PDA

View Full Version : Sabres' Gerbe named AHL's Rookie of the Year

Dr. Lecter
04-08-2009, 01:45 PM
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … Portland Pirates winger Nathan Gerbe has been named the winner of the Dudley (Red) Garrett Memorial Award as the American Hockey League's outstanding rookie for the 2008-09 season, the league announced Wednesday.
The award is voted on by AHL coaches, players and media in each of the league's 29 member cities.
The 21-year-old Gerbe was selected by the Buffalo Sabres in the fifth round of the 2005 NHL draft and played three seasons at Boston College. The first-year pro has 27 goals and 26 assists for 53 points in 54 contests heading into Wedneday's game at the Worcester Sharks. He leads all AHL rookies in scoring average with 0.98 points per game and is tied for second with 11 power-play goals.
http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/633927.html

The Spaz
04-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Very nice. Buffalo may have a few more mini dynamic players in Gerbe and Tyler Ennis.

OpIv37
04-08-2009, 02:25 PM
So, name the players who should be cut to make room for Gerbe next season. Try to limit it to 10.

The Spaz
04-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Just off the top of my head it should be Afinogenov and Hecht.

SabreEleven
04-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Max seem to pick it up at the end of the season. I'm almost willing to keep him around next year.

SabreEleven
04-08-2009, 03:01 PM
So, name the players who should be cut to make room for Gerbe next season. Try to limit it to 10.

You can't cut anybody because they have a contract :rolleyes:

OpIv37
04-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Just off the top of my head it should be Afinogenov and Hecht.

At this point I think I'd keep Afinogenov over Hecht. While Max still leaves a lot to be desired, at least he stepped up his game and played much better over the last month or so than he did at the beginning of the season. That's more than I can say for Hecht, Pominville, Roy, Stafford and Connolly.

The only real advantage to Hecht over Max is that Hecht is less of a liability defensively.

Dr. Lecter
04-08-2009, 03:03 PM
At this point I think I'd keep Afinogenov over Hecht. While Max still leaves a lot to be desired, at least he stepped up his game and played much better over the last month or so than he did at the beginning of the season. That's more than I can say for Hecht, Pominville, Roy, Stafford and Connolly.

The only real advantage to Hecht over Max is that Hecht is less of a liability defensively.

Pominville has played his best hockey by far in the last month of the season.

OpIv37
04-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Pominville has played his best hockey by far in the last month of the season.

fair enough but it's a skewed scale. He was slightly above average for the last month. Before that he was non-existent. Ideally, he would have been slightly above average and stepped it up to "good" when the Sabres had injuries and had to make a final playoff push. But apparently there's some rule against the Sabres signing anyone who can do that.

Dr. Lecter
04-08-2009, 10:04 PM
I agree it is skewed. But he is back to his point a game average. If he can do that regularly, he will produce like he should.

But he was so crappy for 50+ games, he is way off the pace for the year.

THATHURMANATOR
04-09-2009, 08:45 AM
isn't max an Ufa guys??? How many times have we been through this? He is gone. I am not opposed to getting rid of anyone minus miller on this team. Make room for gerbe kennedy weber even ennis and myers if they are ready.

bigbub2352
04-09-2009, 09:36 AM
How about we just let some of these guys that will be UFA just walk stop trying to resign some of the bums that have been eating space here Max, Teppo to name a few
also u can feel free to trade Paille Hecht and Tallinder at any time