PDA

View Full Version : If we had 4 1st round picks I wouldnt get Pettigrew

Mitchell55
04-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Why? Look at his scouting report

Good

Outstanding size with a large frame...Very long arms...Smooth and a good natural athlete...Has big soft hands and can make the difficult catch...Great strength...Excellent blocker in-line and in space...Stout at the point of attack and can anchor...Gets a good push in the run game...Really knows how to use his body...Powerful runner who can do some damage after the catch...Tough with a killer instinct and plays with a nasty demeanor...Has lots of experience... Still has some upside.

Bad

Average timed speed...Is not real quick or explosive...Motor runs hot and cold at times...Has room to improve as a route runner...Needs to work on his ball security...Not very elusive...Questionable football IQ ... Minor durability concerns ... Ran into some trouble off the field.

Now you know what I got out of this.

Good, great blocker, great size

Bad, fumbles, not fast, not great route runner, injury problems, no run after catch

Now who does this sound like

Schouman? Royal? Fine? Darian Barnes :chuckle:

Not only that but we are supposably looking for a pass catching TE to cause match up problems. Not a biger and younger version of royal. Nothing about this guy screems Winslow or Gates or Gonzalaz.

Just for kicks, lets show one of my guys. Travis Beckum in the 3rd-4th

Strengths:
Excellent athleticism...Great speed and quickness with a burst...Long arms...Very soft hands...Terrific body control and ball skills...Good leaper...Smooth and runs good routes...Can get down the seam and stretch the field vertically...Shows some elusiveness after the catch and runs hard...Will work the middle and catch the ball in traffic...Able to line up all over the field...Super confident...Impressive production.

Weaknesses:
Just average height and bulk...Small hands...Not very physical and weight room strength doesn't transfer...Leaves much to be desired as a blocker, especially in-line...Intelligence has been questioned...Has been labeled as immature by some...Durability's a concern..' Tweener?

What I got out

Fast, Athletic, Balls skills, vertical threat, good after catch, hops, can catch ball in middle,

Small, not great blocker, immature

Stats

Beckum last year, 6 games

23 catches, 264 yds

Pettigrew in 10 games

42 catches, 472 yds

Vids

BP- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBWke-myLQw

TB- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK9t_FHkMz0

BILLSROCK1212
04-09-2009, 07:19 PM
good post Mitchell good post

Mitchell55
04-09-2009, 07:22 PM
good post Mitchell good post

Added more that I forgot to write. Accidentley pressed post to quick.

DrGraves
04-09-2009, 07:25 PM
The Bills would definitely take him if we had that many 1st rounders.

BILLSROCK1212
04-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Added more that I forgot to write. Accidentley pressed post to quick.no worries no worries...i gotta agree w/ u....the guy does nothing for me to show that he deserves to be a first rounder, i wouldnt even pick him in the second, jared cook and shawne nelson are more of what we need otherwise i'm fine w/ letting schouman and fine develope

Mitchell55
04-09-2009, 07:41 PM
The Bills would definitely take him if we had that many 1st rounders.

The bills would, I wouldnt

FlyingDutchman
04-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Maybe people should watch players during the college season to make their OWN opinion instead of making their decisions based on what someone else writes.

yordad
04-09-2009, 07:59 PM
I would rather have Pettigrew, but not enough more to take him 2 rounds higher, and not enough for a 1st. I think our T.O. addition makes him perfect for our short term needs, in the very least. <!-- Start Post Thank You Hack --> (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?do=post_thanks_add&p=2869752)

psubills62
04-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Considering Pettigrew has recorded zero fumbles (I think he actually did fumble once, but ESPN has zero in his stats for his entire career), I don't think it's much of a weakness.

So now Pettigrew has injury problems as one of his negatives, but Beckum doesn't? Even though he spent most of this past season out with a major injury?

Pettigrew has extremely soft hands, and makes great catches, funny how you didn't mention that in your little summary. Looks like you're only seeing what you want to see out of that scouting report. He is very tough to bring down, and the only reason he won't get a ton of YAC is because he's not real fast. But he will get tough yards. And maybe you missed the part saying "Powerful runner who can do some damage after the catch"

If you want to draft Beckum, why don't we just get a wide receiver? That's essentially what Beckum is.

Pettigrew can't stretch the seam, but he's a very dependable receiver who is great on the short routes. Gee, it would really suck to have a dependable receiver for Trent who could help our running game out tremendously.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm not sure how the stats help your argument. Pettigrew average more yards per game and more catches per game.

Nighthawk
04-09-2009, 08:06 PM
I don't want Pettigrew...I feel there is better value later in the draft.

BillsWin
04-09-2009, 08:13 PM
How the hell are we getting 4 first round picks?

Nighthawk
04-09-2009, 08:15 PM

It's the Madden way!

Mitchell55
04-09-2009, 08:41 PM

It was hypothetical. Basically I was saying how much I dont want him.

Mitchell55
04-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Considering Pettigrew has recorded zero fumbles (I think he actually did fumble once, but ESPN has zero in his stats for his entire career), I don't think it's much of a weakness. Just saying what I read

So now Pettigrew has injury problems as one of his negatives, but Beckum doesn't? Even though he spent most of this past season out with a major injury? Durability is injury problems

Pettigrew has extremely soft hands, and makes great catches, funny how you didn't mention that in your little summary. Looks like you're only seeing what you want to see out of that scouting report. He is very tough to bring down, and the only reason he won't get a ton of YAC is because he's not real fast. But he will get tough yards. And maybe you missed the part saying "Powerful runner who can do some damage after the catch" I agree, didnt see it at 1st glance, good catch. But still have never seen it him live, maybe last year but never saw it this year.

If you want to draft Beckum, why don't we just get a wide receiver? That's essentially what Beckum is. Same could be said about dustin kellar and kellen winslow.

Pettigrew can't stretch the seam, but he's a very dependable receiver who is great on the short routes. Gee, it would really suck to have a dependable receiver for Trent who could help our running game out tremendously. Yes, but the same was with Royal. Royal was known for 4 yd- 11 yd passes, Trent used him alot last year. Royal was a dependable short yardage reciever who blocked very well. Same with Brandon.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm not sure how the stats help your argument. Pettigrew average more yards per game and more catches per game.

Mitchell55
04-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Maybe people should watch players during the college season to make their OWN opinion instead of making their decisions based on what someone else writes.

I dont watch college football alot. It bores the crap out of me and is hard to get into since every player is gone after 2-3 years (freshmans dont play often). I watch alot of videos and special features when they go into the NFL though.

kid mickey
04-09-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm gonna disagree with you. I think Pettigrew is just a TE that is gonna be great in this league. He may not have a Tony Gonzalez career, but he is definitely worth a mid to late first round selection. His blocking alone makes him an incredible player. He is literally a sixth offensive lineman who can go out and catch the ball. He would definitely help this team especially if we end up trading Peters and fill that hole with a rookie left tackle. The man is better than Robert Royal. No he is not a burner. More the Witten type with better blocking ability. A true old school complete TE. I would be willing to bet that if the Bills move Peters by draft day and get a mid first for him that pick will be Brandon Pettigrew. Just so you know just about every receiver heading into the NFL has to work on his routes. I'll take the 4.85 guy. If he could produce around 600 yds a season in the NFL and 5 TDs I wouldn't be mad.

OpIv37
04-09-2009, 10:31 PM

Dude, Mitchell59 traded a 3rd round draft pick for Tony G in Madden and he put up 26 touchdowns and 1800 yards receiving. Pettigrew couldn't even do that in college- therefore, he sucks.

It's really not that difficult to understand.

Mitchell55
04-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Dude, Mitchell59 traded a 3rd round draft pick for Tony G in Madden and he put up 26 touchdowns and 1800 yards receiving. Pettigrew couldn't even do that in college- therefore, he sucks.

It's really not that difficult to understand.

STFU

realdealryan
04-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Pettigrew's speed is only going to be like 71 in Madden. Don't draft him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mark Campbell speed!

Mitchell55
04-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Pettigrew's speed is only going to be like 71 in Madden. Don't draft him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mark Campbell speed!

Yes, thanks for the mature response.

Mitchell55
04-09-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm gonna disagree with you. I think Pettigrew is just a TE that is gonna be great in this league. He may not have a Tony Gonzalez career, but he is definitely worth a mid to late first round selection. His blocking alone makes him an incredible player. He is literally a sixth offensive lineman who can go out and catch the ball. He would definitely help this team especially if we end up trading Peters and fill that hole with a rookie left tackle. The man is better than Robert Royal. No he is not a burner. More the Witten type with better blocking ability. A true old school complete TE. I would be willing to bet that if the Bills move Peters by draft day and get a mid first for him that pick will be Brandon Pettigrew. Just so you know just about every receiver heading into the NFL has to work on his routes. I'll take the 4.85 guy. If he could produce around 600 yds a season in the NFL and 5 TDs I wouldn't be mad.

The thing is we already have Pettigrew. Fine, Schouman, and Royal all share the same strengths and weaknesses. All are slow players with good hands, cant stretch the field, mainly blockers, and arent game changers. I like Coffeman or Beckum instead. Both need help blocking but so do alot of TEs comming into the NFL.

realdealryan
04-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Yes, thanks for the mature response.

Are you old enough to remember Mark Campbell? S.L.O.W.!!!!

Also he caught 3 tds in one game. I can't decide if I want Dustin Keller speed or a plodding Metzelaars type. Email Turk for me.

Wait. Metzelaars was awesome. Wabash College ftw. I've been to some killer parties there.

Mitchell55
04-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Are you old enough to remember Mark Campbell? S.L.O.W.!!!!

Also he caught 3 tds in one game. I can't decide if I want Dustin Keller speed or a plodding Metzelaars type. Email Turk for me.

1st, I was making reference to Madden quote. 2nd, yes I remember Campbell, he was the TE in my era. 3rd, as of right now, we need a Keller, weve seen what we have done with Pettigrew 4 times before with Campbell, Royal, Neufeld, and Fine. All slow blocking TEs who cant stretch the field.

realdealryan
04-09-2009, 11:45 PM
1st, I was making reference to Madden quote. 2nd, yes I remember Campbell, he was the TE in my era. 3rd, as of right now, we need a Keller, weve seen what we have done with Pettigrew 4 times before with Campbell, Royal, Neufeld, and Fine. All slow blocking TEs who cant stretch the field.
What was wrong with stretching the field with the WRs and throwing checkdowns to Campbell? Royal and Neufeld were no Campbell, and Fine hasn't gotten a chance yet.

PS. In your era? I'm still in my era. When did yours end?

Mitchell55
04-09-2009, 11:46 PM
What was wrong with stretching the field with the WRs and throwing checkdowns to Campbell?

It hasnt worked in 15 years, why continue?

realdealryan
04-09-2009, 11:54 PM
It hasnt worked in 15 years, why continue?
Continue? We haven't thrown 3 tds to a TE in a while. We need more the Lee (getting double-teamed) and more the Robert (POSSIBLY getting open and DEFINITELY fumbling). We might have both this year without Pettigrew. Who knows?

**edit** I don't even know wtf this means now that I'm sober.

Mitchell55
04-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Continue? We haven't thrown 3 tds to a TE in a while. We need more the Lee (getting double-teamed) and more the Robert (POSSIBLY getting open and DEFINITELY fumbling). We might have both this year without Pettigrew. Who knows?

What im saying is after 15 years of having TEs who cant stretch the field and after every year needing another TE, isnt it time to pick up one that can and make things different?

BillsOwnAll
04-09-2009, 11:57 PM
For someone who openly admits to not watching college football You sure have alot of brilliant insight on the draft.

Mitchell55
04-10-2009, 12:03 AM
For someone who openly admits to not watching college football You sure have alot of brilliant insight on the draft.
I do alot of studying after the draft. Watching videos, hereing comments. Not only that but I live in Austin Texas so im forced to know most of the Texas, A&M, and Oklahoma players. Honestly after the college season leading up to the draft I dont know most players in the draft and take what I see in videos, stats, comments, and experts and form my own opinion on most players in the draft.

realdealryan
04-10-2009, 12:17 AM
I wouldn't say that we haven't had an effective TE in 15 years.

I do alot of studying after the draft. Watching videos, hereing comments. Not only that but I live in Austin Texas so im forced to know most of the Texas, A&M, and Oklahoma players. Honestly after the college season leading up to the draft I dont know most players in the draft and take what I see in videos, stats, comments, and experts and form my own opinion on most players in the draft.

I was pretty sure I was the only Bills fan in Austin when I was there, though. I'm not really sold on the Dallas Clark-type TE. You really need a solid line for that guy. A NYJ/IND/SD line.

Mitchell55
04-10-2009, 12:22 AM
I wouldn't say that we haven't had an effective TE in 15 years.

I was pretty sure I was the only Bills fan in Austin when I was there, though. I'm not really sold on the Dallas Clark-type TE. You really need a solid line for that guy. A NYJ/IND/SD line.
Still is a asset. Aside from Reimersma who have we had?

Devin
04-10-2009, 12:52 AM
The bills would, I wouldnt

Which is why you arent a GM.

Mitchell55
04-10-2009, 12:53 AM
Which is why you arent a GM.
No its why I should be. LOL. If Pettigrew wasnt hyped up as he is than people would be calling him a 5th rounder around Rucker.

jamze132
04-10-2009, 05:10 AM
The thing is we already have Pettigrew. Fine, Schouman, and Royal all share the same strengths and weaknesses. All are slow players with good hands, cant stretch the field, mainly blockers, and arent game changers. I like Coffeman or Beckum instead. Both need help blocking but so do alot of TEs comming into the NFL.
Uh, we don't have Robert Royal anymore.

Rhettoric
04-10-2009, 09:17 AM
You are quoting Scott Wright's scouting report (http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/te/Brandon-Pettigrew.php), but yet you are ignoring the fact that he has Pettigrew ranked 13 overall and graded in the first round. Frankly Scott's scouting reports could make a probowler sound like a practice squad candidate when taken out of context. I am not a huge Pettigrew fan, but I would not be opposed to him late in the first. At least his name is not Derek :rolleyes:

Mitchell55
04-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Uh, we don't have Robert Royal anymore.

Dude, I know that. If you have read each post I have consistantley been saying, why get rid of Royal for a young Royal.

Mitchell55
04-10-2009, 12:37 PM
You are quoting Scott Wright's scouting report (http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/te/Brandon-Pettigrew.php), but yet you are ignoring the fact that he has Pettigrew ranked 13 overall and graded in the first round. Frankly Scott's scouting reports could make a probowler sound like a practice squad candidate when taken out of context. I am not a huge Pettigrew fan, but I would not be opposed to him late in the first. At least his name is not Derek :rolleyes:

I admit, hes the best tight end in the draft at what he does. Block and catch short passes. But we need a TE that can create matchup problems, go deep, and catch short passes but has the speed to take a short pass to a 15-20 yd gain.

ddaryl
04-10-2009, 12:42 PM
I admit, hes the best tight end in the draft at what he does. Block and catch short passes. But we need a TE that can create matchup problems, go deep, and catch short passes but has the speed to take a short pass to a 15-20 yd gain.

Not if we have multiple WR who can stretch the field. In that situation a TE who can block and roll out for the dump down is a great option. never under estimate blocking...

FINE showed some ability to catch the mid level pass last year..

Honestly if we had 3 1st rd picks Pettigew would definitetly be an option

psubills62
04-10-2009, 12:53 PM

Why do you think Pettigrew is rated so highly? Why is he one of the best TE's in the draft?

Because he can block SO WELL, and he is a very good receiver in a limited range. Put Pettigrew out on the field and the defense doesn't know what we're going to do - run or pass? He plays both very well. Put Beckum on the field, and the defense has a good idea of what we're going to do - pass.

Pettigrew gives the offense a lot more options. If you want someone to stretch the field, get a WR. There's a reason tight ends are also blockers.

He's not a younger Robert Royal, stop saying that. He is taller, has more length, he's much tougher, has less problem with fumbles, blocks better, has softer hands, but is slightly less athletic. Royal's actually more of a field-stretcher than Pettigrew is, he just fumbles half the time when he's more than 20 yards out. Almost 20% of Royal's catches were 20+ yards.

jamze132
04-10-2009, 01:37 PM
When I was 15 I was chasing girls and trying to drink some beer. Now I'm in my 30's with a family and on a Bills message board.

HHURRICANE
04-10-2009, 02:50 PM

Did you watch him? Do you have an opinion?

Mitchell55
04-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Not if we have multiple WR who can stretch the field. In that situation a TE who can block and roll out for the dump down is a great option. never under estimate blocking...

FINE showed some ability to catch the mid level pass last year..

Honestly if we had 3 1st rd picks Pettigew would definitetly be an option

Honestly, after watching peoples responces. Im warming up to the idea but still would rather Beckum in round 3-4.