PDA

View Full Version : Why not an incentive ladened contract?

yordad
04-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Why not an incentive ladened contract for Peters? It can make him feel as if the Bills gave in, and it makes him feel like he is the highest paid LT in the game. But, most of all, he has to keep earning it.

What kind of incentives and escalators can you add?
A probowl
Starting X games
Starting y games
Team makes playoffs

What else can you do? One would like to say...
penalty yards
sacks

But these things seem more subjective. Are they used?

There is probably more, but what are they?

psubills62
04-10-2009, 11:10 PM
That would be great...the only problem is, Peters would never agree to it. He and his agent understand the contracts better than we ever could...I seriously doubt the Bills could fool him into signing a contract that makes it so he has to earn almost every penny. There's a reason "guaranteed money" has been the outrageous fad nowadays.

SeatownBillsFan21
04-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Great idea but i agree with psu at this point there playing hardball and only guaranteed money will solve it. its sad that we think he should have to earn his money what a waste i have a feeling this could end bad.Either we get a deal done (trade or extend) or its holdout time again.

jamze132
04-11-2009, 02:05 AM
I think the NFLPA would take issue with an incentive laden contract with one of the premier LTs in the game.

yordad
04-11-2009, 06:37 AM
That would be great...the only problem is, Peters would never agree to it. He and his agent understand the contracts better than we ever could...I seriously doubt the Bills could fool him into signing a contract that makes it so he has to earn almost every penny. There's a reason "guaranteed money" has been the outrageous fad nowadays.Not really fool him. Just make him be able to say "yeah, I'm the highest paid". It is almost like it is an ego thing at this point.

yordad
04-11-2009, 06:39 AM
I think the NFLPA would take issue with an incentive laden contract with one of the premier LTs in the game.Why, and how so?

mush69
04-11-2009, 07:10 AM
I have often thought this too was a good idea. It would be hard to come up with incentives for an offensive lineman though.

In Hockey and Lacrosse the stats show points for and against a player when they are on the field of play. I only wish this kind of scoring system could be used, but I relize in Hockey and Lacrosse the players have to both be the offense and defense. Unlike football were that is to different sides of the ball with two different squads.

HAMMER
04-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Never happen Yordad, are you sure Mitchell didn't log into your account?

ddaryl
04-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I was caling out incnetive based contract way before FA. I think the issue is 110% Peters. He wants guarenteed money and that is it.

and that worries me too. A player who has guarentees no longer has a carrot to strive for.

methos4ever
04-11-2009, 11:27 AM
For Peters the incentives can be weight and workout-related. So, if they gave him a 6 year, 62 million dollar contract (to offset whatever the number one pick, if tackle got, I'm pushing it from 60 to 62) - you can have each year a 4-5 million dollar roster bonus, if you are at x weight during weight checks you get another 750k each time, if you show up to offseason conditioning (85%) he gets 3 mil...etc.

Pro bowl/all pro votes, playoffs by round, allow the least amount of sacks in the conference/league...

Tons of ways - the problem is Peters and Parker just want the cash with no guarantees on their end he'll perform and won't hold out in a year for more than that first pick.

The Juice Is Loose
04-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Peters has been turning down awesome deals. He's a greedy guy. What else can you say? Making millions upon millions isn't enough. He'd rather crush the teams cap room just to say he's the best.

He's playing for money. Once he's paid he'll drop off. I want him gone.

yordad
04-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Never happen Yordad, are you sure Mitchell didn't log into your account?
I don't think I am the only one who thinks Peters demanding his contract contain none of this is a bit unreasonable, especially considering his track record. In fact, it is further proof he is completely unwilling to compromise.

For Peters the incentives can be weight and workout-related. So, if they gave him a 6 year, 62 million dollar contract (to offset whatever the number one pick, if tackle got, I'm pushing it from 60 to 62) - you can have each year a 4-5 million dollar roster bonus, if you are at x weight during weight checks you get another 750k each time, if you show up to offseason conditioning (85%) he gets 3 mil...etc.

Pro bowl/all pro votes, playoffs by round, allow the least amount of sacks in the conference/league...

Tons of ways - the problem is Peters and Parker just want the cash with no guarantees on their end he'll perform and won't hold out in a year for more than that first pick.Thankyou.

Peters has been turning down awesome deals. He's a greedy guy. What else can you say? Making millions upon millions isn't enough. He'd rather crush the teams cap room just to say he's the best.

He's playing for money. Once he's paid he'll drop off. I want him gone.Exactly why any reasonabe team like the Bills should be leary. And, exactly why these incentives should be in place.

HAMMER
04-11-2009, 11:18 PM
I don't think I am the only one who thinks Peters demanding his contract contain none of this is a bit unreasonable, especially considering his track record. In fact, it is further proof he is completely unwilling to compromise.
Thankyou.
Exactly why any reasonabe team like the Bills should be leary. And, exactly why these incentives should be in place.

Precedent, why would he, if no one else does? It would be dumb of him and his agent. It doesn't happen at the LT position.

jamze132
04-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Why, and how so?

It's similar to baseball in that players contracts are pretty much based on other players a the same position and stats. If a certain player takes a contract well less than what he is worth, he can have a ripple effect on every other player in that same position trying to get a new deal done.

If a team offers a player a contract well above market value, the NFLPA usually encourages that player to take the deal, even if the player doesn't really want to play for that team. They can also put pressure on a player not to take a certain deal if it could negatively effect future contracts.

Also why would any player in his prime accept a contract that only pays him if he plays lights out? If he gets hurt at the onset of the contract, he gets paid nothing. This is why all players in the NFL cherish that "guaranteed" portion of their deal. Unlike baseball, contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed for the life of the deal.

It's weird, look into it further if you would like.

yordad
04-12-2009, 03:06 PM
It's similar to baseball in that players contracts are pretty much based on other players a the same position and stats. If a certain player takes a contract well less than what he is worth, he can have a ripple effect on every other player in that same position trying to get a new deal done.

If a team offers a player a contract well above market value, the NFLPA usually encourages that player to take the deal, even if the player doesn't really want to play for that team. They can also put pressure on a player not to take a certain deal if it could negatively effect future contracts.

Also why would any player in his prime accept a contract that only pays him if he plays lights out? If he gets hurt at the onset of the contract, he gets paid nothing. This is why all players in the NFL cherish that "guaranteed" portion of their deal. Unlike baseball, contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed for the life of the deal.

It's weird, look into it further if you would like.I am not saying make his entire contract based on incentives. I am just saying they could fill the gap some with incentives.

jamze132
04-12-2009, 03:12 PM
I am not saying make his entire contract based on incentives. I am just saying they could fill the gap some with incentives.
Not going to happen for a 2 time Pro Bowler in his prime.

justasportsfan
04-13-2009, 09:54 AM
That would be great...the only problem is, Peters would never agree to it. .
any reports out there that he was offered such a contract? :idunno: