PDA

View Full Version : McGahee's training secret

HenryRules
05-14-2003, 12:59 PM
Look at how McGahee worked out before his last season at Miami:

Rookie RB Willis McGahee, the team's controversial injured first-round pick, prepared for his junior year at Miami by pulling pickup trucks around a parking lot.

I assume by junior year, they mean sophomore ... but wtf is that ... is he training for the World's Strongest Man or something?

HenryRules
05-14-2003, 01:00 PM
Oops ... forgot the link, here's the story:
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/6367444

Earthquake Enyart
05-14-2003, 01:09 PM
Mike Alstott used to do that at Purdue. He had a Jeep he was always pulling around. If they had him pull the plane instead of those midgets, he'd of kicked that elephants ass.

kgun12
05-14-2003, 01:13 PM
There a workout good for the knee joint!

HenryRules
05-14-2003, 01:29 PM
He didn't blow out his knee because of his workouts, he blew out his knee because the other guy's helmet hit him full bore on the knee cap. Regardless of anyone's workout they would have blown their knee on that play.

Also, I don't see how strengthening the muscles around his joint can do anything but help his knee assuming that he maintains a decent muscle symmetry and does not overtrain the muscles. Taking a look at his legs on tv during the season, I don't see either of those problems being present.

LtBillsFan66
05-14-2003, 01:59 PM
In shout mag, they mentioned that he pushed his brothers truck around the parking lot of his brothers gym.

I'm going to implement that into my training program. I'm going to start light. With Minis. :D

LtBillsFan66
05-14-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
He didn't blow out his knee because of his workouts, he blew out his knee because the other guy's helmet hit him full bore on the knee cap. Regardless of anyone's workout they would have blown their knee on that play.

Right on!

I was thinking this earlier in regards to posts that say he is injury prone. That was a freak hit that caused his injury, not a twist or turn.

BillsNYC
05-14-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

Also, I don't see how strengthening the muscles around his joint can do anything but help his knee assuming that he maintains a decent muscle symmetry and does not overtrain the muscles. Taking a look at his legs on tv during the season, I don't see either of those problems being present.

does anybody remember that we have rusty jones?

Shiny Chicken
05-14-2003, 03:06 PM
oh, and by the way... that wasn't a typo... the guy went eligable after his sophomore year

Shiny Chicken
05-14-2003, 04:59 PM
never mind... I'm not paying attention...

HenryRules
05-14-2003, 05:29 PM
Actually SC, it sort of wasn't a typo. It was his academic junior year, but he redshirted in his academic freshman year, so it was his sophomore year on the team.

Typ0
05-14-2003, 06:24 PM
Why does this kind of thing always get blamed on me?

justasportsfan
05-14-2003, 10:13 PM
Never pull a truck if you had burritos for lunch.