• Show
Clear All
  • DynaPaul
    • Sep 2003

Our State is in the tank...

Bills will receive $3 million from state

Jay Gallagher
    Albany Bureau Chief

ALBANY — While the state had to raise taxes on everything from utility bills to car registrations and cut money for health care and education to balance the state budget, a payment of almost $3 million to the Buffalo Bills will be made as usual.

"I understand this may be a contractual obligation,'' said Assemblywoman Nancy Calhoun, R-Blooming Grove, Orange County, who spotted the spending line before it was approved Tuesday by the state Assembly.

But she said it still seemed like an odd way to spend money in tough economic times.

The state is indeed obligated to make the pay-ment, said state Budget Division spokesman Jeffrey Gordon.

He said the deal goes back to 1998, when the state gave the NFL franchise $90 million to help pay for improvements to its stadium in Orchard Park, Erie County. The agreement was sold at the time as necessary to keep the team from moving elsewhere.

Gordon said as part of that deal, the state agreed to pay the club about $3 million annually from 2003 to 2013 to be used for operating expenses.

Otherwise, he said, the team would be free to leave the area.

Buffalo is one of the NFL's smallest markets. The team played one of its eight "home'' games in Toronto last year and is slated to do so again this year, and there have been discussions of playing a second game north of the border as well.

A team spokesman couldn't be reached immediately.
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Re: Our State is in the tank...

Can we shoot this woman?

Comment

• venis2k1
      Youboty can hope
      • Jul 2002

clearly the money would be better spent building the jets a stadium in NYC

Comment

• SABURZFAN
        short bus extraordinaire
        • Jul 2002

Nancy Calhoun
        Originally posted by yordad
        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

I would give the Bills whatever they want. I NEED THE BILLS

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Seeing how the Yankees and Mets are getting 100's of millions to finance their new stadium, I don't want to hear anything from the NYC people. I'm sorry, but the Buffalo Bills are the only team left in New York State. You guys owe us a stadium now too.

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

I think it's funny that over ten years ago RW held the state hostage for long term cash flows with his grandstanding about leaving town....and then he keeps playing the patron saint of buffalo attitude with the fans.

Comment

• ddaryl
                Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                • Jan 2005

How much tax revenue does the Bills create each year ???

I betcha it's more then 3 mil...

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

there you go. The bills found their 3 million thats missing for Peters' salary
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• DynaPaul
                    • Sep 2003

I don't think any sports team should get state revenue. It's called a business!

Comment

• acehole
                      • Jan 2006

Your state is in shambles because it is run by union thugs the mob and the democrat party. What you fail to see is the money the state of NY would lose if the bills where in LA. Which is why all other industries and business move out of NY every chance they get.

Learning is fun.

Originally posted by DevilPaul
                      http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...333/1007/RSS02

Bills will receive $3 million from state

Jay Gallagher
                      Albany Bureau Chief

ALBANY — While the state had to raise taxes on everything from utility bills to car registrations and cut money for health care and education to balance the state budget, a payment of almost $3 million to the Buffalo Bills will be made as usual.

"I understand this may be a contractual obligation,'' said Assemblywoman Nancy Calhoun, R-Blooming Grove, Orange County, who spotted the spending line before it was approved Tuesday by the state Assembly.

But she said it still seemed like an odd way to spend money in tough economic times.

The state is indeed obligated to make the pay-ment, said state Budget Division spokesman Jeffrey Gordon.

He said the deal goes back to 1998, when the state gave the NFL franchise $90 million to help pay for improvements to its stadium in Orchard Park, Erie County. The agreement was sold at the time as necessary to keep the team from moving elsewhere.

Gordon said as part of that deal, the state agreed to pay the club about $3 million annually from 2003 to 2013 to be used for operating expenses.

Otherwise, he said, the team would be free to leave the area.

Buffalo is one of the NFL's smallest markets. The team played one of its eight "home'' games in Toronto last year and is slated to do so again this year, and there have been discussions of playing a second game north of the border as well.

A team spokesman couldn't be reached immediately.
                      Hated by the stupid..
                      Loved by their moms.

Comment

• cocamide
                        • Oct 2006

I'm sure someone on here knows more about this than me, but by taking a look at the Executive Budget for New York in 2010, there's $121.1 billion being spent. That's $121,100 million. The Bills are getting $3 million. That's 3/121100 = %0.002477291 of the total budget and she's gonna ***** about it?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                        X