PDA

View Full Version : If Peters is traded what should

Bmax
04-02-2009, 11:30 PM
We get for him ?

I say at least a 1st and a 4th or 5th nothing less.

Thoughts ?

Bmax

bflojohn
04-02-2009, 11:45 PM
I'd say that getting closer to the draft date itself will help "drum up" business, and that's when the Bills should dangle him, IF he is, indeed, being shopped! Also, teams like Oakland, Detroit, Phiadelphia, Seattle, and maybe Saint Louis could ALL be vying for his talents at OLT. I'd drive a real hard bargain if it were me!!! The more competition for his services the better.....

SABURZFAN
04-02-2009, 11:59 PM
i would be happy if they got a 1st and 3rd. i wouldn't be happy trading Peters but i'm not into the contract dispute BS. we've had enough headaches in the past decade and i'm getting too old for this ****.

clumping platelets
04-03-2009, 12:02 AM
I want a 1st, player, pick in 2010

Pinkerton Security
04-03-2009, 12:03 AM
i would be happy if they got a 1st and 3rd. i wouldn't be happy trading Peters but i'm not into the contract dispute BS. we've had enough headaches in the past decade and i'm getting too old for this ****.

true dat broseph. My sentiments exactly.

jamze132
04-03-2009, 12:22 AM
I think we should pay him.

don137
04-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Based on his play last year I have no idea how Peters thinks he is the best tackle in the game. The guy is more consumed by the notion he should be paid the highest salary for tackles. It truly has hurt the Bills planning for the draft. I am sick of his act. With Pace signing with Chicago I say unload him to Philly for a first and 3rd. Draft the best tackle at 11 and then address another need with the Philly pick.

alohabillsfan
04-03-2009, 06:23 AM
I would take both of Phillys first rounders, which is what it would take for them to move up to get a ntop LT, except Peters is proven!

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 07:24 AM
We get for him ?

Thoughts ?

Bmax
The way I figure it ... he's a top 3 LT which means he's worth at least 2 first round picks. We dont value Peters as much as the rest of the NFL does. We being many on this board not including me.

The better question is, how much would you pay for Walter Jones at age 27. Answer is probably 2 first round picks.

DraftBoy
04-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Gotta get at least franchise tag comp which is a 1st and a 3rd, but likely you want 1st, 3rd in 09 and another mid pick in 2010.

SABURZFAN
04-03-2009, 07:33 AM
The way I figure it ... he's a top 3 LT which means he's worth at least 2 first round picks. We dont value Peters as much as the rest of the NFL does. We being many on this board not including me.

The better question is, how much would you pay for Walter Jones at age 27. Answer is probably 2 first round picks.

i think Peters gave up more sacks last season than Walter Jones has in his career.

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 07:38 AM
i think Peters gave up more sacks last season than Walter Jones has in his career.
An example of how we believe everyone else' stuff is better than ours....

Walter Jones allowed 10.5 sacks in 2006. I highly doubt anyone thought less of him cause he had an off year.

Peters possesses all the skills Walter does and you dont give that away. In fact you dont give that up for anything.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=3949&team=26

TacklingDummy
04-03-2009, 07:41 AM

1st and 3rd, even if the Bills have to toss in a 4th.

SABURZFAN
04-03-2009, 07:46 AM

Walter Jones allowed 10.5 sacks in 2006. I highly doubt anyone thought less of him cause he had an off year.

Peters possesses all the skills Walter does and you dont give that away. In fact you dont give that up for anything.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=3949&team=26

Jones will be in the HOF, Peters won't be.

i'm sure there were a few chicken littles.

we'll see if you change your attitude if he holds out again.

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Jones will be in the HOF, Peters won't be.

i'm sure there were a few chicken littles.

we'll see if you change your attitude if he holds out again.
Actually I wont change my attitude... if he doesn't get the contract he deserves I'll support his holdout.

And for the record Peters has the ability and the work ethic to make the HOF, and having 2 pro bowls in the bag already is a pretty good start.

Tatonka
04-03-2009, 07:54 AM

you mean like with aaron schobel?

:D:

Tatonka
04-03-2009, 07:55 AM
i want philly's 2 first rounders.

if someone else is in it..

i want a 1st, a player, and a 2010 3rd.

SABURZFAN
Actually I wont change my attitude... if he doesn't get the contract he deserves I'll support his holdout.

And for the record Peters has the ability and the work ethic to make the HOF, and having 2 pro bowls in the bag already is a pretty good start.

he has a long way to go before he's standing shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Jackie Slater and Anthony Munoz.

TacklingDummy

2 years left on his renegotiated deal.

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 07:58 AM
you mean like with aaron schobel?

:D:
Thats the opposite... thats when we believe our stuff is so good when its really just average.

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 07:59 AM
2 years left on his renegotiated deal.
Yeah so does Anquan Boldin. But we were hoping to trade for him not too long ago. In fact the situations of Peters and Boldin are exactly the same.

But Boldin is a good guy and Peters is evil.

TacklingDummy
04-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Thats the opposite... thats when we believe our stuff is so good when its really just average.

You mean like Lynch, Peters, Whitner, etc...

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 08:04 AM
You mean like Lynch, Peters, Whitner, etc...
I dont know what your deal is with Lynch.... Guy has a very particular skill set that not many RBs in the league have.... one of the best blends of speed, power and elusiveness in the NFL. If he only had a OL to open a hole for him he might do some special things.

yordad
04-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Where the hack were you guys when I argued with Pat Moran for 5 pages when he tried telling me the Bills won't even get a 1st for Peters if they wanted to trade him?

yordad
04-03-2009, 08:14 AM
I dont know what your deal is with Lynch.... Guy has a very particular skill set that not many RBs in the league have.... one of the best blends of speed, power and elusiveness in the NFL. If he only had a OL to open a hole for him he might do some special things.Yeah TD, Lynch is the friggin man!

ddaryl
04-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Where the hack were you guys when I argued with Pat Moran for 5 pages when he tried telling me the Bills won't even get a 1st for Peters if they wanted to trade him?

Personally I just say my peace and let others debate about it for 5 pages.

People have opinions and it doesn't matter how long you debate it 90% of the time people still keep their opinions.

as far as I'm concerned.. if the Bills trade Peters it has to be for MORE then just a 1st rd pick. Otherwise i would do what I've been saying regardless. Take the best T @ 11. Oher and Smith can also play G, but if Peters holdsout we will have players on the roster to better help us deal with that. If Peters comes to his senses and signs we have a rock solid OL. If Peters decides not to hold out and continue negotiating like Lee did last year were equally in excellent shape.

The OL IMO right now is our biggest need by a long shot, I beleive this to be true wehter we sign Peters or not. We have a huge hole at LG and question marks at C and depth.

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 08:28 AM
:movie:

ddaryl
04-03-2009, 08:44 AM

for the record is the 8.5 mil - 9 mil contract the Bills have on the table what he deserves is your opinion.

Because that's my hang-up. The 8.5 - 9 mil the Bills have on the table is exactly what Peters deserves, and him holding the team hostage for more is exactly why I am not supporting him. The offer on the table is good enough

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 09:00 AM
for the record is the 8.5 mil - 9 mil contract the Bills have on the table what he deserves is your opinion.

Because that's my hang-up. The 8.5 - 9 mil the Bills have on the table is exactly what Peters deserves, and him holding the team hostage for more is exactly why I am not supporting him. The offer on the table is good enough
I dont think its enough. I think he is way more talented and athletic than Jordan Gross. I think he can do more for you than Gross can and I think NFL GMs would value Peters much more than they would Gross especially when you factor in age.

Peters is worth as much or more than Gross is. Just because he had an off year it doesn't diminish what he is. And what happens next year when Peters returns to form and destorys things. Would it be fair to once again ask for a raise since he got less than what he should have by accepting a 8 million a year contract?

By asking for what he is truly worth this year, he is avoiding having to ask for another raise next year.

We have all seen what Peters is capable of so pretending like what he did last year in the first half of the season is what he truly is makes no sense.

psubills62
04-03-2009, 09:19 AM
I dont think its enough. I think he is way more talented and athletic than Jordan Gross. I think he can do more for you than Gross can and I think NFL GMs would value Peters much more than they would Gross especially when you factor in age.

Peters is worth as much or more than Gross is. Just because he had an off year it doesn't diminish what he is. And what happens next year when Peters returns to form and destorys things. Would it be fair to once again ask for a raise since he got less than what he should have by accepting a 8 million a year contract?

By asking for what he is truly worth this year, he is avoiding having to ask for another raise next year.

We have all seen what Peters is capable of so pretending like what he did last year in the first half of the season is what he truly is makes no sense.

Just because Gross got 10 million per year doesn't mean he's necessarily worth that much. He had 50 times more leverage over Carolina than what Peters has over Buffalo. Gross knew they wanted to sign him and tag Peppers.

I know those arguments don't hold much water when discussing new contracts, but Gross did an excellent job at LT last year. Whether or not Peters is more athletic is moot....if Gross simply plays better than Peters does, he's worth more.

The problem is that while Peters may be capable of more, what guarantee is there that he'll actually play that way throughout the season? He had all the motivation in the world to play well last year, and while we may disagree on how well he actually performed, he certainly didn't perform at a high level consistently.

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 09:24 AM
He had played at an extremely high level though. And to Peters and their agent they are trying to get what he is actually worth not what he can leverage.

The way Peters sees it... he earned it in 2007 and he tried to get a contract done then... The Bills wanted to wait... now contracts are more expensive AND a player less talented than him just cashed in. In his and his agent's mind he deserves more and I dont blame them.

psubills62
04-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Yeah so does Anquan Boldin. But we were hoping to trade for him not too long ago. In fact the situations of Peters and Boldin are exactly the same.

But Boldin is a good guy and Peters is evil.

Big difference. Boldin didn't hold out and hurt his team. Heck, he played through injuries for the Cardinals. Huge difference. Boldin was still a solid team player, even though it was well known that he wanted a new contract. He still went out and did his job from Day 1. Can't say the same about Peters. Apples and oranges...

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Big difference. Boldin didn't hold out and hurt his team. Heck, he played through injuries for the Cardinals. Huge difference. Boldin was still a solid team player, even though it was well known that he wanted a new contract. He still went out and did his job from Day 1. Can't say the same about Peters. Apples and oranges...
Every player goes about their business differently. Fact is, Boldin was angling for a trade last year and he is again this year.

At least Peters is saying he wants to be a Bill. Apples and oranges.

psubills62
04-03-2009, 09:31 AM
He had played at an extremely high level though. And to Peters and their agent they are trying to get what he is actually worth not what he can leverage.

The way Peters sees it... he earned it in 2007 and he tried to get a contract done then... The Bills wanted to wait... now contracts are more expensive AND a player less talented than him just cashed in. In his and his agent's mind he deserves more and I dont blame them.

I don't agree that he played at an extremely high level, but I believe we've discussed this before, so we don't need to go through it again.

It's all about leverage though. Does anyone think Bernard Berrian was worth 7 million per year? How many people actually think Lee Evans is worth 9-10 million per year? They had the leverage. Contracts are almost all about leverage, and Peters and his agent have very little, especially now that the Bills could draft an OT to replace him if he holds out.

Peters and his agent may be seeing huge dollar signs in their dreams, but just because that's what they want doesn't mean that's what they get. He's under contract for two more years (three or four, depending on the use of the franchise tag), so if he really wants TOP left tackle money, he may have to wait a little while. Because I seriously doubt the Bills believe he's actually worth what he thinks he is.

TacklingDummy
04-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Boldin is a superstar WR that changes games and defensive have to plan for.

The only game Peters changed last year was the Jets game where he got Losman killed.

psubills62
04-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Every player goes about their business differently. Fact is, Boldin was angling for a trade last year and he is again this year.

At least Peters is saying he wants to be a Bill. Apples and oranges.

So in the end, who hurts the team more? A player who doesn't go to practice, doesn't talk to many players on the team, someone who arrives in Buffalo out of shape and takes a few games to "get back to form," or someone like Boldin, who publicly says he wants to be traded, but goes to camps, goes to practice, stays in shape, and does his job?

I'd take a team full of Boldin's over Peters any day. Boldin knows that the business aspect can be separate from what he does on the field.

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Boldin is a superstar WR that changes games and defensive have to plan for.

The only game Peters changed last year was the Jets game where he got Losman killed.
You gotta be kidding me.... now the sack on Losman was Peters fault? thats a joke. You lose credibility with comments like that man.

venis2k1
04-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Peters and Gross are apples and oranges. Gross was a FA. players get huge money in Free Agency. Peters is under contract for 2 more years. If he wants his 20 million dollar signing bonus this year, he will have to sign for less than what he would make on the open market. Otherwise he will have to wait till his current contract is up.

Having said that, I see peters getting resigned here in a couple of weeks for about 9 mill a year. Last year when he played his crybaby act, there was no new contract on the table. This year he is gonna have to walk away from good money to act like a little girl. Right now he is trying to finagle more money from the bills. If they are smart, and history shows that they are not, They will stand pat and play hardball with peters. I personally think 9 Million a year is very generous for peters, prolly more than hes worth.

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 09:37 AM
So in the end, who hurts the team more? A player who doesn't go to practice, doesn't talk to many players on the team, someone who arrives in Buffalo out of shape and takes a few games to "get back to form," or someone like Boldin, who publicly says he wants to be traded, but goes to camps, goes to practice, stays in shape, and does his job?

I'd take a team full of Boldin's over Peters any day. Boldin knows that the business aspect can be separate from what he does on the field.
You say this as if Peters' has held out several years in a row. (Walter Jones). He has done it once and is trying to work out a deal now.

TigerJ
04-03-2009, 09:39 AM
That's just about my position.

psubills62
04-03-2009, 09:41 AM
You say this as if Peters' has held out several years in a row. (Walter Jones). He has done it once and is trying to work out a deal now.

He chose one of the worst offseasons to do it in, too. Everyone knows how many people were expecting the Bills to get to the playoffs last year, but suddenly he decides that his paycheck is worth more than the team's success...it's no wonder most people want to see him gone.

And how do you know he won't hold out again this year?

TacklingDummy
04-03-2009, 09:46 AM
You gotta be kidding me.... now the sack on Losman was Peters fault? thats a joke. You lose credibility with comments like that man.

Watch the replay, watch the wonderful "block" Peters puts on Elam. Highest paid LT in the league for that kind of effort and block, I don't think so.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80d4ac83

venis2k1
04-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Watch the replay, watch the wonderful "block" Peters puts on Elam. Highest paid LT in the league for that kind of effort and block, I don't think so.

Its not like that was an important play or anything...at least peters tried to recover the ball or make a tackle.

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 09:51 AM

Can't watch it here. But I do know that it was Elam the safety that had the sack. Elam was sent on a blitz, so he was probably free.

yordad
04-03-2009, 09:52 AM

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80d4ac83I think I am going to thank you every time you post this.

TacklingDummy
04-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Its not like that was an important play or anything...at least peters tried to recover the ball or make a tackle. haha, 10 yards away?

TacklingDummy
04-03-2009, 09:53 AM
I think I am going to thank you every time you post this.Thank Mikey82, he was first to post the masterpiece.

venis2k1
04-03-2009, 09:55 AM
haha, 10 yards away?

The guy that ran right past him had no trouble getting to the ball, and 2 other bills offensive lineman, that were busy blocking mind you, also showed some sort of effort to atlest tackle the player.

FlyingDutchman
04-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Can't watch it here. But I do know that it was Elam the safety that had the sack. Elam was sent on a blitz, so he was probably free.

It was Peters assignment, he blew it hard and didnt even get an arm on the guy. Thats one loss that can be pretty much chalked up to Peters, and if we werent able to comeback against the Jags, that would have been two games lost bc of "the best LT" in the game.

FlyingDutchman
04-03-2009, 10:31 AM
best case scenerio is for Detroit to go with Stafford at 1, and trade for Peters with their 2nd, 1st round pick. We should be able to grab 3rd as well.

justasportsfan
04-03-2009, 10:42 AM
We get for him ?

Thoughts ?

Bmax
not enough.

justasportsfan
04-03-2009, 11:01 AM
I would take both of Phillys first rounders, which is what it would take for them to move up to get a ntop LT, except Peters is proven!
IF the eagles do this then you know the difference between a winning team and a bills team.

A team that's been to the sb and playoffs several times is doing what it must to get back into the sb while the other loser team is a loser because it won't pay it's top players and would rather go the cheap route by rebuilding and paying rookies. Once those rookies become proven then they get rid of them again and start rebuilding.

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 11:06 AM
IF the eagles do this then you know the difference between a winning team and a bills team.

A team that's been to the sb and playoffs several times is doing what it must to get back into the sb while the other loser team is a loser because it won't pay it's top players and would rather go the cheap route by rebuilding and paying rookies. Once those rookies become proven then they get rid of them again and start rebuilding.
Only the Buffalo Bills would give away a player that has become top 3 at his position who they groomed from an undrafted FA.

But that is premature cause they are still working on keeping him.

justasportsfan
04-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Only the Buffalo Bills would give away a player that has become top 3 at his position who they groomed from an undrafted FA.

But that is premature cause they are still working on keeping him.

Well we got rid of Pat Williams who was undrafted too. Winfield we groomed . We all thought both cost too much when they hit FA but at least we got something in return for Winfield but that didn't translate to grabbing any player that would take us to the playoffs.

Clements was overrated and wasn't worth what SF is paying him but we screwed up and got nothing for him.

MY worry is that if we get rid of Peters, who's to say this staff won't end up using it in drafting another McCargo. I have a liitle bit more faith if Modrak has more say than he did in the past but it's still doesn't GUARANTEE that pick would be as proven as Peters down the road.

TacklingDummy
04-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Well we got rid of Pat Williams who was undrafted too. Winfield we groomed . We all thought both cost too much when they hit FA but at least we got something in return for Winfield but that didn't translate to grabbing any player that would take us to the playoffs.

Clements was overrated and wasn't worth what SF is paying him but we screwed up and got nothing for him.

The Bills also got rid of Jay Riemersma, Dusty Zeigler, Sean Moran, Matt Stevens, Gabe Northern, Jamie Nails, Marcellus Wiley, Sam Cowart, Robert Hicks, Peerless Price, Shawn Bryson, Keith Newman, Travis Tillman, Erik Flowers, Travis Henry, Jonas Jennings, Brandon Spoon, Tim Anderson, etc... I could go on and on and on.

If it's one thing the Bills have been good at it's letting players walk. There is always the exceptions, Pat Williams, Winfield, that's about it.

With Peters recent injury history it might be another reason to ship the guy else where and to get what they can for him.

justasportsfan
04-03-2009, 12:04 PM
The Bills also got rid of Jay Riemersma, Dusty Zeigler, Sean Moran, Matt Stevens, Gabe Northern, Jamie Nails, Marcellus Wiley, Sam Cowart, Robert Hicks, Peerless Price, Shawn Bryson, Keith Newman, Travis Tillman, Erik Flowers, Travis Henry, Jonas Jennings, Brandon Spoon, Tim Anderson, etc... I could go on and on and on.

If it's one thing the Bills have been good at it's letting players walk. There is always the exceptions, Pat Williams, Winfield, that's about it.

With Peters recent injury history it might be another reason to ship the guy else where and to get what they can for him.

the difference is, Peters is a top player at his position compared to the ones you pointed out whicjh is why I picked Pat Williams and Winfield because they were also top players. . We have an unproven qb that needs protection . Since you keep implying this team has no talent, point out to me who is a PROVEN lt out there that is PROVEN to be better than Peters?

Okay lets leave out past players and stick with what this staff has done since they've been here. 7-9,7-9,7-9. best O finish last year, 25th . please feel free to continue.

don137
04-03-2009, 12:50 PM

What do you base your opinion that Peters is worth much more than Gross? Despite being a die hard Bills fan I have season tickets tickets to the Panthers because I love football and live in Charlotte. as a result I have seen both play a lot. If I had to choose between the two I would take Gross. Gross does not make as many mistakes as Peters other than too many false starts. Sure Peters can lay a more vicious block but Gross is more consistent not to mention much more intelligent and a much better leader. I would take Gross over Peters if I had a choice as to who play left tackle for Buffalo. Also, Peter is only 18 months younger than Gross.

ddaryl
04-03-2009, 01:12 PM

you need to watch that play over and over again... Peters clealry half assed that block, and IMO is just as guilty as JP on that play.. In fact if Peters makes the block the play never happens. That replay alone dictates that Peters does not deserve to be the highest paid LT in the game, because he clearly is not and no argument can change that because I am sure we can dig up quite a few Peters whiffs in 2008.

again there not one single argument from any single person on any forum that I have read that justifies Peter as the highest paid LT in this game. If he wants to be the highest paid LT in this game then he'll have to wait untill 2011 when he is a UFA, but he is under contract for 2 more years so he should be happy to get the generous raise the Bills have offered. Peters is clealry more interested in the 2 birds in the bush, rather then one in his hand, and that makes no sense whatsoever.

If he wants to significantly upgrade his present contract and have a considerable amount of more money guarenteed that will set im up for life he needs to accept the deal on the table. BUT if he demands, insists, and tries to hold the team hostage because he thinks he has to be the highest paid LT in the game even though he has 2 years left on an existing deal, well then let him play out his contract, and franchise him in 2011.

Peters hold NO CARDS here, and he shouldn't even be thinking highest paid LT, and just knowing a few of you accept this is laughable and completely rediculous at the highest level of rediculous-dom. UFA's who have multipel years of game changing plays on their resume get highest paid contracts. Peters had a very off year in 2008. The video above is a game changing play but not the kind that warrants 12 million a friggin season

I am 100% against trading Peters. I would rahter us draft his possible replacement, keep the exisitng offer on the table and let Peters decides if he wants ot play the next 2 years on his exisitng deal or sign the deal we offered him and be set for life.

Only a complete moron would play under the old deal with the significant amount of money the Bills have offered him, so in the end if the Bills hold steady peters will sign, otherwise his career will be jepordized because he either gets injured and never gets another contract offer like the Bills have offered him, or he holds out and doesn't show up till week 10 for the next 2 years and doesn't get to see the field much, or he plays the last 2 years only to be franchised by the Bills anyway, that is if he is even worth franchising at that point.

Mahdi
04-03-2009, 04:28 PM

I dont see anything wrong with that play at all. DB blitzes are a regular part of the game and any LT would have struggled to block a tiny DB coming around the edge. As for hustling to the football after the fumble. He tried to get there and wasn't fast enough. He's not a WR and the fumble occurred on the opposite side of the field. You guys are grasping at straws.

yordad
04-03-2009, 04:39 PM
I dont see anything wrong with that play at all. DB blitzes are a regular part of the game and any LT would have struggled to block a tiny DB coming around the edge. As for hustling to the football after the fumble. He tried to get there and wasn't fast enough. He's not a WR and the fumble occurred on the opposite side of the field. You guys are grasping at straws.lol

Mitchell55
04-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Cutler is basically the Peters of QBs. Both think they are the best, both want to be treated like they are the best, both are top 5 players at there position, both are young and have just as much upside as down. Well after that id say with what cutler was treated with that Philly offer seems pretty reasonable. But to be more realistic. Phillys 1st (1st pick) and 2nd round pick for 5th and Peters.