PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft Ratings

psubills62
04-10-2009, 03:58 PM
OK, so this is going to be a little long, but I think a lot of people who visit this forum should be interested in this. For a while, I've thought there should be some way to objectively rank each draft analyst based on their mock draft. There would be many factors, like some of the following: how many picks they got exactly correct, how far off they were with regards to where a player was drafted, if the team picked the same position (even if it wasn't the same player), etc.

Now before I really get going with this, someone stop me if another person has done this already. But I've started an Excel spreadsheet where I tabulated results from the 1st round of last year for: Kiper, Mayock, McShay, Matt McGuire and Walter (the latter two from walterfootball.com).

Right now, all I've done is go through the first rounds of their mock drafts (that's all I could find) of 2008, and compared them to the actual draft in 2008. So, for example, I went through Kiper's draft, pick by pick, and calculated how many spots removed a player actually was drafted, from where Kiper projected him to be picked.

So, for example, according to this website,

http://mb.jaguars.com/Topic513822-20-1.aspx

Kiper thought that McFadden would go to the Jets at pick 6, when he actually went to the Raiders at pick 4. So that would give Kiper a score of 2 for pick #6 (where he projected McFadden to go). If they got it exactly right, in the same spot (EVEN IF it wasn't the same team), then I gave them a 0. Then I took the average of those values for the first round, and tabulated them.

Obviously, I have to include other factors, but I didn't have the time yet (maybe this summer). For example, I want to include a factor that helps them if a team drafts the same position as an analyst projected, but a different player. Also, a factor that would help that analyst if there was trading that messed up their mock, or if they got a decent amount correct in the LATTER half of the first round (picks 16-32).

Does this make sense so far? I'll be around late tonight to try and answer any clarification questions.

Here's what I'd like from you guys:

1) Let me know who you want me to analyze. I've got Kiper, Mayock, McShay, Matt McGuire, and Walter so far. Is there anyone else you want me to add?

2) I haven't checked for sure, but I'm pretty sure I need ESPN Insider to access Kiper and McShay's mock drafts. When they post their final mock drafts prior to the actual draft, could someone post the whole thing, so I can record it?

3) What other factors should I include?

4) How many rounds should I go? Obviously I'm limited by how many rounds each analyst picks, but if Matt McGuire goes all 7 rounds, and Kiper only goes 3, I'm not sure it's fair to compare them.

I welcome any other comments. The ultimate goal of this is to get a formula that gives one final score for each analyst based on multiple mock draft factors.

Let me know if you support this venture. Here's the "scores" I have so far:

Kiper: 6.29, 9 exactly correct
Mayock: 4.45, 11 exactly correct
McShay: 7.23, 5 exactly correct
Matt McGuire: 13.42, 6 exactly correct
Walter: 8.10, 7 exactly correct

The first score is the average number of spots that their first round picks were off by, as given in the example above with Kiper.

Again, I welcome any comments or discussion about this. Thanks!

psubills62
04-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Also, I'm thinking that given the right format, I could also load our own mock drafts and compare them to the professional analysts.

Mitchell55
04-10-2009, 05:32 PM
3 rounds.

Ron Burgundy
04-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Rick Gosselin is God.

psubills62
04-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Rick Gosselin is God.

Gosselin: 6.77, 9 exactly right

TigerJ
04-13-2009, 01:54 PM
So of the ones you've thus evaluated, Mike Mayock is blowing the competition away, right?

psubills62
04-13-2009, 02:50 PM
So of the ones you've thus evaluated, Mike Mayock is blowing the competition away, right?

Yep. According to the basic evaluation, which is based only on 2008, Mayock is heads and shoulders above the rest.

ddaryl
04-13-2009, 03:50 PM
you should look at some of the mock drafts like Scout.com, Walterfootball. Consensus draft services, great Blue Draft report.... etc...

compare these sites to the big boys...

otherwise it is kind of cool to see a rating system. I bet this system has it's place on the web too. I could see lots of football fans using the info in debates. It is a great way to keep these mockery's of the mock in check

psubills62
04-13-2009, 10:51 PM
you should look at some of the mock drafts like Scout.com, Walterfootball. Consensus draft services, great Blue Draft report.... etc...

compare these sites to the big boys...

otherwise it is kind of cool to see a rating system. I bet this system has it's place on the web too. I could see lots of football fans using the info in debates. It is a great way to keep these mockery's of the mock in check

I did both guys on walterfootball.com. At this point, my classes are keeping me too busy to do many of the other websites.

Once I get the time to work on it, I'll start by formatting it so it's easy to enter the names and have it calculate the ratings on its own. Then maybe I'll work on including the other factors.

I really do think it would be good to have a system comparing all the draft sites, analysts, etc. I'd put it on a website, but I don't have that much internet savvy, nor do I have the time or money. But maybe, I'm hoping it will spread.

Ron Burgundy
04-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Gosselin: 6.77, 9 exactly right

Float it back a few years. He's better than anybody.

Especially check the "top 150" board. Rather than just concentrating on who picks whom in the first round, Goose consistently slots the best players in each draft.

ServoBillieves
04-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Post mine and compare it for the Bills. Guarantee I'm at least 0/7!

psubills62
04-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Float it back a few years. He's better than anybody.

Especially check the "top 150" board. Rather than just concentrating on who picks whom in the first round, Goose consistently slots the best players in each draft.

Problem is, I have to compare a mock draft to an actual draft. I can't compare a Big Board to the actual draft. There's several reasons for this:

1) Just because a player is ranked at a certain spot (e.g. Crabtree at #1), doesn't mean that's where he'll go, due to team needs, defensive schemes, etc. For example, the Bills may not value some of the 3-4 OLB prospects because they don't fit their scheme, while another team may value them more.

2) So, in other words, some teams value guys more than other teams do. Whitner wasn't the 8th best player in the draft.

3) Being able to be accurate on a mock draft shows that an analyst is much more in tune with team needs AND how teams value players.

Those are my feelings. I just don't see any legitimate way to compare a top 150 prospects list to the draft, to be honest.

Ron Burgundy
04-16-2009, 01:51 AM
Problem is, I have to compare a mock draft to an actual draft. I can't compare a Big Board to the actual draft. There's several reasons for this:

1) Just because a player is ranked at a certain spot (e.g. Crabtree at #1), doesn't mean that's where he'll go, due to team needs, defensive schemes, etc. For example, the Bills may not value some of the 3-4 OLB prospects because they don't fit their scheme, while another team may value them more.

2) So, in other words, some teams value guys more than other teams do. Whitner wasn't the 8th best player in the draft.

3) Being able to be accurate on a mock draft shows that an analyst is much more in tune with team needs AND how teams value players.

Those are my feelings. I just don't see any legitimate way to compare a top 150 prospects list to the draft, to be honest.

It's no biggie at all. I figured if you were looking for a way to pass the time until the season gets here, that's a good place to burn a bunch of it.

IMO, the top 150 guys should go somewhere around the top 150 picks. There's room for what you speak of, but using that many players tends to wash out some of the scheme/needs questions.

It's not perfect, but it's also mock drafting...not exactly a science, y'know? I love this **** but taking pride in it is like taking pride in your masturbating skills.

psubills62
04-16-2009, 08:05 AM
It's no biggie at all. I figured if you were looking for a way to pass the time until the season gets here, that's a good place to burn a bunch of it.

IMO, the top 150 guys should go somewhere around the top 150 picks. There's room for what you speak of, but using that many players tends to wash out some of the scheme/needs questions.

It's not perfect, but it's also mock drafting...not exactly a science, y'know? I love this **** but taking pride in it is like taking pride in your masturbating skills.

Haha I agree. I could be wrong, but I thought I saw someone compare Mayock's top 100 to the top 100 picks, and they said something like 90 of them went in the top 100.

I'm sure it could be done, but honestly, I don't have the time. At this point, I'm hoping I'll have the time to record the "experts' " mock drafts before the actual draft occurs.

psubills62
04-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Just want to bump this before the draft. Could someone with ESPN Insider post Kiper and McShay's mock drafts (first three rounds)? Unfortunately, I'm going to be gone most of the weekend, so I won't have too much time to gather mock drafts.

Actually, it might be more plausible if you just email them to me. I'll be very, very grateful to anyone that sends me a text file or whatever file...as long as I have the picks, teams, and names I can eventually organize it. Thanks to everyone for their comments.