I'm starting to warm up to Pettigrew as the pick...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sauce
    • Dec 2008

I'm starting to warm up to Pettigrew as the pick...

I must say I hated the idea of Pettigrew at #11 to the Bills...I still don't prefer Pettigrew as the pick but the more I think about it the more I am starting to warm up to it because he is the TOTAL package and although he didnt have good redzone numbers his solid underneath routes should open up the field for Owens and Evans.

With a TE this offense could be very good. If his blocking is as good as everyone says (Watch the tape he owned Orakpo when they played) then he could act as a 6th OL for what could end up being a weak group. Not only would he help out a young QB but he would open up lanes for Lynch and Jackson....

Pettigrew lack of redzone produce could be because OKST's coach designs his red zone offense around other options. 57 of Oklahoma State's 63 offensive TDs were scored either by rushing (38 TDs) or throwing to favorite red zone target Dez Bryant (19 TDs). Bryant may well be the first WR off the board in the 2010 draft if he keeps playing the way he has.

I'm just terrified of the Bills selecting a DE @ #11 who will not produce in years 1 and 2. The Bills do not have that luxury like the Giants or another team would....They need someone to step in and produce in regards to the pass rush from DAY 1.

What I'm torn on is do you get more value in this draft going TE/DE or DE/TE in the first two rounds...

Say Pettigrew/Sidbury or Barwin opposed to Maybin or Ayers/ Nelson or Casey

I'm starting to lean toward TE/DE assuming Micheal Oher is not available

Thoughts?
    Last edited by sauce; 04-10-2009, 03:56 PM.
  • mayotm
    • Jul 2003

Re: I'm starting to warm up to Pettigrew as the pick...

With all the other needs, I don't think Pettigrew is the right pick at 11. I also don't think TE is as much of a need with the Owens signing. This draft is pretty deep at TE. They can get a good player in the third round.

Comment

• yordad
      • Dec 2007

Unfortunately, I agree with mayotm. They have too many glaring needs to grab Pettigrew @11. It just cannot happen, IMO.
      Last edited by yordad; 04-10-2009, 04:11 PM.
      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Nighthawk
        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
        • Jul 2002

No...no...and no. This guy is not worthy of the #11 pick and IMO, not worthy of us taking him as our first pick...no matter if we trade down or not.

Comment

• Mitchell55
          only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
          • Feb 2008

Only if we end up with more than 1 1st round or even 2nd round pick.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Nighthawk
            No...no...and no. This guy is not worthy of the #11 pick and IMO, not worthy of us taking him as our first pick...no matter if we trade down or not.
            I think asking if Pettigrew is worth the #11 pick is the WRONG question.

The Bills have at least 3 needs higher than TE- DE, OLB, LG. So, he's not the right pick for the Bills even if he is worthy. His worth is irrelevant to Buffalo.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

blah

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

He is not even close to an 11th round pick, and nowhere near our biggest need.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• sauce
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                  You do know that DE's usually DO NOT contribute in year 1 right?

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

I'd TP the Ralph if he was our first pick.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Nighthawk
                      Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by sauce
                      You do realize that you can say that for most rookies...don't you? What is your point?

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by sauce
                        So if your theory is 100% correct, we should stay clear of them this year because we need a contributor? Well if they do take 2 years to play, then I guess he would be ready next year then, eh? It's not like we are going to the playoffs this year anyways?

BTW, I do not agree that it is imperative that we have a contributor from our #11 pick. Obviously you would expect one, but I'm not going to draft a TE over DE because he might not start the first game of the season.

Comment

• mayotm
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                          I would take him as an "11th round pick", but not with the 11th pick in the draft.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by mayotm
                            I would take him as an "11th round pick", but not with the 11th pick in the draft.
                            I didn't phrase that too well, did I?
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• kid mickey
                              • Apr 2009

I like Pettigrew, but not at 11. I think that other positions could/should be addressed before TE. Granted I do believe the Bills are looking for one. Just not at 11. I think his best value is around the 20's. As a player is the best of the bunch, but the problem is TE's do not traditionally go that high unless they run an insane 40 time and have production to match it. A la V.D. lol. San Fran's got V.D. I made a funny.
                              Biggest Donte Whitner supporter on this entire message board...Maybe biggest Donte Whitner fan ever...Wish there was a white throwback out that I could get of you guessed it #20...

Comment

Working...
                              X