• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Coaching vs. Talent excercise for the board

Say there are two scales, both 1 to 10.

One reflects coaching ability and one reflects the overall talent on an NFL team.

--1 is the WORST. (First pick in the draft bad).
    --10 is the BEST. (Definitely Super Bowl caliber).
    --Obviously, 2 thru 9 would be a broad spectrum from really bad (2) to Super Bowl capabilities (9).
    --5 would be completely average. (.500 type of talent on the talent scale.... And Very, very average on the coaching scale.)

To maximize the chances of winning for your NFL team, you are allowed to add up the two numbers, but not allowed to have anything over 10 TOTAL. You could have a 5 in both, or a 4 in talent and 6 in coaching....or whatever.

The question is, what would you choose that you think would give an NFL team (any NFL team, not necessarily the Bills) the best chances of winning the most amount of games.

Poor coaching, but great talent?
    Average at both?
    Poor talent, but great coaching?

What would be your two numbers if you had to choose and could only have a total of 10?
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • SquishDaFish
    Lets GO BUFFALO!!
    • Jun 2005

Re: Coaching vs. Talent excercise for the board

I would say prob 6 Coaching 4 Talent.

Gameplanning and coaching is big IMO. A good coach can win with less talent

Comment

• yordad
      • Dec 2007

I say no matter which you choose, you will end up 8-8 (or 7-9 if your the Bills). I think they are pretty much equal if you consider all parts to being a coach. So, great coach, crappy team or visa-versa, equals average.

You have to put together more then 10 points to get over the hump.

Worth noting that prior to the NFL, IMO, coaching probably holds more weight (like high school, etc.)
      Last edited by yordad; 04-05-2009, 09:02 PM.
      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Coach Sal
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by yordad
        Worth noting that prior to the NFL, IMO, coaching probably holds more weight (like high school, etc.)
        I agree with this completely and was going to post the same thing later.

Coaching can overcome a lack of talent much more effectively in college and HS.
        Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
        And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• SquishDaFish
          Lets GO BUFFALO!!
          • Jun 2005

I say Buffalo is 6 in Talent maybe 7 and 4 in Coaching

Comment

• Ingtar33
            Dances With Buffaloes
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Coach Sal
            I agree with this completely and was going to post the same thing later.

Coaching can overcome a lack of talent much more effectively in college and HS.

I agree... and have seen it first hand.

However.

If i was to pick for the NFL... I'd go with 7 players 3 coaching. It's my belief in the NFL, the coach can be worth as much as 30% of the regular season record... plus or minus.

that doesn't mean they all are... some teams find a watermark with the talent because the coaching has no effect. And some teams play way over their head because the coaching is just that much better then their talent.
            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

5 talent
              4 coaching.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                5 talent
                4 coaching.
                ....and 1?
                Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                  • Mar 2004

weel it's obviously gonna be somewhere near 5-5.

Personally I think 6-4 with coaching being 6.

good coaching can make up for a lot fo shortfalls in talent, but obviously not glaring ones. BUT, bad coaching can ruin eveerything. (just like our current coach si ruining Trent's potential IMO)

Comment

• Oaf
                    Do you read what you write?
                    • Jun 2007

We should play this game with how the Bills currently are.
                    I'd say 3 in talent, 5 in coaching.

Comment

• madness
                      • Apr 2003

Coaching takes precedent in the lower levels where talent is diluted and experience is relatively small but that's about it. Ask any well-grounded coach and he'll tell you it's all about the talent. Coaching is the medium to helping raw talent grow and is about managing everything involving... yep, you guessed it... the talent.

Not just the NFL but in most avenues, talent reigns supreme which is why talent is always on the higher pay scale. (theatre, music, etc.)

In fact talent is so important, it's hard for me to even generalize it into a single word. Talent (concerning sports) involves many varying degrees such as physical attributes, skill, knowledge and experience.

As far as the balance to win in the NFL, IMO Ingtar is right on point.

If i was to pick for the NFL... I'd go with 7 players 3 coaching. It's my belief in the NFL, the coach can be worth as much as 30% of the regular season record... plus or minus.

that doesn't mean they all are... some teams find a watermark with the talent because the coaching has no effect. And some teams play way over their head because the coaching is just that much better then their talent.

Comment

• psubills62
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2008

7 coaching, 3 talent.

I think the Patriots are perfect evidence of this. How many people think Brady and Cassel would have been all-world talents anywhere else? Part of coaching is using talents to maximize a player's ability while minimizing their weaknesses. And I think we have plenty of evidence of players who seemed great on New England's team going to other teams and being average or below average.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Not to mention, if we're talking long-term, then it's easier to get great talent, imo, than it is to find great coaches. You get several chances every year (FA, draft) to get talent, whereas you only get one chance every three or four years to get a great coach.
                        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim
                          ....and 1?
                          Owner
                          Last edited by justasportsfan; 04-06-2009, 02:54 PM.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mudflap1
                            Next Question!
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by psubills62
                            7 coaching, 3 talent.

I think the Patriots are perfect evidence of this. How many people think Brady and Cassel would have been all-world talents anywhere else? Part of coaching is using talents to maximize a player's ability while minimizing their weaknesses. And I think we have plenty of evidence of players who seemed great on New England's team going to other teams and being average or below average.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Not to mention, if we're talking long-term, then it's easier to get great talent, imo, than it is to find great coaches. You get several chances every year (FA, draft) to get talent, whereas you only get one chance every three or four years to get a great coach.
                            Great post and I agree 100%. Great coaching will take players that other teams don't want (Tom Brady, Matt Cassel, etc.) and turn them into players.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

Talent 2 Coaching 5.

We have an average coaching staff coaching an expansion team-esque roster.

If you've read posts from me for the last couple years my opinion hasn't swayed.

Comment

Working...
                              X