PDA

View Full Version : Stroud gets a new deal

circlethewagons
04-07-2009, 03:33 PM
In all, Stroud is now under contract for four years at a total take of $28 million. He’ll receive $12 million guaranteed, and $16 million in the first two years.
Stroud previously was due to earn a base salary of $3.5 million in 2009 and $4 million in 2010.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/07/new-deal-for-stroud/

ddaryl
04-07-2009, 03:36 PM
didn't see that one coming... but the Bills are willing to pay players. Hopefully Jackson gets his deal, and hopefully Peters is taking notice and realizing he needs to back down from his insane asking price

how old will Stroud be at the end of this contract... that would be my only concern...

Italian Stallion
04-07-2009, 03:38 PM
russ brandon needs to die.

no matter that our younger RB and OT need new deals....30 year old DT sweeeeet

5 mil a year raise?? come onnnnnnnnn

jimbohastle51
04-07-2009, 03:39 PM
well deserved, he is easily the most talented vetran on our defense and the only guy who is not replaceable on our defense either. people always say its hard to find a top CB, but what is even harder is to find a DT that can stop the run and rush the passer while being a leader in the locker room. he is a pro in every sense of the word.

casdhf
Work hard, keep quiet, get paid: Kelsay, Stroud, Evans

Peters really is a moron.

patmoran2006
say good day to jason Peters for sure now..

I dont mind STroud getting a raise (though I didnt think he had a great season in 2008)-- but you pay Jason Peters or even Fred Jackson before this..

I wonder if Brandon knows what he's doing sometimes, for real.

TacklingDummy
04-07-2009, 03:40 PM
So we used the money saved on Peters to sign Stroud, TO, and soon to be Jackson, I like it. :up:

Investing all your money in one player, who's not a QB, is just plain foolish.

Luisito23
04-07-2009, 03:41 PM
This is a very good move, I like it!

jimbohastle51
04-07-2009, 03:42 PM
didn't see that one coming... but the Bills are willing to pay players. Hopefully Jackson gets his deal, and hopefully Peters is taking notice and realizing he needs to back down from his insane asking price

how old will Stroud be at the end of this contract... that would be my only concern...

around 34-35 but what matters is he is an elite DT and has at least 3 years of prime left. everyone also forgets he had GREAT numbers last year for having ZERO PASS RUSH around him. he had 45 tackles 2.5 sacks and 1 ff and if he had shoebel all year coming off the end and a DE on the other side that could at least apply pressure you could tell watching he would have easily had another 4 sacks. he was double teamed ALL season because of our pour DLine play.

Don't Panic
04-07-2009, 03:44 PM
I don't have a problem with it per se, but sometimes this FO has me scratching my head with how they spend their money. I mean, if we're going to be frugal then so be it... but how do you explain bumping a guy in his 30's this much when you won't pay (or trade) your Pro Bowl LT market value (which would have been lower this time last year), make Derrick Dockery the richest Bill in history and give guys like Peerless Price, Chris Kelsay, Robert Denney and Robert Royal money no one else would have dreamed of getting them? Not to mention not filling our outstanding need(s) in FA as we speak. This is not a shot at Stroud, more a question of how the FO makes its decisions.

ddaryl
04-07-2009, 03:46 PM
but how do you explain bumping a guy in his 30's this much when you won't pay (or trade) your Pro Bowl LT market value .

I'm sorry but I am so sick and ****ing tired of people saying we won't pay Peters fair value. There is a contract on the table for him to sign and it is in the neighborhood of 8.5 million per season... that would pay Peters approx. the average of the top 5 OL in the NFL as of 2008...

HOW IS THAT NOT MARKET MUTHER ****ING VALUE ???? ...

yordad
04-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Without Stroud we probably would have been dead last in Defense last year. I am coo wit dis!

ddaryl
04-07-2009, 03:49 PM

I dont mind STroud getting a raise (though I didnt think he had a great season in 2008)-- but you pay Jason Peters or even Fred Jackson before this..

As I mentioned above. Peters has a very generous offer on the table of approx 8.5 million... This is all Peters and has nothing to do with the Bills IMO. Peters just wants to be over paid to play for the Bills. 8.5 million is just not enough for Peters obviously and the Bills obviously are not going to reward him with an over bloated contract after he held the team hostage last year.

BillsWin
04-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Message to Peters. "You're not all that and a bundle of sticks. You need to keep your mouth shut, play football and do what is in the best interest for the team. Then you'll get a nice fat deal. You jackass."

bigbub2352
04-07-2009, 03:55 PM
i guess they learned fomr there mistake with Pat Williams, no how about drafting him some help

SquishDaFish
04-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Im sick of the *****ing about this front office. They dont pay anyone you cry. They sign some good people and resign some of our own and you cry. Cant win. Give it up. It is 2 way street to get a deal done and Peters isnt doing his part. Jackson on the other hand has no leverage hes too young. He will get his money in the end prob next year.

dplus47
04-07-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm sorry but I am so sick and ****ing tired of people saying we won't pay Peters fair value. There is a contract on the table for him to sign and it is in the neighborhood of 8.5 million per season... that would pay Peters approx. the average of the top 5 OL in the NFL as of 2008...

because it's 2009?

the average will go up again after the draft if an OT is taken #1 overall. the bills should have paid peters last year, before the draft. then, 8.5 (or even less) would have gotten it done, and that would have been that.

stroud performed well, and he may very well deserve the raise he got, but it's common sense to pay the people who have already performed for you at below market value before paying the relative newcomers.

peters is likely to take this deal as a slap in the face. jackson might do the same. that would be unfortunate for the bills.

theanswer74
04-07-2009, 04:00 PM
How did you guys not see this coming? Last year all the DT's traded got new contracts, Stroud said he would wait for his.

This is not a shock at all. It was probably known for a long time they would extend Stroud.

Yasgur's Farm
04-07-2009, 04:00 PM

5 mil a year raise?? come onnnnnnnnnHow old was Pat Williams when we let him walk years ago... I remember the conventional thinking was he was too old for a long term deal.

I'd rather pay Stroud than overpay Peters.

Plus... I'm sure the Bills have a multi-million dollar offer to Jackson... Just because he hasn't accepted it doesn't mean the Bills haven't offered.

Mudflap1
04-07-2009, 04:03 PM
This has to be one of the highest paid defensive lines in the NFL at this point... with Kelsay, Schobel, and Stroud. If anyone deserves to be paid, it's Stroud. The other guys need to start producing.

Dr. Lecter
04-07-2009, 04:06 PM

And if Peters won't sign for less than 12 million per?

It is a two way street.

And I strongly disagree that Jackson comes before Stroud. A starting DT gets a deal way before a back-up RB.

HHURRICANE
04-07-2009, 04:07 PM

I have to agree here. If Peters isn't close to signing than this deal has really stupid timing.

madness
04-07-2009, 04:08 PM
How did you guys not see this coming? Last year all the DT's traded got new contracts, Stroud said he would wait for his.

This is not a shock at all. It was probably known for a long time they would extend Stroud.

The guy first in line was waiting patiently and was rewarded. That's how it's supposed to work.

Stroud was a huge reason this defense went from the 30's to the teens. IMO, he easily earned it.

dplus47
04-07-2009, 04:13 PM
How old was Pat Williams when we let him walk years ago... I remember the conventional thinking was he was too old for a long term deal.

I'd rather pay Stroud than overpay Peters.

Plus... I'm sure the Bills have a multi-million dollar offer to Jackson... Just because he hasn't accepted it doesn't mean the Bills haven't offered.

you can't just assume the bills are making offers to players. their history suggests otherwise.

that said, it was stupid to let fat pat walk and that's why they needed to re-sign stroud. i still would have gotten the other deals done first.

i don't think re-signing stroud was a bad deal, but he played for them for a year at a bargain. peters has been a member of the team for years, and he has performed for two years at a bargain basement price. that price goes up after the draft, so they likely have to trade him now.

IMO, that's just crazy. you pay players who really perform at elite positions like LT, and you pay them as soon as you can, because you want the player to think you're dealing with him fairly and you want to pay a top 5 contract before that top 5 price goes up come draft time. who knows how not getting paid last year affected peters' morale. if your employer paid you minimum wage to be a manager for more than a year, i'd be willing to bet your performance would slip as well. it's common sense that a company's employees are its #1 asset and they need to be treated as such.

that's just me, of course, and i don't blame the people who are angry at peters. personally, i think the bills have mishandled the situation.

EDS
04-07-2009, 04:22 PM
around 34-35 but what matters is he is an elite DT and has at least 3 years of prime left. everyone also forgets he had GREAT numbers last year for having ZERO PASS RUSH around him. he had 45 tackles 2.5 sacks and 1 ff and if he had shoebel all year coming off the end and a DE on the other side that could at least apply pressure you could tell watching he would have easily had another 4 sacks. he was double teamed ALL season because of our pour DLine play.

Not that having better talent around him wouldn't help, but did he ever have 6 sacks in a season with Jacksonville (which had better talent around him)?

nateodoms'bff
04-07-2009, 04:41 PM
because it's 2009?

the average will go up again after the draft if an OT is taken #1 overall. the bills should have paid peters last year, before the draft. then, 8.5 (or even less) would have gotten it done, and that would have been that.

stroud performed well, and he may very well deserve the raise he got, but it's common sense to pay the people who have already performed for you at below market value before paying the relative newcomers.

peters is likely to take this deal as a slap in the face. jackson might do the same. that would be unfortunate for the bills.

Contary to popular belief, both of these players are replaceable. You don't build your team around a guy that is selfish, and short-sighted.

As for Jackson, there are reasons that he went undrafted out of Coe College. People use that as a sort of crutch for his inabilities. RB's come cheap these days. Fred Jackson is lucky to be playing football. Period. HE is not greed, HE knows he can be replaced, and HE is smart enough to understand his role, and what the Bills Organization does; which is pay the guys that do their jobs.

Oh, and the Bills overpaid Lee Evans to stay in Buffalo. Fact.

casdhf
04-07-2009, 04:48 PM
I think we should negotiate with Peters after this season, maybe they're planning ahead by spending some more "cash to cap" now

mayotm
04-07-2009, 05:00 PM
How about that. Stroud kept his mouth shut, played last season despite wanting a new deal and was rewarded. That's how a reasonable player goes about getting a new contract.

venis2k1
04-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Looks reasonable. Great to see a guy get paid without holding out, or crying to the media.

Nighthawk
04-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Did not see this one happening, but I do think it was a smart move. Good DT's are so hard to find and you don't let them go when you find one.

DMBcrew36
04-07-2009, 05:09 PM
In my opinion:

Jackson will eventually get his new deal. Peters on the other hand...

Romes
04-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Stroud's agent is also Rosenhaus. Anyone think its possible that the Bills could have promised him to re-work Stroud's deal if Rosenhaus pushed TO towards Buffalo?

...just a thought.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-07-2009, 05:21 PM
And I strongly disagree that Jackson comes before Stroud. A starting DT gets a deal way before a back-up RB

Ya, no way in hell does a back-up running back get a deal before a borderline pro bowler. Great deal by Buffalo and eases my worries as he's locked up for four more seasons.

Syderick
04-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Thats good they extended him. Both him and Kyle Williams did a decent job last season.

acehole
04-07-2009, 05:41 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/07/new-deal-for-stroud/

This is strange.....I wonder if he asked for it or they just said he needs a raise....Not likely. I wonder if he shares an agent with one of the guys we are looking at our spot. It seems if the Bills really wanted Peters they could have given hime the 3 mil and given Stroud 2 mill and called it a day.

This tells me indirectly Peters is a goner.

X-Era
04-07-2009, 05:41 PM

5 mil a year raise?? come onnnnnnnnn
its not a 5 mill per year raise... its not 8+ per year, thats a 32+ mill contract... its 8+ mill in the final two years. Its at most 6 mill per year for the first two years, then an average of 8.25 for each of the last 2 years.

acehole
04-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Stroud's agent is also Rosenhaus. Anyone think its possible that the Bills could have promised him to re-work Stroud's deal if Rosenhaus pushed TO towards Buffalo?

...just a thought.

not a bad one...however I think rosenhouse was happy to sign TO anywhere at that piont.

Night Train
04-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Thats good they extended him. Both him and Kyle Williams did a decent job last season.

Kyle Williams is Kelsay at DT and needs to be replaced in the starting lineup. He's a swinging door when teams run at him and provides zero push.

Hustle doesn't mask actual talent, much like Kelsay.

Tatonka
04-07-2009, 06:36 PM

BRAV - ****ING - O

psubills62
04-07-2009, 07:24 PM
i guess they learned fomr there mistake with Pat Williams, no how about drafting him some help

I don't usually agree with you, but this is exactly what I was thinking. People get pissed because he's already 30 or 31 years old, but then they complain about the Bills letting people go, like Pat Williams. Stroud may not be as good as Williams, but I think we'd see how good he is if we get a game-changer like Raji or someone next to him.

psubills62
04-07-2009, 07:27 PM
P.S. I'd be willing to bet that the Bills wanted to do this mainly because Stroud didn't miss any games due to injury this season.

Remember how, after we traded for Stroud, everyone was worried because he had missed time the previous two years due to injury? Anyone notice that he didn't miss any time this past year? I'm not saying he won't, but I wouldn't be surprised that, after the trade last offseason, the Bills hinted at a contract extension if he stayed healthy and played well. He wasn't an All-Pro, but he did well and stayed healthy. Exactly what we want in our DT's.

Kenny
04-07-2009, 07:31 PM
good move... Nice to see the Bills are finally starting to learn from the Pat Williams ****-up

Mad Bomber
04-07-2009, 07:44 PM
This has to be one of the highest paid defensive lines in the NFL at this point... with Kelsay, Schobel, and Stroud. If anyone deserves to be paid, it's Stroud. The other guys need to start producing.
AMEN.

Mad Bomber
04-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Kyle Williams is Kelsay at DT and needs to be replaced in the starting lineup. He's a swinging door when teams run at him and provides zero push.

What would you think of that evil drug-using Raji if he fell to #11?

Griz78
04-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Stroud deserves this. all the other guys that got traded got new deals (Rogers and Jenkins). He played decently, made no gripes and seemed to enjoy Buffalo.

Saratoga Slim
04-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Call me crazy, but if I remember correctly the Bills told Stroud that they'd get him a new deal when they traded for him. He played out the season in good faith (i.e. without holding out, HELLO Jason Peters), and thus deserves it.

I have ZERO problems with this move, even if it means we can't pay Peters. Both players are still under contract. Stroud is more important to the defense than Peters is to the offense, and redoing his deal is apparently cheaper. Throw in his good conduct and thus he gets his first. To me, that's prioritizing correctly.

justasportsfan
04-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Peters is taking notice and realizing he needs to back down from his insane asking price

haha! How is it that Stroud can get 8.5 despite his age and Peters can't get 11.5 after 2 years of making it to the probowl ? Strouds only been here for 1 year and he gets a huge raise.

topher180
04-07-2009, 10:08 PM
haha! How is it that Stroud can get 8.5 despite his age and Peters can't get 11.5 after 2 years of making it to the probowl ? Strouds only been here for 1 year and he gets a huge raise.

Don't you see? Many on this board have "sources" saying that Jason Peters turned down a dozen deals. He's greedy! LTs aren't that important! Just draft a lineman! Blah blah blah blah!

Seriously, I've been gone a week and now all of a sudden Stroud is getting his a** kissed and Peters is expendable. Wow.

feldspar
04-07-2009, 10:22 PM
In case anybody is interested, I found this interactive site on how all the players were payed since the year 2000. I found it quite interesting.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/default.aspx

I like giving Stroud more money...I won't comment on Peters in this thread because this has nothing to do with him. But that guy is an idiot...OK, I couldn't resist.

DrGraves
04-07-2009, 10:23 PM

I would just like to point out that despite the fact Kelsay works hard, he sucks.

Michael82
04-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Excellent News! Stroud was our best defensive lineman last year and even though we all knew he was unhappy that he didn't get an new deal like the other traded DTs did...he shut his mouth, came to camp and played hard all year. He proved that he is a team player, just like Lee Evans, Brian Moorman, Aaron Schobel did and Brad Butler...so he got his money. If only Peters did the same thing..... :sigh:

Bmax
04-08-2009, 12:41 AM

Peters did work hard.....He was a undrafted free agent who fought his way on to the roster via special teams. He learned a different position to become a starter then a pro bowler. He got paid once for making it as a starter. Then he made the pro bowl and deserves pro bowl money..Timing has been his worst enemy. That and being an undrafted free agent. It's hard for these guys to make the big money that 1st rd picks make.

Last year he diddn't show the production but the guy has been a hard worker on the field and off.

Kelsay only dreams that he show half the production that Peters has shown on the field. Kelsey has no shot of ever being a good player let alone a pro bowler.

Bmax

jimbohastle51
04-08-2009, 02:15 AM
Not that having better talent around him wouldn't help, but did he ever have 6 sacks in a season with Jacksonville (which had better talent around him)?

yes he had 6.5 in 2002. also i forgot to add another very important stat that stroud brings with his size. he had 7 passes defensed. that is huge for a DT!!!

jimbohastle51
04-08-2009, 02:28 AM
this contract really isnt a big money deal next year, its really only about a 3-4 million dollar raise from his salary he was already going to make. i dont think this would stop us from signing peters at all. and they already have something going in the works for jackson. there is no way with the lynch situation how it is that they are not going to pay jackson and have him here for camp and through the summer. i don think however it will be a big contract. i think he will get something like 3years and 10 million with 4 million guaranteed. he is almost 29 and has never started a full season. guys that are getting close to the age of 30 at the RB position unfortunately for them never get paid handsomely anymore since the shaun alexander contract. so honestly i really dont think that strouds deal or the jackson deal will have anything to do with peters. i just dont think they are going to make peters a 10 million a year LT and thats that. i dont think it has anything to do with contracts and more to do with we are a small market club and are not going to spend 10 million a year on a linemen. we never have and probably never will. we could draft a tackle at the end of round one and sign kendall simmons and draft another G to compete with simmons and chambers later in the draft and STILL NOT GET CLOSE TO 10 MILLION A YEAR. i think they made as genorous an offer as they were prepared to make and he turned it down. but in good buissness the team will not show there cards ands say hey we arnt going to sign peters and want to trade him. that would make his value drop, but if they wait till 6 days before the draft and move him after a team like the eagles relize they dont have the leverage in the deal and NEED HIM BAD, they will cracks and give us the majority of there high draft picks. a 1st a 3rd and a 2nd next year or both firsts or a 1st and a 4th and a player or whatever it is, it is a matter of the team we trade with realizing we can hold him if we want. if our front office wanted to trade peters we could have easily by now, they now the longer we hold him the more we will get, simple as that.

Yasgur's Farm
04-08-2009, 06:02 AM
you can't just assume the bills are making offers to players. their history suggests otherwise. And you can't assume they haven't. As a matter of fact, both sides have stated that there's been ongoing talks... The safe assumption is that the Bills have a solid contract offer on the table.

that said, it was stupid to let fat pat walk and that's why they needed to re-sign stroud. i still would have gotten the other deals done first.

i don't think re-signing stroud was a bad deal, but he played for them for a year at a bargain. peters has been a member of the team for years, and he has performed for two years at a bargain basement price. that price goes up after the draft, so they likely have to trade him now.

IMO, that's just crazy. you pay players who really perform at elite positions like LT, and you pay them as soon as you can, because you want the player to think you're dealing with him fairly and you want to pay a top 5 contract before that top 5 price goes up come draft time. It's been reported by multiple sources that the Bills offered a contract paying $8.6M per year... That's top 5 money... No comlaints, right? who knows how not getting paid last year affected peters' morale. if your employer paid you minimum wage to be a manager for more than a year, i'd be willing to bet your performance would slip as well. Poor, poor millionaire Jason... Boo feckin hoo!! it's common sense that a company's employees are its #1 asset and they need to be treated as such.

that's just me, of course, and i don't blame the people who are angry at peters. personally, i think the bills have mishandled the situation.

chernobylwraiths
04-08-2009, 06:28 AM

Haha, no ****!

I'm wondering why we should pay him the highest salary in the league? Because he made two pro bowls? Didn't he give up double digit sacks last year?

Now, I think what we have offered him is good and quite fair. I have never been an advocate of trading him mainly because it is our best offensive lineman in quite a while, but if he still resists and holds out again, start fielding offers.

ddaryl
04-08-2009, 07:35 AM
because it's 2009?

Oh well.. a player that holds out and then proceeds to have an off seaosn not worthy of being the highest paid player at his position doesn't deserve to be the highest paid player at his position.

Peters has 2 years remiaing on his extension which he signed. He wasn't forced to sign this extension, he willingly chose to sign it. Now he is getting very generous offer from the Bills that will set him up for life, but he is demanding more.

The bottom line is that Peters wants more then he is worth, and if Peters takes Strouds offer as a slap in the face then he is an even bigger idiot. Stroud is big reason why our D improved last year even when we had a crappy DE play and haldf ass OLB play from Ellison. Peters should be very happy to know Stroud is locked up for the rest of his career as a Bill.

as for Jackson he is a RFA for 2009 and 2010. He'll get his deal but he has to wait.

ddaryl
04-08-2009, 07:38 AM

Stroud didn't hold out, and he and the Bills had a gentlemens agreement about extending him when he was traded to Buffalo. On top of that he performed very well last year, and made our crappy D look good.

Peters and the Bills had a gentlemens agreement about an new contract after Peters came back from his holdout, and the Bill put an offer on the table like they said they would. It just isn't enough for Peters. The contract on the table for thePeters pretty much doub;les his pay, evne though he has 2 years left on his deal. If he was a UFA the Bills would franchise him and you know what he would get... The avergae of the top 5 LT, and you know what the BIlls offered ???... Peters is being treated fairly. It is Peters who is not treating the Ills or the fans fairly

Bottom line appears to be..

Stroud = team player
Peters = me player

madness
04-08-2009, 12:46 PM

... also 7 pass deflections and 2 fumble recoveries. :up:

dplus47
04-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Peters has 2 years remiaing on his extension which he signed. He wasn't forced to sign this extension, he willingly chose to sign it. Now he is getting very generous offer from the Bills that will set him up for life, but he is demanding more.

The bottom line is that Peters wants more then he is worth, and if Peters takes Strouds offer as a slap in the face then he is an even bigger idiot. Stroud is big reason why our D improved last year even when we had a crappy DE play and haldf ass OLB play from Ellison. Peters should be very happy to know Stroud is locked up for the rest of his career as a Bill.

as for Jackson he is a RFA for 2009 and 2010. He'll get his deal but he has to wait.

peters wasn't forced to sign his extension, but he signed it as an RT. he then moved on to a job with more responsibility and (supposedly) more value to the team. i say "supposedly" because i don't think the bills place a higher priority on the position; they have done nothing to indicate that they do.

what is "the offer" that's supposedly on the table from the bills? if it's what peters was asking for last year, i'm sure he and his agent aren't accepting it because it's a year late and they want more now. salaries go up in this league, sometimes at a crazy rate. if you're a player in a position to benefit from that, you have to do so.

i hear he is asking to be the highest paid lineman in the league. last year, wouldn't "highest paid lineman on the bills" have been enough? and didn't he deserve that, going into the year?

it's only natural for someone who is asked to do more work to ask for more compensation. the bills are within their rights to ignore peters' request, but they have to live with what they get on the field. peters was the 3rd highest paid lineman on the bills last year, coming off a pro-bowl season. of course he held out. when he came back, peters may have played like the 3rd best lineman on the team (that's debatable; he looked very good against joey porter, for example), but that doesn't take away from this: both the team and the player have a role in this mess.

as for jackson, the bills should deal with him now, because marshawn is a ticking time bomb. that makes jackson the most reliable running back on the bills' roster, and the team should extend him just to have some insurance and to let him know that he's an important member of the team.