PDA

View Full Version : BillsZone Original: Not the Time to Pay Fast Freddy

shelby
04-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Lawesome's take on the Fred Jackson situation. Enjoy:

Freddy Jackson wants a raise, a big one. I don't think the Bills should give it to him. This has little to do with his performance or value to the team. This has everything to do with the word "integrity".

The Players and Owners agreed to a collective bargaining agreement a few years back. Now, I am not going to go on and on about the sanctity of contracts and such. That is so much rubbish. What frustrates and tires me is the players' unwillingness to heed the quid pro quo of free agency they have received. This most recent CBA expanded the players' share of the wealth, it maintained the riches for the unproven drafted that enter the league every year, and it shortened the wait time for players to reach unfettered free agency. So, what did the owners get for their trouble? They maintained the salary cap and their cost certainty for the vast majority of their roster, or those players that aren't first round picks or high end unrestricted free agents. Oh yeah, and everyone involved would make a boatload of money.

It is unfortunate in some ways for Fred Jackson. He had a heck of a better season last year than J.J. Arrington did, and Arrington got $10 million for 4 years from the Broncos. Jackson gets nada, zip. Arrington, who is basically a high end journeyman, cashes in, sort of. Why? Because he did his time, lasted, and hit it relatively big in unrestricted free agency, mostly due to the Bronco's stupidity (common theme this year, isn't it?).

Is this fair? Is this right? Of course it is. The Bills owe Freddy nothing more than a paycheck if he makes the team this year. Why would the Bills undermine the integrity of the system and their internal pay scale to pay him more than they have to? Loyalty? Please. They need him, due to Marshawn's pending issues? Maybe, but, as the Bills have shown us so admirably, there are plenty of journeymen backs willing to don the red, white and blue for the right money. As for Freddy, he should show the integrity he owes the Bills and honor his commitment. His time will come. If he keeps his performance up, he gets the bonus of restricted free agency next year. If a team truly wants him, he will get the money he thinks he deserves. If he shows staying power for a few years, he will get Arrington money, or better. While he waiting, maybe he should visit Thurman Thomas and ask him all about unrestricted free agency in his time; it came when they were all used up. Maybe some perspective will help.

more.... (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2009/04/06/not_the_time_to_pay_fast_freddy.php)

justasportsfan
04-06-2009, 03:02 PM
So a team can void a players contract but a player can't do anything about it? We pay Kelsay a ton of money but not the ones that actually have more of an impact than Kelsay?
Where's the integritiy in that?

A team can pay a rookie millions of dollars more than one thats been in the league for years, especially those that have been with the team for years. I don't see the integrity there.

I respectfully disagree with the article. They owe Freddie Jackson MORE than just a paycheck.

Didn't the chargers just pay Sproles?

It's a case to case basis but the bills especially owe it to the fans to put a great product on the field. If it involves paying good players to play for the team they should do it or screw Ralph Wilson. YOu want a successful team, make your players happy especially the ones that contribute.

OpIv37
04-06-2009, 03:12 PM
So, say you work for a company and the company makes a lot more profit than they anticipated largely due to your efforts. Then you ask for a raise and they challenge your loyalty simply because you want a small cut of the profits you helped to make.

Is that fair? Situations change, and what's fair at the beginning of his contract won't necessarily be fair at the end.

In the corporate world, people in this situation can go work for another employer who values their efforts. In the NFL world, players are stuck- they are under a contract that the team can terminate at any time, but they are forced to play out. A player has limited earning potential due to the shortness of their careers, and given how Jackson came into the league, he's grossly underpaid compared to other players of his caliber.

ddaryl
04-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Freddie deserves a decent raise. He'll have to wait for the draft and Peters situation to clear 1st though

I would be upset if the Bill do not offer him a contract

Lynch received a 5 year 19 mil contact.. So using that as a baseline we should offer Freddie a 3 year 7 - 9 mil deal. As our #2 who can play like a #1 Freddie deserves the raise, and I assume he will be getting more playing time. The reason for a 3 year deal is I figure Freddie is going to want to try for a UFA contract eventually, but the Bills would be wise to lock him up for an axtra year before he does become UFA eligible

The question now is what does Freddie want ??

User Manuel
04-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Under your theories the quid pro quo would be for Freddy to take a reduced contract when he is an unrestricted free agent then? Why do I find that unlikely to happen. The system is designed to work a certain way. It is incremental steps.

1) You are property of the team that brings you in.

2) You have some sucess and you get some limited ability to go somewhere else if you are valuable enough to another team.

3) You are free to move at your pleasure after you are established and sucessfull.

I find it interesting the frustration that some seem to have for players who don't show loyalty back and leave at the first opportunity. I bet the Titans didn't count on loyalty when Haynes worth bolted exactly two-hours after he was freed.

As is so often the case, you are quick to point it is a business, but throw that aside when it is convienant. Freddy Jackson should only be signed to a new contract if he gives the Bills something in return. for instance a 5 year deal at 2 million per.

Then the Bills get something out of the deal. Cost certainty for Jackson for 5 years plus he hits unrestricted free agency late.

Do you think he goes for that?

User Manuel
04-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Explain what the Bills get for giving him a raise unless he gives up Free agent years?

ddaryl
04-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Explain what the Bills get for giving him a raise unless he gives up Free agent years?

from a business stand point your are 100% correct. Unless we get a generous deal from Freddie he realy isn't going anywhere. He cannot

I would like to see fast Freddie get a realistic offer for 3 - 5 years. Your not going to find many RB's who actually enjoy the other RB they work with as much and Lynch and Freddie do, and that alone might be a reaosn to keeping him happy and the tandem together for a few more years

User Manuel
04-06-2009, 03:44 PM
from a business stand point your are 100% correct. Unless we get a generous deal from Freddie he realy isn't going anywhere. He cannot

I would like to see fast Freddie get a realistic offer for 3 - 5 years. Your not going to find many RB's who actually enjoy the other RB they work with as much and Lynch and Freddie do, and that alone might be a reaosn to keeping him happy and the tandem together for a few more years

I would be on board with that.

OpIv37
04-06-2009, 03:49 PM

a player who won't hold out. Guaranteed services. Proof to other players that they pay the guys who deserve it.

ddaryl
04-06-2009, 03:51 PM
a player who won't hold out. Guaranteed services. Proof to other players that they pay the guys who deserve it.

it does remain to be seen if Freddie will hold out or not. Not shwing up to voluntaries is the 1st sign though...

I believe freddie just needs to be patient and the Bills will get him a multi-year deal

casdhf
04-06-2009, 03:59 PM
The reason we pay him now is so he'll be here another 5 seasons. It has nothing to do with sticking out his original deal. That's fine and well, but at that point what do we do ...let him walk?

User Manuel
04-06-2009, 10:02 PM
The reason we pay him now is so he'll be here another 5 seasons. It has nothing to do with sticking out his original deal. That's fine and well, but at that point what do we do ...let him walk?

He cant walk until 2 seasons from now. What if he is more Greg Bell than Kenny Davis? Then we gave him a raise and signing bonus for nothing.

SABURZFAN
04-06-2009, 11:22 PM
a lot of teams are going to two backs. that's not saying that Lynch can't carry the load but it's nice to have that RB who can spell him without the team missing a beat. i feel Jackson has proven he can do that for the Bills. if he is able to that in the 2009 season, he should get that contract extension.

jamze132
04-07-2009, 05:38 AM
I think he already earned the extension that he has yet to be offered. I feel that if a player proves his worth to the team, he should be rewarded accordingly. of course I wish we could take money back from people like Kelsay, but that ain't happening.

If this team is committed to winning, they need offer the guys that can actually play at an above average level long term deals to minimize roster turn-over. You can't pt a price on chemistry or commraderie.

TacklingDummy
04-07-2009, 06:02 AM
Trade Lynch and give the money to Action Jackson.

psubills62
04-07-2009, 08:21 AM
I, too, respectfully disagree with this article.

I think it would be a show of good faith for Buffalo to re-sign Fred Jackson to a long-term deal. I think that despite the nastiness involved in player-team relations lately, the Bills should still try to maintain something of a player-friendly organization.

Of course, it depends on Jackson's demands. I'm going to assume he's not looking to be the highest-paid RB in the NFL. If he's looking for a relatively modest contract (imo, 3-3.5 million a year for Jackson is fine), then there's no reason not to pay him.

justasportsfan
04-07-2009, 08:58 AM
If Jackson plays for peanuts and blows his knee, the bills can just drop him from the line-up and move on in the meantime Freddie is screwed. I'm almost sure this is also what Peters is thinking.