PDA

View Full Version : What should be the max (per year) the Bills give Peters?

Dr. Lecter
04-08-2009, 12:49 PM
As I have said numerous times, the Bills should try to extend Peters. But, it is a two way street. If he does not become reasonable, the Bills should not pay him whatever he wants.

My limit is no more than 11 million per season. (average, includes salary and bonuses).

What is your max?

TacklingDummy
04-08-2009, 12:55 PM
I picked trade him or keep him at his current price.

But if they do renegotiate a contract, $8.5 is more than enough. It doubles his current pay.

That would be twice the Bills went out of their way and renegotiated a contract for him.

bigbub2352
04-08-2009, 01:00 PM
9.5mil for the media dubbed elite LT, i think he is overratted to be honest and if a 1st and a 3rd was given up i would trade him in a seoncd and rebuild thru the draft
gotta ask what kind of teammate he is after 2yrs of distractions

mayotm
04-08-2009, 01:06 PM
If the reports are true (big if) that the Bills are offering 8.5 and Peters wants 12, offer 10 and be done with it. That stated, if Peters doesn't sign a new deal by the draft, it's time to trade him. A holdout into training camp or beyond, doesn't do the Bills any good.

bflobarry
04-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Look at it this way: He has been a STEAL for the last 2 years, playing pro bowl left tackle for, by NFL standards, a pittance. A pro bowl LT could expect to make 8mil, minimum. So if he got (this is all for the sake of example, relax) even 50 mil for the next 4 years, that would come to 58 mil for 6 years, or less than 10 mil per year, which most knowlegable fans would admit is not sky high for a 27 year old, top talent LT. So even if he got what most ppl seem to feel is outrageous (a 4 year extension for 50m), he STILL could make the argument that as a 6 year pkg, that he's underpaid. AND, btw. he's only held out once, after his '07 pro ball year during which he made far less money than most other very average NFL linemen.

venis2k1
04-08-2009, 01:15 PM
offer him 10 million a year. Tell him that offer gets pulled off the table on April 24th(the day before the draft), offer him no new contract after that and let him know that. If he wants to get paid he will take that generous offer, otherwise he will be playing the next two years at his current salary.

psubills62
04-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Look at it this way: He has been a STEAL for the last 2 years, playing pro bowl left tackle for, by NFL standards, a pittance. A pro bowl LT could expect to make 8mil, minimum. So if he got (this is all for the sake of example, relax) even 50 mil for the next 4 years, that would come to 58 mil for 6 years, or less than 10 mil per year, which most knowlegable fans would admit is not sky high for a 27 year old, top talent LT. So even if he got what most ppl seem to feel is outrageous (a 4 year extension for 50m), he STILL could make the argument that as a 6 year pkg, that he's underpaid. AND, btw. he's only held out once, after his '07 pro ball year during which he made far less money than most other very average NFL linemen.

Really? Because last I checked, Michael Roos was making a little over 7 million per year (just signed a contract a year or two ago), and he wasn't *****ing about it at all. Oh, and he gave up around 2 sacks, max last year. I also believe Roos is currently 26 years old.

So, imo, Roos is easily the best young LT in the game. I have no clue why Peters should be paid 4-5 million more than Roos is making.

Buddo
04-08-2009, 01:50 PM

Peters has been a 'steal' for 1.5 years. That is the second half of 2006, and 2007.
He was well paid for about a half season of decent performances last year.
Before that, he was a handy Special Teamer, and taking the time to learn to be a tackle. In that time, he was paid adequately.
What Peters is, is an 'elite talent', yet he is not, as of now, an 'elite player'. A subtle, yet important distinction.
Peters could also do with a healthy dose of reality. Here follow a few measures of that.
Firstly, his desire to be the highest paid LT in the AFC is borderline ludicrous. His recent performance simply does not warrant it.
Secondly, the attempt to be paid more than Long, is similarly ridiculous. In case he didn't notice, Long gets a serious 'premium', that currently goes with the status of being the #1 pick of a whole draft.
The actual highest paid LT in the NFL (ignoring the Long deal), is Jordan Gross. He gets $10 million per. He got that much, because the Panthers needed to make a deal with him, so they could tag Peppers, who wasn't going to make a deal. This also entails, in effect, a 'premium'. It is also to be noted, that Gross completed a full season for the Panthers, and had shown up to just about everything before the season.
Peters hasn't finished the last two seasons, there are questions to be asked about his ability to last the distance. How does the old coaching adage go 'the most valuable players, are those who show up every Sunday'.
The benchmark for a deal has been set by Gross. At this moment in time, Peters should not get that. For whatever the reasons, last year has shown inconsistency. Inconsistency does not equal top $. Neither does missing games - which he has done for the last two years.
Reasoning it all out like this, even accounting for his 'elite talent', I cannot feel comfortable with giving him more, or even equal to, what Gross got. My upper limit would be $9.5 million, signed, or retracted the day before the draft.

DraftBoy
04-08-2009, 02:20 PM
11 per year is my max.

DrGraves
04-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Overpaying a LT... $11 million
Drafting a Rookie to protect your QB's blindside.... idiotic
Paying however much it takes to keep Trent alive.... priceless.

Jan Reimers
04-08-2009, 03:16 PM
$10 million should keep him in cheeseburgers, tacos and fried chicken.

Michael82
04-08-2009, 03:20 PM
I'll give him 10 or maybe even $10.5 million. Any higher than that and he can go **** himself. :up:

ddaryl
04-08-2009, 03:23 PM
I voted 10.5 as the "max"

but they really shouldn't have ot offer that much. Peters should be happy to get 9 mil... Otherwise I say put the screws to him. Make him playout the next 2 years. let him hold out, and then franchise his ass in 2011.

With the way this franchise builds a team and runs I honestly believe I would get more satisfaction out of knowing Peters is just rotting in limbo. Pretty pathetic, but yet I feel that way... If peters gets what he wants it just sends signals to the next hot head agent and player duo to put the screws to the BIlls or another team. Playing hardball is something almost every team avoids, and many times players and agents end up winning in the end, which only encourages it to happen again. Maybe it is just time to break this cycle.

TacklingDummy
04-08-2009, 03:35 PM
So some of you guys want to pay Jason Peters more than what Tom Brady makes, how foolish. Some people wonder why it's been so long since the Bills were good.

FlyingDutchman
04-08-2009, 03:44 PM
what we should give him, is a kick in the ass on his way out the door. but if he was willing to stop being a little baby and actually reasonably agree to something, id go 9 mil tops

Night Train
04-08-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm thinking it's a moot point. He's on the block & the Bills have had it with his crap.

His fate will be decided in the next 2 weeks.

kid mickey
04-08-2009, 06:58 PM
I think 9.5 is what I would shell out. No more than that.

Nighthawk
04-08-2009, 08:38 PM
My max is $10.5...if that's not enough, well, then...it's been nice knowing you Jason...don't let the door hit you on the way out.

X-Era
04-09-2009, 06:05 AM
:clap:

Thank you!

The masses agree with me. Ive said for months 9-10 mill per year gets this done.

X-Era
04-09-2009, 06:15 AM
So some of you guys want to pay Jason Peters more than what Tom Brady makes, how foolish. Some people wonder why it's been so long since the Bills were good.

It's well known that Tom Brady has kissed the Pats ass with his contract to help them get more talent.

If he truly believed hes as good as so many claim he is, he should be demanding to be the highest paid QB in the league.

Dont use one underpaid contract to justify another.

Yasgur's Farm
04-09-2009, 06:31 AM
I'd offer $9M max. To me, that's all he's proven so far.

It may be that he'd be worth the $12M after his current contract expires. Hell... He might have been worth $12M now if he hadn't held out last TC. But, both of those cases fall squarely on his shoulders.

3 years ago the Bills overpaid for him (for what he had accomplished up to then) with a 5 year contract... They speculated and made an investment. They should be able to receive their 2-3 year bargain as a result of the risk they took.

FUJP!!

Luisito23
04-09-2009, 06:58 AM
I voted 10.5, but there's absolutely NO way I would go over that!

Don't Panic
04-09-2009, 07:45 AM
So this board thinks he's worth around $9.5 million per year, yet there are tons of defenders of the FO for not ponying up to his demands. I have to wonder how much more he wants per year... and if the gap is worth having a make-shift line next year (not that its not going to have its share of problems even with him).

Michael82
04-09-2009, 08:11 AM

Thank you!

The masses agree with me. Ive said for months 9-10 mill per year gets this done.
No it doesn't get it done...not if he won't budge from his $12 million.

psubills62
04-09-2009, 08:13 AM

Thank you!

How do you know Peters would be fine with that? If the Bills go to him with 9-10 million per year in hand and he rejects it...then it won't get it done. What do you do then?

Michael82
04-09-2009, 08:13 AM
So this board thinks he's worth around $9.5 million per year, yet there are tons of defenders of the FO for not ponying up to his demands. I have to wonder how much more he wants per year... and if the gap is worth having a make-shift line next year (not that its not going to have its share of problems even with him).
We aren't saying that he's worth it. We said that we'd basically suck it up and give it to him. Do you honestly believe that the Bills aren't willing to go higher than $8.5 million? Come on! Get real! From what I've read....Peters is the one not willing to negotiate. He wants to be the highest paid OL in the NFL no matter what. That's $12 million or more.

Michael82
04-09-2009, 08:14 AM
How do you know Peters would be fine with that? If the Bills go to him with 9-10 million per year in hand and he rejects it...then it won't get it done. What do you do then?
EXACTLY! :hi5:

jmb1099
04-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Offer him 20 million a year with the following stipulations:
1 million dollar deduction every time Trent is sacked from the left side
1 million dollar deduction for every penalty he commits
1 million dollar deduction for every whiny comment he or his agent makes
1 million dollar deduction for each day he shows up out of shape
1 Million dollar deduction for every run assignment he misses

Now this is a contract I can live with. So by my calculations we would owe him next to nothing based upon last years performance. Sound ridiculous? So does paying him more money per year than Tom Brady. Just saying....

X-Era
04-09-2009, 03:14 PM
No it doesn't get it done...not if he won't budge from his $12 million.

Et Tu?

Thats a rumor. No one has a link to where his agent, Jason, or anyone official from the Bills said that.

If the Bills offer a true 9-10 mill per and he wont take it, then I would make him play one more year on his existing contract and draft a new prospect to fill his shoes if he holds out.

Thats no worse than having no choice but to fill his shoes if we trade him. Sure a pick or two is nice, but winning and going to the playoffs someday is the goal... SB is the ultimate goal.

No way anyone can say were better with an all rookie left side. No way.

Obviously, theres many other options that may work... move Walker to LT, start Chambers at RT, sign a healthy Simmons, draft a mid round C/G.

But I dont see many clamoring for that version. Most want to trade Peters and then turn right around and draft a new high round OT. And even a fairly high round OG then start both.

Scary

The part thats the most troubling to me is that every year, every single year, we have people *****ing about the o-line... For years we had people complaining about not having a franchise LT. We have one, and now many want him gone.

Don't Panic
04-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Thats a rumor. No one has a link to where his agent, Jason, or anyone official from the Bills said that.

Exactly. I simply cannot put on blinders and forget how tight OBD has been in the past. There is no telling whether or not he's waiting for the FO to come up to $10 million a year or whether they're waiting for him to come down to that number, or whether its another number altogether. Point being that we have no idea where this thing is stalled at. Could be Peters, could be RW/RB who is being inflexible. Since we don't have that info., and we know that they could have renegotiated with him last year (at what is inarguably a lower number than what they're looking at this year), is it really worth scrapping the entire left side of our line for what could be a 2nd this year and a 1st next? Do you really believe he will play that poorly if he get's a market deal and goes through camp in its entirity?

psubills62
04-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Exactly. I simply cannot put on blinders and forget how tight OBD has been in the past. There is no telling whether or not he's waiting for the FO to come up to $10 million a year or whether they're waiting for him to come down to that number, or whether its another number altogether. Point being that we have no idea where this thing is stalled at. Could be Peters, could be RW/RB who is being inflexible. Since we don't have that info., and we know that they could have renegotiated with him last year (at what is inarguably a lower number than what they're looking at this year), is it really worth scrapping the entire left side of our line for what could be a 2nd this year and a 1st next? Do you really believe he will play that poorly if he get's a market deal and goes through camp in its entirity?

Yeah, we all know Lee Evans is complaining about how tight OBD has been. Kelsay and Schobel, too. Maybe Stroud would throw in his two cents.

It's so annoying when people complain about OBD being cheap or low-balling people because it's been painfully OBVIOUS that they don't do that any more than other teams in the league. I'd bet Jaguars fans are complaining about their team try to low-ball Maurice Jones-Drew, huh?

How many other teams automatically give in to any player's demands? How many other teams don't try to negotiate a price down to where they get a good deal? Yeah, because the Bills are the ONLY team to try and sign a player to a contract that is financially good for them.

Yes, all that stuff is mainly hearsay and rumors. But nevertheless, how does anyone here know that 10 million per year will "get it done?" Can anyone say for sure that Peters isn't demanding more than that? If you've got proof, feel free to post it.

Don't Panic
04-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah, we all know Lee Evans is complaining about how tight OBD has been. Kelsay and Schobel, too. Maybe Stroud would throw in his two cents.

It's so annoying when people complain about OBD being cheap or low-balling people because it's been painfully OBVIOUS that they don't do that any more than other teams in the league. I'd bet Jaguars fans are complaining about their team try to low-ball Maurice Jones-Drew, huh?

How many other teams automatically give in to any player's demands? How many other teams don't try to negotiate a price down to where they get a good deal? Yeah, because the Bills are the ONLY team to try and sign a player to a contract that is financially good for them.

Yes, all that stuff is mainly hearsay and rumors. But nevertheless, how does anyone here know that 10 million per year will "get it done?" Can anyone say for sure that Peters isn't demanding more than that? If you've got proof, feel free to post it.

There is no proof, and that's a point that was made. I have no problem with fiscal prudence (ie spending money properly), but we tend to operate out of this philosophy a lot of the time and then throw huge money at situations that don't warrant it. Kelsay, Denney, Royal, Dockery and a host of others are examples of this. This team is profitable, has been profitable, and will continue to be profitable as long as they field a decent team year in year out. We have a young Pro Bowl tackle (at least one time justified) who wants to be paid like the best at his position, and first made this request a year ago. If we had a young LT ready to step in and replace him then go ahead and trade him... I had no problem when OBD did that with Winfield and Clements. But when they don't (see: Pat Williams), then we are taking a step backwards, and at the price of not spending our $$$ on other marginal acquistions.

The goal should be for this team to make the playoffs this year. I think everyone agrees with that. How are we going to do that with retreads or rookies who aren't top-tier? This offense is ready to generate yards, points and time of possession. Minus a decent pass catching TE, we have all the pieces. FINALLY, we get to see what the cover 2 would look like with a good offense on the other side of it. But all of that will be seriously jeopardized if the line is not ready to roll. Call me a bit jaded, but I don't want to hit the second half of the season wanting, yet again, for us to have filled the one spot on our team that can make us competitive. Simply put, I don't see where else we are going to spend the money that we would be spending on Peters in a way that will offer anything close to equal return. That is enough reason to get to the table and get a deal done... and before the draft.