games were the Denver Defense gives up 21 points or less, Cutler is 13-1.

Does that take into account the points the defense give up because Cutler tries to force a play and turns the ball over giving the opposition a short field?

Mahdi
04-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Cutler attempts per game: 38
Trent attempts: 26

So give trent another 12 attempts per game as well, at 7.2 ypa, and thats 86 more yards for Trent, making the biggest differential between the 2 only 4 yards per game, not 90

Trent didnt play in a gunslinging offense. Cutler did. You can't ignore the disparity of over 240 more attempts for Cutler over the season.
yeah,,, well if Trent could keep the offense ON the field, maybe he would have more attempts.

Mahdi
04-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Does that take into account the points the defense give up because Cutler tries to force a play and turns the ball over giving the opposition a short field?
Man this is way too much analysis....

There is not even an argument to be made here, we have all seen Cutler throw the ball...

He is way better and much more dynamic than Trent. Period.

Pinkerton Security
04-01-2009, 09:07 AM
yeah,,, well if Trent could keep the offense ON the field, maybe he would have more attempts.

and if Denver's D could keep a HS team from scoring, then maybe Cutler would have less, therefore less yards.

Dujek
04-01-2009, 09:10 AM

Bollocks. Cutler is over-hyped by himself and over-rated by a bunch of posters on here who always feel the grass is greener.

Edwards is a solid QB, and if he actually got some protection from our line he'd be able to stay healthy for a full season. I guarantee that if Cutler was playing behind the Bills line last year he'd have missed games too.

Mahdi
04-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Bollocks. Cutler is over-hyped by himself and over-rated by a bunch of posters on here who always feel the grass is greener.

Edwards is a solid QB, and if he actually got some protection from our line he'd be able to stay healthy for a full season. I guarantee that if Cutler was playing behind the Bills line last year he'd have missed games too.
Thats Hilarious.

Trent was well Protected last year. He took a ton of coverage sacks cuz he was stumped.

And you might want to watch Cutler throw. He can throw harder, farther and more accurately. He has a proper delivery and an elite throwing motion.

Edwards has a flawed throwing motion, doesn't step into his deliveries and doesn't set his feet right. He has a long way to go.

Dujek
04-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Really? Because I seem to remember plenty of occasions where our line just blew up and Trent was buried before he even had a chance to **** his arm.

I will agree that Cutler has a better throwing action, but Edwards has a better football brain. Mechanics can be fixed, Cutler's ******ation is permanent.

nolimit
04-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Its very simple. Does Cutler make the BILLS a playoff team and a SuperBowl contender. If the brass think yes, there is no reason to not make it happen.

Dujek
04-01-2009, 09:44 AM
And the answer is no. Behind the Bills line Cutler would be pulverised. He has a great action, but takes time to make his decisions. He got away with it behind Denver's line, but in Buffalo he'd still be trying to remember the play that was called by the time the first defender got to him.

Changing QBs will not make the Bills a playoff team. The upgrade is needed in the trenches, so really this argument is moot anyway.

Jan Reimers
04-01-2009, 09:45 AM
No doubt. But he appears to be a Jeff George-type head case, as well.

Mahdi
04-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Really? Because I seem to remember plenty of occasions where our line just blew up and Trent was buried before he even had a chance to **** his arm.

I will agree that Cutler has a better throwing action, but Edwards has a better football brain. Mechanics can be fixed, Cutler's ******ation is permanent.
Well take this into consideration...

Trent was sacked 5.8% of the time on pass plays....

Roethlesberger--- 8.9%

Cassel -- 8.3%

Favre -- 5.4%

Schaub -- 5.7%

Yes there were some blown assignments, but they were few. Peters had 3 or 4 and there were a couple more during the year, but overall, Trent caused a lot of the sacks through indecision.

Mahdi
04-01-2009, 09:48 AM
And the answer is no. Behind the Bills line Cutler would be pulverised. He has a great action, but takes time to make his decisions. He got away with it behind Denver's line, but in Buffalo he'd still be trying to remember the play that was called by the time the first defender got to him.

Changing QBs will not make the Bills a playoff team. The upgrade is needed in the trenches, so really this argument is moot anyway.
Man, you have no idea what yer talking about. Ask any Denver fan and you wont get what you just said from them. Cutler is a smart QB, and has a quick release. His line didn't have to protect him for long.

Dujek
04-01-2009, 09:51 AM
I watched plenty of Denver games last year. Cutler was protected forever and a day on most plays.

You are the one who has no idea what they're talking about if you think that Cutler is in any way a good fit for the Bills offense.

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 09:52 AM
and if he actually got some protection from our line he'd be able to stay healthy for a full season. .
yet you want to get rid of our best OL player for abunch of rookies who may not even pan out.

Dujek
04-01-2009, 09:56 AM
When did I say that?

I said the Bills should pay Peters what he's worth, but that if he's going to hold out for a ridiculous payday then we should trade him. Check your facts.

madness
04-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Cutler is not a smart QB by NFL standards. He struggles with his reads and makes piss poor decisions. I'm not saying he can't improve but he has a long way to go before he is considered a smart QB.

Pinkerton Security
04-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Man, you have no idea what yer talking about. Ask any Denver fan and you wont get what you just said from them. Cutler is a smart QB, and has a quick release. His line didn't have to protect him for long.

you get a headcase with a rocket for an arm, tons of talent, yet someone who STILL average the nearly the exact same YPA and QB rating as the lowly Trent Edwards...

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 10:08 AM
When did I say that?

I said the Bills should pay Peters what he's worth, but that if he's going to hold out for a ridiculous payday then we should trade him. Check your facts.
my bad. Let me rephrase. This is why you should pay Peters just like we should've paid Pat Williams the amount we thought was absurd back then.

Dujek
04-01-2009, 10:21 AM
my bad. Let me rephrase. This is why you should pay Peters just like we should've paid Pat Williams the amount we thought was absurd back then.

Fair enough. I think though that if we over pay Peters we then hamstring ourselves when it comes to other areas that need addressing. There's a fine line between securing a critical piece of our team long term and shooting ourselves in the foot.

Offer the man somewhere around $9.5 million per year, if he won't accept that then we would have to consider trading him.

Mahdi
04-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Fair enough. I think though that if we over pay Peters we then hamstring ourselves when it comes to other areas that need addressing. There's a fine line between securing a critical piece of our team long term and shooting ourselves in the foot.

Offer the man somewhere around $9.5 million per year, if he won't accept that then we would have to consider trading him.
I say 10 mil even. Bills are reportedly offering 8.5 Peters wants 11.5. If each concedes 1.5 its 10 even.

Get it done already.

Dujek
04-01-2009, 10:28 AM
I say 10 mil even. Bills are reportedly offering 8.5 Peters wants 11.5. If each concedes 1.5 its 10 even.

Get it done already.

That I'll agree with you on. If it ends up costing $10 million then so be it, but $11.5 million is Peters taking the piss.

Philagape
04-01-2009, 10:30 AM
I watched a lot of Cutler last year. I wouldn't say he's a "smart" QB, but he's got good poise and improvises well. That's part of the reason he was sacked so few times.
He's inconsistent and he'll force throws and be reckless at times, and he can give away a game just as easily as win one. A lot like Favre. But he's a playmaker who helps his team more than he hurts it. He's a big reason Denver was 8-8 instead of say, 4-12, with their defense and freak RB injuries.

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 10:31 AM

If we paid the right people money then we wouldn't have these holes to begin with. We're not willing to pay Peters but we're okay with paying our DE's too much money which is one of our biggest holes. We don't have to create more holes by getting cheap with our qb's blind side.

We've invested too much on the DE position and it seems that we're gonna have to invest more via the draft. Get rid of the dead weight and use the money on Peters.

IMO, Getting rid of Peters is gonna cause more harm than if we pay him.

DraftBoy
04-01-2009, 10:38 AM
This is becoming an ongoing argument that is becoming the same facts repeated over and over again. Cutler is not a football IQ QB, everybody knows that. He is an instincts QB with incredible ability who can make throws most other QB's can't. He has a laser arm, good accuracy, and can move when needed. He also has a cocky swagger that either makes you love him or hate him. He is going to throw a good amount of picks. He is also going to throw a lot of TDs.

Edwards is a smart QB who excels on short to intermediate routes on quick drops. He reads zone coverage well and can spot the hole and make a good anticipatory throw. His footwork however is bad, and he plays scared after he takes a decent shot. His throwing motion goes from bad to worse and he refuses step into any hits.

Personally Id rather a QB who isnt afraid to get hit, which is the way Edwards played after his concussion last season.

Dujek
04-01-2009, 10:46 AM
If we paid the right people money then we wouldn't have these holes to begin with. We're not willing to pay Peters but we're okay with paying our DE's too much money which is one of our biggest holes. We don't have to create more holes by getting cheap with our qb's blind side.

We've invested too much on the DE position and it seems that we're gonna have to invest more via the draft. Get rid of the dead weight and use the money on Peters.

IMO, Getting rid of Peters is gonna cause more harm than if we pay him.

Agreed about the DEs, but that's the real problem, the Bills FO and some of their fans (me included) are worried that if we overpay Peters we end up with the same situation as we have with the DEs, somebody that just isn't worth the money and is hurting the team. It's a case of once bitten twice shy. Well actually, it's a case of twice bitten and now we're thinking that making the same mistake 3 times would just be ridiculous.

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Agreed about the DEs, but that's the real problem, the Bills FO and some of their fans (me included) are worried that if we overpay Peters we end up with the same situation as we have with the DEs, somebody that just isn't worth the money and is hurting the team. It's a case of once bitten twice shy. Well actually, it's a case of twice bitten and now we're thinking that making the same mistake 3 times would just be ridiculous.
I'll take my chances on Peters. He's already proven that he can be one of the best at his position and is only had one bad year which ins't that from his best year. He can still get back to his 07 form and is young enough to stay in that position for a long time.

Mahdi
04-01-2009, 11:21 AM
I would agree, however the difference between Schobel and Kelsay and Peters is that Peters is top 3 at his position in the entire NFL. Schobel and Kelsay are simply the best on the Bills.

venis2k1
04-01-2009, 11:28 AM
He can still get back to his 07 form and is young enough to stay in that position for a long time.

why cant we wait and see if he can, he us under contract for 2 more years, if he plays lights out next year id have no problem paying him like the top tackle.

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 11:32 AM
why cant we wait and see if he can, he us under contract for 2 more years, if he plays lights out next year id have no problem paying him like the top tackle.
I wouldnt play for less than average LT $ if I were Peters and neither would you.

JPFBillsFan
04-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Best Case Scenario:

Bills trade Peters to Philly for #23 and #28 in Rd 1
Then send Edwards and #23 or #28 to Denver for Cutler and Scheffler
#12 pick take best Olinemen available and move Langston Walker to LT (Walker, Bell or rookie, Hartgarner, Butler, Chambers)
#23 or #28 take best available defensive player
2nd Rd pick take another Linemen or Defensive player

Mahdi
04-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Once you establish your worth in the NFL you have to get it otherwise you risk losing everything. One play can take you from a potential 10 mil a year player to zero. So once your value is 10 mil then you make sure you get it so that if you do get hurt you have some guaranteed money to fall back on.

venis2k1
04-01-2009, 11:42 AM
I wouldnt play for less than average LT $ if I were Peters and neither would you.

yes i would...If your choices are make $6,500,000 playing or make $0 this year sitting at home, id take the money.(BTW these are Peters choices.)

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 11:49 AM
yes i would...If your choices are make $6,500,000 playing or make $0 this year sitting at home, id take the money.(BTW these are Peters choices.)It that what he's scheduled to make 6.5 this year with his current contract?

who says he's gonna be sitting home? The bills can't afford to have him sit when they can trade him for a 1st rd. pick . They will trade him before that happens especially since they can grab a Smith or Oher for the future.

If Peters sits, it's a lose lose situation and the bills are looking to lose more after 3 straight 7-9 seasons.

Peters had become a mercenary but the bills created this monster . They just brought in another mercenary in TO.

venis2k1
04-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Once you establish your worth in the NFL you have to get it otherwise you risk losing everything. One play can take you from a potential 10 mil a year player to zero. So once your value is 10 mil then you make sure you get it so that if you do get hurt you have some guaranteed money to fall back on.

I understand Peters motivation. But you don't seem to realize he has no say in this matter, WE OWN HIM for 2 more years. And as for his "worth" in the nfl, its obvious that you and I see him as very different players. I feel that he established last year, through his play, that he isnt a top 5 tackle in the league. its obvious you feel different.

The two contracts that keep getting brought up in this saga are Jake Long and Jordan Gross.

Miami was coming off a 1-15 season, they were desperate to sign their draft pick and show the fans they were serious about winning, the fins were also hampered by picking him #1 in the draft. Miami HAD to pay Long that much.

Carolina used its franchise tag on Peppers and Gross was a free agent, they had no way to replace him. Gross had all the leverage in negotiations, thus he got what he wanted.

We are not in a desperate position like those teams were in. Peters is under contract for 2 more years.

HHURRICANE
04-01-2009, 11:54 AM
I pray that Cutler goes to the Jets because I'll enjoy kicking their ass twice a season with Edwards.

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 11:55 AM
We are not in a desperate position like those teams were in. Peters is under contract for 2 more years.
we brought in TO. I say we're depserate. Everybody knows we're desperate especially Jauron. Peters is trying to milk the bills because he knows we're desperate. I'm sure he knows we're depsrate enough to trade him away before he sits and get something in return.

venis2k1
04-01-2009, 11:57 AM
It that what he's scheduled to make 6.5 this year with his current contract?

actully, just checked, he is gonna make considerably less than that. But still, my point remains the same.

venis2k1
04-01-2009, 11:58 AM
we brought in TO. I say we're depserate. Everybody knows we're desperate especially Jauron. Peters is trying to milk the bills because he knows we're desperate. I'm sure he knows we're depsrate enough to trade him away before he sits and get something in return.

Desperate to win? yes. Desperate to resign Peters? no.

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 11:59 AM
actully, just checked, he is gonna make considerably less than that. But still, my point remains the same.
okay then he sits and waits to be traded. We don't make millions like he does , of course 3 million is gonna look good for us which would mean you'd take it.

madness
04-01-2009, 12:01 PM
April fools joke....

Broncos have deal in place to send Cutler to San Francisco
The Broncos will acquire three draft picks and quarterback Alex Smith in the deal
By Matt Baubo - print article
Published: April 1, 2009

The Denver Broncos have the framework of a deal in place to trade disgruntled starting quarterback Jay Cutler to the 49ers, a source close to the team reports. The 49ers will reportedly send their first and third round pick in this year's draft (10th and 43rd overall), their second round pick in the 2010 draft, aging safety Mark Roman, and former first overall pick Alex Smith.

Talks accelerated after Bronco's CEO and team president announced the club was willing to trade Cutler after trying and failing to contact the young signal caller for 10 days. Sources report that the 49ers were the most aggressive in their offer to secure the young quarterback's services.

http://www.denverexaminer.problitz.com/sports/broncos/20090401-Cutler-Trade.html

Especially when you check out the bottom of the page. :rofl:

Around the NFL

Arizona Cardinals QB Kurt Warner will no longer be using his trademark gloves on the field this season. When asked why he merely responded with, "God told me not to wear them." No word from the team as to how this will affect his throwing motion.

In Buffalo, newly signed wide receiver Terrell Owens was seen getting into an altercation with Bills quarterback Trent Edwards during a charity Ultimate Frisbee tournament. Onlookers overheard Owens could yelling "Throw me the [expletive] frisbee! I'm open!" while getting really close to Edwards. Owens was later seen throwing popcorn in Edwards' face before storming out of the facility where the event was being held. Edwards and Owens could not be reached for comment.

Darren Sproles, the diminutive yet shifty running back for the San Diego Chargers, needed medical attention after being shot through a children's tube slide at acceerated speeds at a local San Diego park. "Man, you just pick up speed on that thing! I thought it was never going to end. I don't know how my kids do it." Sproles had minor scratches and bruises but should not miss any team workouts.

The Oakland Raiders have made another bold offseason signing with their acquisition of defensive end Amon Hobbs to a multi-year contract. While the details of the contract are not yet known, it is rumored to be a $45 million deal. This is a large amount for a player that was not able to secure a backup role last season with the Lions before being released. When ESPN analyst Tim Kurkjian was asked about his thoughts regarding the deal, he replied, "I am a baseball analyst." Oakland feels that Hobbs is a perfect fit for the starting role and could contribute immediately. Hobbs has 13 tackles and no sacks over his 8 year career.

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Desperate to win? yes. Desperate to resign Peters? no.

you do need players to win no? Either ways, we're desperate.

venis2k1
04-01-2009, 12:07 PM
There is no sit and wait to be traded. Its play or dont get paid. The bills wont find decent compensation for Peters and moving him for less than he is worth is dumb.

as for 4 million dollars not being a lot of money to Peters, I think your crazy. Sure we don't make millions, but id be willing to bet you don't have to pay a 5 million dollar mortgage.

And lets say for hahas that he does sit out all year. He will he not get paid a cent, he will find himself a year older, out of football for a year coming off a season in witch he gave up 11.5 sacks. what kinda contract do you think he will get then??

justasportsfan
04-01-2009, 12:14 PM
There is no sit and wait to be traded. Its play or dont get paid. The bills wont find decent compensation for Peters and moving him for less than he is worth is dumb. ??well, we shall see soon enough if the bills trade him before the draft because they can't risk him sitting it out once again and lose the opportunity to use what they can get for him towards a replacement in the draft.

as for 4 million dollars not being a lot of money to Peters, I think your crazy. Sure we don't make millions, but id be willing to bet you don't have to pay a 5 million dollar mortgage. which is why he won't take 4 million until he's paid 11.5 (or close to it I hope)

And lets say for hahas that he does sit out all year. He will he not get paid a cent, he will find himself a year older,??I agree. But I'm almost sure the bills will trade him before that happens. It's not like we're winners that we can do without a player or two. If Peters sits and we didn't trade him that would mean we lost out on Oher or Smith in the draft or we did grab one of them but wasn't able to grab a top DE.

out of football for a year coming off a season in witch he gave up 11.5 sacks.
.........what kinda contract do you think he will get then??

Lets see. What did we pay Wlaker after giving up so many sacks the season prior to bringing him in when he was a raider? We paid that right tackle way more than Peters for giving up sacks too. If you think the bills are blaming Peters for all those sacks then they wouldn't have dumped Dockery.

Mahdi
04-01-2009, 12:52 PM
I understand Peters motivation. But you don't seem to realize he has no say in this matter, WE OWN HIM for 2 more years. And as for his "worth" in the nfl, its obvious that you and I see him as very different players. I feel that he established last year, through his play, that he isnt a top 5 tackle in the league. its obvious you feel different.

The two contracts that keep getting brought up in this saga are Jake Long and Jordan Gross.

Miami was coming off a 1-15 season, they were desperate to sign their draft pick and show the fans they were serious about winning, the fins were also hampered by picking him #1 in the draft. Miami HAD to pay Long that much.

Carolina used its franchise tag on Peppers and Gross was a free agent, they had no way to replace him. Gross had all the leverage in negotiations, thus he got what he wanted.

I agree that we hold most of the cards, but Peters does have some pull. The Bills need consistency on their OL after cutting Dock and a new C coming in.

Plus getting rid of a player that was undrafted and became a Pro Bowler is a tough decision.

OpIv37
04-01-2009, 01:15 PM

I understand the concerns about Cutler, but what exactly makes Trent "solid"? He hasn't proven anything on the field yet, he got rattled by one big hit, he only has 1 or two 2+ TD games in his NFL career, and his decision- making regressed over the course of the season.

Even if the Bills aren't actively looking for a QB, I would hope they are receptive if the right opportunity arises. We can argue all day about whether or not Cutler presents the right opportunity (I honestly think it's a pointless trade without an OL), but there is no reason to be sold on Trent at this point.

imbondz
04-01-2009, 01:55 PM
the Jets can have him. I'll take Edwards over him anyday

The Juice Is Loose
04-01-2009, 04:07 PM
I just want to say 2 things as it pertains to this Cutler vs. Trent thread.

1 - I love Trent, but I think Cutler is better. I had him on my Fantasy team last year, and I have Sunday Ticket, so I watched every game he played in. So, all in all, I'm literally 50/50 on whether I would want to do it. And IMO, if your only 50/50, its not enough to shake things up and pay one guy a large contract.

2 - All the negative talk about Cutler blows my mind. People who knock him have clearly never watched him play. The guy can put it 80 yards in the air, he can stop his throw and recoil and throw with half a delivery, he doesn't take sacks because he makes quick decisions. (Although you all want to put his rookie tackle from last year in the hall of fame) Cutler's performance suffered at the end of the season because Denver was LITERALLY on their 7th running back. There was zero threat of a running game. If there is zero threat of a running game, quarterback is going to suffer.

I honestly think a trade would be good for both players and teams. Cutler is more suited for Buffalo and Trent is more suited for Denver. But like I said, I'm torn and I'm a loyal person, and as far as I'm concerned Trent is the best qb we've had since Jim, and so to change teams and roll the dice like that, would be a big risk, esp for a coach/front office staff that may be on the outs if they don't do really well this season.