PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone name a single team that

X-Era
04-09-2009, 05:58 AM
changed over half of their starting O line and then went to the playoffs that same or even next year?

I cant

Furthermore, when I think about the leagues best teams, I think about them keeping the same line together for years. They may lose a player every few years, but not like this. NE comes to mind, Pitt, the Giants.

On the O line, continuity is extremely important. Yet we have some clamoring to make huge OL changes all in one year.

If your arguing we should get rid of Peters, your arguing that we should NOT make the playoffs next year; at least that's what the evidence is showing us.

Yasgur's Farm
04-09-2009, 06:10 AM
I haven't confirmed... But didn't the Steelers have a major overhaul of their O-line last year?

GreedoII
04-09-2009, 06:53 AM
The steelers had one of the worst lines in football actually. Big Ben was sacked over 40 times. The defense is what makes that team go. In the bowl Ben played lights out despite his line.

TacklingDummy
04-09-2009, 07:12 AM
changed over half of their starting O line and then went to the playoffs that same or even next year?

I don't follow any other team as closely as I do Buffalo, so your answer is no.

Night Train
04-09-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm convinced the guy made up his mind a year ago he didn't want to be here long term. Now his agent is forcing the issue.

Throwing insane $$ at him doesn't guarentee 2007 level All-Pro play if his head is somewhere else.

User Manuel
04-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I understand your point, but isn't the key element here the effectiveness of the line.

Lets look.

Peters - Underachieved and out of shape last year, asking for massive raise, may hold out.

Dockery - Awful

Fowler/Preston - Awful

Butler - Solid, if unspectacular

Walker - Had a great year.

Chambers- Solid in his time at RT and LT during Peters injury and holdout.

Wouldn't be keeping that unit together have been irresponsible?

User Manuel
04-09-2009, 08:10 AM
2008 Dolphins and Steelers right off the bat.

2008 Miami Dolphins

Long
Smiley
Satele
Ndukwe
Carey

The 2007 Dolphins
Carey
Liwienski
Satele
Hadnot
Shelton

2008 Steelers
Starks
Kemaeatu
Hartwig
Stapleton
Colon

2007 Steelers
Smith
Faneca
Mahen
Simmons
Colon

X-Era
04-09-2009, 10:01 AM
2008 Dolphins and Steelers right off the bat.

2008 Miami Dolphins

Long
Smiley
Satele
Ndukwe
Carey

The 2007 Dolphins
Carey
Liwienski
Satele
Hadnot
Shelton

2008 Steelers
Starks
Kemaeatu
Hartwig
Stapleton
Colon

2007 Steelers
Smith
Faneca
Mahen
Simmons
Colon

OK, the Steelers... but the fins were one of the worst teams in the league until last year. They wont prove that they have it all figured out until they can repeat it. Id also offer that the O-line was probably a small part of the Fins success... but that wasnt part of this equation so lets ignore that part.

Good find!

The Spaz
04-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Didn't the Giants do it a while back? It was due to injuries though.

Ickybaluky
04-09-2009, 10:34 AM
With the Steelers, Starks and Stapleton were taking the place of Smith and Simmons because of injury, and weren't initially starters. They had developed guys who could step in and play. They did bring in Hartwig, and lost Faneca to FA. However, they had developed depth to allow for such an overhaul.

Another one worth mentioning is the 2001 Pats. They started a rookie at LT in Matt Light, a first-year FA in Mike Compton at OG. The other starters were Damien Woody (3rd year with team), Joe Andruzzi (2nd year with team) and Greg Randall (2nd year with team). Their top backups were Grant Williams (2nd year with team), Grey Ruegamer (2nd year with team) and Kenyatto Jones (rookie). Randall got injured during the year and Williams took his place starting.

trapezeus
04-09-2009, 10:53 AM
the bills OL last year wasn't getting it done. they werent' the worst line the Bills have seen, but where the payrange is and what we are getting is unacceptable.

i'd be outraged if i thought last year's line was the thing that could get us to the playoffs. But they didn't. So if we have to tinker with it, so be it. i honestly don't think this team has a playoff run in them with jauron at helm, so who cares if the lineis ripped apart. but resigning jauron the team already told me they don't care about 2009.

jmb1099
04-09-2009, 11:31 AM
I know no one wants to think this was even remotely possible, but Chambers played solid ball last year.

justasportsfan
04-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Qb's also help in OL overhauls. While Chad wasn't all that he has experience and the wildcat formation kept D's guessing thanks to their coaches.

Trent is inexperienced and doesn't have a proven coach to help him out. I doubt our OL is gonna come close to any of those teams if our OL is overhauled.

madness
04-09-2009, 12:29 PM
If it's broke... fix it.

If it's still broke... check your work and fix it again.

If it's still broke... bring in somebody else to fix it.

If it's still broke... give up hope, die and sell the franchise on ebay.

realdealryan
04-09-2009, 01:36 PM
'07 Colts

LT Tony Ugoh/Charlie Johnson
LG Ryan Lilja
C Jeff Saturday
RG Jake Scott
RT Ryan Diem/Charlie Johnson

'08 Colts

LT Tony Ugoh
LG Charlie Johnson/Jamey Richard
C Jeff Saturday/Jamey Richard
RG Mike Pollak
RT Ryan Diem

and various shuffling.

40-50% change? It's all I heard about around here. O-line, o-line, it's so bad......STFU 12-4!

jamze132
04-10-2009, 05:47 AM
The Bills won't be in the playoffs this year so who cares? :idunno: