PDA

View Full Version : For all those who said Edwards > Cutler

Yasgur's Farm
04-02-2009, 05:26 PM
How many of you feel that Edwards is worth a pair of 1st's, a 3rd, and Kyle Orton :haha:

Nighthawk
04-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Edwards is NOT better then Cutler...PERIOD! Anybody who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

Philagape
04-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Not that I agree with the premise, but why would a team's trade offer change anyone's opinion?

MikeInRoch
04-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Just because one team was dumb enough to give up that much for Cutler has no bearing on anything.

Yasgur's Farm
04-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Not that I agree with the premise, but why would a team's trade offer change anyone's opinion? I don't look at it as "changing"... "Validation" is more accurate for me.

Philagape
04-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Rephrase: Why would a team's trade offer having any bearing whatsoever?
Were Ricky Williams and Herschel Walker worth what teams gave up for them? Is Matt Cassel worth only what was traded for him?

don137
04-02-2009, 06:01 PM
I think time will tell if Edwards is the better person on this team than Cutler. Cutler comes with baggage based on how he handled this whole event. He could become another Jeff George. Both players have some question marks at this point. I would not give up Edwards and our first for Cutler let alone two first and Edwards.

Pinkerton Security
04-02-2009, 06:16 PM
How many of you feel that Edwards is worth a pair of 1st's, a 3rd, and Kyle Orton :haha:

i know i stuck up for Edwards, but I never said Edwards was better than Cutler, in any way shape or form. All I was trying to get across is that I didnt think it was worth even a first rounder for a modest upgrade.

The Bears got hoodwinked anyways.

jmb1099
04-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Look guys, I am not going to sit here and try and tell anyone Edwards is better than Cutler. But what I will say is that everyone seems to be overlooking the Cutler diabetes issue. Its a huge issue and considering that he has to monitor and regulate his sugar throughout an entire game... I could very well be wrong, but I think his health becomes an issue very quickly. Time will tell.

FlyingDutchman
04-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Bears definately grabbed their ankles on this one. They finally got a QB that they havent had in 20 years, but holy hell they have up a lot

ServoBillieves
04-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Cutler is whiney and flip flopping, and also had some weapons out in Denver. Also, why bring Cutler in to develop new chemistry with the ENTIRE team when Trent only needs to develop new chemistry with one player?

Good for Chicago, woulda been stupid for us.

Romes
04-02-2009, 07:12 PM

So how much better is Cutler than Cassel then if all NE got for him was a 2nd round pick? Using your logic either Cutler is a sure fire Hall of Famer or Cassel is a scrub in comparison to Cutler.

TonyBlack
04-02-2009, 07:34 PM
IF IM A DENVER FAN, I WOULD BE HAPPY MAYBE THEY COULD DRAFT JOSH FREEMAN OR MARK SANCHEZ WHO KNOWS.

TacklingDummy
04-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Bears definately grabbed their ankles on this one. They finally got a QB that they havent had in 20 years, but holy hell they have up a lot

How many years did it take the Bengals to find a franchise QB? Akili Smith, David Klinger, Kitna, Blake, etc...

How many years is it taking Buffalo? AVP, Holcomb, Bledsoe, Losman, Edwards, Hobert, etc...

How many years was it taking the Bears? Miller, Grossman, Griese, Orton, McNown, Matthews, Walsh, Kramer etc...

How many years is it taking Detroit? Orlovsky, Culpepper, Kitna, Mitchell, Harrignton, Batch, Frerotte, Peete, etc...

The price of a franchise QB is never too high.

yordad
04-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Are you not, by definition, worth what one will pay?

yordad
04-02-2009, 08:16 PM
How many years did it take the Bengals to find a franchise QB? Akili Smith, David Klinger, Kitna, Blake, etc...

How many years is it taking Buffalo? AVP, Holcomb, Bledsoe, Losman, Edwards, Hobert, etc...

How many years was it taking the Bears? Miller, Grossman, Griese, Orton, McNown, Matthews, Walsh, Kramer etc...

How many years is it taking Detroit? Orlovsky, Culpepper, Kitna, Mitchell, Harrignton, Batch, Frerotte, Peete, etc...

The price of a franchise QB is never too high.Bledsoe, Rob Johnson, Matt Schaub.... you don't always get a franchise QB.

TacklingDummy
04-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Bledsoe, Rob Johnson, Matt Schaub.... you don't always get a franchise QB.

Bledsoe was old and past his prime.

Johnson/Schaub were one start wonders before their teams conned another team into trading for them. No comparison to Cutler.

yordad
04-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Bledsoe was old and past his prime.

Johnson/Schaub were one start wonders before their teams conned another team into trading for them. No comparison to Cutler.Cutler is not questionless.

Romes
04-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Are you not, by definition, worth what one will pay?

ever heard of bubble markets? or undervalued assests?

This financial crisis should be a perfect example of how things are not always worth what someone will pay for them.

yordad
04-02-2009, 08:50 PM
ever heard of bubble markets? or undervalued assests?

This financial crisis should be a perfect example of how things are not always worth what someone will pay for them.Yeah, speaking of real estate, if you pay more then what the city has the home assessed for, the city will change the assessed value to what you paid.

Unless you are saying Cutlers ails we not disclosed, and you know something they don't.

Romes
04-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah, speaking of real estate, if you pay more then what the city has the home assessed for, the city will change the assessed value to what you paid.

Unless you are saying Cutlers ails we not disclosed, and you know something they don't.

Not saying that Edwards is better than Cutler.

Just saying that using what a team paid for a player is not a good baramoter. People over pay and under pay for things all the time. A player's price is not necessarily equal to his value or worth.

If it does equal his worth, what does the Cutler trade say about Matt Cassel then?

Philagape
04-02-2009, 09:16 PM
It defines a player's worth to that team only, no one else. And just at that time.

It certainly has nothing to do with who's better. (which IMO is Cutler right now)

HHURRICANE
04-02-2009, 09:32 PM
i know i stuck up for Edwards, but I never said Edwards was better than Cutler, in any way shape or form. All I was trying to get across is that I didnt think it was worth even a first rounder for a modest upgrade.

The Bears got hoodwinked anyways.

I'll bet all of my zonebucks that Edwards has the better year if he stays healthy.

yordad
04-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Not saying that Edwards is better than Cutler.

Just saying that using what a team paid for a player is not a good baramoter. People over pay and under pay for things all the time. A player's price is not necessarily equal to his value or worth.

If it does equal his worth, what does the Cutler trade say about Matt Cassel then?That depends, was one willing to pay more for Cassel?

yordad
04-02-2009, 09:35 PM
I'll bet all of my zonebucks that Edwards has the better year if he stays healthy.A better year then what? And, was is the measure?

HHURRICANE
04-02-2009, 09:38 PM
A better year then what? And, was is the measure?

Than Cutler. We can use QB rating.

SABURZFAN
04-02-2009, 09:44 PM
i see the Lossman leftovers are still bitter.

TigerJ
04-02-2009, 10:06 PM
I never said or thought Edwards was better than Cutler. I wasn't particularly enthused with the notion of trading to get Cutler. Part of the reason for that was the cost of getting Cutler. I think Edwards is a good young QB who might get bwetter, and I think it is a better strategy to build the rest of the team right now than switch QBs yet again and sacrifice the building of the team by trading away draft picks

BILLSROCK1212
04-02-2009, 10:15 PM
i think the Broncos won with this deal but McDaniels lost with his brain

TacklingDummy
04-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Cutler is not questionless.

Granted.

But he has a 3 year resume compared to RJ or MS game or 2.

MikeInRoch
04-02-2009, 10:25 PM
A 3 year resume of what, exactly? Missing the postseason? Heck, we've had a lot of guys with that kind of record here...

TacklingDummy
04-02-2009, 10:37 PM
A 3 year resume of what, exactly? Missing the postseason? Heck, we've had a lot of guys with that kind of record here...

37 starts, 9024 yards, 62.5 Comp %, 54 TDs, 37 Ints, sacked only 51 times in 1220 pass attempts.

Compared to RJ's resume before Buffalo traded for him. 1 start, 2 TDs, 3 Ints, 368 yards, 7 sacks in 35 pass attempts. At that rate RJ would have been sacked around 245 times in 1220 pass attempts.

The Bills have had no one with that kind of record around here since Kelly retired.

It's obvious that Cutler is not the main reason Denver has struggled. It's probably their piss poor defense.

SABURZFAN
04-03-2009, 12:07 AM
37 starts, 9024 yards, 62.5 Comp %, 54 TDs, 37 Ints, sacked only 51 times in 1220 pass attempts.

Compared to RJ's resume before Buffalo traded for him. 1 start, 2 TDs, 3 Ints, 368 yards, 7 sacks in 35 pass attempts. At that rate RJ would have been sacked around 245 times in 1220 pass attempts.

The Bills have had no one with that kind of record around here since Kelly retired.

you're going to open up a can of worms with the RJ-Flutie QB controversy. i couldn't stand The Runts fans but you can't argue a 21-9 record as a starter.

DMBcrew36
04-03-2009, 12:24 AM
It's about time the Bears upgraded their QB.

Night Train
04-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Cutler as Starter - 17-20
Orton 21-12

Romes
04-03-2009, 03:22 AM
That depends, was one willing to pay more for Cassel?

So you're conceding that it is possible to under-pay?

Would it then not be logical that someone could also over-pay?

DMBcrew36
04-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Orton 21-12

QB aside, the Bears have fielded a better team than Denver.

trapezeus
04-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Look guys, I am not going to sit here and try and tell anyone Edwards is better than Cutler. But what I will say is that everyone seems to be overlooking the Cutler diabetes issue. Its a huge issue and considering that he has to monitor and regulate his sugar throughout an entire game... I could very well be wrong, but I think his health becomes an issue very quickly. Time will tell.

Totally disagree with this based on the fact my wife has type 1 diabetes. therefore, i feel like i know alittle about this.

He played one season being undiagnosed, which is an incredible feat in itself. Diabetes is easily understood medically, and easily monitored. Last year he played at Pro bowl levels and that was his first year since being diagnosed. For the average person, an insulin pump will regulate your blood sugars just fine and let you be as active as you want to be. For a superstar with trainers, you have to believe that this is barely an issue.

trapezeus
04-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Orton 21-12

is this misleading based on t he defense the broncos have fielded for two straight years versus the defense the bears have fielded? I don't know of specific games, but haven't the bears won low scoring affairs with orton?

trapezeus
04-03-2009, 08:37 AM

Draz, under this logic, what about your boy JP? He came free and the broncos still don't want him.

The bills didn't want to dance, so i'm not sure what your post really means. if the bills offered the same thing and the bears were the winners, then yes, it implies that they like orton over edwards. but the broncos were looking at the Vikings (Jackson and some other guy), bears (orton), tampa (who knows) as the comparable QB's.

HHURRICANE
04-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Edwards will be better than Cutler this year. I'll bet money on it.

Pinkerton Security
04-03-2009, 08:42 AM

i wouldnt be against it. the bears receivers are dreadful, hes not gonna have Marshall to lob it up to, or Royal to get those YAC yards. Hester is an amazing athlete but probably not even as good as Royal as WR.

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah I think that pretty much sums up the Edwards vs Cutler argument. Edwards today is only worth the 3rd rounder we paid for him. Maybe a second.

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Well that's a bold statement considering who they are each throwing to.

Pinkerton Security
04-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Well that's a bold statement considering who they are each throwing to.

if cutler is that much better than Trent, it shouldnt have that much of an impact. Look at what Brady did with mediocre receivers before Moss and Welker came around.

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 09:03 AM
if cutler is that much better than Trent, it shouldnt have that much of an impact. Look at what Brady did with mediocre receivers before Moss and Welker came around.
Yeah he won football games, but its not like he put up crazy numbers. Not till Moss got there.

yordad
04-03-2009, 09:11 AM
So you're conceding that it is possible to under-pay?

Would it then not be logical that someone could also over-pay?I said...

Are you not, by definition, worth what one will pay?I won't pay 60 grand for a lexus. Doesn't that make it not worth 60 grand? No, just means I would rather have a Jeep Wrangler. How many people have to be willing to buy, to make a "worth"? If there is only one of the product, you just need one willing buyer.

Pinkerton Security
04-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Yeah he won football games, but its not like he put up crazy numbers. Not till Moss got there.

4110 yards is pretty decent, with Brown, Givens Branch in '05.

But yeah, I agree with your basic premise, Edwards has more weapons than Cutler now, the Bears WRs are some of the worst in the NFL.

TacklingDummy
04-03-2009, 09:25 AM
But yeah, I agree with your basic premise, Edwards has more weapons than Cutler now, the Bears WRs are some of the worst in the NFL. Not only that but how do you define who had the better year? Is it passer rating, yards, comp. %, TD passes, INTs, the teams W/L record.

psubills62
04-03-2009, 09:48 AM
So how much better is Cutler than Cassel then if all NE got for him was a 2nd round pick? Using your logic either Cutler is a sure fire Hall of Famer or Cassel is a scrub in comparison to Cutler.

I'm personally not very high on Cassel and I don't get why people think he's awesome all of a sudden. He had a league-high 55% of his passing yards come from YAC, and over 80% of his passes towards the end of the season came from shotgun. Basically, they went to a spread offense so he could perform well.

psubills62
04-03-2009, 09:50 AM
4110 yards is pretty decent, with Brown, Givens Branch in '05.

But yeah, I agree with your basic premise, Edwards has more weapons than Cutler now, the Bears WRs are some of the worst in the NFL.

They have Greg Olsen. Hester is decent, though not great. Don't count out Jay Cutler's old teammate, Earl Bennett. It's also a deep WR draft, so we'll see what happens.

Pinkerton Security
04-03-2009, 10:18 AM
They have Greg Olsen. Hester is decent, though not great. Don't count out Jay Cutler's old teammate, Earl Bennett. It's also a deep WR draft, so we'll see what happens.
Thats all well and fine, but Rashied Davis and Devin Hester as your two starting WR's is not good, no matter who your TE is.

justasportsfan
04-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Just because one team was dumb enough to give up that much for Cutler has no bearing on anything.

I wouldn't say it was dumb until we see the reults of the trade in maybe a year or two. Chicago's O vs. the bills O should be interesting.