PDA

View Full Version : Scheffler Next?

CAbills
04-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Earlier this week, when asked about his thoughts on Jay Cutler officially being on the trading block, Denver Broncos tight end Tony Scheffler told the Denver Post, "I'm not happy about it." When asked to respond yesterday to the news that one of his best friends on the team had been traded to the Chicago Bears, Scheffler told the Post, "Good for Jay. We'll see how it turns out."

Strangely enough, Scheffler may get a closer look at "how it turns out" than he realizes. Among the teams rumored to be on the hunt for a pass-catching tight end this offseason are the Buffalo Bills. While it would be over a 500-mile journey from Orchard Park, NY to Chicago, he'd be closer than if he stayed in Denver. A report by Pro Football Weekly from last week indicated that the Broncos were entertaining offers for Scheffler and although he wasn't officially on the trading block, he was a player that another team could acquire if the price was right.

The Bills are amongst the teams that hosted Oklahoma State's Brandon Pettigrew for a visit earlier this month, a player who is expected to land somewhere in the first round of the draft. But the Bills have arguably a greater need for a pass-rusher, and it might make more sense to try to swing a trade for Scheffler and take a defensive end like Aaron Maybin or Everette Brown at No. 11.

Have at it.

yordad
04-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Well I agree. Not to repost my post, but I think we can dupe the Broncos into swapping our first round picks (11 for 12) and getting Scheffler out of the deal.

homeslice5484
04-03-2009, 11:55 AM
get it done...why rely on a rookie when you can get a guy who is already ready? Not like we wont be using a pick on a raw TE anyways.

Ed
04-03-2009, 12:00 PM
What would it realistically take to get Scheffler? Would a 4th be enough? Not sure I'd want to trade much more. Maybe a third, but I don't know if he's really that good.

DraftBoy
04-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Pass

psubills62
04-03-2009, 12:02 PM
What would it realistically take to get Scheffler? Would a 4th be enough? Not sure I'd want to trade much more. Maybe a third, but I don't know if he's really that good.

I kind of wonder if we could trade a 6th this year and a fourth next year that may reach a third depending on Scheffler's performance. I'm completely guessing though, he could be worth much more than that.

Nighthawk
04-03-2009, 12:10 PM
I could careless if we got him or not. There are a TON of TE's in this draft that would fit what the Bills need.

Patti120
04-03-2009, 12:22 PM
This would make Clump very happy. The only thing that worries me about this guy is that he seems to have trouble staying healthy.

jimbohastle51
04-03-2009, 12:33 PM
i think we are going to get him and i think its going to be for a 3rd round pick. or mcargo and a 4th. mcargo might do better in a 3-4 as he is quick enough to play end in a 3-4 like a corey williams.

psubills62
04-03-2009, 12:35 PM
i think we are going to get him and i think its going to be for a 3rd round pick. or mcargo and a 4th. mcargo might do better in a 3-4 as he is quick enough to play end in a 3-4 like a corey williams.

The same Corey Williams that struggled in a 3-4 with the Browns last year?

justasportsfan
04-03-2009, 12:35 PM
the only way we get him is if Russ got a text from Trent.

venis2k1
04-03-2009, 12:42 PM
the only way we get him is if Russ got a text from Trent.

Thats how we got Fitzpatrick. Trents smarter than he looks.

justasportsfan
04-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Thats how we got Fitzpatrick. that looks more like a Turk text. "Fitz won't blame me if the O sucks"

patmoran2006
04-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Well I agree. Not to repost my post, but I think we can dupe the Broncos into swapping our first round picks (11 for 12) and getting Scheffler out of the deal.
The only way I could possibly seeing that happen was if Sanchez or Stafford was on the board at #11 and Denver really wanted them.. Or maybe the huge DT they need Raji.

Otherwise, I could see a team leapfrogging Buffalo to move up to 10 for a QB (though I think Denver will roll with Orton)-- SF would be a prime candidate to move down (I think anyway)

thenry20
04-03-2009, 08:32 PM
If we don't get him from Denver, I pray we don't draft a TE with our first. We've got other pressing needs. I'd rather have an impact D-lineman or OG; an OLB third.

jimbohastle51
04-03-2009, 08:50 PM
if we draft ayers or pettigrew it is because we traded down. i am pretty confident we are drafting maualuga but possibly matthews jr, or cushing. but i have a realiable "friend" who says the bills are prepared to take maualuga over any of the premier D end prospects.

Mitchell55
04-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Pass

Better than Pettigrew, Coffeman, and Nelson. Only draft player I would take over him is Cook or next years Gresham.

jimbohastle51
04-03-2009, 08:55 PM
honestly i would be all for signing wrighster to be our blocking TE and trading a 3rd for scheffler and keep fine. that would be 3 solid TE's, though i could not stand if we signed wrighster to be our starter, because he is way to slow and not a great pass catcher.

Mitchell55
04-03-2009, 08:57 PM
honestly i would be all for signing wrighster to be our blocking TE and trading a 3rd for scheffler and keep fine. that would be 3 solid TE's, though i could not stand if we signed wrighster to be our starter, because he is way to slow and not a great pass catcher.

It would be better if Wrighster was a blocking TE. Hes a was more of a recieving TE in Jacksonville.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-03-2009, 09:05 PM
"friend" who says the bills are prepared to take maualuga over any of the premier D end prospects.

I'd be so down with that our front 7 sucked in general, and he's a playmaker that it desperatly needs. Him, Raji or Brown have to be the pick.

Oaf
04-03-2009, 09:11 PM
I could careless if we got him or not. There are a TON of TE's in this draft that would fit what the Bills need.
But we have a TON of needs. Any chance the Broncos would be interested a high caliber player like Chris Kelsay or Keith Ellison?

Or both? :D

jimbohastle51
04-03-2009, 10:19 PM
But we have a TON of needs. Any chance the Broncos would be interested a high caliber player like Chris Kelsay or Keith Ellison?

Or both? :D

awesome :)

Night Train
04-04-2009, 05:21 AM
Isn't he All-Whirlpool most every year ?

Why do we want a player who can't stay healthy ? Is his agent Jonas Jennings ?

venis2k1
04-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Isn't he All-Whirlpool most every year ?

Why do we want a player who can't stay healthy ? Is his agent Jonas Jennings ?

So someone can keep trent company.

HHURRICANE
04-04-2009, 07:59 AM

You don't really feel this way. You are too good a poster for this comment.

Scheffler is a slam dunk which can't be said for any player coming out of a draft.

Plus any weapon of offense is going to spend their rookie season learning instead of making plays.

A DE for the most part is plug and play.

HHURRICANE
04-04-2009, 08:00 AM
If we get Scheffler our off-season goes from C- to a B+!!

SABURZFAN
04-04-2009, 08:05 AM

i was thinking a 4th Rounder because of his injury problems. i don't think Denver would go for swapping 1st Rounders.

Michael82
04-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Come on Russ! He would be a great pickup. :pray:

jaycorp51
04-04-2009, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to giving up a 4th rounder for Scheffler. I like Pettigrew's blocking ability and he seems like a decent playmaker, but I just have a hard time picking him at 11.

Bert102176
04-04-2009, 02:34 PM
if we trade for a TE I want Owen Daniels

Nighthawk
04-04-2009, 03:15 PM
You don't really feel this way. You are too good a poster for this comment.

Scheffler is a slam dunk which can't be said for any player coming out of a draft.

Plus any weapon of offense is going to spend their rookie season learning instead of making plays.

A DE for the most part is plug and play.

Would I hate it if they got him...no...if the price was right. The most I would be willing to give up for him would be a 4th.

On the other hand, am I really being realistic thinking the Bills actually know what they're doing and will take one of the TE's that would help us in the draft? Ehhh...now that is the real question.