I think the fact the Bills are looking at 2-3rd round type DEs is because.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

I think the fact the Bills are looking at 2-3rd round type DEs is because.....

I think the fact the Bills are looking at 2-3rd round type DEs is because they are very interested in DEs, and they don't want to draw too much attention to the one or two they really want. I mean, it is kind of obvious they need one. Denny was leading our linemen with sacks last year and the Bills mustered one of the lowest totals in the league.

Maybe the entire league knows the Bills need a DE. To draw heat away from their guy, maybe they are trying to "talk up" the others (Maybe helping Ayers stock some) and trying to throw the competing teams off the trail.

You guys remember the "Running backs by committee" line we got a couple years ago, right before we drafted Lynch in the 1st? I think they are trying to give some predraft Mis-information.
    Last edited by yordad; 04-05-2009, 10:02 PM.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad
  • Lexwhat
    • Feb 2005

Re: I think the fact the Bills are looking at 2-3rd round type DEs is because.....

I agree.

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Re: I think the fact the Bills are looking at 2-3rd round type DEs is because.....

All the teams do it but yes I agree.

Comment

• jamze132
        Don’t hate…
        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by yordad
        I think the fact the Bills are looking at 2-3rd round type DEs is because they are very interested in DEs, and they don't want to draw too much attention to the one or two they really want. I mean, it is kind of obvious they need one. Denny was leading our linemen with sacks last year and the Bills mustered one of the lowest totals in the league.

Maybe the entire league knows the Bills need a DE. To draw heat away from their guy, maybe they are trying to "talk up" the others (Maybe helping Ayers stock some) and trying to throw the competing teams off the trail.

You guys remember the "Running backs by committee" line we got a couple years ago, right before we drafted Lynch in the 1st? I think they are trying to give some predraft Mis-information.
        Or, and here is a crazy thought, they want to actually take a DE at that point because they are going after someone else at #11.

The Bills need to have every contingency plan thought through well during the draft. If Raji is there at #11, he must be the pick. Then when we pick again, we already have a lot of DEs in the back of our mind who recently visited us.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
          • Mar 2005

yeah, that's it

Comment

• X-Era
            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by yordad

But we do run running back by commitee... drafting Lynch didnt stop that, it enhanced it.

To be honest, the only year in the past 10 that I can think of where we did something no one expected was McGahee. For the most part it seems to me that we are pretty honest about what we need and are looking for from the draft.

I think they are just doing homework on all the possibilities. They have 4 main needs (TE, LG, DE, OLB) and 1 pick per round). I dont see them being locked into a position in the 1st.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

I dont see this as the Bills sending out smoke signals. I dont think they see a guy like Orakpo or even Brown being there at 11, and I dont think they see Maybin as worth 11 or even as a 4-3 DE. Most of the guys we have targeted have been bigger DE's who clearly fit the 4-3 scheme.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

Those crafty Bills.

They should worry more about fooling themselves than the media.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Jeff1220
                  H to the 12:20
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by EdwardsEra

To be honest, the only year in the past 10 that I can think of where we did something no one expected was McGahee. For the most part it seems to me that we are pretty honest about what we need and are looking for from the draft.
                  Whitner - Yes we needed a sefety, but Huff was supposed to be gone (he was), and nobody even gave a though of Whitner (most of us didn't even know very much if anything about him) until Mayock put him as our pick in his mock a day or two before the draft.

Evans - was a fairly surprising pick at #13 too. He wasn't expected to go that high and everyone know we were looking for a QB (Losman trade up was pretty unexpected too).

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jeff1220
                    Whitner - Yes we needed a sefety, but Huff was supposed to be gone (he was), and nobody even gave a though of Whitner (most of us didn't even know very much if anything about him) until Mayock put him as our pick in his mock a day or two before the draft.

Evans - was a fairly surprising pick at #13 too. He wasn't expected to go that high and everyone know we were looking for a QB (Losman trade up was pretty unexpected too).
                    You see I didnt think Evans was that big of a surprise, Id say McCargo was a bigger shock.
                    COMING SOON...

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

i think that they are doing their jobs personally.

maybe they want DE with the first pick, if the right guy is there.. but if the right guy is not there, then you have to be prepared for a guy like barwin or sidberry or johnson as possible second round picks.

you can't just study the one guy you really like.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• yordad
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
                        But we do run running back by commitee... drafting Lynch didnt stop that, it enhanced it.
                        Oh. I didn't realize Lynch wasn't the featured back. Actually, his very first 2 games he carried the ball 37 times. The only other RB to touch it was A-Train, three times (for -1 yards).
                        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• yordad
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Tatonka
                          i think that they are doing their jobs personally.

maybe they want DE with the first pick, if the right guy is there.. but if the right guy is not there, then you have to be prepared for a guy like barwin or sidberry or johnson as possible second round picks.

you can't just study the one guy you really like.
                          There is a differecne between being prepared for your guy not being there, and not looking at the top guy at all. One would think that they should prepare for the best case scenerio also, dontcha think?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Not every team visit is reported in the media. The Bills may have met with Orakpo and/or Brown and we may not know.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• yordad
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                              Not every team visit is reported in the media. The Bills may have met with Orakpo and/or Brown and we may not know.
                              OK, but doesn't that further my point?

Comment

Working...
                              X