PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Lecter's Bills Big Board

Dr. Lecter
04-04-2009, 03:28 PM
I know all of you have been awaiting this prized list. Simply put, it is the top 11 players in the draft for our beloved Buffalo Bills. Using my own secret balance of figuring out need and a player's talent and ability, I have carefully developed this list. Unless the Bills trade down, they should draft one of these 11 players, regardless of how the top 10 teams draft.

I am also assuming Jason Peters is still a member of this team. Get it done guys. 5 or 6 years at 10.5 million per.

So, without further ado, here is the list of all lists for the Bills to follow on draft day. Russ, if you are reading this, you are welcome.

1. Aaron Curry, LB Wake Forest - This is a no brainer. He is the best player in the draft. OLB is an area of need for the Bills. He is highly unlikely to be there at #11. In fact it is nearly impossible for him to be there. But, if he is, it will be a simple choice for the Bills to make. The need to run to the draft table like George Costanza escaping a fire at a Senior Citizen's home.

2. Jason Smith, OT Baylor - If Peters is here, this is not a huge need, but this guy is too good to pass up. Playing him at RT makes this line potentially dominant at the edges. Regardless, an O-lineman with his ability is a guy you find room for. Of course, he won't be there as the Lions or Rams will take him.

3. Michael Crabtree, WR Texas tech - He was #2 on my first (unposted) list, but the arrival of TO knocks him down one spot. Still, his pure talent in not in question. A line-up of Evans, TO, Crabtree, Reed, Parrish and Johnson is great and in a year Hardy will be more ready.

4. Eugene Monroe, OT Virginia. - Similar to Jason Smith, his talent is hard to pass up if he is available at #11. I doubt like hell he will be though.

5. Brian Orakpo, DE Texas - The first guy on my list that might be there at #11. He has talent. Does he have the dedication? Can he play DE in a 4-3 NFL scheme? If those answers are yes, he is a great pick for the Bills.

6. BJ Raji, DT Boston College - He and Orakpo are a coin flip for me. Great talent. He would make the Bills DT rotation very good with Raji, Stroud, Williams and Johnson. And if McCargo shows up to play, that allows Johnson to play more DE. The biggest concerns are the drug issues. What is the truth? Can he keep his use under control? What does Goodell think of his usage?

7. Andre Smith, OT Alabama - What a great talent. Perhaps more talent than the other two OTs already mentioned. He is also a possible headcase. Still, he can't be discounted. He can play other positions on the line. And so athletic. I would not be unhappy with Andre Smith as a Buffalo Bill.

8. Matt Stafford, QB Georgia. - Yeah, I know. The Bills have Trent. And I like him. But Stafford has more ability. Quite honestly, if Stafford falls, the Bills can probably get great value by moving down. That would be my goal (i.e take the Jets 1st and 2nd to move down to 17). But if there is not a team looking to move up and the other 7 guys are gone? Take him. Too much ability to pass up. They can figure out what to do with Trent later on.

9. Michael Jenkins, CB/S Ohio State - Yes, a DB. And I know. The Bills have plenty. But he is a much better player than the guys remaining on the board. And could start next year if Terrence McGee leaves. He is only this low on my board because it is not a pressing need. The guy can flat out play.

10. Michael Oher, OT Mississippi - Another talented O-lineman. Big bodies are a good idea.

11. Everette Brown, DE FSU - the #11 guy was tough for me, but Brown is better than the LB trio from USC or Maybin. He gets the nod. I might move him up a spot or two in this draft as time goes on. His athleticism make some think he can adjust, but it might take a year or two be realize his potential. And FSU guys rule.

So there you have it. The definite Bills big board. Three weeks from today, barring a trade down, one of these 11 guys should be the property of the Buffalo Bills.

patmoran2006
04-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Like it...

I think Sanchez is going to be very good though, don't know why.. Just do

Ironic thing (or not) is that the guy you got at #11 is the guy I think the Bills end up with, if Jason Peters is still a Bill and/or Oher is gone.

Buddo
04-04-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't think I'd assume anything about Peters atm.
Consequently, I think you have to look for either Oher or Andre Smith to be available when we pick @ #11.
Seeing as how the Bills have had Smith in for a visit, they would pretty obviously consider him, unless they were unhappy with what they heard from him.
Problem with that though, is that the Bungles have also had him in, and as you rightly point out, he may be more talented than the two guys slated to go ahead of him, and the Bungles idea of 'character', is that everyone has one.
Unless they were set on immediately turning Jenkins into a safety, I think he's just way too much of a 'luxury' pick, when we have serious needs elsewhere, and I don't think he will grade out in the Bills top 12 or so, because of that.
I really don't know about Orakpo and Brown. I think Brown might be the better 'fit', but am not convinced tbh. I remain to be convinced that the Bills necessarily think that highly of either of them tbh.
Out of the 11 you chose, I can see either Orakpo/Brown not being in it, or Jenkins, with the likely replacements being Maualuga/Cushing and Pettigrew.

TacklingDummy
04-04-2009, 06:33 PM
I am also assuming Jason Peters is still a member of this team. Get it done guys. 5 or 6 years at 10.5 million per.

You're nuts.

THATHURMANATOR
04-04-2009, 06:43 PM
You're nuts.
We have more than enough cap room. He is a very good left tackle. What is so nuts about it?

TacklingDummy
04-04-2009, 07:53 PM
What is so nuts about it?
The 10.5 million per year for 5-6 years part. Don't forget there will also be a signing bonus. Not to mention Peters hasn't played a full season in 3 years and only once in 5 seasons, can you say Tony Boselli Jr?

Dr. Lecter
04-04-2009, 07:54 PM
You're nuts.

That's the going rate for top notch LT's

Of course starting Chambers at RT and Walker at LT is even nuttier.

Dr. Lecter
04-04-2009, 07:55 PM
The 10.5 million per year for 5-6 years part. Don't forget there will also be a signing bonus.

The 10.5 is the average value of the deal, counting bonus's. It is not just base salary.

TacklingDummy
04-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Of course starting Chambers at RT and Walker at LT is even nuttier. And yet it worked quite well last year.

SABURZFAN
04-04-2009, 08:47 PM
at least Lecter didn't break out his big broads list. :whew:

DraftBoy
04-05-2009, 01:43 PM
And yet it worked quite well last year.

Yea what was our record again last year??

clumping platelets
04-05-2009, 01:52 PM
:popcorn:

TacklingDummy
04-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Yea what was our record again last year??

The record without Peters or with Peters not playing the whole game: 3-1

With Peters 4-8.

The Bills can win or lose just as well without Peters. Well not really lose as much.

DraftBoy
04-05-2009, 05:12 PM
The record without Peters or with Peters not playing the whole game: 3-1

With Peters 4-8.

The Bills can win or lose just as well without Peters. Well not really lose as much.

So our record was 7-9, thanks that's what I thought. I was confused for a second I thought somehow it changed from that given your rhetoric.

HHURRICANE
04-05-2009, 06:15 PM
That's the going rate for top notch LT's

Of course starting Chambers at RT and Walker at LT is even nuttier.

I guess guys would rather gamble on Mike Williams II.

ddaryl
04-06-2009, 02:33 PM
The 10.5 million per year for 5-6 years part. Don't forget there will also be a signing bonus. Not to mention Peters hasn't played a full season in 3 years and only once in 5 seasons, can you say Tony Boselli Jr?

the 10.5 includes the bonuses..

All contracts are laid out in per year amounts, but are really a combination of salary, and bonuses. Some of those bonuses will be NLTBE types.